Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Is the Adele look alike good?

She's ok. She has the Nia Jax problem of being booked as a monster heel because of her size, but also not really being able to pull that off because she gives off the vibe of being too nice a person for that. That being said, her brief Shimmer run wasn't super great, but her work in Japan and England seems much better.

I was already actually planning to be in the Orlando area when the MYC is taping, so I'm going to the shows. I'm probably leaning either Evie/Dakota or Nixon Newell to win, just because they've signed contracts but haven't debuted on NXT TV yet, so it'd give them a good boost going in. Neither are really strong promos, but both are pretty great wrestlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I was kind of surprised that Tessa Blanchard retained the Shimmer Tag Titles. I'd just assumed she was going to get signed with the rest of this swath after the Mae Young Classic.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

rovert posted:

Nicole Matthews:

Have a lot of respect for Nicole. She's kind of like the female Chuck Taylor character wise. Sadly she's more or less exiled up in Vancouver. A very expense plane ticket for US promoters. Hope this raises her profile.

Good for Nicole! She and Veda Scott had a tryout a couple years back that I'd hoped would land them both jobs since there's so few women in the division who can cut a good promo. I don't see Nicole making it too far, but her character work is so good hopefully she gets an opportunity to show it.

I'm going to the show tonight and tomorrow. I'm really interested to see how things shake out even though the finale won't be for a couple months.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

oatgan posted:

shayna is a very bad promo but her match with io earlier this year killed

Sadly, he two best promos in women's wrestling right now are in Orlando and not being used for the Mae Young Classic (Nicole Matthews was, apparently, an alternate and Veda Scott was int he SHINE tournament). Hopefully they get another go soon.

E: I attended the show tonight (and will be back tomorrow). No spoilers, just a few notes:

- The Alpha Female/Abby Laith match was WAY better than I expected, and was probably the first match of the night to get the crowd really pumped up after a pretty intense striking exchange.
- Toni Storm was way over in a way that kind of took me by surprise considering I didn't know how much of the crowd was made up of people who would've seen her work in Stardom et al.
- Most of the "guests" at ringside came out and didn't even stay for the match, but props to Charlotte, Bayley and Emma for sticking out the whole show even after they'd been introduced.
- Kairi Sane's pirate music and costume is ridiculous and I love it.
- It looked like Dakota Kai scraped her arm up pretty good, hopefully nothing internal got busted
- A couple of what I would consider medium-sized surprises in the first round. Much like the CWC, I expect things to start getting a bit more predictable at tomorrow's taping

TheHock fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 14, 2017

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Really cool stuff happened tonight, and I suspect the same will be true tomorrow. I just think that I would want to go in as fresh as possible, and I don't want to rob other people of the experience of watching it as fresh as possible, which is why I didn't post anything that would be a real spoiler other than that Abby/Jazzy fought.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

coconono posted:

So wait, are the women locked up in contracts that keeps them from making other dates during the interim?

Almost all of the non-WWE contracted talent in the tournament have future announced dates, so I would guess not, unless all of them suddenly start canceling. Maybe this is WWE's long con to put Wrestlecircus out of business.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

rovert posted:

There's two and Becky spoiled one

To be clear there was only one match that featured the alternates and it was a tag match. The losers bracket also had a six woman match that was probably taped for NXT (they had Nigel, Tom Phillips and Beth Phoenix calling the match).

If they're only going to sign five people out of this, I think four of them are pretty obvious. I'm sort of curious who the fifth would be.

It's also worth noting that Shimmer's owner Dave Prazak was backstage for the tournament. I assume this means he's finally going to start letting WWE use clips of Shimmer matches for profiles (after either being too lazy or stubborn to do so when Paige was on Total Divas.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

The first round match to go out and find is Abbey Laith vs. Jazzy Gabert. It was really something else, almost assuredly the match of night one.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Lots of Shimmer footage on this show, do they have a good working relationship with WWE?

Dave Prazak was backstage at the show and helped agent some, I believe. Triple H said on the SummerSlam press tour that he wants to work with Dave more down the road.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

I said this in the other thread but it's weird to see Berwyn and Logan Square on the Network.

It's been really weird catching glimpses of myself at Shimmer shows on WWE Network.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Some (mostly spoiler-free) thoughts from having been there live and now watching it back:

- Rachel Evers translates much better live than she did during her televised matches. She has a ton of energy and it really lifted the crowd to the point where I didn't really notice how mediocre her match was
- Piper Nevin is great. She was really mediocre during her Shimmer debut, but I hadn't seen anything else of hers and I'd kept hearing how great she was, so I didn't "get it" until now.
- A little sad that the Jazzy/Abbey match didn't come off as well on tape either. The crowd was super low energy, but when Abbey fired up the crowd really woke up, and as sloppy as that match was at times, it was a lot of fun. Jazzy got an even bigger reaction during a tag match on the second day, leading to huge "Please sign Jazzy" chants during and after the match. Triple H came out for a promo during this and shamed the crowd for making him spend so much money signing cruiserweights.
- I came in as a huge Dakota Kai fan, and I think she got a good chance to show off what she can do in the tournament, especially in the Rhea Ripley match. She did what she could with Kavita Devi. I hate giving her the Coup des Gras as a finish, especially as there's no way she keeps it as long as Finn is doing it. I don't like the TTYL either (basically a GTS into a kick), but she's got a cool backbreaker that would be better.
- Kay Lee Ray is good and kind of got hosed having to limit her offence against Sugehit. Also, I'd never seen her work heel before and it didn't really work.
- I liked Shayna a lot going into the show, but her style doesn't really transfer over to a televised product very well. I think if she was given the right people to work with and TV presentation as this MMA killer, she could get over in WWE though. I'm more interested in seeing her against any of the WWE Horsewomen than Rhonda.
- Candice was really good. ]They shot a little longer angle of Johnny helping her up and out of the ring, but didn't put it on the episode.
- Nicole Savoy was clearly still testing her knee during her first match, and it's really too bad. She was great before she got hurt and hopefully after she shakes out the cobwebs she can get right back to it.
- The world doesn't deserve Toni Storm or Kairi Sane. I thought the pirate stuff was pretty dumb when I was there, but it's grown on me a lot since then. Her theme is great.
- I love JR, but just like when he did the New Japan shows, you could tell he was just given a bullet point list of "interesting" things about each competitor and figured he would wing the rest, but then he never came up with anything interesting to say and neither did Lita.
- I wasn't a big fan of how many spots went to people who were clearly having one of their first matches in the tournament, but I'd like to see more of Taynara Conti and Xia Li after they've had some more time in the performance center.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Shows four WWE wrestlers.

JR: The fans here at ringside....

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I wasn't on that side either, but I was talking to some people after the show and she hit at a weird angle where one of the ring supports were and split her head open. I feared for the worst when she popped up and tried to restart the match even though she could clearly barely stand, but she seemed to be fine (other than being covered in blood) at intermission. Funny that it happened against Shazza McKenzie who had a similar injury last November. It was a rough weekend for injuries in general. Kikyo, Courtney Rush and Hudson Envy all got hurt during the tapings. Kikyo dislocated her elbow and it was pretty nasty.

A couple other notes from the show in case anyone is interested:

-Tessa Blanchard was crying after her last match and waved goodbye to the crowd after she left, so I assume she actually did get signed for real too.
-The people coming in from the Impact tapings had worked eight straight days by the end of the last show, so hats off to all of them.
-Despite some pretty clear limitations, Aja Kong and Mia Yim worked what was probably the best match of the weekend.
-I was only sort of familiar with Zoe Lucas coming into the weekend, and had only ever seen her work face, but she was awesome. She's like a tall, British Portia Perez.
-Hikaru Shida should give classes on selling, because getting her knee dismantled by Mercedes Martinez was genuinely uncomfortable to watch.
-The RISE show on Friday and SHIMMER on Saturday were both sold out, but there were 2/3 as many people at the Sunday show. The crowd was louder for Sunday though.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

coconono posted:

If I get some time today, I'll do a feature post on Angelus Layne. Just saw her Southern Underground Pro brawl on powerbomb.tv and it was gonzo.

Hopefully she's doing ok. A couple years ago, she had a string of really bad concussions and wasn't doing well.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

When I first heard about Tam being bounced from Oedo Tai, I was disappointed because Tam's such a great part of the act and they'd just got done with a "Are Oedo Tai breaking up"? storyline, but in retrospect this is probably the best thing for her career. Her evil manager act is great, but now that she's back wrestling I'm not sure where she'd fit in their pecking order. This is ultimately best for her singles career. Maybe she can go back to being a samurai.

Or at least that's what I'd be saying if she wasn't immediately thrust into another faction angle.

I forgot where I read it, but I like the idea that Rossy is just baffled by the success of Oedo Tai and is doing everything he can to try to kill it. Adding a cutesy manager only made them more popular? Well, now we'll just take her away!

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

The booking in Shine is usually way worse than the wrestling, but the wrestling can be pretty bad sometimes too. There's usually some good talent there though, as Super No Vacancy noted.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Who gets custody of P-chan is one of the great mysteries in professional wrestling today.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

In other news, that bump Hana took was scary as poo poo and I'm glad she's ok.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Here are Kagetsu and Hana taking their press conference very seriously.

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/961105724284833793

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

For whatever it's worth, I actually think it's fairly smart. A good portion of their roster is either current or former Impact talent, and if they want to present themselves as a training ground for young wrestlers wanting to break through, offering training in and around a production environment (even one as lovely as Impact's) actually delivers some valuable experience.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

For those of you hoping that the Hana Kimura/Sumie Sakai match will be uploaded to the WOH/ROH channel or even Honor Club, I have bad news for you. It's not airing anywhere, and they have no plans to release it apparently. :psyduck:

Why fly somebody over from Japan to have them wrestle a dark match? :psyduck:

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I agree that Io/Tam vs Kagetsu/Sumire doesn't make much sense for that kind of match and that it should be saved for either Tam/Hana or Tam and Mayu/Hana and Kagetsu, but I'm not against the idea of Stardom throwing out a deathmatch every once in a while. It's not something they should do regularly because that's not really what the roster is built for, but I don't mind scaling up the violence if the feud calls for it.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I can't wait for Hana and Tam to end up in Team Jungle somehow.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Priscilla's ok. I think her character work is better than her ring work, but I've enjoyed what I've seen of her.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I just assumed that Rossy was recruiting Randy Orton to join Queen's Quest.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

As long as I get to see Martina do the Oedo Tai dance, this will all be worth it.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I'm not 100% sure, but if there is any SHIMMER on there it would only be the previous WrestleMania shows. Dave Prazak has hinted that SHIMMER shows will be on some streaming service or another in the near future (especially since they're backlogged 20 DVDs at this point).

Speaking of SHIMMER , here are results and some notes from the weekend:

RISE

-Removed from her stable in Australia, the Facebrooke gimmick *really* doesn't translate
-I wish Saraya Knight vs. Joey Ryan at RISE was a better match, but nothing of note really happened until they both beat up Andy Long afterwards
-Kevin Harvey calling out that he oversold the building on a SHIMMER weekend was kind of a dick move.
-Mercedes Martinez mocking a child with cancer and then winning her match against Taya Valkyrie is maybe some of the worst booking I've ever witnessed.
-I wonder how co-promoting their big tag team supershow in July with Impact will go over
-Zoe Lucas' gauntlet match was pretty dumb, but she's awesome
-The live broadcast of the show never got started, but I'm guessing the commentary team of Veda Scott and Alysin Kay is worth watching the VOD

SHIMMER 101 & 102

-Half the roster having the flu really impacted the match quality and how much of the roster was available for every show, but everybody gave it everything they had
-This was probably Cheerleader Melissa's best weekend as far as match quality since she won the title for the second time
-Su Yung returning was a genuinely surprising moment and considering how long it's been since she's been at SHIMMER, it's clear how much she's improved
-Seeing Kris Wolf live really hammers home how much more energy she has than anybody else in the building. She's a joy to watch.

SHIMMER 103 & 104

-It was probably too soon for Shazza to lose the Heart of SHIMMER title and losing it to Dust was a weird, bad decision. Hopefully Shazza gets a shot at the Mae Young Classic this year.
-Also, for making such a big re-debut the day before, Su Yung lost a title shot and then didn't do much in a six way match on the two tapings. I wish she would've won the six way.

-Even if it was just for one night, seeing the reunion of the Minnesota Home Wrecking Crew felt right.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Quasipox posted:

So I went ahead and got the ClubWWN sub, and while SHIMMER isn't on there, Shine is. They do still have the majority of the SHIMMER shows as VODs, but at $15 a pop it gets a bit pricey.

What is the usual release schedule for the non-Mania shows though? Are they only still doing DVDs or do they do more VODs now?

Trying to find answers on the internet has been hard oddly enough.

DVDs and individual matches on Click Wrestle. They're 20 DVDs behind right now, so it's pretty much impossible to follow regularly unless you go to the shows. It's still 2015 according to SHIMMER's release schedule.

Prazak said until recently that he wouldn't budge on his DVD production schedule (or lack thereof), but said on Twitter shortly before the last round of tapings that he's working on some sort of VOD. Whether that's through WWN, Fite or the rumored WWE thing, I don't know.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I'm not going to fly down to Florida for it this year, but I can't wait for Nicole Matthews to somehow be a 14th alternate again despite the fact that they don't have any Canadians in the tournament.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

So if it's not Hazuki or Hana (assuming she lets her Wrestle1 contract run out next year and signs then), is the assumption still Tam and/or Mayu? I could see either one of them fitting into the MYC if not necessarily NXT.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

It'd certainly explain why Tam went from working a main event program against Oedo Tai back to basically being a young girl within a couple months.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

It might be that you will never top "adorable wrestler gets bullied and finally stands up for herself in an exploding bat deathmatch" as a storyline, so they are just leaving things as perfect and moving on.

If that's the case, I just wish she would've gotten her big blowoff with Hana. Most of that story was so much about Hana trying everything she could think of to kill Tam and to have the big blowoff feature Io (instead of Mayu) and Sumire (instead of Hana) felt kind of unsatisfying.

Also that news about Maho is so sad. Hopefully she takes the time she needs.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Hana and Kagetsu lost the Goddesses of Stardom Tag Titles to Mayu and Saki Kashima. I think they were one defense short of the record. I'm guessing Kagetsu moves on to a bigger singles run.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

The only company willing to pay that right now is ROH, and the ROH/STARDOM partnership is utter cancer. Which is probably why Rossy has been seen at WWE events lately. He wants a working relationship with WWE. I imagine if that ever came to fruition, they would let STARDOM run a show at Axcess during Summerslam or Wrestlemania weekend.

Not that SHIMMER is the bastion of financial responsibility or deep pockets, but I've always wondered why they don't have a better working relationship. They share the same international talent pool and both work closely with RISE (extremely closely in Shimmer's case) and Melissa (is/was) working for them as well. It seems like that would be as good a place as any to get some American exposure and joshi are almost always well received at SHIMMER, but the only joshi we ever get over here are freelancers.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Hana was right. Sumire really was a bad influence on Oedo Tai.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Norwegian Rudo posted:

If their business plan was relying on paid seminars long term it's no wonder they're struggling. You might get good attendance a few times, but people aren't going to attend more than a few times. You're going to wear out the potential customer base quickly, and the recruitment to women's wrestling isn't nearly strong enough to replenish the pool quick enough.

RISE had a really weird business model. Kevin Harvey started it as a feeder system for SHIMMER that would run training seminars the day before the SHIMMER tapings with the idea that it would draw a bunch of girls that would want to get on those shows.

Their first show was a modest success. The wrestling was, on a whole, really bad, but it drew fairly well and did its job of getting the seminar people onto SHIMMER. He tried a similar thing with a men's show, which was a disaster. The second women's show did better than the first one, and then he tried to take the concept from 0-60.

He started booking the shows around bigger "name" indie talent (including flying international talent in for his joint show with AWS in LA), and the new seminar talent was basically relegated to dark matches and jobbing to the "stars". So people stopped spending a bunch of money to fly across the country and paying a bunch of money for the seminar for maybe the opportunity to wrestle in a gauntlet match with Zoe Lucas. He also raised ticket prices for the show from $10/$5 to $50/$25, which made smart business sense, but probably didn't endear himself to the crowd that was already paying up to $300 that weekend. (All the while bragging that the last RISE show in Berwyn had outdrawn SHIMMER that weekend).

Then he announced a partnership with Impact to do a weekly TV show (which seemed doomed from the start) and put all his money on being able to draw a big crowd to Illinois on a holiday weekend when he isn't partnered with SHIMMER. And now it sounds like he's left holding the bag having to pay off a bunch of international talent without a crowd.

In some sense, I feel bad, because the idea behind RISE was a good one. The SHIMMER roster has never been thinner and the first few RISE shows were really great about bringing in new talent and getting them booked. But, like any good promoter, Kevin tried to turn a modestly successful side project into a stand alone product and it flopped miserably.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

It was a good match and a good showcase for Oedo Tai. Both Kagetsu and Hana looked a little more comfortable than they did in the WOH tournament. Listening to the ring announcer mangle their names was the real highlight, though.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Awesome to see Jinny in there too, especially after she had to get pulled from the UK special due to injury.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

Is she cleared to wrestle? She had a blood clot in her lungs which is pretty serious business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

IPW tweeted this morning that Chelsea Green is cancelling her upcoming England tour "Due to unforeseen circumstances, which will become clearer in the next couple of weeks."