Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Huh. Was not expecting a Hunter X Hunter nod in this show.

Also, current crop of new episodes are on the CN app for free now. No cable account needed I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So I’m a bit late to the party but I finally saw the gun control episode. It was... kind of dogshit?

I mean I give the show points for trying but ultimately it fails as an episode because it wasn’t very funny and the metaphor was obvious to the point of being obnoxious. Meanwhile it fails as an anti gun message because the format wont really let the writers deal with the subject matter in a serious and nuanced way (read: no one can get shot and die). They clearly wanted to get a message across (albeit, kind of a wishy-washy one) but weren’t allowed to use the tools that would make that message resonate.

Also I found the depiction of congressmen as honest actors and not human filth to be deeply offensive:colbert:. No, calling your representative won’t fix poo poo. In real life that pol would have hung up on KOs mom, fired her secretary for sending her a call from the general public, and let the gun manufacturerskeleton remote salesman do whatever the gently caress they wanted in exchange for a few millions in campaign cash. But I’ll grant you that “You’re hosed kiddies! Enjoy experiencing at least three active shooter incidents before you graduate!” as an episode moral would be a hard sell for the TV execs.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

khwarezm posted:

The gun control episode was funny and cool and the congressman scene was obviously a tongue in cheek commentary saying "this is what lawmakers should be doing, hold people accountable kids!", dumbass.

Maybe? I read it as a sincere call to action. Which is fine in theory but having watched the “contact your congressman!” strategy fail to change anything substantial for like 20 years now I’ve kind of lost my patience with it. Hell a bunch of shooting victims are doing a high-profile campaign for gun control right now and even that isn’t accomplishing much in terms of actual legislation getting passed.

quote:

Obviously it's not going to have people literally die, that's they why they "only" have them get turned into actual real skeletons because people have descended into violent paranoia brought on by rich people playing up to the public's worst tendencies, what could it mean?!

Yes I got the metaphor, it wasn’t very subtle. But when being a skeleton has few real drawbacks it kind of deflates the message. It works on a metaphorical level but on an literal one it’s kind of a mess. At least it was for me. YMMV

T-man posted:

So, y'know, the Model T probably had some bad ideas baked in.

Yeah, this kind of sums it up for me. It was a good try but the format was just not meant to deal with this kind of thing.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

I liked the Captain Planet episode because it would have been so easy to go ironic, but they embraced it.

Agreed. The Captain Planet episode owned.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i just can't really get behind the idea that they bit off more than they could chew, because Gargoyles was a kids show from 25 loving years ago that targeted broadly the same demographic and did a literally perfect episode on almost this exact topic. it was way, way more brutal than Let's Not Be Skeletons, but... that ended up selling the message more clearly.

I did not know that this existed. *sigh!* OH WELL I guess I’ll just have to go back and rewatch Gargoyles I suppose.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Not to mention the whole gun control thing falls apart when you remember that the Bodega already sold other much more directly lethal weapons

This inspired my own gun control episode idea:

KO buys a photorealistic glock from a vending machine and treats it like any of Gar’s doodads. After a few scenes of him playing around he shoots one of the robots only to have the bullet ricochet and hit a random minor character through the spleen. The fighting stops, everyone goes silent, and we’re then treated to five solid minutes of waiting for the ambulance as the gunshot victim screams in pain and asks if he’s going to die. We cut to the hospital where KO reflects on what he’s learned and the gang has a big laugh about the whole thing. Then the doctor walks in, says that the victim will never walk again, and we get a loooong uncomfortable silence followed by the credits and standard ending theme where the cardboard cutouts depict KO at his parole hearing.

Think the TV execs would go for it?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I love what they did with the reveal so drat much. I literally can’t wait to see part-time villain K.O.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Ian make an RPG World series next

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Speaking of which, did Gumball ever get a real ending or was what’s-his-face getting dragged into the glitch hole it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Final arc was a bit rushed but Thank you for Watching the Show was A+ stuff. drat good show and I'm sad now that it's over.