Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Since May 15th, 2012, millions of people have been playing the hack & slash action RPG that has attempted to redefine the genre it created almost 25 years ago. This game has come a long way from launch and there is barely anything left of launch D3 outside of the release character classes and tile sets.

:siren::siren::siren: NEW & RETURNING PLAYERS :siren::siren::siren:
~The talented community pillar WolfCryer has created a series of newbie friendly guides to help explain the myriad game systems present in Diablo 3, these are also perfect for returning players who might be lost with all the new game mechanics.

Classes
The game is experienced through whichever class you are playing as. Diablo 3 launched with 5 classes and has added two through DLC.

Barbarian:

Demon Hunter:

Monk:

Witch Doctor:

Wizard:

Crusader (Launched with Reaper of Souls expansion on March 25th, 2014):

Necromancer (Launched with Rise of the Necromancer Pack on June 27th, 2017):

GAME MODES:
Softcore vs Hardcore:
Softcore is the classical gaming experience catering to all players. Hardcore is a separate gameplay mode that partitions from your softcore account, so things like gold, GR's unlocked and transmogs do not cross over. Hardcore means that your character can only die once. This dramatically changes many playstyles and regardless of your opinion on whether or not all deaths must be 'fair', there is no better way to improve your diablo 3 abilities than to learn the ins and outs of your class in high level GRs.

Campaign Mode:
LoL

Adventure Mode:
This is the meat & potatoes of Diablo 3. Diablo 3 consists of 1% leveling to 70 and 99% grinding resources to improve or replace your gear. You'll need a wide assortment of crafting mats to min/max in this game and so you'll need to get to know these different activities.
  • Bounties:
    Each of the 5 acts of the game spawns 5 randomly generated quests. Completing all 5 quests in an act rewards all party members with a bounty cache, and each act has unique materials, so full clears, often split between 4 people, are preferable.

• Nephalem Rifts:
    Dungeons that scale in difficulty where normal loot rules apply, scaling up as difficulty increases. Base Diablo 3 ended up with Torment VI, Reaper of Souls added Torment X, and we currently can set it up to Torment XVI. This is the only source of Greater Rift Keystones, and the best way to gather the essential Death's Breath crafting material, and the bulk of your speedfarming will take place here.

• Greater Rifts:
    A streamlined (or stripped down) approach in which loot is factored out, leaving you the ability to maximize your bone-crunching, body exploding skills. Ascend to the highest levels and attempt to place on the Leaderboards with all the greatest poopsockers, botters, and chinese account farmers in the world!

• Challenge Rifts:
    From the 2.6 Patch Notes: Explore new builds by other players in a weekly static dungeon! Each week you can try to complete a Rift using a specific, pre-determined class & build. The prize is the equivalent of a TVII Bounty Clear, give or take, and can be claimed on your Seasonal Character for a huge early game boost.

• Echoing Nightmares
    From Season 26/27 Patch Notes: In the Echoing Nightmare, players will experience an intense, densely packed, increasingly challenging event that stretches their ability to stay in the fight as long as possible. Our vision for Echoing Nightmares is to be a fun bonus activity, like the Vault, that serves as a good source of loot and Augment materials.

Game Systems:
  • Follower:
    There are three followers you can choose between for solo-questing to best maximize your performance, and in fact many endgame builds rely on them. These characters can be fully customized to augment & assist you in solo play at every level of difficulty.

• Crafting:
    There are 3 crafting NPCs in Diablo 3. Your Blacksmith, Jeweler, and Mystic are backbone of your mythical game of demon-smashing dolly dress-up. The game is an endless cycle of indentured servitude as you grind your flesh and bones against the unceasing millstone that is the demonic hordes in the hopes of perhaps a shinier buckle on your shoes and maybe a fresh bee for your bonnet.

• Kadala, Blood Shards & You:
    Bounties, Rifts, and Goblins can provide you Blood Shards, the gambling currency of Diablo 3. Calling Kadala sexist names because the RNG didn't give you what you wanted is sad and gross, don't poo poo up chat with this kind of talk. In general, it isn't worth it to gamble for amulets or weapons, as the time=/=resource cost makes upgrading rares faster after a certain point, but she will poo poo out setpiece items and the occasional clutch ring with regularity.

• Kanai's Cube:
    The saving grace of Diablo 3, Kanai's Cube is available from the Reaper of Souls Act III Zone, the Ruins of Szechaun Chicken. The cube allows you to mutate crafting materials into virtually any type of item or resource in the game, as well as improve your best existing equipment. By breaking down legendary items in Kanai's cube, you can equip up to 3 additional legendary powers beyond the armor on your back. This broke every build wild open the moment it hit, and the game has really blossomed as a result.

• Legendary Gems:
    Each time you complete a Greater Rift, one of 30+ Legendary Gems can drop for you. These gems possess incredibly powerful effects and can be leveled up by completing Greater Rifts to push your build to it's highest limit. Every End-Game build requires 3 Legendary Gems slotted into your rings and amulets, so sockets for these items are mandatory.

USEFUL LINKS:
https://maxroll.gg/: a website put together by high level streamers and community leaders, this offers the most content complete Diablo 3 resource online.
D3Resource.com: This handy-dandy resource guide for Diablo 3 contains a plethora of valuable checklists and calculators that allow even the most casual of Nephalem to take their characters to the dizzying heights of high-end gameplay
Icy Veins: A Blizzard-oriented fan site where many high-end GR grinders post their builds.
Diablo Fans: A fan site that acts as a community hub for the game. Most builds are posted here.
Kadala Minimum Level Chart: a resource for planning the earliest levels to gamble for key build items.
Difficulty Index: this shows you the differences in Exp., Loot, and Monster stats between difficulties
Ye Olde Range Chart

Major Streamers//Community Leaders:

Bluddshed: YouTube\\Twitch
Deadset: Youtube
Dropaduski:Youtube\\Twitch
Rhykker: Youtube\\Twitch
Wolfcryer: Youtube\\Twitch
sVr: Twitch
Bigdaddyden76: Twitch
Leviathan: Twitch
Discobear: Twitch
Wudijo:YouTube//Twitch

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
:siren:Season 27 Start Date:siren: : Friday August 26th @ 5PM PDT/CEST/KST

Blizzard posted:

Looking to turn the tide of an unremitting war between light and darkness, the Angels of the High Heavens have embedded a token of their righteousness in Sanctuary. Cunning Nephalem seeking an advantage in combat will undergo an angelic trial, crystallizing a symbol of their morality into pure, otherworldly perfection. The specific celestial force imbued within by the divine is unknown—an answer waiting to be sought on the battlefield. Go forth, Nephalem!

Season 27 introduces Light’s Calling, our new seasonal theme. Valiant Nephalem who recover Angelic Crucibles, a new consumable item, may use them to Sanctify any equippable Legendary item, infusing it with one of three new class-specific powers at random. We wanted to use Angelic Crucibles to lean into the expertise of each class, further exemplifying its respective prowess, but through a nuanced lens. The High Heavens are home to ethereal splendor, bursting with boundless radiance—we wanted to provide players with a taste of untainted power as doled out from Heaven itself.

Haedrig's Gifts
  • Barbarian – Wrath of the Wastes
  • Crusader – Roland’s Legacy
  • Demon Hunter – Unhallowed Essence
  • Monk – Raiment of a Thousand Storms
  • Necromancer – Bones of Rathma
  • Witch Doctor – Helltooth Harness
  • Wizard – Tal Rasha’s Elements

Nintendo Switch Diablo 3 Goons:

Bust Rodd posted:

SW-5002-8050-9746

Suburban Dad posted:

Edit: in for diablo budz though SW-3528-9774-7197

Vic posted:

we can be diablo buds SW-0424-0008-8915

Meridian posted:

SW-6111-9281-4057

RodShaft posted:

Switch me...
SW-0430-8912-2720

Russad posted:

based on another diablo thread pretty sure my code is 5307-0485-5998

External Organs posted:

Super stoked to goon up on switch in a few weeks.
SW-4984-2928-8765

Barreft posted:

7329-3822-6987

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 27, 2022

mewse
May 2, 2006

I shoulda known

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Wow, you actually used my subtitle.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Woot ground floor. Got my necro to 70 using cheater gear. Now to wait for the nerds to figure out the fastest clear spec.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Necromancer is fun, but the corpses are ugly and it has like a third of the transmog options of other classes. Dressup is like half of this game.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

veedubfreak posted:

Woot ground floor. Got my necro to 70 using cheater gear. Now to wait for the nerds at blizzard to make the character functional to figure out the fastest clear spec.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I can't wait to skellyman

:woop:

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Blizzard 2017: Lets make a new necro class, but lets take the two most popular playstyles and make them garbage.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Blizzard 2017: we guess the world just isn't ready for a black necromancer yet

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Excitedly downloading this new patch at a whopping 2KB/s :v:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Your cool bone daddy finally came back from the cigarette run. Probably because you're finally too old to be on his insurance.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The base game, and expansion are on sale :10bux: each. Battle chest is :10bux: :10bux:. PC version. No idea about consoles.

Bob James fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 28, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
From reading the skill descriptions it seems like an army of skeletons is actually hard to maintain? Not even sure if I want to kill time with this until the XCOM 2 / Forza 7 / Shadow of War quarter of hell.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I'm not sure if the passive that summons the 7 or so skeletons is constantly re-summoning them, or just slowly and steadily draining my essence.
Every time I look at it, it's just slightly less than full.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
I heard that the female necromancer and the Skeleton King are dating. Good for them.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I can't believe I wasted 15 bucks on this dammit blizz

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
how I feel right now

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Corpse explosion is so underwhelming and I know it's really because the graphics are half-assed. Can they really not just make it so you're actually exploding the actual corpse?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

berserker posted:

Corpse explosion is so underwhelming and I know it's really because the graphics are half-assed. Can they really not just make it so you're actually exploding the actual corpse?
I'm gonna guess that they really can't. Monster corpses don't particularly stick around in D3 - they get physics'd all over the place and like all of the elemental critical-kill effects either destroy or dismember them. That's the entire reason the whole "corpse" resource thingy exists, I imagine.

Then again, I really like CE, so /shrug.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Its entirely made up for by the fact that the phylactery hearts pump. Also corpse explosion is awesome and I like easily seeing what I can and can't explode.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I really like the corpse explode system. It's a really fun way to turn an entire screen of enemies into soup.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Those cartoon rib cage corpses that show up on the ground make me laugh

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Already working on a lovely build that I'll probably have to entirely redo later. At least I have my Demon Hunter SPEED WEED to make farming less of a pain in the rear end.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
First impressions on the necro by somebody who just started playing and hasn't seen endgame content yet, so take w/ grain of salt: It's going to need an awful lot of work to make it fun, unfortunately.

The good:
- voice acting seems fairly good most of the time (haven't tried the female version yet)
- stylistically the necro looks good, i think they nailed the aesthetics
- some of the skills feel really satisfying to use (i really like corpse explosion, the bone spirit is fun, the obligatory movement skill is cool etc.)
- some of the skills do a ridiculous amount of damage, and successful builds will probably exist centered around them

The bad:
- summoning skills are kind of a shitshow. Skeletons don't do enough damage to be worth it by themselves, golems seem kind of useless outside of maybe some weird builds, and...
- ... why the hell are all my passives so poo poo? I kind of expected at least some of the "make summoned poo poo better" passives like the WD has. The only one is "summoned units last 25% longer", which does gently caress-all when your skeleton mages only last 6 seconds by default
- skeleton mages and revives last only a few seconds, so minion playstyle gets spammy as poo poo
- here's a big one! you ready? We have an entire tree dedicated to curses, and none of them is Amplify Damage lmao. I thought there would be runes that do that, in order to buff up the pet builds, but nope!
- Generators do gently caress-all for damage as well, compared to the other classes
- skills are all over the place. it feels like design by committee, like four different teams had four different playstyles each in mind and tried to give you skills to enable all of them. the result is that none of the playstyles is especially well supported.

The ugly:
Skeletons and corpses look bad imo, especially the corpses

I'm going to keep playing this for a while and see if maybe I'm just missing something vital, but right now it feels like the class might become fun a couple patches down the road.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Corpse Explosion is cool, I guess that's what I'll use once the new season starts.

I just looked at my old non-season stash loaded with gear from 2 years ago and I now have an anxiety disorder.

Is there any reason to keep playing before Season 11 starts?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Corpse Explosion is very cool.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

botany posted:

- summoning skills are kind of a shitshow. Skeletons don't do enough damage to be worth it by themselves, golems seem kind of useless outside of maybe some weird builds, and...

I don't know, mine were really tearing it up in Catacombs, and they made short work of Andariel. They seam to lose steam in Act II, especially the Maggot Lai.......oh wait a minute.....

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ground floor in a massive thread for a game i barely play

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Serious question because I haven't played since RoS first came out:

Are the highest levels of play still only accessible to a very particular set of gear and skill loadout for each class? I hadn't played around with the cube, but I thought that was suppose to open up a lot more options.

I tend to enjoy the non-cookie cutter loadouts and hate being forced into something.

For example: I rocked a Summoner Druid in Diablo II and was poo poo on incessantly for not being able to clear Hell as quickly. But then I could just leave Boris (the bear) on the waypoint when a level 94 Amazon came to PK all of us. The Amazon would get one-shot - I would get a bunch of gold and an ear and everyone would laugh and praise my bear. This was the most memorable moment of my high school years.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I find corpse lance extremely fun, especially during land of the dead. There's just something about jamming its button and watching spines go flying.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Are the highest levels of play still only accessible to a very particular set of gear and skill loadout for each class? I hadn't played around with the cube, but I thought that was suppose to open up a lot more options.

If you're absolutely pushing to be the very best on the leader boards (with no rewards) then yes.

If you're just trying to get 90% of the way there you get a fair bit of freedom.

If you just want to stomp in demon's faces for 20-40 hours every season then pick a class at random and go wild and you'll hit at least GR70 (unlocks "Primal" items that come with maximum rolls on all stats).

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Are the highest levels of play still only accessible to a very particular set of gear and skill loadout for each class?

Short answer yes but long answer is that it depends what you consider the "highest levels of play". The only area of the game that is uncapped in difficulty are greater rifts, and if you want to compete on the leaderboards you will be using a cookie-cutter build.

But aside from GRs, torment 13 is the highest difficulty and offers a lot of flexibility in how you want to set up your character. Many people will take one of the GR clearing builds and replace a few pieces for a "speed" build, there are many speed builds are completely different than GR builds, you can ignore all that and just play what you want.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sir Lucius posted:

I find corpse lance extremely fun, especially during land of the dead. There's just something about jamming its button and watching spines go flying.

Yeah, I'm not likely to remove Corpse Lance from my skill bar any time soon. It looks amazing, and is so far very satisfying. Kill monsters, use bones of those monsters to kill other monsters. Metal. Land of the Dead is also an early favorite. But I'm only up to, like, level 35 on my lady Necromancer, because I didn't have a ton of time to play last night.

So far, I love her. I agree that I wish there were more pets. But the ones that are there are great. Having 7 Skellys up that I can send after one target for increased damage is surprisingly effective so far. Spamming the Mages isn't particularly fun, as you have to basically always be doing it while you have the essense. I've been sticking with Bone Spikes so far as my primary to keep myself out of the poo poo, but Scythe looks awesome, and I may switch to it as I build her up to be able to take a hit.

Basically, half way to max level, I'm having fun.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

mewse posted:

Short answer yes but long answer is that it depends what you consider the "highest levels of play". The only area of the game that is uncapped in difficulty are greater rifts, and if you want to compete on the leaderboards you will be using a cookie-cutter build.

But aside from GRs, torment 13 is the highest difficulty and offers a lot of flexibility in how you want to set up your character. Many people will take one of the GR clearing builds and replace a few pieces for a "speed" build, there are many speed builds are completely different than GR builds, you can ignore all that and just play what you want.

I have no interest for the leaderboards with no rewards - I just want to curbstomp demons for a while and find shiny objects.

I also like the Campaign mode. This is probably wrong of me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's too early to really judge the necromancer right now in my opinion, but i'm seeing players in non-season getting into the 95+ greater rift range already. Granted they have a crazy amount of paragon levels and it'll be interesting to see how the necro holds up in a new season. But the potential is very promising.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
as someone whose necromancer experience so far is clearing one act's worth of bounties, my opinion is that there could stand to be another couple models of corpse tied to enemy size

it's kind of silly when you kill a swarm of cockroaches and a bunch of full-sized human torsos pop out

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

I said come in! posted:

It's too early to really judge the necromancer right now in my opinion, but i'm seeing players in non-season getting into the 95+ greater rift range already. Granted they have a crazy amount of paragon levels and it'll be interesting to see how the necro holds up in a new season. But the potential is very promising.

You almost can't judge how these classes are going to perform based on non-season with 10+ seasons of paragon combined. When someone has 3000 paragon they can nearly literally waltz into 80+ with any set and crush it. That much makes such a huge difference you might as well be playing two characters at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think CE has some good potential with Inarius and that poison scythe thing but I haven't farmed up all the necessary pieces to make it all fit just yet.