Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't understand this security bill. Who is it supposed to appeal to?

I can't find hard data but even right wingers online don't seem to like this. And last time France was really in the international news for me, it was the Yellow Vests which contained a notable right wing element at the very least.

I think one of the first bits of French news I ever saw was another protest from about 3-5 years ago where the protesters set a cop car on fire and the guy just kinda climbed out like "welp, that happened. Again."

My point is, reverence for cops does not even appear to be a French Right value. Macron is pissing off everyone.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

Fascists. Marine Le Pen has given it her approval IIRC. Over the past few years, much like in the US the whole "REVERE COPS NO MATTER WHAT OR DIE" sentiment has been growing in certain spheres, for similar reasons (breakdown of institutions, breach of trust with the gvt, fear of The Other, Post-Modernism (lol, but really youtube/facebook bs + old folks scared of antifa/antiracists/anticolonialism etc...).

EDIT : I also suspect that, since Macron is basically loathed by everyone ; and just about everyone expects the next election to be between him and Marine because the Left has imploded ; RN cunts would be more than happy to have a law giving them everything they need to oppress the *poo poo* out of their opponents without even having to take the flak for passing it.
As has been noted on my twitter feed, if that law, with that wording, had been proposed by an RN governement, even the Amicale des Anciens Combattants would be in the streets screaming fascism. But because Marcon & his crew pretend to be clean-cut, happy to negotiate democrats, and are in cahoots with a few major news owners ; it's just the usual "separatist" suspects realizing something's beyond hosed up.

quote:

Criticism also come from the opposition, with far-right leader Marine Le Pen saying that the government intends to “monitor and censor” the entire French population instead of dealing with the real threats.
https://www.politico.eu/article/france-ban-photos-police-violence-freedom-privacy-protests/