Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Hey grapple folks, with so much motion in the women's wrestling world happening right now I've decided to re-start the classic Women's Wrestling thread to give people a hub to talk about news/rumors about the Mae Young Classic coming up, possible contestants, their home promotions, and the other going-ons in the Joshi and International scene. In addition to that, the new Netflix series GLOW has just popped up giving a look back on the infamous women's promotion from yesteryear starring Allison Brie and Awesome Kong as well as a handful of wrestling cameos from the formerly WWE employed.

The WWE and the "Women's Revolution" has been going...somewhere over the last year, with the very talented Four Horsewomen being split up and half made to look fools while the other half went on to trade titles back over and over for what felt like ten years. Standout Alexa Bliss has become a major player now because of her unique talent to make funny faces and look disgusted about everything happening. On the Smackdown brand they just featured the revolutionary Women's Money in the Bank match which they decided to do twice with nearly the same outcome for no apparent reason, while in NXT Asuka is still going strong as the most dominant athlete in the WWE today.

WWE's Mae Young Classic is coming up August 28th with tapings starting in mid July as a follow-up to the highly praised Cruiserweight Classic. This tournament will feature 32 women from all over the world in a bracket style elimination tournament hosted by Jim Ross and Lita.

Currently anounced names are as follows:
Lacey Evans (USA)
Sarah Logan (USA) aka "Crazy" Mary Dobson
Toni Storm (New Zeland) the current Progress Women's Champion
Princesa Sugehit (Mexico) the current Mexican National Women's Champion
Kavita Devi (India) trained by the Great Khali
Taynara Conti (Brazil) a black belt in Judo with a blue in BJJ
Abbey Laith (USA) aka Princess Kimber Lee
Tessa Blanchard (USA) the daughter of Tully Blanchard and part of the Rock's biopic on Paige
Jazzy Gabert (Germany) aka Alpha Female from STARDOM
Bianca BelAir (USA) aka that girl that whips people with her hair
Vanessa Borne (USA) aka Danielle Kamela

There's strong rumors of returning Divas in the tournament as well as more Joshi, Luchadora, and Indy stars to show up with standout names like Kaiori Hojo expected to join the tournament.

World Wonder Ring Stardom from Japan is currently the undisputed Queens of women's wrestling right now, featuring a colorful cast of talent from all over the world and (formerly) home to some of the greatest female wrestlers in the last two decades. Although notable for their talent, they're also caked in controversy at times, in combination with their top stars Hojo and Io Shirai being raided by Big Hunter's NXT program. Notable wrestlers and alumni from STARDOM include Io Shirai and Meiko Satomora, some of the best wrestlers in the world today, Future NXT standout Kairi Hojo known around the world as having the most beautiful elbow drop in the business, ACT Yasukawa the retired charismatic rum-drinking bondage pirate most recently notable for getting the poo poo beaten out of her by an angry YOSHIKO, The American bred but Japanese made Kris Wolf who is a literal wolf with 10 thousand more times energy than any normal animal, and Tessa Blancard. STARDOM is on their way to building up their new generation after many of the stars have moved on to NXT or the MYC lead by Mayu who formerly appeared in Lucha Underground.

As the banner says, you can sign up for Stardom World, their exclusive YouTube streaming service and catch up on some of the names coming into the WWE soon as well as enjoy Kris Wolf threatening to eat teenage girls.

GLOW (Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling) is an infamous promotion from the mid-late 80's featuring an extremely bright and colorful cast of characters attempting to take advantage of the wrestling boom at the time. The wrestling and acting weren't particularly great, but it was notable none the less for having a semi mainstream reach at the time. Netflix has created an original show which tells the story of the promotion lead by actress Allison Brie which follows a fictional cast of GLOW hopefuls and the rise of the promotion in the US. Catch it on Netflix now, and while you're there, watch the documentary of the real promotion called GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling.

Post your favorite women's matches ITT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P18LPQZFi7I

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Gonna steer the discussion towards the Mae Young Classic, and who you'd like to see appearing in the tournament. There's 36 slots so tons of space.

Personally I'd like to see (In addition to Hojo) some combination of Meiko, DASH Chisako, Riho, Makoto and Hikaru Shida. Aja Kong would be a good name to throw in too because they have footage of her in the WWE already and Ross can really sell that she was so scary that Vince McMahon fired her on the spot.

As far as former Divas coming back into the tournament, I'd love to see Katie Lee or Eve Torres as legit competitors or Victoria/Molly Holly as the nostalgia pops. I'd like to see Jessica Havok get another shot too after her chances being ruined by some dumb poo poo she said on twitter when she was still young.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

coconono posted:

Stardom World isn't a youtube service. Its on the same streaming platform NJPW World and DDT uses. Good rear end OP tho.

some good links:
http://joshicity.com/beginners-guide-to-joshi-puroresu/ Because Joshi is the backbone of actual women's wrestling.
http://wwnlive.com/shine/ landing page for SHINE, which is a monthly women's show available Floslam.tv. Its where future NXT signees are most likely to wrestle against Impact Knockouts.
http://shimmerwrestling.blogspot.com/ The Grandmommy of US women's wrestling. Their DVD catalogue is DEEEEEP. From OGs like Cheerleader Melissa and Sara Del Ray to new school standouts like Evie and Xandra Bale. If you get the women's wres bug, this is where you'll spend money.
Ah poo poo, when I subscribed a while ago it was on YouTube, I'm out of date.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

Having watched the GLOW pilot again it's clear that Wrestlicious is its direct inheritor. Solo commentary is so bad
I'm not even sure if the dude that funded it was old enough to have seen GLOW, he was just a money mark who gave Jimmy Hart a lot of money.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

serious question, how does one have a tournament with western style wrestling? Because of all the showmanship involved I dont see how its a competition. Is it basically a fitness contest and the person who gets tired first loses and gets pinned?
Are you specifically talking about the Mae Young Classic? Because in the CWC, everyone worked a pretty good fusion of their own style and their opponents style, including Bryan Kindrick/Ibushi's "Lets do really stupid dangerous moves" style which lead to a burning hammer and Kota accidentally getting counted out because he forgot the WWE only has a 10 count and not a 20.

Gran Metallic was also loving outstanding and wrestled both the Lucha style and the "British Strong Style" matches and looked so good. If you're bringing in a bunch of indy women and japanese women they're probably going to do the light heavyweight style from the CWC with a lot of stiff moves and some flashy false finishes.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

yes the mae young classic from the OP. Im not at all a wrestling fan, but the idea of a tournament intrigues me.

I only know a little bit about japanese wrestling but what I have seen makes it look more about athleticism and less about acting. The gap between Olympic and "WWE" wrestling is huge but something somewhere in-between even if its heavily skewed towards WWE sounds fun to watch. Im not trying to start a real or fake argument. Just that letting some different styles come and mix things up sounds pretty cool
Your best bet is to watch either the Cruiserweight Classic or some of the recent classics from STARDOM. Look up Io Shirai vs Meiko Satomura or Io Shirai vs Kairi Hojo or Candice LaRae/Joey Ryan vs The Young Bucks

Hell, look up the Lucha Underground Gauntlet match with Pentagon Jr vs Io Shirai/Hojo/Mayu

[vide]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9yl1K6iwPQ[/video]

A lot of these girls are every bit as good as the guys are now.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

rovert posted:

Thursday will be six days since the last MYC talent announcement.

I know a lot of background information about the MYC. The screening process has been OTT and outside talent has been nth guessed WAY too much but I've still have faith in the tournament field. I am less idealistic than say a month ago. There's people who would be in my realistic 32 who ain't.
I know a couple Joshi who were contacted but either turned it down or couldn't make it too, which is disappointing. There's always room for surprises like the CWC with mediocre or unknowns putting out great matches but I don't think it's going to have the starpower that the CWC did.

It's almost a gimme at this point that one or two of the Chinese women in training will be first round knockouts too. I really wish Lin Bairon/Ray hadn't had so many health issues because she would have been an outstanding grab for the tournament, knowing English, Japanese, and Mandarin fluently

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

rovert posted:

I genuinely don't anything Asian participant wise besides Hojo. Just expect Shayna Baszler, Nicole Matthews, Deonna Purrazzo, Rachael "Evers" Ellering, Candice LeRae, Mia Yim and Kay Lee Rey.
The people I know just work with lesser indies in Japan, but Asuka's trainee might be a lock too. I'm not expecting huge names out of Japan, but Alpha Female and Hojo are already a pretty good foundation. It's a shame that Io can't make the tournament due to injuries but she's definitely going to be a huge deal if she can make it to NXT with or without the tournament.

I would mention Syuri but I think she's got a better chance of being a UFC champion than a WWE champion right now, girl's a beast.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

As for the results of the MYC, I've talked about it before, but I would say the two names I could see winning (or rather, should win) are Toni Storm or Kairi Hojo. Maybe Candice LaRae, but I don't know about that too much.

I fully expect it to be a TJP like person though.
tbf Perkins probably only won because Zack Sabre and Ibushi wouldn't sign contracts

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ghidzilla posted:

Third, anyone else sad that LuFisto has yet to be seen in a major promotion as yet?
She was briefly mentioned iirc in an Art of Wrestling podcast and having a rough time

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

is there going to be a separate Mae Young Classic thread like there was for the CWC or will the Mae Young Classic not have as many aired show
Yeah for sure, this is the overflow but there's going to be GDT like usual. There's only one show less for the MYC than there was for the CWC

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Quackenbush tried to do the Joshimania tour a couple years too early. You never realize how tiny these girls are until you stand next to them, I took pictures with Asuka and I'm over a foot taller than she is. Promotions like Ice Ribbon are a lot more about fan interaction so you'll tower like Godzilla.

Glad you had fun! You saw a weird transition period in STARDOM where Mayu was thrusted into their main star position and most of their gaijin like Kris Wolf are back across seas at the moment.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm sure there's a lot of scoops and stuff regarding who's in the MYC but the reveal is literally a couple hours away at this point so I'd rather just watch it than read who happens to be in the Florida area

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

It's on Facebook tho

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm still waiting on SHIMMER DVDs to be released of a show I went to 7 years ago

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Cavauro posted:

just want to get out ahead of the pack in declaring tsukushi completely innocent. she was holding a butter knife when kagetsu grabbed her arm and pulled it close and kept on yelling, "why are you trying to stab me so bad. stop doing those stabbing me motions" extremely loud. it was supposed to just be a joke at first but then when a bunch of people took it seriously she was too embarrassed to set the record straight so here we are
For clarity, Meltzer reported that Tsukushi Fujimoto (ICE Ribbon) had attempted to stab Kagetsu (STARDOM) in a match inside a resturaunt and that Fujimoto had been arrested. Fujimoto was pulled from a couple of shows for "Health reasons" in the next couple days which leads people to believe the story could be true, but Fujimoto has been tweeting since she was "arrested"

DarkstarIV posted:

Oh boy. Asuka was seen as a massive rear end in a top hat in Japan while she was still active there. Good, yes. rear end in a top hat? Definitely. She had a reputation for stiffing/hurting people she didn't like (intentionally). She also burned several bridges while she was there, the most notable being with the Shirai Sisters (Io Shirai and Mio Shirai).

Long story short, she burned bridges with her Joshi wrestling manifesto, REALLY pissing off both Io and Mio. Asuka has apparently since made amends with Io Shirai, but I haven't heard much about Mio Shirai. Then again from what I understand about Mio, its really easy to get her to dislike you, considering she hated her sister at one point as well.

Basically, Mio Shirai basically cut ties for some time with her sister over the Mexico drug smuggling incident that Io had. It doesn't help that at the time (before she was arrested, I think), Io Shirai had publicly stated that she only had three real loves in the world: Cats, wrestling, and weed. She's since apologized for the drama, and calmed down significantly (also she made amends with Mio, working in her retirement match as well). I think the latest bit of drama involving Io Shirai now (if you even want to call it that), was STARDOM being partially blindsided by her announcing that she had a neck injury. No one knows how severe it is, but its bad enough that its forcing her to re-evaluate her career direction.

I think the only thing we've heard on that front though is that she does want to finish up with STARDOM officially before heading over to WWE though (after her neck injury is taken care of). Then again, one of the factors in her actually signing with the WWE was that Bull Nakano told her to do it. Basically the WWE is the best way to make a name for yourself in the western world, at least for female wrestlers. It also helps that Asuka has been treated extremely well so far, and it's looking like Kairi will be as well. Probably because Triple H is a giant Japanese wrestling fan.

That was way more than I meant to write about the joshi scene and its current state/past, but whatever. If people are interested in where its possibly going, let me know, and I'll write about what I think the future will be.
Mio and Asuka were friends long after the manifesto, and they were friends when Io was arrested and they both kind of shunned her. Mio and Asuka have never really had issues as far as I know, Mio had just gone in a different direction and started working more comedy matches with DDT/UNION, Ice Ribbon and Oz Academy which weren't promotions that Asuka typically worked for so they just naturally grew apart because Asuka was making her home in WAVE and helping run Tajiri's SMASH/New Wrestling Classic promotions until they folded and she went to the WWE.

It's true that Asuka almost blackballed herself though, she was very outspoken about hating the "Joshi" style (IE: Models, flippy-type wrestling, and children joining promotions) and she was notorious for being stiff in the ring which upset a lot of people. She found footing in WAVE where there were a lot more wrestlers her style, and she was friends with Shida, Ayumi Kurihara, and Syuri who had similar stuff, kick-boxing/MMA inspired wrestling styles

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 23, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Havok should have been a big deal in NXT if lovely people didn't stalk her tweets from when she was 17 and saying "nigga" to her black friend.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ghidzilla posted:

Pardon me if it's been posted and I'm dense....but I'd be interested in reading this Asuka manifesto that y'all are talking about.
I've tried looking for it but since she named her softcore bikini DVD the same thing as a joke, it's really hard to find the actual paper she wrote but I found some posts that summarized it on Reddit.

• Expand joshi wrestling to include other styles
  • Eliminate obviously fake moves
  • Conduct a review of the industry as a whole and get rid of wrestlers there that clearly shouldn't
  • Deal with the negative toxic enivornment of the scene and promote positivity and mutual respect
  • Encourage those who couldn't develop their persona or style to try other industries rather than flounder in uncertainty

She was still essentially a rookie at the time known for having a big mouth and a stiff style so the combination of those two + her trash-talking the women's wrestling in Japan lead to her basically black-balling herself from a lot of companies. Ironically it's because of this she became infamous and buzz started stirring up which is when most people started to pay attention to her. Although she was very serious about the Manifesto she also showed a lot of respect to her elders in the business, especially the men which is what caused her to explode like it did in popularity rather than seeing herself become a Davey Richards or Low-Ki type. She's always loved interacting with her fans and the real life girl is just a giant nerd who's obsessed with video games and American culture.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIy7cZTazPQ

The part where she's running and just says "no!" like a child being told to go to bed. :allears:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The guy who runs the STARDOM English stuff is an infamous troll and feeds things to Meltzer so I'd take any of that with the tiniest grain of salt. Io could still be WWE bound but they're trying to do damage control

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

She's going to be taken very well care of at least until Stephanie can get a win of Rhonda Rousey, because you KNOW that's why she's here I. The first place.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I remember a lot of confusion when Sasha got signed that Martinez might have gotten signed because her name was also Mercedes. Good to see her in now

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Kay Lee Ray looks like 12 years older in HD jesus

Jerusalem posted:

Lots of Shimmer footage on this show, do they have a good working relationship with WWE?
The better question is do you think that Prazak has finally gotten enough money to print DVDs for the last 3 years worth of events off this

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Kay Lee Ray looks like 12 years older in HD jesus
The better question is do you think that Prazak has finally gotten enough money to print DVDs for the last 3 years worth of events off this
I'm starting to think that the reason she looks so old is BECAUSE I'm watching SHIMMER DVDs that come out 5 years after the show

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I feel pretty bad when people have those really emotional video packages about doing it for someone in their life when you know they're probably not making it out of the first round

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I legit forgot Serena Deeb was back... and she's got her hair back!
She put on one of my favorite Asuka matches in Tajiri's promotion, too! Kana/Shirai Sisters vs Makoto, Syuri, and Deeb.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

One thing I keep forgetting is that the MYC is gonna bring in a whole bunch of fresh match-ups for Asuka if she's sticking around.
Although Asuka has been outstanding in the role she's had in NXT, it was only really made possible by her only having two or three legitimate matchups in the last calendar year. The level of some of these women come in would be way more than enough to give great NXT matches and girls that wouldn't have to have months of build-up against the nobodies to look like a threat to Asuka.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Because of women like Lita being trendsetters, involved with many many bra and panties matches. :thunk:

I guess it's hard to mention women like Aja Kong or Manami Toyota if they hadn't been big in the WWE.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I wish someone could do one with indie names because I KNOW there's a couple people on their I would recognize but not with their new names. Off the top of my head Kimber Lee and Alpha Female (Although I know their NXT names)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Mia and LaRae are both sweethearts that I hope get NXT contracts out of this. They've both worked so hard to get to this point and I hope at worst their booking fees increase tenfold for appearing in the tournament. I've met Mia personally and only heard nice things about Candice, if anyone deserve that WWE money it's them. I think the only people I've met that rivals them in friendliness would be Drake Younger, Chris Hero, and Ophidian.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yeah to be clear I meant worldwide.
It's not even as good as 2014-2016 STARDOM.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Okay, since I'm obviously not expressing myself very clearly, has there ever been a better worldwide climate for women's wrestling at every level, from the mainstream of WWE to the indies? I'm not saying WWE is putting on the best women's wrestling ever, nor am I saying they are solely or even mostly responsible for the change in climate, but they are a part of it, and I don't think that's ever happened from "top to bottom" for women before. That's cool IMO.

Also this is reaffirming for me that I fukken love tournaments and I want more of them. Give me another CWC, another Dusty, another WWEUK tourney, All The Tourneys.
I feel like you're trying to phrase this in such a distinct way to get your answer.

Is this the most mainstream stand-alone tournament featuring women exclusively? Probably, there was never a Super-J cup or King of Trios type tournament to get a lot of recognition for women athletes. It's not the best wrestling, it's not the best women's wrestling tournament, and it's not the best event featuring women from different nationalities, it's just the most mainstream.

AJW Dreamslam is the best Women's Wrestling card to date

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 29, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Is it too late for 205 Live to be treated like the UK division and just let most of them gently caress off and do their own thing until needed

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

With the Mandy Rose/Io gif, was Mandy supposed to jump higher? I'm trying to figure out what they were trying to do there.
she also fell sideways to a stationary target

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Other than Asuka's reign in NXT women's championship reigns have been totally irrelevant in the WWE and mostly just a prop traded back and forth.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

It's not Asuka's fault she didn't have competition but at least they made it work. CM Punk had the WWE title for over a year and he played second fiddle to everything else going on until eventually losing it to set up for a match between Rock/Cena. I can't name many noteworthy things CM Punk did in his one year title reign.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

who loving cares

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

What's so bad about the shirt?
It's Charolette's shirt with Sasha's name taped over the back. So scandalous. Oh my god

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

RIP Wahoo, died like Bayley's heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Honestly even though Full Sail is the worst place in the world for wrestling they should probably stick Paige in NXT for a while to work the ring rust off and put her in a place they can edit out the chants. After she's there for a while she'll probably be fine on the main roster as long as they don't debut her in a smarky town or after WM.