Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Is Stardom the closest thing going to like early 90s AJW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Huh. I'm skeptical, but it could be cool? I kinda cringe away from anime though. Hope it works out for the talent.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Wonder how much say the wrestlers had in the gimmicks/outfits.

I hope it's good!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I'm excited to watch the show, it sounds like it was fun!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/1222Dragonmoon/status/1710703391004045585?s=20

For the Twitter-averse, it's a Natsupoi status update. The cervical herniation is not from a specific injury but gradual wear and tear. She has numbness and tingling in her hands and stiffness in her neck. She wanted to work through it but saw footage of her signature German suplex and thought it looked way worse than it used to. Her stablemates encouraged her to take time off. She's hoping to be back before the end of the year but will likely miss all of October. Not going to get surgery, just taking time to recover and doing some PT.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

If you like wrestling wrestling you'll have more fun watching Stardom IMO. TJPW is like DDT where most of the card is comedy and character stuff with maybe one or two matches being actually hard-hitting work rate type deals. If you like watching fun characters work their gimmicks then TJPW is quite good. And as mentioned a Wrestle Universe sub gets you a whole lot more promotions to watch than Stardom World. Stardom is closer to what I like with usually harder hitting matches and a lot of good talent.

Besides those two promotions your best bet is to look on Cagematch and find a show that Sareee, Mio Momono, or Chihiro Hashimoto wrestled on. They're the best imo who aren't on TJPW or Stardom. And then you can find people from those shows or even start following Sendai and Marvelous or whatever if you can figure out Nico Nico

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

yea ok posted:

still cant believe this is real

God bless us all

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

If you really wanna watch someone you'll probably track their matches down. Arguing about someone wanting such and such to wrestle for the show they watch is boring. You could be watching a Mio Momono match instead. Or a Natsupoi match. Or a Sareee match.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Anyone know if Marshmallow Bomb is on hiatus or over? I liked getting random joshi reviews in my inbox every now and again.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

No Poi, no buy

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

The conversation around companies "poaching" or "stealing" talent is always weird to me. Don't the wrestlers have agency? Or are these shady dealings where Tony Khan is threatening to break kneecaps if people don't sign with AEW? I get the resentment of seeing your favorite wrestlers leave your favorite promotion to go do something else, but it's not like Okada woke up in the back of a limo with the Young Bucks saying you work for us now. NJPW in particular just ran a hugely successful show stateside that I dunno would have done as well without AEW involvement. But you gotta look at the wrestlers as people, with agency, who may want to work somewhere else and make more money or whatever.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

If New Japan just poached Kento & Yuma Anzai I would not be happy :shrug: i like wrestlers I enjoy to be in places that will let them wrestle good, and very rarely is that AEW for women.

I don't begrudge wrestlers doing what's best for them financially because it's a short career but that doesn't mean I'll like it.

Yeah absolutely. Like I said, I totally get being sad when your favorite wrestler leaves the promotion you watch. Some of the discussion around it though talks about the wrestlers like they're trading cards rather than human beings :shrug:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Stardom talent could leave for AEW whether the companies have a working relationship or not though ? Better not let the wrestlers see there are alternatives out there ?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Donald Trump is a ganguro girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

They're cool as hell though