Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I'm actually going to one of Stardom's Shinkiba 1st Ring shows on Sunday! It will be my first live wrestling experience on any continent let alone the first time I'll see joshipuro. Is there anyone I should look out for? I imagine these aren't important like the Korakuen Hall matches or any of their tours, but I'm still really excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

I went to the Stardom Shining Stars 2017 in Shin-Kiba and for my first live wrestling experience, it was a blast. There's a lot of things I took away from it but it really does pay to see the whole theatrical experience in its proper setting. It wasn't a five star card, but sometimes all it takes is a fun time and I definitely want to go back. Some key thoughts:

- I kinda expected a lot of kids wrestling but I didn't expect as much dancing as I saw. The kids wrestling thing is okay but I feel too old watching it. The dancing confused me but this is Japan after all!

- 1st Ring is a small venue, and unfortunately not all the seats were sold, but it was intimate like a rock club show and I think it was all the better for it. I was able to get high-fives from a couple of the wrestlers and that made it all the more awesome. Also, if you subscribe to Stardom World and see a big doofy foreigner selling the moves with exaggerated facial expressions and occasionally taking photos, that's me. My wife accidentally got me a great seat. I was one of four foreigners at the show and two of them were wrestling the card. So I apologize for my big dumb face. XD

- I love the whole thing Hana Kimura is doing. She has an ice blue single contact lens going on now.

- Mayu Iwatani is way more skinny in person than her photographs let on! Also, the finish to the main event was kind of sudden after Yoko Bito roundhoused Hiromi Mimura, and even the crowd was kind of surprised.

I kinda feel bad for taking photos but the impulse was strong. Most of the photos look way better in live picture mode, so I'll just leave one shot here of Bito and Konami trapping Mimura in the corner! Go support your local promotion!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

coconono posted:

Kris Wolf vs Shanna for the High Speed Title next korakuen hall STARDOM show. Could have some interesting implications down the road. That's all I know and all I can say right now.

Yeah, Shanna cut a promo setting that up at the 1st Ring show after the tag match she had with Gabby Ortiz against Hana Kimura and Kagetsu. Also, Stardom is starting to promote their "New Era" on Twitter so that's probably part of it.

Also Shanna and Gabby gave me a high five after the show when I told them it was my first live wrestling experience.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Baron Corbyn posted:

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/885026072017985536

It looks like Stardom might start sticking free matches up on YouTube. I'm not sure that this isn't a one off but this is a fairly nothing match to put up. Saying that Jungle Kyona is probably a good combination of entertaining gimmick and in ring ability to draw people in.

I'm in this video. (Left side of entrance row.) :aaa:

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

I think avoiding/spoiler tagging it is the best way to go. August 28th is quite a ways away and I'd rather see it as it's broadcast than knowing what will happen before they show it.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

http://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/125981

Interesting article from a business website with Asuka basically about her attitudes towards wrestling and business. The machine translation is good enough, but here's some takeaways:

- Apparently she was not well liked by older joshi wrestlers because of her style and attitude, and she took it as a challenge rather than anything else. She was considered a "heretic."

- The WWE apparently respected her more than she felt Japanese promotions did.

- She thinks since the WWE takes the "sports entertainment" approach, it's more fun to watch and Japanese fans are more critical (?!?).

- Her message is believe in yourself, be proud of your past but don't hang your hat on it, look towards the future, etc etc

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Asuka says she was pretty outspoken and critical of the way women's wrestling was run, which of course in a traditional Japanese way is indeed considered scandalous, or even as they imply, "heretical." But it seems like she didn't care about the repercussions.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Aphrodite posted:

Japanese music industry has the same "rules" for women too, doesn't it?

Maybe worse. Mineko Minegishi of AKB48 was pressured to shave her head in contrition and post a sobbing apology video for simply being seen with a boy while her AKB48 contract disallowed such contact. Later on she was fatshamed even though she wasn't that fat and made to do advertisements for the RIZAP boot camp weight loss company. I don't imagine joshi is too far off from that because the way the Japanese entertainment industry is so mafia-like and it probably extends though to joshipuro as well. Then again, Aja Kong, Manami Toyota, and Mayumi Ozaki are still doing matches but they're nowhere near anyone's top of the card.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Nah, I just live in Japan, my Japanese is actually pretty lousy. :D

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

I binged all four episodes of the MYC first round and my quick thoughts are thus (behind spoilers to be fair):

Lots of so-so matches, a couple of good ones, and even a couple bad ones, which I guess is only fair.

My favorite match was Mia Yim/Sarah Logan. They mention they've wrestled before and it shows, and it turned out really well. The opening match (Princesa Sugehit/Kay Lee Ray) was a good way to start the tourney.

They shouldn't have jobbed out Jazzy Gabert like that, she looked like she could have been a monster but she loses in the first round. The Dakota Kai/Kavita Devi match kinda made Devi look better but maybe the next round will be better for Dakota?

Kairi's debut was pretty good, but I feel like it could have gone longer? Doesn't matter, she's the best.

Also, I really don't like Shayna Baszler.

Looking forward to round 2.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

MrBling posted:

I will be happy if German Nia Jax is signed though. Other than Kairi she was the only one to really connect with the crowd.

Possibly good news on that front? Posted to YouTube yesterday, and it probably falls outside of spoiler realm because of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DB7Ji6qoSk

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Baron Corbyn posted:

She also turned 20 today which makes me feel incredibly old.

AZM is 14 and Ruaka is 13, too. And I don't even know the age of the two girls Ruaka faced at the Shin-Kiba show I went to.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Go RV! posted:

AZM is only 14? She's really goddamn good for being that insanely young, and she's getting to wrestle the actual stars. She's going to be incredible someday.

It's even more mind blowing when you realize soon she will be a four year veteran. She's got quite a career in front of her if she wants it.

Baron Corbyn posted:

yeah but kids being a lot younger than me doesn't make me feel as old as an adult being much younger than me if that makes any sense?

I didn't realise AZM was that young though. I would have guessed 16-17.

Ah, I gotcha.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Binged all four episodes again.

Like what we assumed, Round 2, the Quarterfinals, and the Semi-Finals were a step up from the first round. No real bad matches, some sloppy ones for sure, but nothing on the level of Belle/Evers. If there's anything I could say about it, it's that it was kinda predictable how it turned out. I really liked Dakota Kai/Rhea Ripley, which was probably my second favorite match of the tournament, and everything Piper Niven did was pretty fun to watch (double bridge!). Kairi had some really good matches too, particularly with Toni Storm, who in a better world would have been her finals opponent. My concern is that carrying Shayna Baszler to a good match may be a really tall order. Baszler is really boring to watch and doesn't have any charisma or presence, just an angry look. That and the set-up for the Horsewomen vs. Horsewomen feud is really dumb. Otherwise I've enjoyed the tournament, I'm just really wary of the finals.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Dias posted:

Kairi is probably poised to challenge Asuka for the title, so you could do a champion x champion match if she wins the MYC.

The problem with that is that Asuka has already vacated her title or at least the title will be vacant by the time the MYC winner is made, plus with all indication Asuka will be on Raw sometime in October. Kairi, on the other hand, will probably stick around in NXT for a while. If there's ever a Kairi/Asuka match, it's a long time from now.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Just watched the episode 8 rerun on the network. The second time around, the Kairi/Toni match is still so good. Now the finals are 15 minutes away!

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

YAY!! KAIRI!!

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Yeah, the MYC finals should have gone an hour and pre-empted 205 Live. haha

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

I just got a new job so I think I'm going to go to a hell of a lot more STARDOM shows from here on out...!

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

She and Akira Hokuto are the biggest reasons why I started watching joshipuro in the 90s. It’s a real end of an era.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

TheHock posted:

Courtney Rush got hurt during the tapings.

Man, Rosemary just can't catch a break this year.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

I'm thinking of going to another Stardom show in May, but I'm not sure if I should go to a second Shin-Kiba 1st Ring show (especially since it's not going to be as dreadfully hot in May as in July, plus Shin-Kiba is just about four miles away from where I live) or go to my first Korakuen Hall show ever. Thoughts?

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Aww, man, I'll be in Chiba for Golden Week. This won't be the show I'll be able to attend.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

As it turns out, I bought a ticket for the Stardom Gold Star 2018 Korakuen Hall show and I just happened to get a seat for the second row. And I will be watching this match live. I’m incredibly excited!

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Sure! I’m already in the videos from the 2 July 2017 show, so maybe you might even recognize me if you’ve seen those. :D

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

For perspective, Japan treats any kind of pain management drug stronger than over the counter Loxonin like a serious addiction risk and even if you’re in a bit of pain they won’t prescribe you anything stronger. They’re paranoid over drugs in general and there’s rampant misinformation about cannabis (I had to educate my wife about how weed is not hallucinogenic like LSD). So if you’re a celebrity caught with drugs, you’re basically humiliated in the media. Meth is bad news though and it’s better to leave a party where it’s at than be in the same room with it.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

DarkstarIV posted:

Japan is a very insular country when it comes to other cultures. While some stuff comes over like music, you won't see stuff like movies or tv shows make it over often.

I'm not sure about this, there are loads of American TV shows at Tsutaya and often American film is broadcast on television. They love Marvel and Harry Potter just as much as the rest of the world, and they love Disney maybe even more than America does. That said, your point stands about most non-American foreign culture.

About weed though, there's history tied to hemp but it wasn't until the American occupation that everything taima-related became forbidden. But Japanese paranoia about drugs is kind of across the board, and celebrities who are caught taking them are regularly shamed. Except Paul McCartney.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

achillesforever6 posted:

Huh I always thought it was Japan looking what the British Empire did to China with the Opium Wars and going "gently caress that poo poo"

It probably had as much to do with American companies wanting to destroy the industrial hemp sector moreso than reefer madness but yeah, Japanese didn't think too much about it until it got banned.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

My wife speculates that the police probably suspected her based on her behavior while being interviewed.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Deonna Purrazzo was originally on the Stardom Gold Star 2018 card but she's apparently not going to make it to Japan in time for the match, so I guess they're looking for a replacement.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Low Desert Punk posted:

boy the US really warped Japan's psyche during the Occupation didn't they

It actually goes way before that to when the US pried open Japan in 1853. Commodore Matthew Perry is actually a huge, important historical figure here whereas in America your instant response is “the guy from Friends?” But the occupation doubled down on it.

In Lady Wrasslin News I think the simple reason why Deonna Purrazzo won’t make it to next week’s show is that her paperwork hasn’t come in on time.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

DarkstarIV posted:

I'm most likely looking into it too much (I am like 95% sure of that), but I wouldn't rule out Io's last match being on Wednesday, or the start of her farewell tour. She'll probably announce she signed with WWE or something during the upcoming Japan tour if that's the case.

If so, it’s gonna be a great show for me to actually be at! I missed Kairi’s farewell, and it will be awesome to see Io at least once in the proper environment.

Apparently Nao Yamaguchi is also missing Wednesday’s show under the advice of her doctor, which makes two who will not be on the original card. I haven’t seen word yet who will replace them.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

I am at Korakuen Hall as I speak. I’ve seen one of the JAN shirts here, and it’s not so horrible in person. Looks like a home printed shirt from someone’s first day learning Illustrator, but I wouldn’t laugh at them for wearing it.

I got good seats too so there is a non-zero chance you might see me on the recording.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Momo Watanabe beat Io Shirai!

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

DarkstarIV posted:

This confuses and scares me.

By the way, the Drop Kick On My Devil collab was silly and awkward. There were some fun bits but for the most part, they were playing to a crowd of otaku and I don’t like anime so I kind of tuned out. Also it went on way too long. Mayu Iwatani slapping people around with a fake snake tail was cute though.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Whatever wrestling Hana needs to improve on, her character work is really good and she makes a deliciously evil heel that has far and away the most personality on the Stardom roster.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

That’s some high level crack those people are smoking. All I know is, watching Io/Momo live was one of the most awesome things I’ve experienced in quite some time and I’ll support Io wherever she goes.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Baron Corbyn posted:

I think I spotted you, Auritech, or at least someone who looked like a foreigner. Were you wearing a purple or blue T-shirt under an open shirt?

I was wearing a light gray shirt but there was a foreigner next to me (whom I didn't know) that did wear a blue shirt. Samurai TV was also the reason why I couldn't take any pictures during the show; they requested no photos except during that dumb Drop Kick On My Devil segment.

I also got pretty close to the action when Hana Kimura threw someone into the seats near me and repeatedly hit her with an umbrella. It was fun!

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Wait, in what universe was Tessa Blanchard one of the best women in the MYC? She was better than Marti Belle, sure, but there were ten women in that tournament whose name I would speak before hers would come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

This is the same attitude indie rock fans have when a band they champion actually gets signed to a major label. It’s petty and dumb. I wouldn’t blame Io for wanting to show her incredible talent to as wide an audience as possible even if it means going through the VKM meatgrinder. If one day she can find herself in the center of a 50-70k seat arena that’s a hell of a lot better than most of her detractors will ever achieve.