Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
https://twitter.com/DrainBamager/status/1781512050293842386

Pretty damning if Kenny of all people has bad things to say about you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
These are very heavy implications

What I will say is that it took a good few years of bushiroad ownership until I was willing to watch stardom. At an absolute minimum he did some very dodgy things to make money out of an unsavoury element. The bikining 7 photobook with an at the time 13 year old Hanan on the front cover among under-age slk and azm is very weird indeed.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
People keep referring to him as a "father figure" but if my father called my sexy photo book his prize possession I'd probably choose the other company too.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

These are very heavy implications

What I will say is that it took a good few years of bushiroad ownership until I was willing to watch stardom. At an absolute minimum he did some very dodgy things to make money out of an unsavoury element. The bikining 7 photobook with an at the time 13 year old Hanan on the front cover among under-age slk and azm is very weird indeed.

Yeah, "the sexy Hanan" put me off paying for Stardom for a good while.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

And obviously looks matter in wrestling. Hanan is turning into a very good wrestler with a huge upside but how she looks (especially her size) plays a role in why she's going to get pushed up the card

But it's just different as an adult

Anyways stardom is streaming now for anyone with stardom world

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.

mooseinfants posted:

https://twitter.com/DrainBamager/status/1781512050293842386

Pretty damning if Kenny of all people has bad things to say about you

Can't imagine how big of a piece of poo poo you need to be for Kenny to not say good things about you.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/ScottEWrestling/status/1781486289193255091

"If she is willing to commit to some kind of schedule it'd be great."

Kenny, you bitch, She already has a schedule. Develop your own talent instead of taking other;s.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

After Rossy made the "I'm looking for unmarried women as young as 13" comment I checked out of anything to do with his new company tbh

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The stars v cosmic angels match was dope as hell.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

The stars v cosmic angels match was dope as hell.

Whole show was good.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Stall_19 posted:

https://twitter.com/ScottEWrestling/status/1781486289193255091

"If she is willing to commit to some kind of schedule it'd be great."

Kenny, you bitch, She already has a schedule. Develop your own talent instead of taking other;s.

yeah, AZM should be an indentured servant, never to leave her original promotion for more money

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

I'd have no problem with AZM herself leaving but I want nothing to do with this "partnership", that's really just an excuse for AEW to get talent comfortable with them so they're more likely to choose them over WWE. They had or have a partnership with TJPW, and I wish they just stuck with that than Stardom getting involved with them. There no requirement to where you have to partner with one of the two top American promotions.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Stall_19 posted:

I'd have no problem with AZM herself leaving but I want nothing to do with this "partnership", that's really just an excuse for AEW to get talent comfortable with them so they're more likely to choose them over WWE. They had or have a partnership with TJPW, and I wish they just stuck with that than Stardom getting involved with them. There no requirement to where you have to partner with one of the two top American promotions.

Maybe Stardom should pay more to retain them

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Maybe don't partner with someone looking to steal your talent is also something they could take from this. Everyone knows what WWE is all about, don't know why they can't see the same thing about AEW.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Stall_19 posted:

Lots of wrestlers in Japan want to wrestle in America, so why wouldn't they take the opportunity to do it for a company that would foot the bill and deal with the hassle of visas and also get paid more on top of it because of how weak the yen is?

Or is this just another case of "I don't want to see wrestlers I like wrestle in places that aren't the place I watch them wrestle at already" and you don't actually care about the wrestlers doing things that are in their own best interests?

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, "the sexy Hanan" put me off paying for Stardom for a good while.

Yeah that was one of the creepiest things I saw since following Stardom. That and that fan event where the roster were in their pajamas. Will never forget how uncomfortable the roster looked, except for Tam Nakano who looked right in her element. Which is how I first realized that woman was a monster. I really hope Marigold doesn't have any underage girls. Right now the youngest is Yuzuki at 19 and I hope it stays that way.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Stall_19 posted:

Maybe don't partner with someone looking to steal your talent is also something they could take from this. Everyone knows what WWE is all about, don't know why they can't see the same thing about AEW.

Depends what they get in return. It seems like a priority for post-Rossy Stardom is expansion in the West. To do that effectively you need more people in the West to know your wrestlers and your promotion.

AZM appearing on AEW means that way more American wrestling fans now know:

1) there's a wrestler called AZM
2) she's really loving good
3) if you want to see more of her matches she wrestles for Stardom.

That seems like a win for Stardom.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Stall_19 posted:

Yeah that was one of the creepiest things I saw since following Stardom. That and that fan event where the roster were in their pajamas. Will never forget how uncomfortable the roster looked, except for Tam Nakano who looked right in her element. Which is how I first realized that woman was a monster. I really hope Marigold doesn't have any underage girls. Right now the youngest is Yuzuki at 19 and I hope it stays that way.

They literally put out a call for "healthy unmarried women between the ages of 13 and 30" so uhhhh... there's your answer as to what he's aiming for.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Stall_19 posted:

While I understand the concern, & AEW's relationship with Japanese companies does seem to go the way of a lot of territories in the early national expansion of WWF (Vince would show matches of top NWA stars on his programming, ostensibly as a favour to the other promoters but then mysteriously Roddy Piper would jump from JCP to WWF & he'd been shown on WWF TV so the fans instantly knew who he was!), brutal reality is that while AEW will probably poach one or two Stardom wrestlers from this because any partnership with AEW ends up being a bit one-sided (to put it mildly), it probably helps retain more of the roster. Because with the Yen so weak, letting your people go for a couple weeks to the States is going to augment their pay in a way the promotion itself probably can't justify. It's one of those deals where for the time being it's a risk you probably have to take.

I don't know why AEW fans constantly have to act on the defence when someone points out the unequal nature of their relationships with Japanese companies, as if it's impossible to understand why if you're a fan of the companies they are working with it's really frustrating to see it turned into a farm system. And yes, it would be nice if Tony used those billions to create an AEW dojo system rather than just poaching talent, but honestly with how AEW doesn't bother with house shows they probably aren't set up for developing talent. Though I'm sure AEW could easily make it so that 4-5 dojo kids could get bookings across the US indies every weekend, as well as using the partnerships in Japan & Mexico. But for whatever reason they don't seem interested.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lamuella posted:

Depends what they get in return. It seems like a priority for post-Rossy Stardom is expansion in the West. To do that effectively you need more people in the West to know your wrestlers and your promotion.

AZM appearing on AEW means that way more American wrestling fans now know:

1) there's a wrestler called AZM
2) she's really loving good
3) if you want to see more of her matches she wrestles for Stardom.

That seems like a win for Stardom.

If stardom worked with the wwe even more people would see her wrestle and thus its even more better !!!!!

This is such a tiresome debate because as forkboy says aew fans get very defensive.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If stardom worked with the wwe even more people would see her wrestle and thus its even more better !!!!!

I know you're reading things in bad faith on purpose but you missed the part where AEW mentioned her home promotion repeatedly.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

I think having Stardom wrestlers on AEW TV will increase the workrate of the women's division regardless of whether or not any of them leave Stardom, and that's a good thing

Hell, my sick rear end wants them on RoH

E: Stardom World is my least used streaming service, but Saya Iida is probably not getting poached so it's pretty safe

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 20, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://x.com/KXNGAO/status/1780999193336660239

This tweet feels apropos to the discussion. Amazing the sheer contempt Hat Guy holds his customers in if true

(And it's totally believable, but I have no idea bout the source)

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

It's from the vice documentary called something like Japan's finest wrestlers where rossy is comparing slk as a draw versus azm

It goes back to my broad point before. I don't know what kenny is implying but rossy has seen the perverts in the audience as a money making opportunity and this type of thing has had a largely negative impact on the industry as a whole. I think what bushiroad is trying to do with Diana is a little eye raising (I feel they want to view Diana as a way to pick off high level under age talent at a certain age point. Which is potentially predatory) but to be fair to big card game they did stop allowing under age talent in as full time talent (obviously they didn't fire ruaka, hanan and the twins so they got grandfathered in i guess)

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

forkboy84 posted:

https://x.com/KXNGAO/status/1780999193336660239

This tweet feels apropos to the discussion. Amazing the sheer contempt Hat Guy holds his customers in if true

(And it's totally believable, but I have no idea bout the source)

The source about hatman's comment about AZM is from the Vice documentary called "The Wrestlers".

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8hd2tx

The part where discussion about AZM and discussion about age happens is at 24:50, with the whole "she has the face of an adult" clip happening at 29:51

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

The source about hatman's comment about AZM is from the Vice documentary called "The Wrestlers".

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8hd2tx

The part where discussion about AZM and discussion about age happens is at 24:50, with the whole "she has the face of an adult" clip happening at 29:51

Or https://tubitv.com/tv-shows/662587/s01-e03-japan-s-finest-wrestlers?start=true
where you don't have to disable your ad blocker.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Anyways to discuss the actual wrestling from today

I've progressed past the point where I was the other day where I said stardom have heated momo/hanan up as viable challengers (and they've both done really well themselves)

Now I actually think both should win. Hanan just a short reign and she drops it back to saori but momo a good run to establish her as the top heel.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

I feel like it's a tad too soon for Hanan. Momo/Maika could go either way and I'd be fine.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

AZM visited AEW and had what will probably one of her worst singles matches of the year and that's the reality of signing any of these women to AEW. You're taking them out of an environment with wrestlers on their level where they can therefore have great matches so they can lock up with mediocre wrestlers and have average matches. Of course this is just from the perspective of a fan. I can totally understand them making that move for their career and I obviously don't hold that against them.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

People keep acting like AEW is poaching talent when what is happening is that NJPW doesn't want to pay foreigners what they're worth and so they leave and also a bunch of Joshi wrestlers show up on the show sometimes. There hasn't actually been one of these poaches everyone is afraid of.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Stall_19 posted:

I feel like it's a tad too soon for Hanan. Momo/Maika could go either way and I'd be fine.

I'm torn on the Hanan result. On one hand young up and comer losing their first big title shot is a classic story. On the other hand, sometimes it's a good idea to subvert the classics.

Speaking of Hanan, her and Iida vs. Tam and Poi from the 13th was great!

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Stall_19 posted:

I mean, I could be wrong, but this doesn’t seem like something to get worked up about. During their entire partnership with tjpw how many Japanese wrestlers did they poach? 1 after 4 years. Stardom itself has poached more wrestlers from other smaller Japanese woman’s promotions than that during the same time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I mean, I could be wrong, but this doesn’t seem like something to get worked up about. During their entire partnership with tjpw how many Japanese wrestlers did they poach? 1 after 4 years. Stardom itself has poached more wrestlers from other smaller Japanese woman’s promotions than that during the same time.

5 years ago Mina Shirakawa, Mirai Maiumi, and Natsupoi all wrestled for TJPW.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lamuella posted:

5 years ago Mina Shirakawa, Mirai Maiumi, and Natsupoi all wrestled for TJPW.

Plus Giulia, Thekla & Suzu in Ice Ribbon, Himeka, Momo Kohgo & Saori Anou were all wrestling for Actwres girlZ. And then since 5 years ago they've also signed Ami Sourei, Mai Sakurai & Waka Tsukiyama from AWG.

Although I'd also point out that Natsupoi had only been in TJPW for 4 months at this point in 2019, because she'd also been pinched from AWG

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Gumball Gumption posted:

People keep acting like AEW is poaching talent when what is happening is that NJPW doesn't want to pay foreigners what they're worth and so they leave and also a bunch of Joshi wrestlers show up on the show sometimes. There hasn't actually been one of these poaches everyone is afraid of.

Literally count the number of wrestlers that AEW has taken from Japan.

Female: Riho, Yuka, Shida. All of whom still work a lot in Japan. If they wanted more, they would have gone after more.

Male: Osprey, Okada, Takeshita, Ibushi, Shibata. The first two appear to be completely gone from the Japanese scene but it's early to tell. I would honestly expect to see Okada at the Tokyo Dome next year. Osprey is probably done for good, but Takeshita still does shots in Japan. Ibushi is doing what he wanted before he got hurt and still spending time in Japan, and Shibata wasn't being used in Japan either.

I think honestly the only person you could say was honest-to-god poached was Okada and that's really because WWE wants a replacement for Nakamura as their big Japan draw, but even then they weren't willing to spend big on him.

The biggest issue star power and right now that's where Japan is hurting because they just don't have a lot of drawing power. It's not really their fault either, it's hard to make stars and it's not like Okada sticking around NJPW is suddenly going to turn their business around because his time is over for that audience; just like Nakamura's was.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
The conversation around companies "poaching" or "stealing" talent is always weird to me. Don't the wrestlers have agency? Or are these shady dealings where Tony Khan is threatening to break kneecaps if people don't sign with AEW? I get the resentment of seeing your favorite wrestlers leave your favorite promotion to go do something else, but it's not like Okada woke up in the back of a limo with the Young Bucks saying you work for us now. NJPW in particular just ran a hugely successful show stateside that I dunno would have done as well without AEW involvement. But you gotta look at the wrestlers as people, with agency, who may want to work somewhere else and make more money or whatever.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Also most of the NJPW -> AEW jumps have been because NJPW either didn't want to or couldn't pay them what they were worth, especially Aussie Open. Osperay even got NJPW's blessings to negotiate before his contract was done

And if you see AEW fans being defensive over that, it's because this company is a magnet for bad faith takes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

apophenium posted:

The conversation around companies "poaching" or "stealing" talent is always weird to me. Don't the wrestlers have agency? Or are these shady dealings where Tony Khan is threatening to break kneecaps if people don't sign with AEW? I get the resentment of seeing your favorite wrestlers leave your favorite promotion to go do something else, but it's not like Okada woke up in the back of a limo with the Young Bucks saying you work for us now. NJPW in particular just ran a hugely successful show stateside that I dunno would have done as well without AEW involvement. But you gotta look at the wrestlers as people, with agency, who may want to work somewhere else and make more money or whatever.

If New Japan just poached Kento & Yuma Anzai I would not be happy :shrug: i like wrestlers I enjoy to be in places that will let them wrestle good, and very rarely is that AEW for women.

I don't begrudge wrestlers doing what's best for them financially because it's a short career but that doesn't mean I'll like it.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

forkboy84 posted:

If New Japan just poached Kento & Yuma Anzai I would not be happy :shrug: i like wrestlers I enjoy to be in places that will let them wrestle good, and very rarely is that AEW for women.

I don't begrudge wrestlers doing what's best for them financially because it's a short career but that doesn't mean I'll like it.

Yeah absolutely. Like I said, I totally get being sad when your favorite wrestler leaves the promotion you watch. Some of the discussion around it though talks about the wrestlers like they're trading cards rather than human beings :shrug:

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
I’m annoyed that I’ll be able to watch Marigold if it’s on Wrestle-Universe yet Stardom World still refuses to accept my card info even when I call my card company and am like yeah it’s fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

While I understand the concern, & AEW's relationship with Japanese companies does seem to go the way of a lot of territories in the early national expansion of WWF (Vince would show matches of top NWA stars on his programming, ostensibly as a favour to the other promoters but then mysteriously Roddy Piper would jump from JCP to WWF & he'd been shown on WWF TV so the fans instantly knew who he was!), brutal reality is that while AEW will probably poach one or two Stardom wrestlers from this because any partnership with AEW ends up being a bit one-sided (to put it mildly), it probably helps retain more of the roster. Because with the Yen so weak, letting your people go for a couple weeks to the States is going to augment their pay in a way the promotion itself probably can't justify. It's one of those deals where for the time being it's a risk you probably have to take.

I don't know why AEW fans constantly have to act on the defence when someone points out the unequal nature of their relationships with Japanese companies, as if it's impossible to understand why if you're a fan of the companies they are working with it's really frustrating to see it turned into a farm system. And yes, it would be nice if Tony used those billions to create an AEW dojo system rather than just poaching talent, but honestly with how AEW doesn't bother with house shows they probably aren't set up for developing talent. Though I'm sure AEW could easily make it so that 4-5 dojo kids could get bookings across the US indies every weekend, as well as using the partnerships in Japan & Mexico. But for whatever reason they don't seem interested.

Surely you realize people are disagreeing (or acting on the defence as you put it) due to the over the top nature of the claims? I don't think many people have trouble understanding wanting a favourite wrestler to be signed with one promotion versus another.