Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyandaber Z
Apr 8, 2009

R. Mute posted:

The thing to know about Macron is that voter turnout for the legislative election was 48,7%. I'm not one of those people that's saying Le Pen will get in at the next election, she never will. But democracy can die even if outright fascists aren't the ones pulling the switch.

Democracy is already dead, it's just not aware of it yet and keep walking as a rotten corpse. I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's too late to change course now and we'll have to crash and burn before we can rebuild, both for France and for the UE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyandaber Z
Apr 8, 2009

Kassad posted:

Muslim fundamentalists don't even have a snowball's chance in hell to get in any position of power. Meanwhile, the FN just had their candidate reach the second round of the presidential election and keeps getting their views published/aired in the media (and parroted by politicians from other party). Guess what: I'm more worried about the fascists who get to spread their ideas and organise than about the people hated by literally everybody.

Muslim fundamentalists are plenty in position of power. They don't need to be sitting at the parliament to expend their ideas and influence people's life, they can use peer pressure, harassment, or straight violence. Sure there's no law in the book, but in local areas, they have real influence, to the detriment of everyone else including moderate muslims. For them religious laws are above regular laws anyway.

The good news is that when fighting far-right racism, you're also fighting fundamentalists by denying them recruits and making their stance weaker. The bad news is we've been ignoring the hate-spreading from islamist assholes because it happens in poor areas, and now it's spilling out.