Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

when i was young i inherited a whole bunch of DC/marvel comics from my brother, later on i started collecting them myself from a retailer who worked at a flea market until i was like 15 and so i'd never actually experienced a true comic book store before, i think around 2011 they restarted the whole DC universe so i figured i'd pick up a few rebranded #1 & #2 issues for old times sake so i went to a bigger downtown comic book store on my lunch break; it was noonish and pretty dead inside except for the two clerks sitting behind the counter, two completely harmless, mild-mannered looking skinny dweebs who were mostly pleasant in a showers, shaves & basic hygiene but nothing else kind of way - they were having the loudest possible conversation about loving sexy as hell cat girls in dnd

because this happened a whiles after after the big reboot i had to go to the back issues area at the back wall of this huge store so i experienced their conversation about what makes for the sexiest cat girl, is it having a human pussy or a cat pussy, in full booming echo as i thumbed through stacks of old issues, this took some time and i was rapidly edging towards yelling a shut the gently caress up, nerds but i didn't - i think it was because i didn't want to get turned away at the register after going through the trouble of finding the ~14 issues i wanted ... but then their conversation got into the actual specifics of cat girl sex which included the line a mind that's between human and cat, sort of like a young child's so sex is half-instinct, half- gentle instruction

after they rang up my purchase one of them gave me an eerily cheerful but awkward 'see you next month, valued customer!' i didn't reply with anything clever, just a 'you're both sick fucks and i'm never coming in again'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

You know, I've always been unnerved by Catgirl Guys and their obsession with loving mewing baby-ladies, but I never assumed they were actual bestialists before. Now I know better, I guess?

i'm sure the venn-diagram of furries, catgirl lovers and animal fuckers is just a single circle in deep denial about it

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Metos posted:

As soon as I arrived she rushed over as fast as possible and clung to me as the patrons were apparently basically doing creep orbits of her, every eye in the room was looking straight at us, and when trying to very quickly pay for the game and get the hell out of there the guy behind the counter would only talk directly to her and ignored me doing every step of the purchasing. Never been back.

barely even my story but a long whiles ago a very, very attractive girl neck deep in goth chic started working at the GW i went to once in a while, it was normally very quiet except when games were happening and i was there to see if they had a certain model in stock and if not, i'd order it through them and it pick it up later - she seemed really stoked about working there, they didn't have what i wanted so she talked my ear off with suggestions that were better alternatives more in line with the game's current meta but since i only really wanted it for display i made the order, i also found out she was going to the same university as me and this was going to be a full-time summer job

a few weeks later when i came in for the pick up and i found an abnormally large mess of dweebs just lounging around the store more or less orbiting this girl, she'd move around the store and they'd shuffle about following her, having conversations with each other but not taking their eyes off her, it seemed like they had no other reason to be there and maybe they all started hanging out when they found out she worked there? she was very obviously creeped the gently caress out by this; i picked up my order and left, feeling just a bit like i'd left someone with a pack of thirsty wolves- it goes without saying i never saw her working there again

shame too, i never had a problem with that store myself, it was a borderline normal place to be but i guess it didn't take much to disturb that image

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i can see the temptation looking at things that way yeah but it's probably best to just engage with everyone like you would normally, like if a clerk's happens to be busy or feeling chatty that day you should probably respond appropriately on those terms instead of going off too much in one direction or another just because of who they are, being distant with someone like they have cooties can be off-putting too - it's real easy to not be creepy anyway, just keep it topical, don't pester someone for dates/ask way too personal questions and don't make day plans to awkwardly hover around someone with unblinking stares and heavy breathing :v:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

that reminds me, LAN centres used to be a thing in the early 2000s when some people still might've had dial-up or a home computer that couldn't run CS/WCIII/whatever, these were some pretty loving nerdy places most of the time since you were essentially paying 3 dollars to play games on a desktop computer for an hour but these places could also get pretty sketchy in the sense that grown-rear end men would come in and mingle physically with teens and pre-teens with very little oversight or structure unlike at a card tournament or whatever, in general there tended to be at least a few skeevy older dudes trying to swindle (or worse) dumb teenagers at peak hours, like i watched a 30+ year old man come up and tell my 14 year old friend how sexy he thought girls who play games were and maybe they could meet elsewhere? :wtc: i know of another incident where an older man was busted for selling drugs at another nearby LAN centre

at around this time i inherited a really nice antique watch from my grandpa, i was pretty young at the time but i was also pretty diligent about taking good care of it so i'd earned the right to wear it casually instead of just for formal events, i left it with the clerk at the front because i normally take it off when i'm at a keyboard and i was too paranoid to just jam it in my pocket, i asked for it back a couple hours later and the clerk actually had the wherewithal to say i never gave him anything - i bought in my dad to hash things out and the clerk just repeated himself, saying i never gave him anything and that i was probably lying and lost it some other dumb way

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i did not get it back - the clerk wasn't enough of an idiot to wear it right away or just hide behind the counter since my dad did check without asking so apparently a birdbrained, blatant lie forcing a my-word-or-yours situation against a dumb middle schooler was indeed the perfect scam :smith:

i guess nowadays just calling parents/police on a cell to sort things out straight away would work out better than not having a phone because it's the early 2000s, and then having to walk home for like 40 minutes before hearing a friendly voice that'll maybe help sort things out; the barest consolation here is that it was fitted for my skinny preteen wrists, and that it more-or-less required its included maintenance kit, so without its matching metal expansion links and other tools it's not going to fit anyone, sell for full value or last more than a year or two

hard counter has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Jul 21, 2017

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

firrup posted:

The worst players in my area were always the magic players. Stealing wasn't their thing usually but a few of them would swoop in and rip off any new player who pulled a decent cards. The also had the bigger tendency to be creeps. The store I went to when I was younger had this one 16-17 year old girl that would hang out there. All these early 30 to 50 year old magic players would just stare at her. They'd all talk to themselves about how they were gonna jump on her as soon as she hit 18 and a few were going for it beforehand. Any younger girl showed up and it was like sharks smelling blood in the water. Mind you some of them were awesome and I'm still good friends with them. The majority of the rest were a mix of creeps, predators, and asses. I went to a newer store in the area though and they seem to have a healthy player pool. Some of the same creeps and asses but a decent spread of okay people. My experience could have been tainted by the stores I hit back then.

that seems about par for the course, i know a couple people nearly 30 with wives and homes who still play mtg because they still love it so drat much and they describe this situation as it appears from that end - don't bring your wife to a tournament because it'll just be a nonstop creepshow for her, like 3/4ths of the crowd will be immature, even for teenage standards, dweebs who'll throw literal tantrums if games don't go their way and most adults will be of the kind that never grew out of that phase - relatively normal people are few and few between but they almost make it worth it because a game with cards featuring dragons and wizards should be pretty friendly and light even tho it's done within a competition

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

sinburger posted:

Stormcrow Tavern in Vancouver is the cats rear end. They have the food, drinks, and nerding dialed right the gently caress in. They were popular enough to open up a second pub.

right, i remember those guys from a piece of art they commissioned for their menus that i also posted in the weird fan art thread

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

while it's uncommonly adorable that some husbands still call their wives/fiances breathtakingly beautiful, and that's really quite sweet if you can drop the cynicism for a moment, i've posted here before that a few of my friends have definitely had their wives tag along to mtg tournaments and it's been a total creepshow for them - it's a sadly common nerd store experience for women and that's really quite awful if we can return back to cynicism to consider that

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Hate Fibration posted:

I haven't been to a con or a nerd store since I went full-time. Does anyone know how they are for trans ladies? Better? Worse? Depends?

depends on the local scene and whether the individual managers are jerks or allow their customers to be jerks, some places will be good and have zero tolerance for harassment and others will let their regulars run amok

i would guess get the only thing to be consistently wary of is a huge event that brings in a bigger crowd, like these mtg tournaments for e.g., because it's bound to bring in the creepy dregs too tho there will be plenty of regular well-mannered people and it's hard for organizers to police everyone even if they don't actually want these incidents to happen at their events

hard counter has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Jan 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aesop Poprock posted:

That one just kind of makes me sad, but I'm assuming in reality he was actually creepy and awful and not just poor and miserable

same, it sounds like an awkward self-deprecating joke rather than a genuine promise

• Locked thread