Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

GCW should get more poo poo for derailing Itoh's career imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I'm not interested in Marigold even tho I already have a WU sub and one of my favorite wrestlers is on the roster. Sucks but that's life, I think Rossy is a weird, gross man and it takes a lot for Kenny Omega to publicly call anyone out. Going to trust Kenny on this one and not support Rossy's future endeavors

I will guiltlessly re-sub to stardom though since I liked what I saw on the ROH show

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Stall_19 posted:

Anyone plan on following Marigold? Despite not liking the way this came together, (I'm sure if I was an Actwres Girl'z fan I'd want Rossy head on a pike) the fact it's on Wrestle Universe means I'll probably give it a shot.

I don't subscribe to WU but I may watch the Mirai and Utami matches via other means. Three wrestling subs is already too many for me.

I didn't realize that the Maika/Momo match is 2/3 falls with hardcore and LMS rules for the second and third fall. All-Star Queendom is shaping up great! Hope thet manage to fit a tag title match on there too as apparently Crazy Star vs. Prominence is on tonight's show.

Also Saya Kamitani may be challenging Saki for the High Speed title which would be something.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 21, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Emi leaving ChocoPro for AEW was undoubtedly bad for ChocoPro as they immediately stopped singing songs at the start of shows

edit: didn't like how that poaching list earlier forgot about Emi

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'll watch the first Marigold show because Sareee is in the main event. After that, we'll see. I'll probably treat them like TJPW & Stardom and watch the bigger matches and skip undercards and uninteresting poo poo. I wasn't watching Mai Sakurai matches when she was in Stardom and that's probably not changing

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

It's nice that AEW fans have discovered the thread and I hope they stick around, though maybe with slightly less telling people how to feel about partnerships involving companies they enjoy watching.

Alright, you're just being silly now. Thing hasn't happened yet ≠ Thing will never happen. Especially when it has happened with other partner promotions. No poo poo, the partnership has only just begun. AEW didn't sign Takeshita on his first tour either.

Why not? Showing your fans a wrestler before they sign with you is in fact the same thing.

Anyway, to actually talk about women's wrestling, sounds like Evolution are going to be running 2 shows a month going forward from May. So that's cool.

because you are assuming they are showing them with the plan being to eventually sign them? all kenny said was that he would like to see azm do more dates in aew.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Pylons posted:

GCW should get more poo poo for derailing Itoh's career imo

lol come on

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

maki is pretty out spoken that her time at gcw reignited her love for graps and that she's very happy with wrestling there and working with nick, what more could you ask for

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

thats cool but i dont watch gcw i watch tjpw and to leave your promotion is treason

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

In something completely different, HYPE!2 was suitably unhinged. My instant feeling is that I enjoyed the first one a little bit better but this one definitely had it's moments

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah Hype!1 feels like, better from an objective view point to me but Hype!2 felt like it was design for me between it being all Raku and Rika and getting Host Mahiro, etc. So its my favorite.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Could do without the blackface adjacent gal stuff for these. Everything I see that on my timeline I cringe deeply.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

gyaru stuff has nothing to do with blackface tho

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

stall has anyone ever told you youre kind of a weird bastard

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Stall_19 posted:

Could do without the blackface adjacent gal stuff for these. Everything I see that on my timeline I cringe deeply.

Ganguro girls have tanned skin, bleached blonde hair, and over the top makeup as a way of protesting the traditional idea of Japanese beauty being dark hair, fair skin, and neutral makeup.

It fits in with the time period of Namba, Miu, and Moka doing para para dancing to Night of Fire.

Thinking that it's "blackface adjacent" is a you problem.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

I can't be the only person that found that deeply uncomfortable.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Gumball Gumption posted:

People keep acting like AEW is poaching talent when what is happening is that NJPW doesn't want to pay foreigners what they're worth and so they leave and also a bunch of Joshi wrestlers show up on the show sometimes. There hasn't actually been one of these poaches everyone is afraid of.

Yeah, the only joshis AEW has signed were Yuka, Riho, Shida and Emi Sakura. And that was all back in 2019. The hand wringing over poaching is kind of funny

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Stall_19 posted:

It's riffing on fake spray tans and valley girls, we can say something about dark spray tans and appropriating/mimicking blackness but that's a closer comparison

In Japan it has none of those connotations. I can see it being bad optics outside of Japan but that's all it is. I'm way less uncomfortable with that than, say, 90% of anything Danshoku Dino touches

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 21, 2024

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Stall_19 posted:

you've made most of us deeply uncomfortable by sharing your hot takes about women recently

Gyaru fashion has absolutely nothing to do with blackface and never did

Duke Pukem posted:

Yeah, the only joshis AEW has signed were Yuka, Riho, Shida and Emi Sakura. And that was all back in 2019. The hand wringing over poaching is kind of funny
Riho and Shida were mostly independent/floated around, Emi Sakura had her own promotions and floated around a bit too. Yuka is the first Joshi talent AEW signed from their full-time promotion and lol she's been there over a decade and won every title twice over, there wasn't much left for her to do anyway except blow more people up with fireworks every summer

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 21, 2024

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it superficially pulls from American California valley girl culture and is mostly a fashion with meaning in Japan for Japanese reasons. It really has nothing to do with blackface.

Some of those girls did need to go a shade lighter or two lol

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Tampa Bae posted:

you've made most of us deeply uncomfortable by sharing your hot takes about women recently

The gently caress that about? Everything I said about the Stardom/AEW partnership I've said about the NJPW/AEW partnership in the NJPW thread. AEW outside of Covid is the worst thing to happen to NJPW. Don't want to see history repeat itself.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I don’t like ganguro myself but I understand what it is

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mean the word does literally mean blackface lol, though yeah it isn't blackface

i think being bothered by it is perfectly acceptable, skin darkening is weird thing in most contexts. but yeah its not literal blackface

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

checksin posted:

I don’t like ganguro myself but I understand what it is

That's what it's called? Dude, the literal first result when googling is this

quote:

Ganguro is a Japanese fashion trend. The word Ganguro is Japanese for "Black Face". The style usually. Ganguro. involves a light-orange tan, white makeup, and blonde hair.

Also that ain't mimicking an orange tan, that is straight brown.

I ain't saying those girls are racist, I'm just saying to me it's close enough that it makes me uncomfortable.

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 21, 2024

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Donald Trump is a ganguro girl

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

forkboy84 posted:

It's nice that AEW fans have discovered the thread and I hope they stick around, though maybe with slightly less telling people how to feel about partnerships involving companies they enjoy watching.

Alright, you're just being silly now. Thing hasn't happened yet ≠ Thing will never happen. Especially when it has happened with other partner promotions. No poo poo, the partnership has only just begun. AEW didn't sign Takeshita on his first tour either.

Like I quite seriously pointed out the potential for bushiroad to get predatory with Diana like yesterday. We are all adults with I hope the ability to recognise patterns in how businesses have operated

As for marigold if a match gets buzz I'll try to watch it. I'm extremely time poor. I really like Kiyomiya but I haven't still got around to his match with kenoh.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

ganguro is a subculture of gyaru you fuckin weebs, and yes it is absolutely a dark tan, lots of those gals are like drumpf orange in person. there is a lot of cross over between hip-hop and gyaru, mostly because they were popular at the same time in the 90s

source: me, a wrestling photographer who lived in asia for years and spent a great deal of time in japan for work and pleasure

also, lets drop this NERD poo poo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think it being a gyaru subculture was understood by most people on this page.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think the stall poster was absolutely being a weirdo earlier but like people being uncomfortable with ganguro is a totally acceptable thing lol. Like multiple times tanning salons from japan have gone viral because they were named things like Black People or Blacky, and like I mean they have that in English on the signs.

Like I understand what is going on there, but I can still see that and be like, oh that is really unfortunate from the context I am living in.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 21, 2024

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Honestly, it is a good discussion to have, insofar as it's important to remember that colorism (i.e. white/light being good/better) in Asia has roots to racism that often are exploited in less obvious ways than that ad where the lady stuffs a black guy in a washing machine.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

so that's a no on dropping it then

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Choom Gangster posted:

so that's a no on dropping it then

You made me read weebs, drumpf, and NERD poo poo in all one post, I will never follow your lead...

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Actual women's wrestling on in 20 minutes with stardom in osaka. Crazy star v prominence for the tag titles and the red/white/iwgp champs v momo/hanan/natsupoi

Should be good

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Sad news out of the Seadlinnng show (don't worry not an injury or anything like that)

Arisa Nakajima is retiring in August

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

drat, another blow to Sukeban

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The preview tag for the red/white/iwgp ruled

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

did anyone watch the dreamwave uprising 2? im just now getting to it and it's solid so far

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Crazy star v prominence also high quality

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Crapple! posted:

Sad news out of the Seadlinnng show (don't worry not an injury or anything like that)

Arisa Nakajima is retiring in August

Genuinely just end wrestling now. God drat that is terrible. SEAdLINNNG is done too, loved that little promotion but as of now their roster in September will be part-time referee Natsuki Taiyo, the new rookie & uhhhhhhh technically Amazon but I dunno if she's injured because she hasn't wrestled this year. On her day Arisa Nakajima might well be a top 10 wrestler in the world. Obviously hope she enjoys retirement but man, what a bummer as a fan of the promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Has she ever felt closer to the title than Wrestle Princess 2?