Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
As for the results of the MYC, I've talked about it before, but I would say the two names I could see winning (or rather, should win) are Toni Storm or Kairi Hojo. Maybe Candice LaRae, but I don't know about that too much.

I fully expect it to be a TJP like person though.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
https://twitter.com/WWENZ/status/880531477854773248

(Formerly known as Evie)

Dunno how I feel about the name Dakota Kai.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

KungFu Grip posted:

is there going to be a separate Mae Young Classic thread like there was for the CWC or will the Mae Young Classic not have as many aired show

They are apparently taping the majority of it in July, and then releasing it in large chunks. So there probably won't be a need for a thread, as multiple episodes will be dropped at once.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Auritech posted:

I'm actually going to one of Stardom's Shinkiba 1st Ring shows on Sunday! It will be my first live wrestling experience on any continent let alone the first time I'll see joshipuro. Is there anyone I should look out for? I imagine these aren't important like the Korakuen Hall matches or any of their tours, but I'm still really excited.

Most people in STARDOM are pretty good. I'd say the real exception to the rule are the rookie matches, but I'm not going to really criticize them, since they are young kids.

As for people to look out for, Hana Kimura, Kagetsu, Queens Quest (HZK and AZM), and Mayu Iwatani are all good folks to watch.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

TheHock posted:

She's ok. She has the Nia Jax problem of being booked as a monster heel because of her size, but also not really being able to pull that off because she gives off the vibe of being too nice a person for that. That being said, her brief Shimmer run wasn't super great, but her work in Japan and England seems much better.

I was already actually planning to be in the Orlando area when the MYC is taping, so I'm going to the shows. I'm probably leaning either Evie/Dakota or Nixon Newell to win, just because they've signed contracts but haven't debuted on NXT TV yet, so it'd give them a good boost going in. Neither are really strong promos, but both are pretty great wrestlers.

Evie's been on NXT TV before as a jobber to Nia Jax, and I think Asuka as well. I'm leaning towards Kairi Sane, simply because she has way more hype built up behind her, and would probably need the win, because her English isn't that great.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Stardom's English PR team is hilariously bad. This statement comes immediately after them doing nothing but making GBS threads on Meltzer and other "dirtsheets".

quote:

While kairi wants to keep the elbow (I know that for a fact...and she said she might not be able to in WWE), but the WWE website and their creative and developmental have about zero to do with each other. So often times you will see stuff on the website that are "out of whack" with the real world of WWE. Hopefully in the end they let her use it. But I wouldn't take mention of it on the website as meaning that she can use it, when they specifically told her maybe she can't.

quote:

Kairi signed for less than she made in Stardom. And if you know half of what has gone on between WWE and Stardom (behind the scenes), they haven't done us any favors.

If I was Rossy, I would have replaced them by now.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Yeah, just saw it. Bianca is still green, but I feel like she has potential to become a decent worker down the road.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Sareee and Arisa Nakajima were sent out offers to come to the performance center and possibly get a WWE contract, according to Squared Circle Sirens.

http://squaredcirclesirens.com/arisa-nakajima-sareee-scouted-by-wwe/

Both are members of the SEAdLINNNG roster in Japan.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Mae Young Classic has a new logo:

It looks better on the actual page, by the way.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/maeyoungclassic

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Mae Young Classic competitors will be introduced live on Facebook this Thursday (before the taping starts, most likely).

http://www.wwe.com/shows/maeyoungclassic/article/watch-mae-young-classic-parade-of-champions-facebook-live?sf97020875=1

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Skinty McEdger posted:

At the rate that injuries are striking the participants I wouldn't be shocked if we got some mysterious masked wrestlers like La hija del hugger

The only person injured right now though who was supposed to participate was Nixon Newell. Io Shirai was never going to be part of the tournament, even if she didn't have a neck injury, and I haven't heard of any other injuries to the participants.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Baron Corbyn posted:

this is utterly bizarre. What's the reasoning?

Summerslam. WWE feels like it would overshadow (or would be overshadowed in) the build to Summerslam. Which is really stupid, considering the release schedule is still really dumb.

The dumbest part about the entire thing is WWE needing to have a bracketology thing, over a month after the semis are set.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Gaz-L posted:

I doubt it, unless they actively signed a WWE long-term deal. The CWC guys that didn't stay obvious had to give WWE first refusal on the dates that the shows were taping, but otherwise were free to work as they would.

Is the plan to have the semis and the finals after that SD taping or just the literal final match, because they did a press release today that implies the latter which seems kinda dumb, and they could probably just throw it out on Smackdown proper if that was the idea?

They plan on airing the semi finals and the finals live, according to the latest Jim Ross podcast.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
God bless Brazil. The latest WWE.com poll asks who will win the MYC, and look at the results so far.

Taynara Conti with almost 40% of the votes so far. In the distant second place, we have Kairi Sane with 12%. (The one answer cut off at the top is Jazzy Gabert with 6%)

If WWE actually paid attention to these polls, I would expect an expansion into Brazil at this point.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Shocking number of people are pulling for Taynara Conti. It's a Brazil thing, though. If I recall, she won that WWE.com poll in a landslide (like 36% of the vote or something). Second place was Kairi Sane with like 10% of the vote.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

TV Zombie posted:

Huh. Did the older joshi feel that at the beginning of her career? I though Asuka would have been more mild mannered as a rookie.

Oh boy. Asuka was seen as a massive rear end in a top hat in Japan while she was still active there. Good, yes. rear end in a top hat? Definitely. She had a reputation for stiffing/hurting people she didn't like (intentionally). She also burned several bridges while she was there, the most notable being with the Shirai Sisters (Io Shirai and Mio Shirai).

Long story short, she burned bridges with her Joshi wrestling manifesto, REALLY pissing off both Io and Mio. Asuka has apparently since made amends with Io Shirai, but I haven't heard much about Mio Shirai. Then again from what I understand about Mio, its really easy to get her to dislike you, considering she hated her sister at one point as well.

Basically, Mio Shirai basically cut ties for some time with her sister over the Mexico drug smuggling incident that Io had. It doesn't help that at the time (before she was arrested, I think), Io Shirai had publicly stated that she only had three real loves in the world: Cats, wrestling, and weed. She's since apologized for the drama, and calmed down significantly (also she made amends with Mio, working in her retirement match as well). I think the latest bit of drama involving Io Shirai now (if you even want to call it that), was STARDOM being partially blindsided by her announcing that she had a neck injury. No one knows how severe it is, but its bad enough that its forcing her to re-evaluate her career direction.

I think the only thing we've heard on that front though is that she does want to finish up with STARDOM officially before heading over to WWE though (after her neck injury is taken care of). Then again, one of the factors in her actually signing with the WWE was that Bull Nakano told her to do it. Basically the WWE is the best way to make a name for yourself in the western world, at least for female wrestlers. It also helps that Asuka has been treated extremely well so far, and it's looking like Kairi will be as well. Probably because Triple H is a giant Japanese wrestling fan.

That was way more than I meant to write about the joshi scene and its current state/past, but whatever. If people are interested in where its possibly going, let me know, and I'll write about what I think the future will be.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 23, 2017

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Aphrodite posted:

Japanese music industry has the same "rules" for women too, doesn't it?

The Japanese Idol scene is even more strict. Also the no boyfriends thing doesn't really apply to joshi. Or at least specific people don't give a poo poo about that. I know Io Shirai dated some guy for some time before breaking up with him due to a pretty significant scandal involving them and another wrestling promotion.

Also I would say in the joshi scene today, Shirai is probably the most prideful, while people like Kairi or Mayu are more humble.

Speaking of Kairi, she sent out this tweet a little bit ago:

https://twitter.com/KairiSaneWWE/status/891127804754104321

Kairi is essentially going to be Japanese Bayley, except probably connects better with the crowd.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 29, 2017

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Aphrodite posted:

Probably a better talker too.

I know you are joking, but I wouldn't go that far. Kairi's (spoken) English isn't the strongest right now.

I would put her b/w Asuka and Nakamura in terms of fluency. I imagine by the time she actually debuts on NXT, she'll have a decent grasp of the language, but until then. I don't remember if there is a goon in here who teaches English in Japan (I think it was Auritech?), but it's a really hard language to learn either way. I couldn't tell you how Japan does it, outside of there being certification for it (EIKEN).

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Yup. And for reference, here is an older promo from Kairi (in English):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYRTWjG53P8

She tends to stop and think carefully about what words she wants to use (even though she still tends to be the wrong words). She's apparently gotten somewhat better recently though. It helps that she tweeted (before moving to Orlando) about taking the EIKEN test and trying to brush up on her English.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

tzirean posted:

As we can see, that's not necessarily a second-language thing. :D

Whoops. To be fair, I'm tired and had to deal with my family during my birthday, when I just wanted to have a quiet afternoon. :shobon:

Unrelated: Asuka has passed the The New Day in terms of how long she's held the title. I'm really impressed WWE has kept the title on her for so long, despite being Japanese.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Wow, this is way sooner than I thought it would be. Wonder if the 5* GP will be her farewell?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Sorry for the double post, but Io Shirai posted a new blog entry that explained the situation a bit more. She found a doctor in Japan who took really good care of her neck, and combined with rehab, feels like she is ready to get back into the ring, which is why she's coming back for the 5* GP. I'm interested to see what Dave says about it, combined with the reaction from WWE. His Japanese sources are shaky, but I'm pretty sure his sources with regards to WWE contracts are pretty solid.

I imagine afterwards, she'll probably challenge Mayu for the title again, then leave for the WWE. Then again, there are some people that are speculating that WWE pulled their contract offer, which is why she's returning this soon.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 30, 2017

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Accident Underwater posted:

I only heard about how hosed his back was, which I think maybe caused him to miss Smackdown once ot twice but has otherwise been no issue.

I hope that if Io wanted to go to WWE she still has the shot.

WWE really wanted to sign her, so I doubt they would pull the contract. I think the question is, what is her contract status with WWE as of right now? Dave reported awhile back that she signed, but he's been wrong about Japanese stuff in the past. On the other hand, his WWE sources tend to be pretty solid when it comes to contract stuff.

Stardom's English PR team has been acting really cagey/mysterious when asked if she's staying with STARDOM, so who knows. I believe she's still signed, because (spoilers for the recent show [and I guess the MYC sorta] in the following tag):

Viper/Piper has joined Queen's Quest, and there are an absurd number of people in it now, considering Stardom's roster size [Io, Viper, HZK, AZM, Momo Watanabe].

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 31, 2017

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

rovert posted:

Troll instead of someone who is just putting out company propaganda?

I can believe the fact that Stardom's official english sources are pretty sketchy, considering the guy running the accounts had a meltdown over Sane/Hojo leaving. Why Stardom keeps him employed I dont know.

Also as for the reddit stuff you ended up tweeting out Rovert, they did the same thing with Kairi right before she announced she was leaving. I wouldn't be shocked if Rossy or STARDOM as a whole have no idea or cares about their English fanbase outside of the bare minimum support required, which is why this guy is still running their English stuff.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 31, 2017

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Kairi Sane suffered a concussion at the MYC tapings, according to Pro Wrestling Sheet/Ryan Satin. However, she should be cleared to compete again by mid August.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Shirai will not be going to WWE according to Meltzer. Concern over her neck injury, along with the fact that WWE is supposedly satisfied with Kairi and Asuka is enough for them. Meaning Shirai will be working the 5* GP with a broken neck.

Stardom's English PR may insist otherwise about the neck but I wouldn't put stock in their statement.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Norwegian Rudo posted:

The Observer story makes 0% sense. The only thing I can see that fits somewhat with the timeline is that WWE told Io to get her neck fixed before they'd sign her and she decided against it. If all that was needed was a few weeks rest then WWE would have signed her right away.

I don't know. This part of the article sticks out to me:

quote:

Nobody has directly said that WWE decided against offering her a contract due to her neck issues that they found in her physicals, but they had stalled on offering her a contract months ago when they found out about the injury while she did her medicals in the U.S. After she did her medicals, WWE wanted her to take time off to rehab her neck. She did that and was just cleared by doctors to return to the ring after her therapy. Then WWE seemingly decided against offering her the deal. While every case is different, WWE has had a general rule of not wanting to bring in new talent that either has concussion issues or neck issues. It also could be that with Kairi Hojo and Asuka they already have two Japanese women and had discovered more women from other nationalities that they wanted to sign from the Mae Young Classic. Even though most would say Shirai was better than Hojo or Asuka, timing is everything in this business.

It's true that WWE has a tendency to handle neck/concussion issues on a case by case basis. Kairi apparently has a history of concussions and got signed. I'm really not going to blame any party (at least more than the other) here, but I will note that both STARDOM and WWE are at fault here (I can't really blame Io for this, to be honest). WWE for being indecisive this long, and STARDOM for lashing out at people for saying that Shirai really shouldn't be working. Because if she was working while she was supposed to be rehabbing her neck, I'd wager STARDOM pressured her into it, and that would probably put her in a bad light, at least in WWE's eyes. Even if she has been cleared to wrestle, it's still bad optics.

Regardless, I feel bad for Mayu in this situation, who is probably going to get bumped back down the card. Again.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 3, 2017

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Kairi is cool and good.

https://twitter.com/KairiSaneWWE/status/895330476457476096

I'm glad she's enjoying herself over here so far.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Angelina Love is gone from GFW:

https://twitter.com/ActualALove/status/896510426824966147

:shrug:

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Here is the official bracket for the Mae Young Classic. Please enjoy.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Go RV! posted:

I was thinking about picking up Stardom. Is there anything I should start with in particular?

You can start pretty much anywhere and be fine, but the upcoming 5* GP is a good place to start (when it actually begins).

STARDOM storylines tend to be really easy to follow or get into. As for matches, you have stuff like Mayu Iwatani vs Io Shirai (any of the recent ones are great), etc.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtI4RpNSa2s

Also dogs. :3:

https://twitter.com/skysthelxmit/status/901470932170149888

PS: visit the rest of that twitter thread for more dogs from other superstars.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
The Mae Young Classic episodes are now up on the Network. Go have fun.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

P-Mack posted:

so spoiler free, is this succeeding as far as presenting strong female role models, not being gross, etc? Want to watch with my daughters, so far the only wrestling they've watched is NJPW, which has generally been fine for kids except I fast forward past the tokyo pimps.

Yes, definitely. Few people have gimmicks here, and the ones that do are either inoffensive at worst, or they pride themselves on being family friendly (Kairi Sane has said as much). I'd say the only real questionable part about the tournament is (not result related, but worth noting) Toni Storm's rear end based offense, but that's not unusual for her.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
May as well post it here, but Stardom's English team is under new management. The previous guy was let go because he was unprofessional (not really a shocker, if you've heard the stories about him).

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Basically the guy would lash out at anyone on twitter who supported WWE at all, along with behind the scenes.

Also I heard behind the scenes he started making GBS threads on Kairi for deciding to go to WWE.

This also doesn't help (from the guy who runs a fairly popular english joshi site):

quote:

Stardom's social media guy seems to be anti-social media unless it is him posting it. I got blocked for posting GIFs each with a link to stardom world and when I emailed Stardom to try to get an explanation I was ignored.

It's especially weird for you to get blocked for spoilers though as it's impossible to follow Stardom on twitter and not be spoiled.
I'll continue to support the Stardom talent as they are amazing but the actions of the person who runs the Twitter and his accusations that those who are trying to promote Stardom are thieves have really soured me on the company (at least the English side).

There's a bunch of other stuff as well, like him supposedly feeding Dave bad info just to embarrass him, which caused collateral damage to STARDOM's reputation.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

coconono posted:

MYC is doing a great job about getting normies into Women's wrestling. I'm sorta down for that. Upside is women are gettin paid and that's always awesome. Downside is its a WWE produce which means it will go to poo poo once Bucky and Vince start talking about maximum fuckability.

I don't think Vince or Dunn have anything to do with the Mae Young Classic, and most of these talent are going to end up in NXT anyways, and Vince and Dunn don't have much of a hand there either.

Main Roster is a different story though.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I don't see Toni Storm signing, because she still has a ton of stardom dates advertised, and is holding onto one of their titles.

^^Potential MYC spoilers above

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Aphrodite posted:

It's apparently the 'needs surgery but you can perform with it if you're an idiot' type of neck issue, I think?

Apparently no. Dave said she had the go ahead from the doctor she saw (apparently it was some sort of spinal problem?), but WWE was still hesitant, so they passed on her.

Generally WWE keeps away from people who have had injuries like that, but at the same time, I don't see them passing on Io Shirai down the line either if she continues to remain popular (read: the best female talent in the world), and if Kairi takes off over here. Also I imagine they may make the move if Shirai starts to seriously consider retirement. She's said she's thought about it in the past, but not very seriously until lately. They pulled the same thing with Asuka, although to be fair she was also in a better state than Shirai.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Yeah, I don't know why WWE is targeting India when they could be targeting Brazil. The market there seems a lot more profitable/lucrative over India right now. I remember the poll WWE.com put up asking who will win the MYC, and Taynara was WAY ahead of everyone else.