Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is best in optimizer pipeline
value numbering
code motion
peepholing
loop idiom recognition
legalization
thread gassing
op banning
View Results

• Locked thread
Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
how long before the embedded world gets first class cortex m-4 and subsequent support for building from llvm. also how long until i can stop having to loving compile cross compilers. these questions are probably linked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

The Management posted:

if by first class you mean broken every other day then m4 is fully supported.

what's the alternative to compiling cross compilers? you just want to download a binary that builds for EVERYTHING?

yeah, exactly, or at least some of the more popular targets: native and arm. clang can do it pretty well like rjmccall set because clang is already separate from llvm: the different thing you need is the llvm side that emits arm code instead of x86 or whatever.

the thing that honestly makes this an unrealistic whine instead of a real complaint is that arm-gcc-embedded is actually maintained by arm employees; but still, i (and i think a lot of other people, there are of course some politics in an email thread i can't be bothered to search for) really wish gcc had as clean a separation of frontend and back end as clang/llvm so you wouldn't have to recompile the goddamn binary every goddamn time.

• Locked thread