Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I think people being disappointed that this didn't have any origin stuff kind of miss somewhat that this is a coming of age story which in it's way a origin story. It isn't a story about how Spider Man got his powers or how he decides to fight crime or be a superhero , but instead how Peter Parker becomes Spider - Man. I thought that was really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The original sequence is pretty long but these two panels are probably the best example of the movie hewing pretty close to the source material:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hollismason posted:

I think people being disappointed that this didn't have any origin stuff kind of miss somewhat that this is a coming of age story which in it's way a origin story. It isn't a story about how Spider Man got his powers or how he decides to fight crime or be a superhero , but instead how Peter Parker becomes Spider - Man. I thought that was really interesting.

Also we've seen the origin story on screen twice in the last 15 years. I'm super glad they decided not to waste any time on it this time around.

I can just imagine a film that takes an hour to get Peter in the suit, then introduces Keaton's Vulture as a threat, and it's just the same loving thing we've seen in every other one of these films. We were lucky to avoid it this time.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Steve2911 posted:

I can just imagine a film that takes an hour to get Peter in the suit, then introduces Keaton's Vulture as a threat, and it's just the same loving thing we've seen in every other one of these films. We were lucky to avoid it this time.

That's probably in the alternate universe where this movie was directed by Zack Snyder. And of course it ends with Spidey breaking Vulture's neck even though there were non-lethal alternatives.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I actually really loved Peter saving Vulture

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

VolticSurge posted:

That's probably in the alternate universe where this movie was directed by Zack Snyder. And of course it ends with Spidey breaking Vulture's neck even though there were non-lethal alternatives.

Nah, Peter suffocates Vulture on accident by using a non-dissolving web fluid and webbing his entire face.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
This movie is like freaks and geeks:Spider-Man edition, and it's great for it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

One of the best aspects of the film that I loved was The Vulture figuring out pretty quickly that Spider Man was Peter Parker which I thought was great. He just figured it out a few moments after talking to him and putting things together

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

So no one's gonna spoil the after credits scene? Come on, you know you want to.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hollismason posted:

One of the best aspects of the film that I loved was The Vulture figuring out pretty quickly that Spider Man was Peter Parker which I thought was great. He just figured it out a few moments after talking to him and putting things together

It's part of what makes the DC trip interesting. Just going by the trailers you wonder why they would go there because it's not like NYC is lacking in tall buildings but, among other reasons, the link between Peter and Spider-Man both there with his daughter and yet not seen together is a huge clue for Toomes. The circumstantial evidence might not have been so damning had it been local.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

That's probably in the alternate universe where this movie was directed by Zack Snyder.

Right, the guy who introduced a Batman in his forties who'd been active for decades.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Doflamingo posted:

If you're not patient enough to see it yourself it honestly and completely loses its effect. Telling you would be spoiling it in the truest sense of the word.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Doflamingo posted:

You really just have to see it for yourself.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Doflamingo posted:

It has Thanos doing a huge (and super well done) speech on patience and has Goldblum's Thor character in it briefly too, so it's just an Avengers 3 teaser. Probably the most substantial post-credits thing Marvel has done since Thor's hammer.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I really liked the changes they made to the Spiderman formula. Ned finding out. Aunt May finding out at the end. No explicit Uncle Ben stuff. No Osborne edgelord nonsense. Vulture surviving. New MJ.

Really good changes. I'm surprised how much I liked it.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Lobok posted:

If you're not patient enough to see it yourself it honestly and completely loses its effect. Telling you would be spoiling it in the truest sense of the word.

It's a comic book movie bro. BTW I did watch the film, just couldn't be arsed to wait for after the credits.

I, Butthole posted:

It has Thanos doing a huge (and super well done) speech on patience and has Goldblum's Thor character in it briefly too, so it's just an Avengers 3 teaser. Probably the most substantial post-credits thing Marvel has done since Thor's hammer.

Thanks!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

I, Butthole posted:

This post is really underselling it though, it's all done in one amazing single shot

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

Lol

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Doflamingo posted:

Patience, man.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Spoiler the scene I ain't got 12 bucks to see the commercial.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The goon up there already ruined it for you Some crazy Thanos stuff

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Just got out of this, such a delight all the way through, and the after credits scene was definitely the post important and significant part of this movie and the entire cinematic universe as a whole.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Argue posted:

The goon up there already ruined it for you Some crazy Thanos stuff

That's what I get for not clicking previous replies.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I love this movie and every gushing review in the thread explains why. It was fun. It was lighthearted. It was small. It felt like a good justification for a lived-in universe that expanded beyond the movie. It was thematically appropriate. All the actors shined, the script was great, and I wouldn't change a thing.

That being said...

Turbonerd voice from years I thought had long since passed is tapping me on the back of the head repeatedly, trying to ruin the movie for me with a dumb knit-pick.

How is it not hugely obvious to literally everybody who Spiderman is? He's a superhero from queens who rescues a group of teenagers from queens in Washington DC minus one of them who just happened to be missing. Anybody involved would be like, "Why's Spider man outside of queens for the first time rescuing teenagers from queens?" Add in the "Peter knows Spider-Man!" and holy gently caress is it ever obvious that Peter is Spiderman.

Thankfully, being reared by MST3K, I can "it's just a show. You should really just relax" most things, and this is gonna' have to be one of 'em, but god drat is my turbodork knit-picking annoying me on this one.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

How is it not hugely obvious to literally everybody who Spiderman is? He's a superhero from queens who rescues a group of teenagers from queens in Washington DC minus one of them who just happened to be missing. Anybody involved would be like, "Why's Spider man outside of queens for the first time rescuing teenagers from queens?" Add in the "Peter knows Spider-Man!" and holy gently caress is it ever obvious that Peter is Spiderman.

I get what you mean, but I can sort of see it. The people in the elevator know Peter too well to think it's him. Most people who only heard about it second-hand assumed he was in the elevator, like Michael Keaton's character. Once he finds out Peter wasn't he figures it out almost instantly. The only person left is MJ, who might well know or at least be suspicious.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

I love this movie and every gushing review in the thread explains why. It was fun. It was lighthearted. It was small. It felt like a good justification for a lived-in universe that expanded beyond the movie. It was thematically appropriate. All the actors shined, the script was great, and I wouldn't change a thing.

That being said...

Turbonerd voice from years I thought had long since passed is tapping me on the back of the head repeatedly, trying to ruin the movie for me with a dumb knit-pick.

Thankfully, being reared by MST3K, I can "it's just a show. You should really just relax" most things, and this is gonna' have to be one of 'em, but god drat is my turbodork knit-picking annoying me on this one.

Did you ever have a flaky friend in high school or any other time and if so, did you suspect they secretly fought crime or did you suspect they were just unreliable/possibly on drugs. Also Peter Parker is a slim, squeaky-voiced nerd. I mean I understand your point but there's a reason the only people who suspect anything - The Vulture and Michelle - are the ones really paying attention.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I get all the justifications. I do. But it's okay. It was worked into the plot. Somebody did. Everybody kind of should've, but that's a conceit the movie gets. It gets to do that. It's not ruining anything for me. It's just a pebble in my shoe about the flick.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

At least in his high school days, Peter Parker's greatest protection from his identity being found out is simply being his pipsqueak teenager self. Puny Parker being a famous and powerful superhero? Don't make me laugh.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ned is a dork and Jacob plays him perfectly

Serf
May 5, 2011

I just got back from seeing this. Lots of fun, and Michael Keaton ruled. I thought it was a bold choice to make Spider-Man the villain, but drat it worked well.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Serf posted:

I just got back from seeing this. Lots of fun, and Michael Keaton ruled. I thought it was a bold choice to make Spider-Man the villain, but drat it worked well.
Vulture being a loving decent dude who refused to sell Peter out and just hated rich people profiteering on the back of lower-class backs was a really awesome choice.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

hiddenriverninja posted:

Ned is a dork and Jacob plays him perfectly

Ned and the Vulture were the MVPs of the movie for sure. Holland is gonna get all the praise because he's the lead but he would have been way worse off without those two to play off of.

also I can't believe more is not being said about Marissa Tomei because seriously that was a not good performance.

edit:

Serf posted:

This is wrong. Tony Stark is the villain. Spider-Man is a tool of Tony Stark throughout the entire movie until the danger (of using a 15 year old boy as a weapon) outweighs the benefits and Tony drops him like a rock. Tony Stark: lovely Person, lovely Father Figure.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 8, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah Tony Stark is a total poo poo bag in this film . Also he programmed in a instant kill program into Spider- Mans suit. A suit he then gave to a young man who he was grooming to be some sort of murderous tool. Like if that doesn't tell you his motives for SPider Man I don't think anything would. Vulture is actually right when he tells Peter that billionaires don't care about people like them. He basically makes a suit for Parker then puts him into a super hero brawl where he's almost killed . Then once he's done he drops him like a rock and tells his body guard that obviously doesn't give a poo poo about Spider Man or what he's doing to look after him..

Like Tony Stark is the other villain in the film.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 8, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Like, Adrian Toomes is still a villain though, nobody forced him to develop and sell illegal high powered firearms. Just because he's also a victim doesn't mean he isn't kind of a shithead

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

This movie was fully sick and I'm gonna watch it 8 more times

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Colonel Whitey posted:

Like, Adrian Toomes is still a villain though, nobody forced him to develop and sell illegal high powered firearms. Just because he's also a victim doesn't mean he isn't kind of a shithead

Society forced him.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

Society literally bankrupts him while being condescending in the process.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really enjoyed the movie, it's so nice to have Spidey playing around with the rest of the Marvel Universe again. Echoing all the love for Keaton and Holland, both are great.

My favorite scene in all honesty is when Spidey's running through the golf course. That was incredible.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MiddleOne posted:

Society literally bankrupts him while being condescending in the process.

I mean, he probably had options to profit from the situation that weren't literal death rays.

I, Butthole posted:

I can't tell whether this is a troll or if there were different scenes in different regions. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

I mean, he probably had options to profit from the situation that weren't literal death rays.

What was he going to do, sell black market environmentally friendly power generators? Did he really have any options besides weapons considering that him keeping the tech at all was a crime? :raise:

• Locked thread