Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I nominate Napoleon Bonaparte and his government for the Louisiana Purchase, doubling the size of the US for a cool $15M (less than 3 cents an acre)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Purchase

quote:

Although the foreign minister Talleyrand opposed the plan, on April 10, 1803, Napoleon told the Treasury Minister François de Barbé-Marbois that he was considering selling the entire Louisiana Territory to the United States. On April 11, 1803, just days before Monroe's arrival, Barbé-Marbois offered Livingston all of Louisiana for $15 million, equivalent to about $233 million in 2011 dollars[15] which averages to less than three cents per acre.[16][17]

The American representatives were prepared to pay up to $10 million for New Orleans and its environs, but were dumbfounded when the vastly larger territory was offered for $15 million. Jefferson had authorized Livingston only to purchase New Orleans. However, Livingston was certain that the United States would accept the offer.[18]
Nice negotiating, you dumb Frenchmen.

You could also say that the Alaska Purchase was a smoking deal too, buying all of Alaska (all the seals you can eat and all the petroleum you can drink) for the equivalent of $123M in today's dollars.

Motivated sellers in the form of desperate, cash strapped colonizing governments can make for some real bargains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Hey speaking of presidents making bad spending choices, let's talk about General George Washington :patriot:
He refused his $500/month payment as commanding general during the American Revolution, and instead asked the Congress just reimburse his expense account. Over the course of 8 years, he racked up $449,000 in expenses. Whenever he fronted money from his own pocket, he charged 6% interest to the government
He'd also do things like itemize a ball of twine (20 pence) or a broom (8 pence), and then throw in a line item for "wine, miscellaneous etc. etc." for $6,000 or a saddle for $800. He also bought a rad, custom made carriage for $1,430.
He also spent a lot of money on Madeira, goose, mutton, and expensive meals for himself and the top brass of the army.

When he was elected President, he suggested that he forego a salary and instead be given an expense account, repeating his arrangement. Congress didn't fall for that one twice in a row, and gave him a regular salary.

Mary Todd Lincoln was also a compulsive shopper, and was grossly in debt. She came from a wealthy family, and had expensive tastes. Reminder, this is all during the Civil War!
http://talkingcents.consumercredit.com/2014/02/17/mary-todd-lincoln-compulsive-shopper-severe-debt-problems/

quote:

Mary Todd Lincoln, married to the 16th president, Abraham Lincoln, had a taste for the finer things in life. Feeling the scrutiny from the media as a fashion symbol, she felt the need to spend exorbitant amounts of money on clothing and accessories. At one point, she purchased 400 pairs of gloves in a four month period. She also overindulged in the redecorating process of the White House, lobbying Congress for $20,000 (almost the same amount as the presidential salary) to refurbish the mansion, and ended up over budget by nearly $7,000. While she often received items as gifts, she still did not have a long-term plan to pay for those that were not gifted to her.

“I must dress in costly materials,” she said to a friend. “The President glances at my rich dresses and is happy to believe that the few hundred dollars that I obtain from him supply all my wants…if he is elected, I can keep him in ignorance of my affairs, but if he is defeated [in the reelection], then the bills will be sent.” After the death of her son Willie in 1862, her mourning sent her into more debt as she went on clothes shopping sprees to nullify her grief.

By 1864, her debts had run up to $27,000, nearly $400,000 in today’s money. President Lincoln was furious, causing arguments and problems in their marriage. Desperate, she would share political secrets with officials or promise political favors in exchange for loans. She even sold off excess manure purchased to fertilize White House grounds, and fired mansion staff to save money. She and her husband were fortunate that the White House expenses used to pay off her debt were kept secret during Lincoln’s 1864 reelection campaign.

After the death of her husband, creditors descended upon the fragile woman. They had previously granted unlimited credit, and now demanded payment. Congress granted her a one-time pension payment of $25,000, but it was not enough to cover her debts or spending habits. She ended up selling many of her personal belongings, and her supporters helped as much as they could. Though she eventually paid off her debts, swirling rumors and the actions she took to secure personal loans ruined her reputation and relationship with many friends.

400 daggum pairs of gloves in a 4 month period. The Imelda Marcos of gloves

• Locked thread