Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Bianca really impressed me for her level of experience.

Super disappointed that Shayna didn't choke out Stephanie in the ceremony.

Also disappointed that the WWE Network thumbnails for later episodes spoiled earlier ones for me. Ah well. Just don't look closely when navigating if you don't want to see who wins the quarter finals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

My favorite Lita moment so far is her continuing to talk about how a head kick has just given Abbey the advantage, while Rachel is already back on her feet throwing forearms at her and about to land a super powerslam.

My fave was in Mercedes vs. Shayna when she was trying to say "these women know each other's moves very well" and came up with something like "these women each both know their moves." I think it was actually worse than that but I can't recall the exact phrasing.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

shiksa posted:

uh, kairi hojo and bianca belair holy poo poo that was good.

lacey evans and toni storm is an extremely unbalanced matchup of bad gimmick v good gimmick. i love toni storms hair metal thing. i bet it makes dolph so mad that he cant pull it off like that.

poppin spoilers on cause i guess theyre first round spoilers too.

Lacey inarguably has a terrible gimmick, but I thought Toni was trying way too hard as well.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

It already feels like the match quality is a big step up from last year. Meiko/Kelly especially was so drat good. I also loved MJ Jenkins, she's bursting with charisma. And I can't wait for Lacey Lane to be called up to the main roster for her spooky black girls tag team with Ember.

Ember Twoon!

Vanessa Kraven made me miss Jazzy Gabert.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I wish the MYC didn't lean so much on "smaller woman overcomes larger woman" because I'd like to see some lady hoss-offs, dammit!

Funny how the larger/smaller dynamic is basically the opposite of how it is for male competitors.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Man, Conti's selling and facial expressions were really bad in that match. She kept sticking her tongue out for some reason.

Main event was really good, though!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Go RV! posted:

Honestly I kind of feel like this about most of Toni's matches.

Yeeaaaah, I know she's well-liked in general but she hasn't done much for me in the MYCs or on NXT so far.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

DarkstarIV posted:

Hard to believe that there are only two weeks left of the MYC. Next week are all the quarterfinal matches, and then the week after are the two semi final matches. Speaking of women's wrestling, has anyone heard anything about that Women of Wrestling program that is supposedly launching on AXS? I looked at their site and felt a bit skeevy.

It's a shame they're packing all four quarterfinals into one show. That works out to maybe 10 minutes a match, unless it runs long, and the shows have felt pretty rushed so far even for lower-stakes matches.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Oof, more like the girl with the shittiest luck.

Hoping for a Meiko/Io final but expecting Toni/Io which should be fine too.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Phenix Rising posted:

So barely on TV and never doing anything of note?

I'm down for super fat Meiko.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I enjoyed this bit from the Fukuoka show.

Stupid sexy Ligers.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

The last couple Stardom shows were a lot of fun! They're running a 5 Star qualifying round robin to determine the last few spots and a lot of folks are on the bubble.

The June 4th show featured a random three-way where any use of English was punished by being spanked with a fan and/or an inflatable mallet, which was certainly a unique stip.

Saya Iida vs. Ruaka was a highlight of the 5 Star qualifiers so far and got a big gasp out of the Korakuen crowd.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 11, 2022

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

So I subscribed to Stardom World to watch the FSGP and the shows from last Friday and Saturday aren't up, despite being available elsewhere. Were they PPVs or TV broadcasts or something? It sounds like there's usually a 1-3 day delay on shows being posted, but it's weird that the streaming sites got them first.

Both shows were excellent, in any case. Not a bad match in the lot, but some of my faves were Mai vs. KoMomo, AZM vs. Syuri, the two KAIRI tag matches, Giulia vs. Hazuki, SLK vs. Saya, and Utami vs. Syuri. Watanabe vs. Shirakawa was fun and had some particularly memorable strikes too.

Unrelated, but I had a quick look at the oldest shows available and what the gently caress?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

I just finished watching the Stardom Summer Encounter Champions show and it was really really good but I don't follow Stardom closely so I was wondering what's up with Koguma and Hazuki being a tag team. Did they leave Stars? And are they supposed to be heels now? They were doing a lot of heel type stuff in their match. Also what does FWC stand for?

And just wow holy poo poo at the entire upper half of that card. The whole show was great but the last half was just unreal

Yeah, the upper card was great. Hell of a botch in the tag title match but it was still a banger.

I'm slowly working my way through the FSGP and generally enjoying the matches. I wish they had a hard cam on the non-TV/PPV shows but I'm getting used to it not being there.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Speaking of Hazuki, she's running away with her block so far. Not who I would have picked with my limited knowledge of Stardom and I assume she'll collapse in the back half, but at the rate she's going it's going to be hard for anyone to catch her.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Risa Sera vs. Mai Sakurai on the 17th show ending with a double count-out because Risa wouldn't stop her giant swing on the floor was a very dumb and amusing finish.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

This 5*GP has been an absolute joy to watch and my Stardom World sub has been totally worth the money

100% agreed! I just finished the finals and it was great al around despite having the winner spoiled when I was looking for information about tie breaks.

Overall I may have enjoyed the FSGP more than the G1 this year. The highs weren't quite as high, but there was no Bad Luck Fale or Chase Owens in the field so the lows weren't nearly as low either.

Sounds like there may be some more English commentary shows on the horizon which I'm looking forward to.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Crapple! posted:

So far I've only watched up to and including Mayu vs SLK and that match absolutely ripped. Everything so far has been really good. The only match I didn't really like a ton was Ami vs Saya k but that's probably more a me thing than the match actually not being good. Even Mina had a good match and I'm usually not a fan

Mina has a couple really good ones down the stretch, notably with Saya K and Natsupoi.

The first two nights and the final were obvious standout shows, but the Korakuen show from September 23rd was really great too.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is there anything else I should make sure to go back and watch? I'm considering watching the 5*GP 2021 but I'm not it will hold my interest since I already know who won

Some of the big shows from early 2022 and 2021 (and possibly before then) have English commentary which helped me get up to speed on a lot of the less obvious aspects of rivalries and history. Still working on those but they've been great so far.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is this on Stardom World? If so how do I enable English commentary? I don't see that option anywhere

The English commentary versions are listed as separate events. I forget how I even found them, I think I just browsed through everything and they showed up.

E.g.,
https://www.stardom-world.com/set/3633?fcid=25

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

yea ok posted:

mina shirakawa got all of her teeth kicked out of her face and then did a promo backstage w/ no teeth and bloody hosed up jaw saying if you cant rise abvove this hell you're not a pro wrestler. anyways. i hope shes okay lol

I guess this is from a PPV that won't be up on World for a bit, but here's video of the injury. Oof.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

The Stardom tag tournament has been really awesome so far. My only complaint is that they're really overusing time limit draws

Also I'm pretty sure Rossy had to re-book some stuff after Mina got hurt. Regardless, I've been super happy watching these shows

Also, Mafia Bella might be the coolest tag team ever

I've been digging it too, and as noted in the MotY thread I'd be handing out a few HMs per show if I was more motivated. I don't mind the frequent draws since that's a plausible result in a tag match with a 15-minute time limit. It is interesting to predict how matches will go considering there are a few teams of top talents. Wish the regular shows had a hard cam because it's tough to capture four wrestlers with just the roving floor cam, but I'm getting used to it over time.

Mafia Bella are super cool and their completely silent or single-word promos are great. They remind me a bit of the Yano/Tana team in tag league a year or two ago.

BMI2000 (is that a fat joke?) hiding beside the entryway to attack their opponents was great.

Wa-Kawild may be a downgrade in team quality, but it's an upgrade in team name so I'll take it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I watched the show in chunks throughout the day and loved it overall.

Highlights included the bicycle spot, Saki being murdered, and meltear getting smushed which was gratifying after Tam bullied poor Waka on the previous show.

Giulia isn't my fave but she's fine as champion. I just hope they break from the recent pattern of FSGP winner wins title at Dream Queendom and loses it at next Dream Queendom.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I'm all caught up on my usual wrestles for a change so I watched the Wave NYD show this afternoon. The top three matches were all fun, and if nothing else check out the main event of Hikaru Shida vs. Risa Sera which devolves into a suitcase-heavy hardcore match partway through. Main event entrances start around 1h55.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Crapple! posted:

Stardom has a lot of great themes. Ever hear MIRAI's theme? hoooooo boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eplKCStZsfQ&ab_channel=AverageJoshiEnjoyer

I'm annoyed at how much I like Syuri's theme. Starlight Kid is also a fave.

IceAgeComing posted:

ShuPro awards came out today - unsurprisingly dominated by Stardom and Stardom-semi regular wrestlers with Saori Anou doing well as the only real exception. TJPW fell off hard from last year and I don't really know why; to be honest,

Some of these results are interesting - Saki seems really high on the MVP list, and it's funny how little correlation there is between MVPs and favourites. Good to see Waka is almost as popular as KAIRI, though!

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 26, 2023

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

:hai:

The Triangle Derby has been excellent. I just wish they would put the points rankings up at the end of each match like they did for the 5*GP and the Tag League. I have to keep track myself and I sometimes forget and I'm not sure who is in the lead now

I'm enjoying the Triangle Derby but not as much as the 5* or Tag League. I think it's just harder to put together really great trios matches than tag or singles.

I also only realized a month in that the teams in each block are facing those in the opposite block instead of those in their own block. I guess that's one way to mix up the round robin format but that means the final has to be a rematch which is kind of disappointing. Tiebreakers could also get complicated. Maybe they'll do semis with the top teams in each block?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Power Windows posted:

business is about to pick up (excluding Bea)

In mid-April you got the Draft where TCS is born

The Golden Week shows that year are a delight

poo poo I'll have to go further back once the Triangle Derby is over.

I checked out the Tam/Poi cage match from last June and I love the post-match promo:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Power Windows posted:

Even better, have Giant Saya mow down everyone in the Cinderella Tournament and Iidagan Tall Saya back down to earth

Sorry, it's Super Strong Stardom Machine's year to win the Cinderella tourney.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Does anyone know what's up with Xia Brookside? She hasn't been on recent Stardom shows and she isn't booked for any of the upcoming shows either

Looks like Club Venus had all their Triangle Derby matches already so I assume she's gone home. I hate how Stardom tournaments are booked at such inconsistent paces for each competitor, but I guess it makes sense in this case if she had other obligations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

I know that Japan has their own way of doing things but it would be really cool if the shows on Stardom World had short promos once in a while and we could at least get a kayfabe explanation

They used to have short subtitled backstage promos between most matches, then some matches, and now they barely ever happen. It's an unfortunate change as the promos were generally fun and did help me follow things.

Speaking of difficult to follow, as far as I can tell this is the situation with one night of Triangle Derby remaining.

Red Block

Neo Stardom Army 9 (facing Lollipop)
Queens Quest 9 (facing Classmates)
Cosmic Angels 8 (facing God's Eye)

Blue Block

God's Eye 10 (facing CA)
Prominence 8 (facing DDM)

Neo Stardom Army will almost certainly land on 11 points and I could see Classmates spoiling QQ. Not sure how a tiebreaker would be handled if not. I guess if God's Eye beat Cosmic Angels and either NSA or QQ advance the finals would be a rematch of a draw rather than a match which either team won which is preferable. Likely a rad match too.

Maybe if the Red block ends in a tie they'd do a three way final? I'm not sure.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 16, 2023

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Dear lord

AZM vs Hazuki is going to be incredible

For those who don't want to watch a video:

Utami Hayashishita vs Nanae Takahashi
Maika vs Momo Watanabe
Giulia vs Mai Sakurai
AZM vs Hazuki
Mariah May vs Rina
Syuri vs Tomoka Inaba
Momo Kohgo vs Saki Kashima
Saya Kamitani vs Mayu Iwatani
Lady C vs X
Starlight Kid vs Haruka Umesaki
Ami Sourei vs Yuna Mizumori
Tam Nakano vs Himeka
Natsuko Tora vs Ruaka
MIRAI vs Hanan
Saya Iida vs Miyu Amasaki
Natsupoi vs Mina Shirakawa
Koguma vs Thekla
Hina vs XX

I don't love the ten-minute time limit (and is there over-the-top-rope elimination too?) but there should be some fun sprints. I guess the rules make things less predictable too, which is alright.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Crapple! posted:

yeah this match jumped out at me too. That's going to rip. Also Momo vs Maika

Syuri vs. Inaba was the one that caught my eye.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

coconono posted:

dang. Oh well Rika Tatsumi and Raku will be there which is a reasonable replacement.

e: oh hey, WOW is a confirmed shitshow

https://twitter.com/ThundrdomeStyle/status/1627443616439205889

Oh hey we have the same birthday!

Also that was rough.

So by my calculations the Triangle Derby finals are Neo Stardom Army vs. Prominence and God's Eye unless they do a semi final round.

Alright, so there will be semi finals on the same night as the finals. And the semi finals are also cross block?

Red Triangle Winners 1 7 Upp vs. Blue Triangle Winners 2 Abarenbo GE

Blue Triangle Winners 1 Artist Of Stardom Champions Prominence vs. Red Triangle Winners 2 Cosmic Angels

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 20, 2023

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I just watched KAIRI/Mercedes. Pretty good match, the finish was OK, but I'm really not happy about Mercedes winning. I knew that she would eventually beat KAIRI and become the second champion but I don't like that she did it in her debut match after not wrestling for almost a year. It feels really obviously lovely and greedy, and I feel really bad for KAIRI because they spent all this time and effort creating this belt and giving it to her and then it turns out she was just a belt pillow for Mercedes.

They could have made a long term feud out of this and made KAIRI look super strong before Mercedes finally beat her but nope. Give us the money right away. Really short sighted.

And don't get me wrong. I don't hate Mercedes or anything. She's still really good and it's obvious that she's been training this whole time and hasn't lost a step but it just really bothers me that an outsider comes in after not wrestling for almost a year and immediately dethrones an inaugural champion who only got to hold the belt a few months and who only got 2 total defenses

I guess the silver lining is that maybe KAIRI goes back to Stardom full time and rejoins QQ and I can see her wrestle more often

I think it would have been better if Mercedes could have been available for the initial tourney as that undercuts KAIRI less but I don't hate them putting the belt on her now, especially if she's not necessarily going to be around in the long term.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Stall_19 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...nt=share_button

Listen to that reaction. Waka's first win is gonna get a massive reaction. The Waka/Nanae match at New Blood Premium is gonna be extremely heated, especially because it the deadline on Tam's "win or get kicked out of Cosmic Angels" ultimatum.

I want Waka to win the Cinderella tourney and beat Tam's face in with the scepter. The last Waka/Nanae match was really good and I'm looking forward to this one too! I almost thought she had that trios match...

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I think the Waka saga may be the wrestling storyline I'm most invested in these days. There were some good developments at the most recent Stardom in Showcase event and I look forward to seeing what happens later this month!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

I seriously can't recommend Stardom enough. It's the best promotion in the world right now. The in ring product is consistently amazing and they're telling some of the best stories in wrestling this year

Agreed. All Star Grand Queendom in April is looking stacked!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Stardom Yokohama Arena show looking stacked!

Himeka vs Maika – Himeka’s Retirement Match
Syuri vs Chihiro Hashimoto
Saya Kamitani (c) vs Mina Shirakawa – Wonder Of Stardom Title Match
Giulia (c) vs Tam Nakano – World Of Stardom Title Match

Spoiler for March 10th show:
7upp vs. Mirai & Ami (Goddess of Stardom Title match)

AZM vs. Mercedes Mone vs. Hazuki (?) - IWGP Women's Title Match (or maybe this will be at a New Japan show)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

What a high steaks match!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

So the semi finals of the Stardom Cinderella tournament are Waka vs. Mai and Mirai vs. Ami.

The latter should be a hell of a match but I'm not sure about any of the possible final matches.