Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

My wife is a mean old hag - we can attend card game tournaments hassle-free

My wife is a body pillow with a nubile waifu printed on it, as is the custom at my nerd store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Moon Monster posted:

My wife is a body pillow with a nubile waifu printed on it, as is the custom at my nerd store.

How is the ol' bag?

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009
My almost-wife is probably the one who would be dragging me into the nerd store. I will report back whether I get eye-molested as the sexy trophy husband or not.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

ubermarcus posted:

My almost-wife
Mr. Wiseau is that you?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

coolusername posted:

I once walked into one of the stores because I wanted the cool dragon statue in the window, and the entire store of sweaty neckbeards paused in their card games and turned their head to stare at me. I was also underage and in a school uniform.

Man I never agree with the "Watch how you dress in certain areas when female" critique but if there was one time where it applies this is probably it, that sounds like a horror show

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure there's a point where it literally doesn't matter what you wear. If anything a fursuit or HAZMAT suit (or HAZMAT suit with ears and a tail) would draw less attention. Creepers gonna creep.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Aesop Poprock posted:

Man I never agree with the "Watch how you dress in certain areas when female" critique but if there was one time where it applies this is probably it, that sounds like a horror show

I'm gonna hazard a guess that if coolusername was a kid at the time, the school uniform was an actual school-required uniform, not a cosplay thing. It's kind of cruddy to judge girls/women for wearing educational/professional dress just because straight men fetishize said dress.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
That said, I'm picturing an audible gasp when she walked in, followed by several dozen thought bubbles of "It's just like in one of my Japanese animes!" coming from the wall of old fat with hair in only the wrong places, and the assumption that all visible disgust on her behalf is just "tsundere".

*involuntarily shudders at the mental image*

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

John Lee posted:

If it helps, as an ugly man I can say that I also get weird looks from nerds in nerd stores and feel quite uncomfortable.

You may be an ugly man, but you make a beautiful woman. To nerds in nerd stores.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I walked into the local fetid nerd dungeon with my VERY ATTRACTIVE wife and BOTH of her huge boobs on one of the rare occasions when she has an off-day from lingerie modeling. As the disgusting hamdemon rang up my Funko Pops while leering at her DD cups he casually asked me if I was going to have sex with my "very attractive wife" (his words not mine!).

"Yes!" I shouted so that the whole store could hear, "Me and my very large dong are absolutely going to be having sex with this SUPER-HOT chick who I AM in a relationship with." I then took the Funko pops, my hot wife, both of her huge boobs, and rode off on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, plotting on how to relate this story and the great sex I'm having in order to increase my social standing on the Something Awful forums.

Is your wife also very pregnant? 'Cause if so, congrats, now you've got a 50 Foot Ant story.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Blast Fantasto posted:

My wife is a mean old hag - we can attend card game tournaments hassle-free

Real talk: when women who are not-so-attractive walk into game stores, they still get hassled - just instead of inept flirting, it's being called a "bitch" a lot. And also some inept flirting. If anything, it's worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Real talk: when women who are not-so-attractive walk into game stores, they still get hassled - just instead of inept flirting, it's being called a "bitch" a lot. And also some inept flirting. If anything, it's worse.

This is very true. Almost all women run the risk of getting harassed in these type of stores. We recently hired another woman and she's been the center of attention because she is a serious MTG player. She got married a week ago and the disappointed reactions from some of the customers have been very frequent.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
The woman who used to work at the comic & game store I frequent was married from the time she started there, and even some regulars who knew she was married would still try to make passes at her. There's at least one guy in the group who has creeped on basically every woman who's tried to join the weekly boardgame meetup, but he usually stops after being told "no" once. The few creeps that don't stop usually stop coming within a few sessions because our group is pretty good about letting those types know that that's unacceptable.

I've never been to any of the store's MTG nights or anything, though, so maybe those groups are worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For my coworker it's pretty much a daily thing. She's really cute and takes it in stride but yeah, it happens every time she works. A few weeks back this dude came in and left then came back an hour later and says to her "I forgot something earlier, your phone number" and I audibly groaned.

I have no room to talk though, a long time ago a girl came in looking for Green Lantern stuff and she clarified "Alan Scott, the REAL Green Lantern" and I asked her to marry me before I could stop myself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhyno posted:

For my coworker it's pretty much a daily thing. She's really cute and takes it in stride but yeah, it happens every time she works. A few weeks back this dude came in and left then came back an hour later and says to her "I forgot something earlier, your phone number" and I audibly groaned.

This is women working in retail and food service in general. You smile and be polite because it's your job, but a certain strain of guy interprets that as being really into them because it's better than the normal reaction they get from women.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

John Murdoch posted:

Is your wife also very pregnant? 'Cause if so, congrats, now you've got a 50 Foot Ant story.

She's been at 8 months for the last 5 years. The doctors are baffled!

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Rhyno posted:

for Green Lantern stuff and she clarified "Alan Scott, the REAL Green Lantern" and I asked her to marry me before I could stop myself.

I winced visibly when I read this.

I haven't been to a con or a nerd store since I went full-time. Does anyone know how they are for trans ladies? Better? Worse? Depends?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Hate Fibration posted:

I haven't been to a con or a nerd store since I went full-time. Does anyone know how they are for trans ladies? Better? Worse? Depends?

Probably depends on location. I don't feel I've been harassed but I may be oblivious.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hate Fibration posted:

From what I've seen, depends - if you seem straightforwardly male or female nerd store types generally won't look past surface impressions. If you're visibly non-binary or otherwise don't conform to gender stereotypes, you'll probably get a frostier reception.

There absolutely are very LGBT-positive (and positive in a good way, as opposed to fetishizing) groups that go to cons and nerd stores and whatnot, but they tend to be specifically organized groups unto themselves in my experience.

But, depends on your area. I'm from the Deep South, where LGBT groups in any hobby and community tend to be close-knit little subcommunities.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Antivehicular posted:

I'm gonna hazard a guess that if coolusername was a kid at the time, the school uniform was an actual school-required uniform, not a cosplay thing. It's kind of cruddy to judge girls/women for wearing educational/professional dress just because straight men fetishize said dress.

Yeah, I was in a school uniform, it's required for highschools here. Which means I probably WAS straight out of those Japanese animes with the crime of being a 15 year old in a short skirt... At least I wasn't wearing pigtails.

I have had other nerd experiences, but they're slightly less ultimate creepy. I was into Marvel comics for a while, and while I was shopping for the latest ones I wanted I got cornered and nerd checked by a neckbeard about why I didn't know the fifteen crossovers of this one comic and its 80 year old history, followed by learning that what I liked wasn't Real Comics, and that I needed Grimdark BloodySlaughter Assinathong issue #200. There's a reason I only read one series now as an adult, and I only buy it from actual book stores.

ETA: to clarify, I mean literally cornered. I was up against a shelf and he was in my space blocking my exit so I could observe the Superior Comic Selection he was holding.

coolusername has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Jan 12, 2018

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
We had an older man who came in 2 or 3 times a year and each time he would only look for "Nick Fury" comics. He made some very low key remarks about Nick Fury Jr that showed that he was looking for David Hasselhof Fury and was likely racist. He never bugged anyone would mumble about how he can't believe what they did to the character, bought some stuff and left.

So one time I was showing him the stuff that had come out since he was last in and a dude hanging out said "You should get this Nick Fury stuff - he's Samuel Jackson!" the old dude yelled "they made him a loving halfbreed" and dropped the stuff he was holding and was never seen again.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Hate Fibration posted:

depends on the local scene and whether the individual managers are jerks or allow their customers to be jerks, some places will be good and have zero tolerance for harassment and others will let their regulars run amok

i would guess get the only thing to be consistently wary of is a huge event that brings in a bigger crowd, like these mtg tournaments for e.g., because it's bound to bring in the creepy dregs too tho there will be plenty of regular well-mannered people and it's hard for organizers to police everyone even if they don't actually want these incidents to happen at their events

hard counter has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Jan 12, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hard counter posted:

depends on the local scene and whether the individual managers are jerks or allow their customers to be jerks, some places will be good and have zero tolerance for harassment and others will let their regulars run amok

i would guess get the only thing to be consistently wary of is a huge event that brings in a bigger crowd, like these mtg tournaments for e.g., because it's bound to bring in the creepy dregs too tho there will be plenty of regular well-mannered people and it's hard for organizers to police everyone even if they don't actually want these incidents to happen at their events

I'd also ask the manager if he knows about any specifically girl-focused or LGBT-focused groups that meet. Game store communities tend to be pretty cliquey in my experience.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Years ago at my LNS, we had a regular gaming group that would play on Fridays. One night a new person joined the group and when I got to the table, he told me to go and make him a sandwich and then started sort of this phlegmy horking sound that I think was maybe laughter? Everyone kind of froze him out after that, and he didn't come to another group. He was incredibly fat - to the point where he needed a scooter to get around, so to this day sometimes I wonder if he was just being an rear end in a top hat or if he really was in desperate need of a sandwich, and maybe died because I didn't bring him food. :ohdear:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Antivehicular posted:

I was joking but I was expecting someone to respond with this, I was thinking of an underage girl in a japanese school girl uniform entering a sweaty nerd convention and the horrifying immediate result, not actually offering cultural criticism I don't agree with

edit: oh this is actually what happened lmfao

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Jan 13, 2018

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I never even got the statue. rip.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hate Fibration posted:

Hey I said I had no room to talk and it was a very long time ago.

One of my weekly regulars has transitioned over the last two years or so and I think we treat her very well, probably better than our other customers really. She made a big point of coming in and letting us know what was about to happen because the store is one of her safe spaces and didn't want to alienate us. For all that effort that she didn't need to make it made us feel pretty honored so we go above and beyond to make sure she's never uncomfortable. Pronouns took a bit but we ironed that out.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Hate Fibration posted:

A friend of mine mentioned that when she played at the local store nerds would follower around and make her feel uncomfortable.

So I guess they’re treating her like every woman that sets foot in the store.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The problem you're all having is that your going to Nerd Stores. You need to go to Nerd Impound Lots, renting nerds is much cheaper and you can take them back if they get ornery.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
You can get open-box or lightly damaged nerds on the cheap if you just shop at nerd warehouses or outlets.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SpacePig posted:

You can get open-box or lightly damaged nerds on the cheap if you just shop at nerd warehouses or outlets.

Trust me, especially with nerds, you do not want damaged goods.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Trust me, especially with nerds, you do not want damaged goods.

Is there any other kind? You’ll never find one in a box.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Maybe there’s a market to take advantage of our idiot irony culture and make a series of collectible nerd inaction figures.

I’ve got a Wispy Chris in the box with three different swappable lengths of pube beard. I keep him right next to Balding at 20 Tim and my special edition Fake Gamer Girl with light up cleavage.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Actually the "Obsessive Kojima Fanboy" model sometimes comes in a box. It's usually mislabeled though; look for "THE ORANGE".

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I used to work at a game store and one of our Friday Night Magic regs started crossdressing, then eventually transitioned. I know she did get a few comments, but the other regs always shut it down.

Notable crappy dudes:
-A ~40 year old yu gi o player who asked me if I was 18 yet and when I said no, leered and said "Well how long do I have to wait?"

-The greasy, gangly acne guy in super faded black jeans who, on my last day, mournfully told me he would take me on a date to Burger King if only he had the money

-Two guys came up to the counter and one was asking me my opinion on the best deckboxes. I started telling him what I thought and guy2 cut me off all "She doesn't know what she's talking about, ignore her, get this one"

But the absolute best one, I was working alone one afternoon and this guy comes in looking to sell some old gaming materials. He was super obese, huge beard, crappy tattoos, and wearing a sleeveless purple jerkin with a literal leather mug on his belt. Ok. Good start.

I told him only the owner decides what to buy so we could hold his stuff and give him a call later. He started arguing and, as I kept repeating that I'm not a buyer, starts talking about how he's an archangel and god will smite anyone who gets in his way. I'm just kind of staring at this point because WHAT?

Finally he grumbles, gives me the materials and his info, then wanders back into the gaming area. 10 minutes later, one of the younger regs who was always a trustworthy kid comes up front and tells me that I need to go to the gaming area. Because Jerkinman is trying to convince a kid in a wheelchair that he could get up and walk if he just believed in Jesus enough so come on, let's pray together.

So I kicked Jerkinman out, apologized to wheelchair kid, and we implemented a "no faith healing" policy going forward.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Of course the Lich Queen would take issue with faith healing.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
You should've called the cops and reported the guy for having a mental illness and being incoherent, and they would've shot him. A win for the gene pool.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

doverhog posted:

You should've called the cops and reported the guy for having a mental illness and being incoherent, and they would've shot him. A win for the gene pool.

I suspect the man was white, so they wouldn't have.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Ah, well maybe they would've transported him to a hospital to be observed and possibly admitted then. Still could count as a win? :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

doverhog posted:

Quite edgy goonsire *tips fedora*

• Locked thread