Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

slidebite posted:

Someone took a photos of a Syclone and a GNX that were handed in back in that time :(

An actual GNX or just a GN? That's loving criminal if it was the real deal. Pretty sure they only made like 547 of them to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, but I'm talking about aussieland, no cash for clunkers ever happened here. Cars just disappear if owned by non-enthusiasts when there's nothing rare or special about them. Good ones are saved and locked away, ones with nothing special are just not saved after 20 years.

In NZ smaller stuff like the Corolla/323 etc seems to have stuck around but bigger stuff is disappearing at an alarming rate. I can't remember the last time I saw a VT Commodore or pre-BA Falcon and they used to be everywhere. Applies to stuff like the Maxima too, but there are still a surprising number of Diamantes about ( I guess because of sheer volumes of grey imports)

The other thing is 'performance' cars like the Integra and FTO and especially turbocharged Subarus - the turbo Legacy wagon used to be everywhere and while they still are to an extent everything pre 03 has disappeared and the 03-08 shape is close to gone too.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Doesn't NZ have weird rules about HP/cylinder restriction and license levels? I was there for a bit and kids were given/bought 80s Japanese 4 bangers and had them for a few months before getting rid of them at blowout prices because they wanted something with performance the moment they got their full license.

Cash for clunkers is a mixed bag. On the one hand it's like you guys are saying, but on the other it managed to get rid of a lot of trucks with frame rust and cars with giant rust holes that people were holding on to because they couldn't get anything at all for them.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Nope no such restrictions - you can happily jump into an M5 with your learner license.

I think it's more that petrol is relatively expensive here, as is maintenance stuff and consumables like tyres

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I must be getting motorcycles confused with cars or something. All I know is I scored a perfectly good 85 Corolla from some youngin' for $900

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
I saw a Burgundy Tempo GL the other day, it looked it's age, but the owner tried to fight the decay, and it looks pretty good considering it's age and origin.

First gen Eagle TSi's and Mitsubshi GSX's. Wow did these cars go though hell during the Fast and Furious phase, I've seen an Eagle sitting on two flats in the driveway, next to a new WRX. A new car hoarder has been born.

Plymouth Laser AWD? Pfft HHAHAHhaha!

Chevy Beretta Z26's were nice looking cars, they look like they should be RWD. Instead they have trunk full of 12" speakers in the worst part of your city, maybe with a pitbull in the back seat? The interior of these cars wasn't...Durable.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

dissss posted:

In NZ smaller stuff like the Corolla/323 etc seems to have stuck around but bigger stuff is disappearing at an alarming rate. I can't remember the last time I saw a VT Commodore or pre-BA Falcon and they used to be everywhere. Applies to stuff like the Maxima too, but there are still a surprising number of Diamantes about ( I guess because of sheer volumes of grey imports)

The other thing is 'performance' cars like the Integra and FTO and especially turbocharged Subarus - the turbo Legacy wagon used to be everywhere and while they still are to an extent everything pre 03 has disappeared and the 03-08 shape is close to gone too.

In Australia the first gen Magnas have disappeared off the road, whereas the Camry of that era still stalk the roads.

XD-XF Falcons have all but disappeared as well, even though Ford sold them by the bucket load. I still see EF and EL Falcons around, and of course P Platers in VN-VS Commodores

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I've really noticed the last few years that pretty much anything post-1975 and carbureted* is gone in California. The only exception to that is the Toyota pickups, but they've disappeared if not 4WD. I did see a mint looking 1980 pickup with utility bed, looking almost perfect.

*Good loving Riddance! I've repaired things in this category and they aren't fun unless you have access to junkyard donors without similar issues. I did a 1978 Subaru GL wagon and ended up purchasing a NOS carburetor which made the restoration a whole lot easier as I probably paid Tomco $300 trying to get a workable carb and even sending them mine and getting back a grit-filled sandblasted leaky piece of trash.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I saw a goddamn Lumina Z34 the other day. Can't recall the last time I even thought about that car, much less see one.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Saw a Dodge Magnum earlier and I couldn't recall the last time I had seen one. They aren't that old.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Magnums were never really popular here but I agree, I hardly see them anymore. Another 10 years they'll be a unicorn. That said, dodge build quality in the 00s was still pretty horrific so it's not really surprising I guess.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Saw a very nice Peugeot 406 sedan that had met its demise by way of, what looked like, a unmovable 55 gallon drum right between the headlights. The 206, 306, 406 used to be everywhere (and one point they held the top three spots on the best selling cars list) but they're getting rare now.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Terrible Robot posted:

Does everyone posting in this thread live in/near major urban centers or in upscale suburbs or something? Because pretty much every single car in this thread I still see on a regular, sometimes daily basis.

The Chevrolet Celebrity.

edit: Wow this commercial for the Celebrity Eurosport VR is hands down one of the most specifically era-dated commercials I've seen. I half expected it to trap out into vaporwave at some point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfKyFkPC8Qs

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 14, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

bolind posted:

Saw a very nice Peugeot 406 sedan that had met its demise by way of, what looked like, a unmovable 55 gallon drum right between the headlights. The 206, 306, 406 used to be everywhere (and one point they held the top three spots on the best selling cars list) but they're getting rare now.

My parents across street neighbour has a diesel 406 Estate with north of 400,000kms AND a 90s Rover 800 (the one that was based on an 80s Honda). Talk about 'unique'

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Chevette and its variants (Pontiac Acadian), dodge daytona, the convertible Dakota (never saw many of them to begin with), Pontiac Lemans, Pontiac Asstek, Pontiac Torrent, Grand am, Oldsmobile anything, Geo somethings, full size Dodge vans, Ladas, the aforementioned Cloud Cars, anything Plymouth.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
If I had a nickel for every Jaguar X-type station wagon I've seen recently, I'd have... a nickel. Not sure if they count for this thread though, because I'm assuming only a handful were ever sold in the United States to begin with.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Most of mine have been mentioned already, but I used to see shitloads of chev chevetttes and Pontiac Acadians but I can't remember the last time I saw one.
I was also going to say Sprints but saw a nice little turbo today.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm 30 and even when i was a kid i never saw chevettes that i can remember. saw some omnis and such here and there, but the only chevette i can remember ever seeing in my entire life was one we passed every weekend on our way to my dads house in vermont when i was like 10, and it was obviously not running, sitting in really long grass and rusted to poo poo next to a mobile home that had a really beat-up old subaru station wagon that still ran but itself looked one pothole away from breaking into pieces due to rust.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Someone in the neighborhood I grew up in had a Chevette. They never drove it, it was basically preserved like a show car and their house was painted to match it (that 70s pea green color).

Trip report: saw a Ford Contour today, in somebody's yard For Sale. Looked clean.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Saw a Dodge Ares K at a convenience store yesterday. Driver looked to be in HS, so his first car might well be a fuckin' K in 2017. You go, kid. It looked surprisingly clean. My bet is a hand-me-down from grandma.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

gileadexile posted:

My first car was a 1987 Dodge Charger. Headgasket blew and after the family mechanic said it would cost more to fix than the car was worth, it was replaced by a two door Cherokee Sport.

Both cars I miss and NEVER see anymore.

I never even knew an 80s Charger was a thing that existed. My brain was happy to imagine they stopped making them in the late 70s, to find out there's an ugly angular 80s one has kinda made me sad.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Eat This Glob posted:

Saw a Dodge Ares K at a convenience store yesterday. Driver looked to be in HS, so his first car might well be a fuckin' K in 2017. You go, kid. It looked surprisingly clean. My bet is a hand-me-down from grandma.

One of my HS friends brothers got a 1985 Dodge 600 Turbo sedan as his first car. The turbo had long ago given up the fight for life so it was just a low compression, exhaust choked piece of poo poo.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I never even knew an 80s Charger was a thing that existed. My brain was happy to imagine they stopped making them in the late 70s, to find out there's an ugly angular 80s one has kinda made me sad.
:yeah: Never knew that either and it makes me sad.
:lol: they did this with the challenger model in the 80s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Challenger#Third_Generation_.281978.E2.80.931983.29
Speaking of mits/chrysler:

Eat This Glob posted:

Ha, so chrysler USA took a galant/sigma complete with astron engine and made it american 80s ugly? Who knew.
That's a car that disappeared in australia as well, the old RWD chrysler/mits like sigmas. Last seen in backyards or drag strips with SBC conversions being done.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Galant#Third_generation_.28A120.2FA130.3B_1976.E2.80.931980.29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Sigma

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 19, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Fo3 posted:

:lol: they did this with the challenger model in the 80s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Challenger#Third_Generation_.281978.E2.80.931983.29

Yeesh.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

these are so rare i didn't even know what it was. i had to get the card out of my dashcam, go through the video to find where i saw it and compare it with 80s chevy offerings to find out wtf i was looking at.

it's a chevy sprint? literally never even heard of this.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Aka Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Suzuki Swift

Come to think of it I haven’t see a Holden one for a good decade and they used to be everywhere in New Zealand.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

FuturePastNow posted:

Someone in the neighborhood I grew up in had a Chevette. They never drove it, it was basically preserved like a show car and their house was painted to match it (that 70s pea green color).

Trip report: saw a Ford Contour today, in somebody's yard For Sale. Looked clean.

My friend's old neighbour had a Chevette, well an Acadian actually in their backyard years ago, surrounded by tall grass and bushes and the one loving day that I said "If I ever need to remember what a chevette/acadian looks like I'll come here", the neighbour's friend showed up in a barely running early 80's Sunbird. They hacked away at the bushes and grass and tried towing the Acadian out of the ruts it had been sitting in for who knows how many years with the Sunbird (sun chicken). When that didn't work, they tried pushing it out with the chicken, finally, and successfully resorting to using the Sunchicken as a battering ram to get the Acadian out to the driveway. Where it sat for a while next to the 1970's body style Trans am that was up on cinder blocks before disappearing.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

IOwnCalculus posted:

Even third-generation Caravans are getting scarce. First and second generation ones are rare enough that, of all things, I actually notice them when I do see one.

To add to that - the S-series Saturn (SC/SL/SW). For a car they made for so long with relatively little change, there's not many left.

When I had an SL2 Saturn about 4 years ago, every trip I took to the junkyard for a part I had at least 8 to choose from, it was then I knew it was going to disappear rapidly. Of course, due to the GTA effect I see them often.

Echoing the Beretta and the Tempo - I did see a Beretta a while ago and was shocked to see it on the road. There's a lot of cars that I see sparingly and am SHOCKED to see them like they were old friends I forgot about completely.

EDIT: I saw a drat retired police 9C1 CAPRICE (mid 90s) the other day that blew my mind. I thought they had worn away to dust. Not to mention the regular 90's Caprice that was surprisingly clean. I see more wagons than sedans.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 20, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My first car was an 83 chevette. In 2000.

It was a truly awful car, but it was a 4-door, 3 speed auto with over 240k miles. The guy selling it also had an 82 Datsun 210 (not a b210, the 2 door sedan. Either of these are also passenger pigeons at this point) manual that i really wanted, but my dad insisted on buying American.

It was a very used POS that I was happy to get rid of.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Eh, it wasn't so bad, in context of the times. There was a Shelby version along with a Daytona that was essentially the same car, just different sheetmetal, digital doodads that came on a few year later. I think probably fuel injected too?

Mine had an auto, so it was slow as hell, but it was my first car, so :shrug:, I can't hate it completely.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

financially racist posted:

these are so rare i didn't even know what it was. i had to get the card out of my dashcam, go through the video to find where i saw it and compare it with 80s chevy offerings to find out wtf i was looking at.

it's a chevy sprint? literally never even heard of this.

The Chevy Sprint/Pontiac Firefly in factory intercooled Turbo form used to be quite common up here until the early 00s, when they were either finally destroyed by teenagers or bought by aspiring hypermilers when gas shot up who wanted to try to get 100mpg out of them or some loving thing and killed them in the process.

They're quite rare now, at least where I live.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Nissan 200sx (not the Sentra one from the late 90's, though come to think of it, yeah, that one too). I remember thinking "what the hell is that" when I saw one in 2002. Now, I'd be surprised if there's one remaining in the US.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Does anyone remember a couple years ago when tons of nearly immaculate Buick Centuries and Oldsmobile Cutlass Cieras started cropping up everywhere? Chevy Celebrities and Pontiac 6000s were well off the road by then. I figured it was Boomers getting too old to drive, and the grandkids inherited Paw Paw's old ride to drive to school. Now I don't see those models anymore either.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Nissan 200sx (not the Sentra one from the late 90's, though come to think of it, yeah, that one too). I remember thinking "what the hell is that" when I saw one in 2002. Now, I'd be surprised if there's one remaining in the US.

there was a nice one of those s12s for sale here for 3k a while back, looked bone stock and was in great shape.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Shlomo Palestein posted:

The S12 aka Gazelle? They're pretty common, I bet more so than Z31s. Now a manual turbo one, that is somewhat rare. The S12 Facebook group tend to have pretty rough cars, mostly Tein/rimzzz drifters, about half engine swapped. I haven't seen anyone keeping one stock.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

If I had a nickel for every Jaguar X-type station wagon I've seen recently, I'd have... a nickel. Not sure if they count for this thread though, because I'm assuming only a handful were ever sold in the United States to begin with.

I never got the hate for X-types.So what it shares a ton of parts with the Contour? If I'm going to drive something that's constantly in the shop, I'd rather the parts cost $Ford rather than $Jaguar.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Contour and X-Type are based on entirely different generations of the Mondeo, so I don't think that's a thing.

edit: At least, in the US.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DJ Commie posted:

The S12 aka Gazelle? They're pretty common, I bet more so than Z31s. Now a manual turbo one, that is somewhat rare. The S12 Facebook group tend to have pretty rough cars, mostly Tein/rimzzz drifters, about half engine swapped. I haven't seen anyone keeping one stock.

in both of the parts of the country i have lived in this is definitely not the case. i still have never actually seen an s12 in person and only ever seen them in ads, whereas in addition to the z31 i used to own, i've seen three just in the town i live in now.

i mean poo poo i've seen two subaru xts, several ferrari f40s, even rode in a lotus esprit, but never once seen an s12.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

financially racist posted:

in both of the parts of the country i have lived in this is definitely not the case. i still have never actually seen an s12 in person and only ever seen them in ads, whereas in addition to the z31 i used to own, i've seen three just in the town i live in now.

i mean poo poo i've seen two subaru xts, several ferrari f40s, even rode in a lotus esprit, but never once seen an s12.

my friend owned several as beaters maybe 8 years ago. he moved away but i bet he still has one or two. they cant be that rare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

Plenty of VT's around me, but I do live deep in the heart of West Auckland, so solid bogan territory. A32 Maxima's used to be everywhere (I had one till last year) but they're succumbing to front crossmember rust. Agree on the Integra's, in fact just about any clean pre-2000 Hondas are thin on the ground.

What I did see the other day was the cleanest Leyland P76 I've ever seen, piloted by an old dude in a cloth cap.

Fo3 posted:

Speaking of mits/chrysler:

Ha, so chrysler USA took a galant/sigma complete with astron engine and made it american 80s ugly? Who knew.
That's a car that disappeared in australia as well, the old RWD chrysler/mits like sigmas. Last seen in backyards or drag strips with SBC conversions being done.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Galant#Third_generation_.28A120.2FA130.3B_1976.E2.80.931980.29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Sigma

Oh man, when I was a kid my mum had a JDM Sigma Turbo almost exactly like the one in the WP article:

Except in typical Japanese fashion, we didn't have the GSR model, we had one of those base model trim but top line engine combos. Same white paint, black bumpers and hockey stick mirrors, but steel wheels with hubcaps and trim rings, no headlight wipers, wind-up windows, no AC. Still kept the sweet 80's TURBO decals tho, included stitched on every seat. They all rusted away here, starting in the doors, then the front guards, then the pillars.

• Locked thread