Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I get the motivation but they're useful tools if used responsibly so ultimately it's a setback for school. As an English teacher, having a world of words and sources at your fingertips banned is especially unhelpful. Il faut que la France se modernise un peu quand même.

That's not the point. Phones will be allowed for pedagogic purposes. Blanquer, the national education minister, is a fraud who will say anything to be on the media. We didn't need a law for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

cugel posted:

Blanquer, the national education minister, is a fraud who will say anything to be on the media.

They must miss him at ESSEC, a talent for hot air like that is prime business school material

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
https://twitter.com/gerardcollomb/status/1023979320484741120

How nice.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

seriously? 5 years in prison for popping a wheelie?

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

That gif is one of the funniest things the Ministère de l'Intérieur has ever posted and I commend whichever intern was responsible for it

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I like how popping a wheelie gets you five years more jail time than impersonating a police officer and beating up protestors if you're a high-ranking member of the Macron administration.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Ce gouvernement est quand même sacrément caractérisé par sa propension à faire des lois bien inutiles et merdiques.

Flowers For Algeria fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 1, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

We get those going down the Avenue de Fontainebleau all the time, but I mean 5 years? The injuries those kids run the risk of getting are far more than enough punishment.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/le_Parisien/status/1024220940417359873?s=19

De toute façon, c'est la faute de la CGT:

quote:

La faute aux « grèves, l’augmentation du prix du pétrole, le climat international avec cette guerre commerciale qui nuit à l’activité économique », justifie Bruno Le Maire.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

More proof that strikes hurt them and their profit margins, and that we should keep on doing it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

suck my woke dick posted:

Jupiter just banned smartphones in schools :confuoot:

Can they at least get phone calls from their parents or do they have to come in with a dumb phone for that (do they even sell them any more?)? In my experience that's the main reason why kids have a device since first grade: have something that allows parents to call during emergencies.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's not very clear since this is the entirety of that bill (past a pretty long preamble explaining why it's needed):

quote:

PROPOSITION DE LOI

Article unique

L’article L. 511-5 du code l’éducation est ainsi rédigé :

« Art. L. 511–5. – À l’exception des lieux où, dans les conditions qu’il précise, le règlement intérieur l’autorise expressément, l’utilisation d’un téléphone mobile par un élève est interdite dans les écoles maternelles, les écoles élémentaires et les collèges. »

Mobile phones are banned by default in kindergarten, primary schools and junior high schools, but each school will have the discretion to allow them in some cases. What form the ban will take in practice is probably also up to the schools. And it doesn't sound like dumb phones are exempted.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

Can they at least get phone calls from their parents or do they have to come in with a dumb phone for that (do they even sell them any more?)? In my experience that's the main reason why kids have a device since first grade: have something that allows parents to call during emergencies.
The use of a phone by the kids is banned on site, not the phones themselves, you little monsters can come to school with a phone in their backpack, they just can't use it. You may want to learn the school's phone number. And i suspect most school will have zones where phone use is allowed.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 1, 2018

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I get the motivation but they're useful tools if used responsibly so ultimately it's a setback for school. As an English teacher, having a world of words and sources at your fingertips banned is especially unhelpful. Il faut que la France se modernise un peu quand même.

agreed, hence more :confuoot:, less :toot:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I teach foreign languages and allow them because students do genuinely use them to look things up in class; much faster and broader than paper dictionaries. I realise that some just goof off, but I take the bad with the good.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

I teach foreign languages and allow them because students do genuinely use them to look things up in class; much faster and broader than paper dictionaries. I realise that some just goof off, but I take the bad with the good.
Well good news, the law literally allows phone use for pedagogic usage. It was legally muddy territory before with some people arguing that phone use should be entirely forbidden even for this potential use. Also while the law allows the "lycées"(15+years old students) who want to forbid phone usage to do so, i seriously doubt it will happen outside some private schools.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
we didn't have smartphones back in my day :corsair:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The fun thing is that cellphones were already banned in schools. It's just that nobody ever tried to enforce that.

It's pretty typical of how modern governments work.
1. "There is a problem with X! We must do something!"
2. Pass a law enacting Y to address X.
3. Do not actually provide any sort of funds that would allow to materially enact Y.
4. Problem X persists, so a few years later, go back to 1.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure what's going on with this hashtag but it's an entertaining scroll.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 13, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
:laffo:
http://www.businessinsider.fr/us/trump-has-bizarre-interest-with-macron-2018-8

quote:

President Donald Trump reportedly has a "bizarre" interest in French President Emmanuel Macron and randomly calls him, leaving France's leader confused as to why Trump has reached out.

A former national security official told Politico that Trump wants to talk to Macron "constantly," sometimes calling him for no particular reason.

"Macron would be like: 'Hey what are we talking about?' These are very busy people. You don't just call to check in," the official said. "The standard is you don't have your principal call unless you're asking for something or trying to reward a behavior, either a carrot or a stick. You don't just randomly call."

[...]

According to Politico, Trump also struggles to grasp the concept of time zones and aides have to remind him on a "constant basis" as he attempts to call other world leaders at awkward hours.

Now I'm imagined Macron getting woken up at like 3 in the morning by Trump yelling "what's up!" like in that Budweiser ad and it makes me smile.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Surely someone has done a YouTube mashup

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It sounds nightmarish and exactly what Macron deserves.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Apparently he also cold calls the Japanese government at 3am.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

:laffo:
http://www.businessinsider.fr/us/trump-has-bizarre-interest-with-macron-2018-8

Now I'm imagined Macron getting woken up at like 3 in the morning by Trump yelling "what's up!" like in that Budweiser ad and it makes me smile.

This is unironically the funniest world leader article I have ever seen.

My mom did that to me once; she went to visit her dad without telling me (I was in first year university and she didn't want me to feel bad about not being able to come to France) but she also caught a really bad flu, so in her weakened state she did the time zone conversion backwards. So it's 3am, I pick up the phone, and she's talking to me like everything's completely normal. Eventually I ask her where she is, she plays dumb and is like "what? I'm at home, obviously" and I'm like "yeah, mom, it's 3am here" and she's like "oh, poo poo. Ok, I'm visiting my dad"

I didn't feel bad about not going to France at all but I never, ever let my mom forget about the time when she mixed up the time zone difference and called me at 3am.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Et Hulo vient de quitter le gouvernement.

quote:

"On s'évertue à entretenir un modèle économique responsable de tous ces désordres climatiques", a-t-il aussi dit au micro de France-Inter. Et de citer, parmi les motivations qui l'ont conduit à cette décision, ses désaccords avec le ministre de l'Agriculture ("je ne veux pas passer mon temps dans des querelles avec Stéphane Travert") et la place des lobbies qui posent selon lui "un problème de démocratie".
C'est l'effet "coupé du monde", je pense.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 28, 2018

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Good for him IMO, he never should have brought any sliver of credibility to this government in the first place.

Now watch them reanimate Xavier Beulin’s corpse to give him the job.

edit maybe Frédéric Nihous

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Good for him IMO, he never should have brought any sliver of credibility to this government in the first place.

Now watch them reanimate Xavier Beulin’s corpse to give him the job.

edit maybe Frédéric Nihous
I wouldn't put my money on them :
Hedge-bet :
- Yann Werhling the Green /MODEM to keep Bayrou in his illusions of utility . 20%
- Corinne Lepage - to get Bayrou out on his illusions of utility . 20%
- NKM (or another green sensibility) from les Républicains to stir a little more poo poo there - 60%

Comedy option : Noêl Mammère or who the gently caress is still with Les Verts these days.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I mean, Hulot was excessively anti-nuclear and iirc also wasted too much time having strong opinions over GMOs and glyphosate. Him resigning is a win-win in that it not only scratches Jupiter’s ego but also means there’s one less green equivalent of a cold warrior in government making it hard to drag green politics into the present.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Suggestion pour un nouveau titre: French Politics: ces Gaulois réfractaires au changement

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Trust Macron to pick Julius Caesar when asked which Asterix character he would be.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Kassad posted:

Trust Macron to pick Julius Caesar when asked which Asterix character he would be.

I mean, he would be, ineffectual attempts to achieve victory against Asterix and all :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kassad posted:

The closest match would probably be Caius Saugrenus (Caius Preposterus in the English version). Who is a caricature of a young, technocratic Jacques Chirac.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Hahahahahahaha lmao a report co-commissioned by Hulot supports replacing retiring old reactors with newer reactors, I guess he was being a pissbitch and resigned over the prospect of having to support the mighty atom lol

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Flamanville 4 EPR has been delayed until the end of 2019 (8 years of delays!) and the costs have increased by €10.9 billion. The prospect of 6 extra EPR fills me with joy. :smith:

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 30, 2018

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It was pretty grating how the TV coverage talked about nuclear power plants in the context of global warming and climate change. In theory, we totally should replace them with more renewables, sure. In practice? It's going to be a choice between more fossil fuels or rolling blackouts.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

Flamanville 4 EPR has been delayed until the end of 2019 (8 years of delays!) and the costs have increased by €10.9 billion. The prospect of 6 extra EPR fills me with joy. :smith:
If the rollout of more EPRs is organised at least minimally sensibly (a big if) then you should expect to see costs come down substantially 2-3 units into the build program. The main issue big nuclear power plants in Europe/America have is that nobody has really been rolling out more reactors in the last 30 years so the first new plant requires rebuilding half the nuclear reactor construction supply chain and will therefore see the associated cost overrun. South Korea has been doing this and keeps building the most affordable reactors by always building one or two nuclear reactors at a time with no interruptions instead of doing a big rush followed by 30 years of nothing (the current government is way more anti-nuclear than the general population but unless they're willing to go all-in on coal that might change in a few years) .

And quite honestly even 10-12 billion euros per 1600MW reactor isn't actually ruinously expensive, it's just concentrated in one big impossible-to-overlook spot instead of in a thousand small projects with their individual issues in the case of renewables.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 30, 2018

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/1035107610217697280

Kassad posted:

It was pretty grating how the TV coverage talked about nuclear power plants in the context of global warming and climate change. In theory, we totally should replace them with more renewables, sure. In practice? It's going to be a choice between more fossil fuels or rolling blackouts.

We're not really trying to stray from uranium when the molten salts technique seems like a realistic option to pursue.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

urgh

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
je nique les moustiques

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Kassad posted:

So, who's Brutus then?