Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

lolololololol you could have gotten six times as much paint for a quarter of the price if you weren't so weird about "paint you wont use". Especially for a costume - hobby miniature paint has a shitload more pigment in it than regular craft acrylic because it's meant to be thinned, and you'd never need that on a costume....and GW paint is insanely marked up even then.

The amount of paint I've needed at the time (and since), has been those tiny-rear end little bottles of paint, which set me back about ten bucks, and worked exactly as I wanted it to for the costume.

Despite your claims, I made the right decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

lolololololol you could have gotten six times as much paint for a quarter of the price if you weren't so weird about "paint you wont use". Especially for a costume - hobby miniature paint has a shitload more pigment in it than regular craft acrylic because it's meant to be thinned, and you'd never need that on a costume....and GW paint is insanely marked up even then.

MisterBibs'd again!!

:confuoot:

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
A few years ago when I was in the Army I started painting a small Space Marine Army. After a few months and little financial worry I had amassed a pretty big army. I started playing 40k at local hobby shop and met some good people that I still keep in contact with. Everyone was real chill and real mellow about playing, not alot of rules lawyering and generally pretty fun. We would play big Armageddon games just on a whim and such. Really hooked me into playing 40k every weekend for a few months.

Then I got out of the Army and moved down to Austin, Tx. I was still super into 40k and wanted to continue to play and paint and have big dumb fun. So one night I decided to play a game at the biggest comic book/hobby store in the area. I should have known it was going to be an issue when I arrived there and the stink of sweat and heavy breathing got me. I should have known it was going to be an issue when no one would play me except in the stores competitive ranked system they designed. It took me longer to place my pieces down and get ready then it did for the guy to clear my army out before the second turn. 40k is a super unbalanced game and people love their bullshit rules in ATX.

After that I shopped a few more store around the city but found the same sort of thing, Everyone was super competitive and way too into it in a weird way. I finally left the hobby for good when they opened a Games Workshop store near me and I stopped in only to be totally ignored by the only employee cause "I didn't seem like I belonged here"

My Army makes for a nice looking centerpiece in my house now thought. So thats nice.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I take my kids to the Pokemon League at the local game store. There's never anything really awful except, you know, grown men playing Pokemon and complaining when my son looks over and helps my 6 year old daughter out a bit.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

ikanreed posted:

When I rarely go to a game store, I become incredibly uncomfortable with the way I've let the facade of maturity stand in the way of enjoying immature things, and the deep contradiction the rare exception makes.

As a child, I always thought that adult life was doing nothing but being at work, commuting to work, checking the stock market every five minutes and planning for the next divorce.

Naturally, I was right.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sic Semper Goon posted:

As a child, I always thought that adult life was doing nothing but being at work, commuting to work, checking the stock market every five minutes and planning for the next divorce.

Naturally, I was right.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

More like oldpainnes.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Sunswipe posted:

More like oldpainnes.

:golfclap:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
One time me and a friend I hadn't seen since elementary school ended up both being in Dallas so we hung out at the Grapevine Mills Mall cuz he was near there for some reason. We went into the GW there cuz we're nerdsand I was showing him a copy of the Liber Chaotica.

Manager says "you should by that!" I say "I own it, I'm just showing him." Manager says "Buy another!"

Great upsell, friend.

I've never had any awful experiences, definitely some weirdos and some serious fatsos but no one that was disgusting to be around or awful to talk to if you could deal with the social anxiety they had. However, nerd store employees, ugh. Mandatory aggressive salesmanship + awkward shut-ins makes for customer service so bad that I always had to think long and hard before going into a store, especially a Games Workshop. I dealt with that manager a few times and he liked to check what you were buying and thrust boxes from that faction into your hands unasked for.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I made the mistake of asking at a Games Workshop if they sold D&D dice and got verbally bullied by a bunch of fuckin' nerds.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
In what manner?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Throb Robinson posted:

Then I got out of the Army and moved down to Austin, Tx. I was still super into 40k and wanted to continue to play and paint and have big dumb fun. So one night I decided to play a game at the biggest comic book/hobby store in the area. I should have known it was going to be an issue when I arrived there and the stink of sweat and heavy breathing got me. I should have known it was going to be an issue when no one would play me except in the stores competitive ranked system they designed. It took me longer to place my pieces down and get ready then it did for the guy to clear my army out before the second turn. 40k is a super unbalanced game and people love their bullshit rules in ATX.

Was this at Dragon's Lair? I've never noticed a nerd-stink problem in there, but I've also never gone to an organized-play event, just done regular nerd shopping. Their old location was small enough that I imagine a decent-sized group of nerds with indifferent hygiene could stank that place up, though.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Strudel Man posted:

In what manner?

Me? They gave it the whole. "Heh, we don't stock those dice. Do you not know the difference between was we represent and what, ugh, D&D represents? How could you not know?"

Though when I DID get the dice at another store the dudes behind the counter didn't even talk to me and were just quoting Dr. Who to each other. Lesson being, don't ever go into any kind of nerd store.

Also I never even got to play D&D in the end.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
My local game shop from my middle school days had lots of the usual weirdos but enough fairly normal people to make it worth hanging out there. That was until it went under new ownership. The nerdy but reasonable guys got bored and sold to one of the most loathsome gameshop owners I've ever met. The look was about like comic book guy but the stench really stood out. You couldn't really hang around the front of the store anymore but the back where the gaming tables were tended to just have the normal game store funk. Then the rumors started. Several people had shown up around opening time and swore that they saw him sleeping under one of the tables. You might think that sleeping in the gamshop was related to his stench but the bathroom of this particular gameshop actually had a shower in it. It was almost like the architect had tried his best to accommodate this situation, failing to see how low a human can be. You see it gets worse. He stopped leaving the register by the front of the store, eating nothing but delivery food and sitting in that chair open to close with a blanket wrapped around himself. Why a blanket in the middle of summer? One day we found out. There was a display of magic and other card games booster packs on the wall behind the register. Several young boys, maybe 8 at most, had come in with their mother to buy magic cards and as the crapulent gameshop owner stood up to reach for these cards we found out exactly why he was wrapped in a blanket. He apparently had not been wearing pants for the past several months. As hundreds of customers came in and out of his store he had been sitting wrapped in a blanket because he according to the rumors no longer owned any pants; or underwear. After that sight, business declined precipitously and the gameshop closed it's doors a few months later.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The only nerd store near my place downtown also sold surplus military gear, except it was all like knock off soviet and nazi style gear. Really strange looking at board games and walking past the Warhammer aisle and getting a face full of mannequins wearing soviet uniforms.

They would also have a rented space where it was always the same group of people playing magic or warhammer. The place didn't even sell magic cards so it's no wonder they went out of business. I really have no idea how they stayed in business for so long, they didn't sell anything a normal person would want.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I've stopped going to my local gaming store because there's this pack of weirdos that will follow anyone vaguely feminine around, regardless of whether or not they're with someone. They're all basically clones, too. They all have the long, greasy pony tail, the pube goatee, super tall and lanky, and all really terrible at social interactions. Every time I'm in there and they're there too (which is often, I think that's where they hang out) they'll just... follow me around. I tried being SUPER OBVIOUS that I was in a relationship, kept being super affectionate to my SO, etc. They still just like

followed me. They didn't do anything or get too close, but wherever I'd move in the store, they'd walk behind me and just keep glancing sideways at me. Apparently they do that to anyone vaguely feminine but goddamn if it wasn't uncomfortable.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
When I was a kid I was in one of the two comic book/trading card shops in our town and noticed some other kid looking around kind of shady. He pulled out an ice pick and just casually punched holes in some of the trading card packs sitting on the shelving and briskly walked out. The owner was working the counter, I went to tell him and he just said "yeah <competitor> sends kids over to do that" like it was just a regular, everyday thing. This competitor was a real douche so it didn't surprise me, even if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I totally would have believed it. Comic book shop owner from the Simpsons almost to a T.

Maybe this happens a lot in these niche retail sectors? I don't know, I got over that phase shortly thereafter but pretty loving ridiculous.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Drunken Baker posted:

Me? They gave it the whole. "Heh, we don't stock those dice. Do you not know the difference between was we represent and what, ugh, D&D represents? How could you not know?"
Huh. I really thought they would have had them, too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Strudel Man posted:

Then you do not know the special, special atmosphere of an Official Games WorkshopWarhammer retail store.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Games Workshop store managers are usually the worst and anyone who goes into one willingly really should know what they're getting into. I actually had a local GW store several years ago that was huge, with lots of playing space, and the nicest, friendliest guy on staff. He wasn't pushy with upsells, he was hygienic and didn't creep on girls or anything - I always kinda wondered if he got the job after working at a Best Buy or something like that because his people skills were really on point. Anyways, this place was legitimately the only good GW store I've ever been to so of course it closed unceremoniously like a year later despite always being filled with nerds buying poo poo.

Strudel Man posted:

GW only sells GW poo poo, for dice that means big cubes of D6s, and occasionally a D6 with some arrows or some poo poo printed on it to use for directional randomization.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

quote != edit (I think that might be the first time I've done that!)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sociopastry posted:

I've stopped going to my local gaming store because there's this pack of weirdos that will follow anyone vaguely feminine around, regardless of whether or not they're with someone. They're all basically clones, too. They all have the long, greasy pony tail, the pube goatee, super tall and lanky, and all really terrible at social interactions. Every time I'm in there and they're there too (which is often, I think that's where they hang out) they'll just... follow me around. I tried being SUPER OBVIOUS that I was in a relationship, kept being super affectionate to my SO, etc. They still just like

followed me. They didn't do anything or get too close, but wherever I'd move in the store, they'd walk behind me and just keep glancing sideways at me. Apparently they do that to anyone vaguely feminine but goddamn if it wasn't uncomfortable.

This kind of thing is why I gave up on playing dungeons and dragons except with personal friends. Too many bad experiences with neckbeards.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I saw a guy selling Magic Cards at a flea market when I was in middle school. He had a box of a bunch of lands/commons/misc. for $25 that I thought would be nice to have so I offered him $20 because as I understood it haggling was what you were supposed to do and what everyone else around me was doing.

He (a grown-rear end man) told me (a literal child) to go gently caress myself and then picked up the box and threw it in the back of his van causing it to explode cards everywhere like a terrible game of 5200-Pick-Up.

Anyways, I stopped buying magic cards after that so thanks mysterious flea market stranger for saving me probably thousands of dollars.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Saint Freak posted:

I saw a guy selling Magic Cards at a flea market when I was in middle school. He had a box of a bunch of lands/commons/misc. for $25 that I thought would be nice to have so I offered him $20 because as I understood it haggling was what you were supposed to do and what everyone else around me was doing.

He (a grown-rear end man) told me (a literal child) to go gently caress myself and then picked up the box and threw it in the back of his van causing it to explode cards everywhere like a terrible game of 5200-Pick-Up.

Anyways, I stopped buying magic cards after that so thanks mysterious flea market stranger for saving me probably thousands of dollars.

I had a similar experience, except the end result was me and my friend buying a few cards to get on the dude's good side, then going to his lovely store and fleecing him for hundreds of shoplifted cards over high school.

The current owners sell university gear to frat guys. RIP in peace local nerd store.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

There was a place in town called Gorilla Bobs and my dad and sister killed some time there browsing. Afterwards they said it reeked of BO and for thereon after we called it Stinky Bobs. Take a shower, nerds.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Antivehicular posted:

Was this at Dragon's Lair? I've never noticed a nerd-stink problem in there, but I've also never gone to an organized-play event, just done regular nerd shopping. Their old location was small enough that I imagine a decent-sized group of nerds with indifferent hygiene could stank that place up, though.

It sounds like Battlegrounds or whatever the name of that one store that was next to the Alamo Drafthouse Village. I stopped there before it closed with my wife and best friend, I was ignored but they stared down the women folk. ALso it reeked of BO. The new Dragon's Lair is fantastic. It's bright and sunny and not hidden away.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Chrs Gry posted:

this huge guy in a pink cowboy hat got high rate in GAME (UK equivalent to GameStop)

haha

I went to check out the newest nerd-store in my burb a couple weeks after it opened, and there was basically no merchandise. A few glass cases with maybe two dozen knives on sale, and some picnic tables in the back with some nerds playing MtG. Some dude basically got a loan to open up a clubhouse when he could have just kept using his garage.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cythereal posted:

This kind of thing is why I gave up on playing dungeons and dragons except with personal friends. Too many bad experiences with neckbeards.

Yeah, basically the rule #0 of nerdgames is that you should start out with a group of generally fun people and try to get them interested in the game. Going the opposite route, by approaching a group who is already into the game and hoping they turn out to be decent people, is a recipe for disaster.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, basically the rule #0 of nerdgames is that you should start out with a group of generally fun people and try to get them interested in the game. Going the opposite route, by approaching a group who is already into the game and hoping they turn out to be decent people, is a recipe for disaster.
Yeah the way to go is to just paint up romans vs celts or buy the 120 dollar board game or whatever set of expensive toys you're interested in and offer games to your regular friends. Lots of people aren't into dropping money/time on a dumb niche hobby but do like playing games, whereas lots of people who are into dropping money and time into niche self-select towards 400lb shutins who will stare at your tits.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah the way to go is to just paint up romans vs celts or buy the 120 dollar board game or whatever set of expensive toys you're interested in and offer games to your regular friends. Lots of people aren't into dropping money/time on a dumb niche hobby but do like playing games, whereas lots of people who are into dropping money and time into niche self-select towards 400lb shutins who will stare at your tits.

If you don't look like the kind of person who plays nerdy poo poo like D&D (e.g. you're not 300 lbs, shower daily, shave, own and wear shirts that don't have cartoons on them, etc) it is really, really easy to get a D&D campaign or whatever going with a bunch of your friends that have never played before. "Hey, this Thursday I'm having a buncha people over to drink beer and roll dice to pretend to slaughter orcs, you in?"

The real key though is that first part and for whatever reason a lot of nerds have serious trouble with it.

e: VVVV the new edition is really easy and has a starter set with premade characters and a simplified rulebook and poo poo, just don't ask about it in TG or they'll think you're the wrong kind of nerd or something

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Jul 6, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The d&d rules are a bitch and I don't want to learn them myself and teach my friends

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

hawowanlawow posted:

The d&d rules are a bitch and I don't want to learn them myself and teach my friends

Play Apocalypse World or Blades in the Dark then. Or Dungeon World if the DnD aesthetic is important to you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

In a perfect world everyone would play Dungeon World but I think the fact that it's so rules-light means it relies a lot more on genre/trope assumptions that people new to tabletop games wouldn't be familiar with. Still, worth a shot, and everyone has a couple D6s laying around.

e: don't recommend a game with Sex Moves to people new to tabletop games though, come on

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Play Delta Green

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

e: don't recommend a game with Sex Moves to people new to tabletop games though, come on

A fatal mistake, to be sure.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

In a perfect world everyone would play Dungeon World but I think the fact that it's so rules-light means it relies a lot more on genre/trope assumptions that people new to tabletop games wouldn't be familiar with. Still, worth a shot, and everyone has a couple D6s laying around.

If you're all goddamned adults you should be capable of handling the presence of what are basically character-driven sex jokes. They're a useful weirdo filter if nothing else.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A few notable ones. One from my perspective, a couple are second hand but are pretty believable and I trust the sources.

Tale 1

The first one involves my local comic shop guy. He's generally been nice to me, albeit lacking in social graces, as this story will illustrate, but a bunch of friends and accquaintances have had difficulties with him because of his lack of self-awareness. A longtime customer (friend of a friend) came in and bought some stuff, as he's getting rung up, owner/register guy asks "Hey how come you haven't been in here in a while?" and the customer tells him "Oh, my dog that I've had for like 13 years died". I'm paraphrasing here, but this guy loved his dog.

Comic book guy goes "Well, that's no reason to not come into the store!". He was completely serious, too.

gently caress's sake.

Tale 2

Next one involves a friend of mine who used to work at a Gamestop. She's a hardcore nerd, into pen and paper, video games, comics, anime, cosplay etc. Unfortunately, this occasionally means she encounters awful sexism (not that nerds invented the concept, but the lack of social graces you sometimes see in the subculture means it's probably a bit more blunt and unsubtle). She was helping a customer one day decide on some games because he had a budget, and after she helped him, he remarked "I'm surprised how knowledgable you were, considering." And she's a little confused as to what he means. He motions to her chest (she's pretty stacked), and she puts together that he means that he didn't expect an attractive woman to be able to help him. Her manager had to finish the transaction after she asked to take his break, because otherwise she'd have let him have it.

Tale 3

I was in the local comic store, and my girlfriend at the time came along with me because she had an interest, plus she made efforts to show interest in my hobbies. We had to leave after about 10 minutes, because there was a dude chatting about the Transformers movie and he smelled so bad that it causing her to get a migraine. She had a sensitivity to strong scents like perfume, cologne, etc, but I didn't realize it applied to intense BO. poo poo, I was starting to get a headache. Dude was a human sock.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Robot Style posted:

A fatal mistake, to be sure.

Now I have to link it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If you don't look like the kind of person who plays nerdy poo poo like D&D (e.g. you're not 300 lbs, shower daily, shave, own and wear shirts that don't have cartoons on them, etc) it is really, really easy to get a D&D campaign or whatever going with a bunch of your friends that have never played before. "Hey, this Thursday I'm having a buncha people over to drink beer and roll dice to pretend to slaughter orcs, you in?"

It's a real shame that D&D is the most well-known P&P RPG, because it's way overcomplicated and really underwhelming. Even having played other RPGs before, you come to D&D and go "Why do I need six different kind of dice? Why are there six different kind of wizard? What the gently caress is a "tiefling"? And you're looking through your choices for spells and it's like, there's one that's literally just "do really basic magic tricks, but actually magic" and the book recommends you pick that as one of your starting abilities? Why? And that's even if you manage to get past the way the book is written, with bits of important information scattered between bits of background fluff and nothing organised in a particularly helpful manner. If you're new the the whole concept, you're probably going to assume that the whole genre is exclusively for obsessive weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tiggum posted:

the whole genre is exclusively for obsessive weirdos.

To be fair it kinda is. I say this as a weekly dnd player in my late 20s, too. You have to find that balance of nerdy but not socially loving weird. Its not easy.

• Locked thread