Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Speaking of great women's matches, check out Jumping Bomb Angels vs Crush Gals. It's worth it just to see the crowd losing their loving minds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VCz4E-01q8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vuPyfyZcjs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm curious how people feel about spoilers for this tournament - do you want specifics/results put under spoiler tags while we're waiting for the episodes to air at the end of August, or are you happy for people to just discuss results openly? If the former, do people also want Netflix style spoiler rules where there is a small grace period for specifics on anything past episode one to be spoiler tagged?

The really important match is the final of course, which will be live and thus doesn't have this issue, but there is probably a lot of cool stuff that could happen in the taped segments leading up to that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah this would just be for specifics/results etc, people would be free to post in generalities without tags.

Just given the length of time between taping and airing I thought I'd test the waters as to how people feel regarding spoilers, since I imagine most details of the tapings are going to be out and about pretty quickly online.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think it is important to note that her message is also NOBODY CAN BEAT ASUKA!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Benne posted:

Asuka screaming NOBODY CAN BEAT ME IT'S MINE in broken English while clutching her belt like the Precious is one of the best promos in the entire company.

That night she hosed up the Number One Contender's match and was just angrily snapping in Japanese at William Regal as he was chasing her down the corridor was so great, and she didn't need any English to get her point across. Same deal with that match she had against Ember Moon where she started to feel threatened so blatantly cheated, then grabbed her belt all happy and mocked Ember for losing.

Even stuff like that time they filmed her stepping out of her car and happily greeting the fans, then going blank-faces and rolling her eyes the moment she was out of their eyeline. Asuka is the best :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahahaha yessss! Asuka rules

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mae Young Bracketology is on the Network right now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lots of Shimmer footage on this show, do they have a good working relationship with WWE?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kairi Sane :woop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I legit forgot Serena Deeb was back... and she's got her hair back!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RealFoxy posted:

She put on one of my favorite Asuka matches in Tajiri's promotion, too! Kana/Shirai Sisters vs Makoto, Syuri, and Deeb.

One thing I keep forgetting is that the MYC is gonna bring in a whole bunch of fresh match-ups for Asuka if she's sticking around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

There's a lot of Australians in this.

There's a direct portal located somewhere in the Australian Outback that exits out into Lance Storm's training school.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Welp RIP Tessa Blanchard I guess.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks everybody for using spoiler tags so far.

I'd like posting to be under modified Netflix rules please: Wait at least one day before posting untagged spoilers for episode 1, 2 days for episode 2, 3 for episode 3, 4 for episode 4 etc. So by Friday the first 4 episodes can be posted about without spoiler tags. Next week we'll do the same thing for the next 4 episodes.

I still think it is really dumb that they are doing this via episode dumps instead of just an episode a week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Trying to catch up on the first four episodes now that I finally have a spare minute to do so, random thoughts:

Episode 1
- Good choice for the first match, would have been happy with either Princess Sugehit or Kay Lee Ray going over and it sucks that one had to drop out. I have a feeling that'll be a recurring theme, would have been cool if this had been a round robin tournament but that probably would have been too much of a time/money investment for WWE.
- It's still weird to me seeing Serena Deeb with hair, even if she was bald for such a tiny proportion of her career. Vanessa Borne has cool entrance music and reminds me vaguely of Layla, but nothing else about her really stood out.
- Shayna Baszler vs Zeda was cool, partly because it was so short. The crowd seemed fully into everything both did and Shayna seems like a natural heel.
- I wish Jazzy Gabert came to the ring holding a giant energizer battery over her shoulders. Loved the crowd at the start but this match went too long, it should have been a squash. Surprised that Abbey Laith won, she mostly just got her rear end kicked and only seemed to have a couple of (neat) tricks in her repertoire, like the splits escape/dodge. Dug Jazzy raising her arm at the end though.

JR and Lita were fine if unremarkable on commentary, I think Shayna vs Zeda should have closed the show though.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 31, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Episode 2
- Mercedes Martinez is a son of bitch, it owns. Xia Li isn't bad for this being her first wrestling match but I'm glad that Martinez almost completely dominated her. I really dig Martinez after this match but I also don't want Princess Sugehit to lose their next match.
- Marti Belle vs Rachel Evers sure was a professional wrestling match, eh? That's about the highest praise I could give it. Just dreadfully boring and unimpressive.
- Rhea Ripley vs Miranda Salinas wasn't great either but much better than the previous. Didn't really grasp the story of the match though, which seemed to be Salinas saying,"Don't discount me because I'm tiny!" and then getting the poo poo kicked out of her and losing.
- Oh my God this pre-match package for Yim, please tell me she is winning. On the other hand, Sarah Logan seems to have a ton of charisma, can they both win? Yay Mia won! But boo Sarah lost. This was the best match of the night and exactly the right one to close it, it saved an otherwise lackluster episode whose only saving grace up to this point was Mercedes Martinez.
- Fuccccck Mia Yim vs Shayna Baszler? I don't want either one to lose!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Episode 3
- Ayesha Raymond has something on her nose and Toni Storm has a wonderful little hat. No offense to Ayesha but Toni Storm instantly brings energy to the ring, even without the pretty cool theme music she's got.
Unfortunately the match basically falls off a cliff after that and neither woman really did herself any favors.
- Dakota Kai vs Kavita Devi is kinda boring anHOLY poo poo DAKOTA JUST MURDERED THAT INDIAN LADY :stare:
- Sage Beckett is a Shaman and that is cool as gently caress as a wrestling gimmick. Bianca Belair looks like she is a member of the US Women's Gymnast Team. Also they seemed to both think they were supposed to be the hoss of the match, and Bianca physically dominating Sage felt really weird.
- Holy crap Piper Niven is loving awesome, I feel kinda bad for Santana Garrett who by comparison is a generic ,"I try hard and want to win!" character. This match saved what had been a very mediocre episode, and Piper Niven is cool as poo poo. Watching the crowd on the replay of the finish was great, they were so into her winning it.

I hope she is happy and fulfilled and rich and gets to have a puppy if she wants one :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's Friday so the entire first week is now cleared for untagged spoiler discussion. When the next 4 episodes drop on Monday we'll do the same thing, with spoilers required for Episode 5 through Monday, episode 6 through Tuesday, episode 7 through Wednesday, and episode 8 through Thursday. Thanks! :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Episode 4
- Renee Michelle made it all this way and welp her first opponent is Candice LeRae so goodbye, Renee! Not a great match, and lacked any sense of flow. I expected more from LeRae though she did look the better of the two in-ring.
- Lacey Evans feels like an odd choice for the tournament since she's already made several rather prominent appearances in NXT. Taynara Conti I know nothing about but "I will use all my experience from my 15 years of fighting to destroy every person that thinks she can defeat me" is a bomb-rear end line and now I'm rooting for her. So of course she loses, in a match that sadly didn't particularly deliver.
- Reina Gonzalez wears a hat and an eye-patch. That was about the most interesting thing about her match with Nicole Savoy.
- Tessa Blanchard really drew the short straw going up against Kairi Sane, even the video package and pre-match commentary makes it clear that Kairi is the "star" of this pairing. Kairi just instantly has presence, and her outfit/music and obvious happiness to be there is absolutely endearing. The match absolutely saves the show which was pretty disappointing otherwise, it's the best match of the first four episodes and the end sequence of her pointing to the elbow, the crowd going nuts just at the idea, her hitting it and getting the pin was just great. It's no surprise, but Kairi is the standout performer of the entire tournament so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sorry Serena, but I'm all onboard the Piper Niven train.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

rovert posted:

Wrestlers/wrestling people seemed WAY more impressed with Serena than fans online have been. Was handicapped by being a rusty and emotional but she did stuff maybe fans don't really pick up like her strikes and how she took the turnbuckle.

No problem with Serena, I think it's cool she's got her poo poo together and made it back to WWE, but Piper Niven just rules a whole bunch v:shobon:v

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

So Hana Kimura has a new submission maneuver and its pretty brutal.

So that motorcycle scene from the first episode of Season 3 of Narcos WASN'T the most terrifying thing I've seen all week! :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Episode 5:
- The double kick spot in Rachel Evers vs Abbey Laith was so cool. Good energy in the match and no offense to Evers but Abbey was probably the right pick to move on.
- Serena Deeb vs Piper Niven is a match I don't really want either to lose, but I want Piper Niven to win more. The neckbreaker spot on Piper looked great and I love how Piper kept using her bulk to overpower Serena. The missed splash was cool but it didn't make sense that Piper splats and then is basically straight up hitting her finisher to get the win. Glad Piper won though, she's cool.
- I don't know who to choose between Princesa Sugehit and Mercedes Martinez. Good match but the ending was a little flat, and it was only after Mercedes won that I realized I really wanted Sugehit to.
- "There's nothing better than me. I am the best :effort:" says Bianca Belair, followed immediately by Kairi Sane just springing happily onto the screen with immediate charisma and personality. Kairi catching the kiss is loving incredible :vince: - Belair going heel is a great decision and that hair whip loving owns, I love how heated the crowd gets when she does it. This was a great choice as the main event and Bianca did a lot to look great in a losing effort. Kairi is just on another level though.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 5, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Episode 6:
- Toni Storm's hat is just the loving best. I still can't put my finger on what it is about Lacey Evans that just doesn't work for me, it feels like a character that should work on paper but just doesn't. I've seen moves like Storm's Strong Zero finisher before and never really felt they looked all that great but this particular one looked really good, don't know if it was in the way she executed it or how Evans took it but I really brought it as a finisher.
- I wish Mia Yim didn't have to face Shayna Baszler so early, because I have to believe Baszler is the most likely to win but Yim immediately struck a chord with me and it sucks she has to drop out so early. Baszler plays a good heel though, her line about "All I have to do to beat her is to exist" was pretty drat good. Her manhandling Mia and just tossing her about with gutwrench slams was cool as hell. The finish owned too with the block on the 450 splash being wrapped up into the submission. Cool match, both of them are cool and I hope Mia Yim is sticking around.
- The two sets of "Four Horsewomen" (sans Sasha) facing off might have been the obvious and predictable thing, but it still ruled.
- Holy gently caress Rhea Ripley dropping Dakota Kai's face onto the ring apron :gonk: - Dakota made up for it by murdering her with that double footstomp at the end. Rhea RIPley
- Nicole Savoy geting to be the hoss and just toss Candice LeRae about is cool. Candice just trying to grapple her while Savoy powered through her was a nice story too. Match lacked energy after the Ripley/Kai and Yim/Baszler matches though, Yim/Baszler should have been the final match on this card.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Episode 7:
- Abbey Laith vs Mercedes Martinez wasn't particularly great, neither woman really impressed and the crowd didn't seem to particularly care either. Not a great outing from either of them, at least Martinez will get another opportunity to impress
- Oh Candice LeRae has to face Shayna Baszler? RIP Candice. Except holy gently caress she has done an amazing job of making me think she might be able to beat her - Shayna's midair counter into the submission hold just like she did to Mia Yim was great, and refusing to break the hold and cementing her status as a heel is excellent. Real shame LeRae is out but she looked great and made Baszler look like an even bigger threat as a result. Amazing contrast to the first episode, it was all action and excitement.
- Toni Storm bridging out of the pin by Piper Niven was a real cool moment and the double bridge/handshake spot was :3: as gently caress. It was a good match but I'm sad Piper is out, she is so cool and I wanted to see her make it further.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Episode 7 Main Event:
- Dakota Kai as the hoss of the match is loving hilarious, especially since Kairi is beating the poo poo out of her anyway. Dakota looks like somebody who could do really well in WWE and I have to assume they're going to sign her, but there was no doubt in my mind that Kairi was going to win this.

Episode 8
- Semi-Final #1 Martinez' kicks kinda let the side down but whenever Baszler is on offense the match picks up. That said when they break down into exchanging elbows on their knees neither one of them look particularly great. In only a couple of matches they've done a great job of educating the viewer that when Baszler locks in her submission the match is OVER, and it always looks great.
- I know her in-ring career is over but seeing Sara Del Rey there, I wish she could have been in this tournament.
- Semi-Final #2 I found this match kinda disappointing for the bulk of it, though Storm's submission hold on Kairi and the way she kept cinching it in really fired things up nicely, and her double leg drop looked pretty brutal. Kairi's Elbow Drop as always looks fantastic, but that was probably her weakest match of the tournament so far. Nothing against Toni Storm, but she's real young and has plenty of room for improvement
- Post match thoughts It's about the most obvious result but as has been often said, just because it's predictable doesn't make it bad. I'm sure most people who predicted this result did so because it makes the most sense and they're the two best people in the tournament. It's also a great classic face/heel match-up. Kairi extending her hand and Baszler ignoring it to crowd her and try to intimidate her, and then Kairi squaring up and standing up for herself... :discourse:

This tournament has largely been straight-forward and obvious and as a result it's really worked well, who'da thunk it!?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just read up on her, good lord the hits just keep on coming for the poor lady. :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

https://twitter.com/JoshiPuro/status/905630636802809858

Those are not your streamers Hiromi. Don't steal them! :mad:

This is so loving great :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I wish Becky was the Champion, she's really good.

Asuka using the Disarmer and smirking over at her during the last Takeover is hopefully the sign of something to come.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

rovert posted:

Do we still need spoiler tags?

Nah, people have had enough time to watch the episodes now.

I'm surprised to hear some people have been against Shayna making it to the finals, because to me she was the best heel by far and having the final be between the best heel in the tournament and the best face in the tournament is basic, predictable but good stuff.

I hope Kairi wins!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Mia Yim is a name I've heard a lot but never saw before this tournament, and she immediately stuck out to me as being somebody I'd like to see more of.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KAIRI WON! YAY!

The binge format didn't really work for me but the tournament was cool, the best heel and best face made it to the final, and the face won. Hooray :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oatgan posted:

I'm a wrestling expert

Is it real? I've started to hear some unsettling things from some of the bigger kids recently... :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thank goodness for that. I knew all that money I spent on merchandise to aid Hulk Hogan's recovery from Earthquake's vile assault wasn't in vain :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus Christ :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Go RV! posted:

Mayu vs Toni is up on Stardom World now.

Even though I knew it was coming, I still actually screamed when her arm buckled, it looked REAL nasty.

:nms: https://i.imgur.com/2ZeN0Oy.gifv

Hang on.... an arm isn't supposed to do that! AN ARM ISN'T SUPPOSED TO DO THAT AT ALL!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just kinda assumed it was a given that Mia Yim would be signed, she immediately stood out to me as somebody worth having on the roster.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Two Beans posted:

Just get Jim Ross to re-explain to Vince that there's these websites that....

Vince: How the hell can people find Asian people attractive?
JR shows Vince a picture of Kota Ibushi
Vince: Mother of God.....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Please use his correct name: Swole Vampire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I always forget Ashley Massaro wasn't just around for a time but actually pushed in WWE.