Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

TV Zombie posted:

Isn't the change in style once people enter the WWE supposed to be beneficial for the wrestler since they would be wrestling way more often on house shows, RAWs/SDLs and PPVs in that the WWE style would be less wear and tear on the body?

having folks do endless lifting and hip toss drills in the pc sure is beneficial to them!

Super No Vacancy posted:

she was an industry plant from the jump

thank you for acknowledging my two month long insane rant that i've spoken into power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

TV Zombie posted:

They have good funding behind them so why can't they make this a bit more accessible for international fans?

because this isn't trying to be more accessible for international fans.

these pia streams have existed since last year (yokohama, sendai, osaka edion 1) for this price. it's really trying to get people who normally would be going to the shows outside of covid to still pay money the would have for tickets and watch the shows. all that sonny (he's still there but there are some others in stardom doing the tech work these days with him) did was post the pia link for this on the english account when they didn't before.

it's both literally and figuratively doing the least possible for international expansion. "hey tweet out the pia link let the people outside of japan know about this". everyone's got their own personal value judgments to make with if shows are worth it or not, but 4400 yen is the most expensive japanese ippv i've seen since the start of the ustream era for a show that will exist as a vod only until the weekend. it's really not for international fans, it's just seeing if international fans will pay the price for something that's for your native fanbase.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

IceAgeComing posted:

I suspect like a lot of these big venues that Stardom and NOAH in particular are running are a case of venue deals allowing them to run places they normally wouldn't to look bigger but even then its still a big thing. First time a Joshi companyt has run Osaka Jo Hall since 1995.

That’s basically the deal. Budokan last year lost a ton of money with all the concerts and festivals not renting it so they dropped their price (a lot) so the corporate promotions are jumping on it.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
i think the thing that everyone is missing on their departure is the timing at the end of the month which screams contracts expiring and either br looking at cutting costs given the 300 million yen deficit stardom ran last year or kyona/sumire looking at the likely lay of the land for them whenever they could return and making the best decision for them.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I see a lot of those masks on sale at Toudokan for crazy prices so they could be doing the BUSHI thing.

Rossy just loves Lucha so much though, so he'd probably eat the loss like he used to for his self-promoted Lucha shows with a bunch of 50-year-olds he did before COVID.

I don’t know where SLK sells her stuff, but the QQ girls use the same store that Ultimo does and I saw a Momo entrance mask on their website for close to a grand. I don’t think anyone is getting all that back from the store, but nice little hustle to get a mask made and then after a match to make back probably double what it cost.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Her mother was a pro wrestler too, so she's second generation on both sides. Not sure how many pro wrestlers there are who can claim that

it's her and the iihashis

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Dragongate already has stardom with all of their roster being dragon kid fans

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

IceAgeComing posted:

Reportedly Stardom aren’t bringing them back which would be a massive shame: always think they add something. Faff to clean up though so I get why the promotions might not want the hassle

This is precisely why Dragongate stopped save retirements. The company has to throw away several giant bags of streamers each show and they’re the one responsible, not the venues, so it makes life a lot easier for them.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

IceAgeComing posted:

(Cyberagent should pay people enough so they don't need side jobs - they are a very rich company)

this (along with the massive amount of papering that happens with tentpole stardom shows that goes unreported because who Dave is close friends with, yes they did it again last month, no dave will never talk about 33% of a biggest house in company history being papered for the youtuber) is one of the things that i wonder about the industry in japan.

no one is really springing back to february 2020, which wasn't a great time for the industry. even njpw is doing solid but the three years of government enforced halfing of your biggest stream of revenue hurts everyone. cyberagent has lost AN INSANE amount of money on cyberfight (DDT has never made money for them), why not pay everyone so they aren't bartending on their off days? it's not going to be THAT drastic of a change when you're already losing millions of dollars a year.

ddt definitely is able to maintain their indie sheen years after they stopped being one, but it's kinda sad that your former ace had to work part-time at kenta kobashi's gym to eat instead of being a full-time wrestler.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Stall_19 posted:

https://twitter.com/Himanshu_Doi/status/1655822703390228481

A very idol way of thinking by Koda here. I would very much disagree and would like great talent to stick around long term rather than leaving. You never see anyone say this in a male promotion.

dragongate since 2020 has quite literally shoved off wrestlers in their 40s who don't draw to their audience in order to promote younger (cheaper) stars from their dojo. this exact thing happens in mens promotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

STING 64 posted:

i wonder whats going on with SUKEBAN...

waiting for new hats and screwing up others booking plans by holding visas?