Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I didn't realize Mélanchon was so rabidly anti-EU that he'd throw poo poo fits for seeing the flag hanging at the Assemblée Générale lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Flowers For Algeria posted:

One grumpy remark upon seeing the flag in the middle of the floor of the Assemblée Nationale is not really "a poo poo fit".

Eh, fair enough. The article posted back then included he claimed it was a violation of laicité because the yellow stars on blue is apparently used in specific religious paintings? Or something? And it seemed like a genuine crazyman argument but he could just have been taking the piss.

You take that back!

Crabtree posted:

What's the ETA of Le Pen coming out of her dumpster and trying to hump Trump's leg as soon as he steps into Paris?

Speaking of, what has Le Pen been doing in the meantime? Sulking around? Or does she still poo poo up the public debate?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Hahaha. Okay, good. I hope she gets to sit the next years out in the shadows and keeps upsetting her dad.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Glad to see that random capitalization is common to cranks of all nations (with languages that have capitalization). :unsmith:

I wonder if cranky Japanese people use, say, random katakana or archaic kanji readings when trying to stress things that only make sense to them.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the clickbaity headline going around is 'hollande pays €26,000 on makeup' as though he's buying €10k bottles of eyeliner instead of paying the contractor who's job it is to apply the makeup you need to not look like poo poo on tv

Understandable mistake, but I think you meant Macron.

Pretty sure my girlfriend spends 26k every trimester on make-up tho.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, I can tell you that the reverse has happened in Jerusalem a few years ago. The municipality declared a program to provide all students at the local university with rent subsidies. Most landlords in the area immediately upped the rent by that amount (ignoring the fact that it was just a declaration, I'm not even sure if and how long it took for it to go into effect).

This is how it always goes with subsidies. Introduce a subsidy and prices increase because lol you can afford it right? Remove a subsidy and prices stay the same because lol if you could afford it then, you can afford it now, right?

I suggest

VitalSigns posted:

I recommend an immediate investment in guillotine technology

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Cat Mattress posted:

Problem is that French is one of these languages where the masculine gender is "weak" so it doesn't have markers and that makes it functionally equivalent to neutral.

For a comparison, in Spanish you have a masculine ending -o and a feminine ending -a. E.g. Latino and Latina. People have come up with using @ or x as a gender-neutral ending (I have no idea how they pronounce it, though). In French however, the feminine ending is -e and there's no masculine ending. So any attempt at making it gender-neutral has to include both an ending and the absence of an ending. There's no way you can do that without it being clumsy as all hell.

I suggest that we use English neologisms as a compromise. Joli or jolie? No, my friend, 't is "pretty".

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Glad I found this thread. I've been trying to understand this country's politics for a few years now and it's always been a hard nut to crack.

Talk about ambitious. Just because French used to be the language of diplomacy doesn't mean it's going to have a weird resurgence. How would one even go about re-instating a language at that sort of level?

Increase prestige and international appeal, kick the Anglos now they're down. Imho we should do the latter regardless of language policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
J'aime bien Quick. :(