Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Race #10 - Chiller

What could possibly be better than a nice quiet night out in the snow?
Just stay by the engine, and you'll be warm for the rest of your life....

Race #11 - Erasing Arizona

There will be plenty of orphans to be found after our little run through the local dry riverbed.
Now with more airtime!

berryjon fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The facecam is pretty much what I look like whenever I drive.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Wait are race 10 and 11 the same map with a slight reskin?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Cassa posted:

Wait are race 10 and 11 the same map with a slight reskin?

Nope!

Race #10 is found on the Frosty Pass Ski Resort while Race 11 is played out on the Devil's Canyon Mining town.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 15, 2017

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Race #12 - 600 ft Under

We went down, down, down, and found no burning rings of fire.
At least we didn't find any bands either...

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Race #13 - Mangled at the Mall

You won't believe how this one ends.
There is no way under the moon that should have happened!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The fact that at speed you can't correct without spinning wildly, sure made for an amazing ending.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Cassa posted:

The fact that at speed you can't correct without spinning wildly, sure made for an amazing ending.

You haven't seen spinning wildly yet.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

(edit - link to video with imperfect audio removed)

berryjon fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 5, 2017

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

OP, your mic audio is kind of weird in this video. Speedball and the 2nd guy seem to have fine audio, but it feels like an audio imbalance. Don't think it's my headphones either, they seem to be working fine.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Mysticblade posted:

OP, your mic audio is kind of weird in this video. Speedball and the 2nd guy seem to have fine audio, but it feels like an audio imbalance. Don't think it's my headphones either, they seem to be working fine.

I tried fixing that in post, but there was little I could do.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
You're only coming out of the left channel of a stereo output, the other two are coming out of both.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

You're only coming out of the left channel of a stereo output, the other two are coming out of both.

Always keep your working files kids!

I'm going to re-process the video starting with remixing the audio. Will update one the new video goes up.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Race #14 - I Scream in the Sun

Today, I launch myself out of one race and into another.
And I hope this time, I don't break my audio again!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Race #15 - Magnachem Mayhem

There is nothing good to say about this race.
It is late 90's level design at its finest.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 11, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

berryjon posted:

Race #15 - Megachem Mayhem
MagnaChem :eng101:

I hated that level so much in the original game. Not as much as the mine level, but still. It got a lot better in Carmageddon Reincarnation/Max Damage and is actually one of my favorite levels in that game, with a ton of fun places to explore, but the original was just godawful.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I always get that wrong. But hey, next time we're back to a fun map!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I mean, I'm having fun... maybe it's schadenfreude though!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I am remembering how many maps of this game were just really bad huh.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Not enough love for this.

I played the first Carmageddon back when it came out on DOS. Oh, that was so much fun. I think I got it from a friend, because I didn't get the box, or the manual, so I had no idea what to do in it. I tried racing around the track first time around, and kept getting frustrated because I'd run out of time. :downs:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That last level was a bunch of frustrating bullshit, I don't remember playing it much so maybe I just beat it and moved on. Definitely not one of the stronger maps. But there was a lot of that going around as people got used to 3D worlds and what did and didn't work.

By the way - the word 'quay' is pronounced as 'key' in Queen's English. As in Off Key.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Psychotic Weasel posted:

That last level was a bunch of frustrating bullshit, I don't remember playing it much so maybe I just beat it and moved on. Definitely not one of the stronger maps. But there was a lot of that going around as people got used to 3D worlds and what did and didn't work.

By the way - the word 'quay' is pronounced as 'key' in Queen's English. As in Off Key.

I did correct him, but not in time.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

I did correct him, but not in time.

Didn't we have that discussion in the next video?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Worst part about Carmageddon: you can't unlock all of the cars.

I didn't find out about it at the time, and I would've been heartbroken had I found out, but Cutter's car? Totally off-limits. I think there's a limited subsection of cars you can (legally) unlock. I think there were cheats that let you get others? Can't remember.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

There is a limited selection of cars you can get legit in Carmageddeon; The Annihilator, Tashita Coupe, Grunge Buster, The Twister, The Bear, Caddy Fat Cat, Towmeister, The Plow and the top secret one. However, all cars become available once the game is completed, and I do intend to show them all off, one way or the other.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Really? Is that really how it works?

I remember winding up with a lot of cars with the word "Cheat" written across them, and because I couldn't remember how I got them, I assumed that I'd gotten them by actually cheating (which was my go-to strategy with playing games back when I was a nipper). But then I thought, "That can't be right, I didn't cheat at racing games, especially violent ones." So, I'm glad that's cleared up.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I want to say you can unlock most if not all of the vehicles legitimately in the iOS/Android port. In the original PC version, only the cars with proper interiors are "stealworthy", the rest (which just use the Eagle's interior) are unlocked by beating the game. The mobile port doesn't have a cockpit camera mode, so the interiors no longer matter.

Aside from that one slight omission, the mobile Carmageddon is really good. The touch controls are a bit janky as usual, but it's Carmageddon so it's not like you need to do any precision driving (that's in Carmageddon 2).

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Doc Morbid posted:

iOS/Android port.

I never get tired of that. I tell my wife, "Hey, I used to play that on my computer. I had to talk my father into getting me such and such video card, or I had to create a special boot floppy to get everything working just right. And now, I can run this on my phone."

She says, "That's nice, dear."

Obviously SCUMMVM, and there was another emulator for Grim Fandango... and did I see a version of DOSBOX? I've almost stopped gaming on my phone, for some reason. Oh, and there was a port of The Bard's Tale on Android, I remember playing that too.

I wonder if I would've enjoyed Carmageddon on the phone as well... probably not, but like I said, I don't game on the phone anymore.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

berryjon posted:

Didn't we have that discussion in the next video?

Yes, which was not in time to fix the last one. :colbert:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Race #16 - Off Quay

So, how do you pronounce it?
Just remember who is driving.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
You know, I've always thought it was said "kway." :kiddo:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, and it's is-land. English is a garbage bastard language and this is one of the many examples why.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Well, you know, you say tom-ah-to, I say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious because I'm secretly dyslexic...

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Race 17 - Halfway to Hell

Sad to say, even the developers didn't like this map. As this won't be the last time they pull this stunt on us.
But at least we get a good musical reference out of it!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh boy, if you think you can get people bouncing in the original game, in the mine levels with pinball mode, just wait until you try it in the Android version. The physics engine has obviously been tweaked a bit, because they can seriously reach hypersonic speeds, with a little bit of motivation. It's insane.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh boy, if you think you can get people bouncing in the original game, in the mine levels with pinball mode, just wait until you try it in the Android version. The physics engine has obviously been tweaked a bit, because they can seriously reach hypersonic speeds, with a little bit of motivation. It's insane.

Keep this in mind for later. I get pinball mode inside a room, and I just let it go.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Aw hell, I once wound up with Pinball mode and Bouncy-Bouncy at the same time. It wasted so much cash in repair money...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I keep finding myself idly wondering where this game got the splatter sound effect (the one used f r wasting pedestrians). It's in a lot of Vogel's games, too.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I keep finding myself idly wondering where this game got the splatter sound effect (the one used f r wasting pedestrians). It's in a lot of Vogel's games, too.

Vogel admitted that he got a lot of his audio sound effects from public domain stock sources. Perhaps both games drew from the same source as a means to keep the costs down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Some soundpack person out there is probably responsible for like 50% of sfx. Some of those little clips have been in use for around 30 years in various games. It's a cool little piece of history. :kiddo:

• Locked thread