Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Because the media can't conjure footage of antifa violence out of thin air, and it's about convincing people on the sidelines, not the opposition. We still live in a democracy as much as you hate that fact.

In the absence of violence they would be ignored. Status quo ante is we're ignored and marginalized while fascists have all the protection in the world from the police state.

"Democracy" has nothing to do with it, and you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

In the absence of violence they would be ignored. Status quo ante is we're ignored and marginalized while fascists have all the protection in the world from the police state.

"Democracy" has nothing to do with it, and you know it.

Democracy is the reason the way we look matters.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Democracy is the reason the way we look matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXo0lgcOHhg&t=96s

What do you mean "we," librul?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The liberal preoccupation with appearances and optics are the primary reason we find ourselves in the predicament of the Trump administration. Liberals were so obsessed with how they looked that they became paralyzed in terms of actually wielding the powers they had seized, and ran a candidate who was symbolically rich but substantively empty against an opponent who exploited all of his toxic qualities to create a cultural wedge that shoehorned his way into the oval office.

I'm done with hearing liberal appeals to appearances, and their fear of perceptions.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The liberal preoccupation with appearances and optics are the primary reason we find ourselves in the predicament of the Trump administration. Liberals were so obsessed with how they looked that they became paralyzed in terms of actually wielding the powers they had seized, and ran a candidate who was symbolically rich but substantively empty against an opponent who exploited all of his toxic qualities to create a cultural wedge that shoehorned his way into the oval office.

I'm done with hearing liberal appeals to appearances, and their fear of perceptions.

The optics of trump was person who isn't a politician going to see the poo poo partsoff the country and telling them he's going to make it better. The optics of Hillary was a corrupt life politician refusing to engage with the majority of the population. Optics matters but nor in the way liberals claim it does.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

That's also why stomping nazis out of the streets is more important than appearing reasonable.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's also why stomping nazis out of the streets is more important than appearing reasonable.

I don't understand how people like you miss the fundamental point that people who are currently unengaged in politics aren't going to climb on board if to the outside observer politics appears to be a mix of that more money for me gently caress you comic and that weird Russian full contact version of renfair SPADA armed combat.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Byolante posted:

I don't understand how people like you miss the fundamental point that people who are currently unengaged in politics aren't going to climb on board if to the outside observer politics appears to be a mix of that more money for me gently caress you comic and that weird Russian full contact version of renfair SPADA armed combat.

i am all for discouraging nazi sympathizers from joining up with nazis by making them afraid of the combat that will entail

i am also all for antifa protecting people and non-violent protesters from nazis who would like nothing more than to murder them and blame non-violent protesters for their own deaths

basically, antifa are great and help make politics a safe space for more leftist leaning people in this country run by a day-glo fascist

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I for one pine for the days of 1930's Europe, which ended well for everyone involved.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dont even fink about it posted:

I for one pine for the days of 1930's Europe, which ended well for everyone involved.

I mean it's like 2.50 for a candy bar nowadays. Them student loans and housing markets pop and it'll be a nice 50 gallon wheelbarrow for a Snickers

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

look it makes sense when you consider marx's famous prediction: "history repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as something really, really good that's not really a repeat at all"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mussolini took power in 1922 because nobody resisted the March on Rome, and Hitler got his second chance because the Weimar state treated his first attempted coup with kid gloves. The police sided with the Brown Shirts then, too.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Mussolini took power in 1922 because nobody resisted the March on Rome, and Hitler got his second chance because the Weimar state treated his first attempted coup with kid gloves. The police sided with the Brown Shirts then, too.

Understanding historical context is verboten to conservatives and centrist ideology only makes sense of you live in an ahistoric world where it's constantly 1994 and Communism is gone and it's the end of history

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"Look we agree with what you're saying but we have to lock you up in club med because we need to uphold the law" - the german authorities

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

To be honest, a big benefit I see to the antifa stuff isn't so much trying to prevent fascism (though that's also good) but more making real and direct political conflict visible. Like, it forces people to think about these issues and choose sides. It's a little hard to articulate what I mean, but the gist of it is that people might become more radicalized if they see this sort of direct confrontation taking place, as opposed to feeling powerless in a system where all political changes are made by elite politicians.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
as much as american's booed the soviet union they love the soviet model of politics: a strong figure that dictates policy to a legislature that exists to make his will law

like I bet you could get a chunk of americans to love lukashenko

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look guys the CCCP collapsed in the 90s. That means a communist party can never again gain power and we must suppress communists just in case. But there's been fascists since the 1950s so it's OK if more fascist nations or parties arise

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

has kickstarter gone too far???

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fallen Hamprince posted:

has kickstarter gone too far???

nah, hillary has

no doubt she's pouring money into this after endorsing this

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Come up with a name for the Peter Daou podcast, go

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Tweetfight Radio

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Loser's Circle

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Dao De Daou

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Hamilton Microbrewery

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Daou for the Count

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Daou’Reilly Factor

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Young Phalangists

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
2nd Place

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Daoubius Intelligence

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Just Chillin' In Sabra And Shatila

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
The Daou of Hillary

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

The Little Kielbasa posted:

The Daou of Hillary

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Are we getting to the stage yet where corncobs embrace the term? I recall a few republicans proudly calling themselves cucks in an dumb attempt to hijack the definition.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Clinton Trap Daouse

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
The Daoun Syndrome

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Top City Homo posted:

The Daoun Syndrome

:drat:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Really hope the dccc goes bankrupt.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

poo poo Dimitri, and it's ALL YOUR FAULT

and even after they told you how good they are

sad

also, how them tech dollars now you lanyard fucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The natural state of the lanyard liberal is to beg for money all day like NPR

• Locked thread