Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/HossMatch/status/1784297409704608123

lol. They're gonna have to tone her down so much in the PC. Also yeah, it's probably best for Tam's career longevity to no longer be matched up against Giulia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The last match they had was ridiculous. They essentially stood in the ring shoot headbutting each other, slapping each other and kicking out of each other's finishers

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The last match they had was ridiculous. They essentially stood in the ring shoot headbutting each other, slapping each other and kicking out of each other's finishers

Yeah it was great

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
:negative:
https://twitter.com/kira_tjpw/status/1784147315902812637

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Shoot headbutts are dumb as gently caress

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
They're cool as hell though

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
they're gonna have to saw open Tam's head just to find out there was no brain in there to put back in

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah it was great

I liked it well enough but for the sake of the both of them it's best they are separated. The sort of swelling that Tam would regularly get during programs with giulia is not ideal for the old brain health.

That said giulia is basically everything the stereotypical online wwe brand warrior say they hate in a wrestler. Stiff verging on dangerous (being a little bit dangerous is part of her gimmick) and a so so seller at best.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

WWE fans do hate wrestlers that are unquestionably cool, yeah.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/DSF_Marigold/status/1785184669086150810?t=DztekVaXY0SatAwDSPxmHA&s=19

The Marigolders have uniform numbers. How funny.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The Ace, Victoria Yuzuki

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Keep it up Rossi, maybe you can be the next Gabe Sapolsky

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I'm not sure if you have to pay again even with a WU account.
https://twitter.com/W_UNIVERSE_eng/status/1785158167846158671

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Numero6 posted:

I'm not sure if you have to pay again even with a WU account.
https://twitter.com/W_UNIVERSE_eng/status/1785158167846158671

You do. 2800 yen with an account, 3500 without one. Doesn't seem worth it tbh.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Lamuella posted:

You do. 2800 yen with an account, 3500 without one. Doesn't seem worth it tbh.

Dang, that sucks.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

There's a pattern of puns here and I'm having fun trying to figure out as many as I can. I'm not an expert on the AWG wrestlers so they're harder but some of them are just based on the person's name

Like for example Nanae has the kanji for the number 7 in her name so that's why she's 7

I'm guessing everyone calls Utami "Utami-san" and "san" is how you pronounce the number 3 on Japanese

"Ju" is how you say the number 10 and that's also the first part of Giulia so that's why she's 10

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 30, 2024

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

To add onto this, Uniform #18 is going to be given to the company ace, whoever that might be.

https://twitter.com/meraWRESTLING/status/1785199403546120658

Wouldn't be shocked if its given to Mayu, assuming she leaves STARDOM.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 30, 2024

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

There's a pattern of puns here and I'm having fun trying to figure out as many as I can. I'm not an expert on the AWG wrestlers so they're harder but some of them are just based on the person's name

Like for example Nanae has the kanji for the number 7 in her name so that's why she's 7

I'm guessing everyone calls Utami "Utami-san" and "san" is how you pronounce the number 3 on Japanese

"Ju" is how you say the number 10 and that's also the first part of Giulia so that's why she's 10

I always wonder if people who never studied Japanese could naturally recognized wrestlers names just from seeing them all the time. I've self studied for years so I could figure out all of them. Anyways in English now.

https://twitter.com/Marigold_Joshi/status/1785302953253057006

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/Kiwi__011/status/1785607128910049286

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I mean, SPLX shirts are a bit expensive especially with the shipping, but considering I named one of my cats after her, I don't see how I had any option here.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Utami is #3 because she's the third daughter of Big Daddy Hayashishita, a guy who had a reality show centered on him being a father of numerous children. Utami was on it occasionally.

When she debuted in STARDOM she called herself "Big Daddy's Third Daughter" in promos a few times since it was a bit of notoriety.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Stardom have announced they are showing todays show live about an hour before it started. It's on now if anyone is about. It's only a house show

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
There's a schedule page on Stardom World now; I believe it was showing as airing on that. They're doing quite a bit live coming up it seems.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

IceAgeComing posted:

There's a schedule page on Stardom World now; I believe it was showing as airing on that. They're doing quite a bit live coming up it seems.

It was a VOD originally.

https://twitter.com/wwr_stardom/status/1786585485734998255?t=g0AJBerDBh-f4J7Swp2JPw&s=19

I think they realised the infrastructure at the venue was good enough to broadcast and just decided to do it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

IceAgeComing posted:

There's a schedule page on Stardom World now; I believe it was showing as airing on that.

Oh, I didn't realise that, that's handy to know. I'll need to pay attention to that the next time I'm doing the Puro Schedule

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Wrong thread

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Crazy star v fwc was kinda incredible

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://x.com/DSF_Marigold/status/1787001975999258896

Who the hell is Bozilla? Cagematch says she's 20, German & has 21 recorded matches since 2022, almost all in Germany (1 in Switzerland, & Basel is right on the German border so barely counts). Even assuming she's worked on a bunch of small indies that Cagematch don't do records for (which for Germany would be a surprise), seems a bold pick for your first main event. Well, will be interesting.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
W I D E

https://twitter.com/Marigold_Joshi/status/1779792692324774351?t=2IvhM_mdUgS4yelzvP4lNQ&s=19

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
Rossy's Megan Bayne replacement

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

yes wonderland was excellent

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'm very rarely disappointed by TJPW's Korakuen and above shows

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

There used to be an alright primer on a site called Joshi City but it hasn't been updated in years.

I think I'd boil it like this: I understand why you want English commentary. It was an intimidating hurdle for me too, initially. But the thing is that when you get over it it turns out this poo poo is really easy to follow. I mean someone might do a promo & you can't work out why everyone is laughing, but if person A is challenging person B you can work it out from the use of names & body language etc. Unfortunately there isn't any joshi company that regularly has English commentary, at least as far as I'm aware. Some of them do have either official or unofficial twitter accounts which probably won't break down promos live (TJPW being the exception here) but may do so later.

As for the groups? Stardom is the one that's generally critically the highest thought of, as well as just generally being the #1 women's wrestling promotion in the world. Great wrestlers, a track record of training excellent wrestlers. As the #1 they also routinely poach talent from other groups, although recently have lost a couple of big names & some supporting players to their former owner's new startup, Marigold. You get a wide variety of styles, from the high speed action of AZM & Starlight Kid to some brutal strikers, Stardom is built around a handful of factions, kind of similar to Dragongate in that regard. There's one heel unit (currently Oedo Tai, before that there was Kimura Monster-gun), & then several other groups that are various shades between face & tweener. STARS are probably the purest babyface faction, with Mayu Iwatani as their centrepiece, but there's also Queen's Quest, Empress Nexus Venus, God's Eye & Cosmic Angels. And then a few unaffiliated wrestlers like Suzu Suzuki & Mei Seira. They have quite a lot of titles: the top one is the World of Stardom Title, also known as the red belt for obvious reasons, there's also the Wonder of Stardom belt, aka the white belt. Goddess of Stardom Titles are tag belts, Artists of Stardom Titles are trios belts, they have the High Speed Title which...I'll be honest, I'm not sure. It's kind of like a Junior Heavyweight Title but there's not a weight class? Then there is the Future of Stardom Title, whose gimmick is that only people either under 20 or with fewer than 3 years experience can compete for it. Finally there are the New Blood Tag Team Titles, which are similar to the Future Titles in that they are for younger more inexperienced wrestlers, though I don't think there's an age limit on them officially. But they are associated with the New Blood brand shows they run which are focused on the less experienced wrestlers & some outsiders. Finally they have a couple of New Japan belts, the IWGP Women's & the STRONG Women's belts.

Another promotion who are easy to follow are Sendai Girls. Some of their shows stream on Wrestle Universe, others get uploaded to their Youtube channel. They are home to one of the top 5 women's wrestlers in the world, Chihiro Hashimoto, & have a small roster that's supplemented by freelancers & others. You frequently see wrestlers from Marvelous on Sendai Girls shows, because Sendai Girls was founded by Meiko Satomura, who started off in a '90s women's promotion, GAEA, where she was trained by Chigusa Nagoya, who now runs Marvelous. Their shared style is sometimes referred to as GAEA-ism in tribute to the shared background of the founders. They don't really go in for the razzmatazz of some wrestling promotions, it's just hard hitting action. A fantastic example of Sendai Girls is this match from January: Chihiro Hashimoto & Mika Iwata vs Sareee & Mio Momono

The tag match was a really good watch, and thank you for the overall info, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

English commentary isn't a dealbreaker, but it helps me follow along, which is why I'd prefer it. Like, sure, I get it, Hashimoto is challenging Sareee (for example), but I'd love to know why, and some details.

From what I'm understanding, Stardom is on Stardom-World (920 yen/month), TJPW is on Wrestle Universe (1298 yen/month, also includes Sendai Girls, DDT, and NOAH?). Do those prices include everything, or will I be paying X/month and then needing to pay extra on top of that?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Serperoth posted:

The tag match was a really good watch, and thank you for the overall info, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

English commentary isn't a dealbreaker, but it helps me follow along, which is why I'd prefer it. Like, sure, I get it, Hashimoto is challenging Sareee (for example), but I'd love to know why, and some details.

From what I'm understanding, Stardom is on Stardom-World (920 yen/month), TJPW is on Wrestle Universe (1298 yen/month, also includes Sendai Girls, DDT, and NOAH?). Do those prices include everything, or will I be paying X/month and then needing to pay extra on top of that?

can't speak for Stardom, but wrestle universe is basically everything. Every now and then they'll throw a pay per view in their but they're more for specific special interest shows than for huge shows.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Stardom do PPVs, but if you wait a week (often slightly less, 5 days) they end up on Stardom World anyway so I personally don't feel that's a huge deal breaker. Wrestle Universe also has them, but while Stardom PPVs are usually their bigger shows (most recently All-Star Grand Queendom from the 27th April, which had 6 title matches & some outside talent like Sareee & Aja Kong) TJPW's are...I kind of want to say non-canon. Or at least they have that vibe. For example the most recent TJPW PPV was an hour long behind-the-scenes feature on their big Grand Princess show. I'm sure it'd be interesting, & the much more dedicated TJPW fans will enjoy it but even if it was free I'd probably not watch it because I've got too much wrestling to watch already. Certainly not paying 3500 Yen to watch it when the actual show is part of the WU sub!!! And their previous TJPW PPV was an event called Aquarium Pro Wrestling In Yokohama Hakkeijima Sea Paradise that aired back in December. Which is basically what it sounds like, a wrestling show in a swimming pool. Before that they did a show at a tiny venue where TJPW held it's first ever event way back in 2013, which if I remember right didn't even have a mat. These shows can be quite fun, especially the ones in like adventure parks or swimming pool, it's very silly, but it's very much inessential viewing. Where as Stardom's last PPV had Mayu Iwatani vs Sareee & Maika vs Momo Watanabe and this poo poo is top singles matches with titles on the line & in a major venue. But like I said, it's already up on Stardom World to watch as part of your sub, you're basically only buying the PPV if you have no ability to wait. And I have such a big wrestling backlog that even if I wanted to watch these shows live I can't.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Stardom do PPVs, but if you wait a week (often slightly less, 5 days) they end up on Stardom World anyway so I personally don't feel that's a huge deal breaker. Wrestle Universe also has them, but while Stardom PPVs are usually their bigger shows (most recently All-Star Grand Queendom from the 27th April, which had 6 title matches & some outside talent like Sareee & Aja Kong) TJPW's are...I kind of want to say non-canon. Or at least they have that vibe. For example the most recent TJPW PPV was an hour long behind-the-scenes feature on their big Grand Princess show. I'm sure it'd be interesting, & the much more dedicated TJPW fans will enjoy it but even if it was free I'd probably not watch it because I've got too much wrestling to watch already. Certainly not paying 3500 Yen to watch it when the actual show is part of the WU sub!!! And their previous TJPW PPV was an event called Aquarium Pro Wrestling In Yokohama Hakkeijima Sea Paradise that aired back in December. Which is basically what it sounds like, a wrestling show in a swimming pool. Before that they did a show at a tiny venue where TJPW held it's first ever event way back in 2013, which if I remember right didn't even have a mat. These shows can be quite fun, especially the ones in like adventure parks or swimming pool, it's very silly, but it's very much inessential viewing. Where as Stardom's last PPV had Mayu Iwatani vs Sareee & Maika vs Momo Watanabe and this poo poo is top singles matches with titles on the line & in a major venue. But like I said, it's already up on Stardom World to watch as part of your sub, you're basically only buying the PPV if you have no ability to wait. And I have such a big wrestling backlog that even if I wanted to watch these shows live I can't.

So no need to pay extra for anything, if I'm understanding correct, just worst case some waiting (which I don't mind, the only shows I've ever seen as they happened was Forbidden Door on FITE and All In in London), that's good to hear.

I think I'll check out the latest TJPW show then, since I can get that on the free trial, and see where I go from there.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Honestly, most of the TJPW PPVs turn up on shall we say legally grey parts of the internet, so if one really sounds interesting to you it's worth checking VK or BiliBili or YouKu. Russian & Chinese sites do not seem overly concerned with policing Japanese copyright law.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Grand Princess was a very good recent show

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Can someone explain the issue with Rossi and Unagi?

https://x.com/merawrestling/status/1788039809417527395?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

It's kayfabe. I'm guessing Unagi will be on an upcoming Marigold show.