Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
And yet I've never heard the Wilhelm Scream!

Though Max and Die do give their best impressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I can't remember, are upgrades for specific cars, or are all of your cars upgraded at the same time when you buy defense, offense or engine?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

All upgrades are shared.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Just a quick update.

Primary recording for all races is done. I got all the cars, including the spoiler one.

Because of that, I'm going to be accelerating my release schedule, then make a couple bonus videos showing off some neat stuff.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Oh hey, awesome!

Wait, so how many updates are we looking at? At last count, your rank was in the 60s, maybe? So, 10 more races?

Will you be doing the first sequel? Or the remake?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

There are 36 races in the game, I've done 16 races (plus one extra for Vlad) so far. I could probably do two or three a week from this point on and still have enough for two months of videos.

I should be done well before the new year.

Ah, the joys of unemployment.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
If the race is short, slam it into another. Gimme that long form LP

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Keep 'em separate, put 'em together, it's all the same. Yeah, the races are fun, but I tune in for the colour commentary.

What are we looking forward to in the next race?

By the way, did you manage to unlock any of the cars legit before you finished the game?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I see no reason to change the way the LP is being presented when all the primary recording on my end is done. The videos would simply come more often than before.

painedforever posted:

By the way, did you manage to unlock any of the cars legit before you finished the game?
I can only presume that the only reason that you have said this would be because you haven't watched the videos or read the OP. :sigh:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

berryjon posted:

I see no reason to change the way the LP is being presented when all the primary recording on my end is done. The videos would simply come more often than before.

I can only presume that the only reason that you have said this would be because you haven't watched the videos or read the OP. :sigh:

No, no, no. Missed a "more" in there. Did you unlock any more cars, is what I meant. I mean, yeah, there was ED-101's and Vlad's car, and I think one other, maybe? But did you unlock any others before you finished the game?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

painedforever posted:

No, no, no. Missed a "more" in there. Did you unlock any more cars, is what I meant.

berryjon posted:

Primary recording for all races is done. I got all the cars, including the spoiler one.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Sorry berry. I guess I read that as "I've gotten all of the cars because I've finished the game" because that's totally a thing that happens in Carmageddon, rather than "I went through the game enough times so that I could legit unlock all of the cars that it's possible to unlock".

According to a wiki online, there are 9 of them? Though there's something about a Splat Pack which has more...

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Let's start our double-features!

Race 18 - Industrial Action

This time, we take the Tashita out for another spin.
This might be a mistake.

Race 19 - Wallstreet Crash

And this time, we go back to the city!
Which makes everything better.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Stella could have been a lot worse. As it stands, the game tends to treat other drivers and pedestrians as "if you don't see it happen, it didn't happen". So, if Stella isn't in visual range doing the electro-bastard ray, then she doesn't kill any pedestrians. It's only the ones in front of you.

And y'know, they did make Carmageddon in the modern age. Was it last year that it came out? Because it had a free DLC which converted the pedestrians into Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

I haven't played through the entire thing (I keep getting distracted; I want to finish Batman Arkham Origins first), but I do know that the city has been lovingly recreated. I think all of the cars are stealable, and they tell you in the pre-race start which car can be stolen in a particular race, if you waste them. Oh, and upgrades are for individual cars. Also, the Countslash is still the most beautiful of all of the cars... but fragile. Sorta like Vlad's car, but slightly better clearance, and able to turn.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!

berryjon posted:

Race 19 - Wallstreet Crash

And this time, we go back to the city!
Which makes everything better.

About the cop game chat, Beat Cop is a great game and you should play it.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

You know, I've always thought it was said "kway." :kiddo:

In the book Notes from a Small Island the author takes the family on a trip to Newquay, "Only because I thought the town was called Nookie and I wanted to stock up on postcards."

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Race 20 - Terror on the Trails

Who will do more screaming? The Peds, for being here, or Die, for all the spinning?
Who cares!

Race 21 - Roswell that Ends Well

I want to believe!
Or maybe I could just go see for myself.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Is it just me, or did that first race have a certain German flavour? Wanda Lust in the Mercedes. The Nazi in the tank. The tow-truck is called Towmeister. The Beetle is a Nazi car (and is called the Volkswerker. Screwie Louie looks like a fighter pilot from WWI (like Baron von Richtofen, maybe?).

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Race #22 - Shafts of Fright

This is either a bad horror movie reference,
or a Blaxploitation shout-out. Who knows? It's the Mines. who cares

Race #23 - Top Gear Thrash

Wait a minute, was Top Gear on the air in 1997?
At least there's no direct reference to a silent driver with implausible skills.

Race #24 - Acid Reign

Cute name reference aside,
this is still the Chemical Processing plant. Which means not trying to win legitimately.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Triple threat update! What did we do to deserve this bounty?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Triple threat update! What did we do to deserve this bounty?

40 videos, and AJ_Impy, Speedball and I finished recording the commentary for the last five today.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Holy poo poo, that's a lot of work! Well done!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
If we never have to go back to the mines it'll be too soon.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I watched two of them last night, and one this morning. Couldn't pace them out, could you? :)

I don't remember if I drove Ivan's car. I mean, it has been decades since I've played, but I think I kept waiting for Screwie Louie's because I liked how it looked. Mind you, handling is about the same. All of the cars are rear wheel drive, none of them are FWD or AWD. Not even the tracked vehicles. They tilt backwards while accelerating.

There was an older Top Gear, before the reboot in 2002. That was a more serious show, with proper reviews, and not just a bunch of hoons in fast cars. Still good though, because Clarkson is a good journalist.

Shame about the Acid Mine maps. I can guess that you were frustrated by it, and wanted to end it, but you were quick to Recover, even when it looked like you would make it (there was that platform under the track). That little room, for instance. I think you went from 2000 profit to 5000 loss because of all of the Recovers. :trumppop:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

painedforever posted:

I watched two of them last night, and one this morning. Couldn't pace them out, could you? :)

Sudden Starts and Stops? The glorious combo of Mega-Turbo and Instant Handbrake!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

berryjon posted:

Sudden Starts and Stops? The glorious combo of Mega-Turbo and Instant Handbrake!

Hah! That is great. Someone do a screengrab of Diana just as the brakes are hit! Her eyes bug out!

One of the weirder power-ups in the sequel gave you a ball-and-chain (a mace, essentially) growing out of the back of your car. Really screwed up your handling, it did. Great fun to whip it around into crowds of people though. And when the timer ran out, it'd drop off, so you could push it into people.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Race 25 - Hitchhiker Harvest

Our first race today is the nightmare of anyone who has ever stuck their thumb out along the side of the road.

Race 26 - Slaughter City

Today's second race shows off the perils of exploration.
And even I have too much class to make the obvious pun.

Race 27 - Slaughter City Redux

Headed back to the city to do this properly.
And to explore some more.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Pedestrians from Hades is supposed to make Pedestrians invincible, but doesn't.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pedestrians from Hades is supposed to make Pedestrians invincible, but doesn't.

Yeah. I know. I corrected myself in a later video.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Best recovery ever.

Stunts is a fun old game, the map editor was amazing.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Poil posted:

Stunts is a fun old game, the map editor was amazing.

For its time, yes. But you can't ignore the fact it was hard as balls to do a loop-de-loop in that game. That, or I was just awful at it cause I was a kid. still had fun despite the frustration.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

It has come to my attention that I didn't auto-duck Race #25 properly, and that quite a bit of chat got drowned out by the game.

Here is the (hopefully) corrected version.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Video 1: Callback to Stunt 4D! Loved that game. Was it a sequel to the original Test Drive? Always felt like it was.

Your opponents always had a problem with pipes and half-pipes, in that they'd try to drive spirals in them, and I'd just drive along the sides.

Video 2: Oh man, I remember the Airport level in Carmageddon 2! I mean, I guess it's a thing, where game designers always feel the need to "add more stuff" when making sequels to games. It works in some games, but not in others. 1nsane's sequel, for example, I felt was ruined because they made the tracks and races far too busy and loud. Carmageddon I'm on the fence about. The original was fun for its simplicity, but a bit of variety wouldn't be so bad. The Airport mission, however, is not the way to go. Precision jumping in a game such as this? Horrible.

By the way, the final target? That isn't a satellite dish. It's the air traffic controller.

And then there's the "boss" fight against the bigger brother of the bulldozer, and I do mean the BIG brother. It's huge! It's wheels are the size of your car. You have to keep out of its way until you can find a damage magnifier or solid granite car, wait for it to crash into something, then keep mashing its tires until it gets wasted.

Video 3: That's how I used to play, try and get as much money as possible. Kill hundreds of pedestrians, waste everyone, and get as many checkpoint bonuses.

Y'know, Carmageddon isn't all that bad to look at, even after all of these years. I think that if someone were to create a hi-def mod for it, it could still compete with a good number of contemporary games. Arguably it still does in its present form, seeing as it's on Steam, and being sold for $10.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

The Japanese text on the walls is probably total nonsense just there for aesthetic purposes. If you really wanted to reach, when horizontally flipped (maybe due to improper texture mapping) you could possibly read it as "フ斤天" which... is nonsense, as best I can tell.

If you really wanted to reach, the first two characters there could be pronounced "fukin" and the last one means "heaven" so one of the devs/artists might have been trying to hide a naughty pun in their nonsense Japanese.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

sleeptalker posted:

If you really wanted to reach, the first two characters there could be pronounced "fukin" and the last one means "heaven" so one of the devs/artists might have been trying to hide a naughty pun in their nonsense Japanese.

Given the subject matter of the game, it's probably more likely than not.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Rank 28 - Mine's a Large One

Going back to the Mines for the last time, and we see some places I've never shown off before.

Race 29 - Slalom Slayfest

Jingle Bells! Don't eat the snow. You have no idea who is in it!

Race 30 - Highrise Terror

Careful that you don't fall down! You might never reach the heights of victory again.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Only seen the first one thus far. Gotta go get ready for work.

Good job keeping out of the pit. Though to be honest, I would have let myself fall, and tried to find a way out on my own, rather than trying to recover.

Tunnels don't work very well in Carmageddon, that I agree with. The controls aren't... optimized for it? It could work in a high-speed purely racing game, especially if the tunnels were circular or semi-circular so that you could drive on the walls or ceilings. Wait, wasn't that Trackmania?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Even though I've only watched the first video, these are great so far! Minor problem: I'm having issues hearing commentary over the malicious and demented whispers from the dimensions of endless torment just outside this reality. Before my sanity is scraped from my mind by the terrible knowledge beyond space, I'd recommend an old priest and a young priest looking into new recording software or something, maybe

e: I've tried applying holy water to my headphones and it didn't help, so I know it's not an issue on my end :colbert:

ee: false alarm; it's just my polter-Kindle acting up. gotta call the secret Vatican office and tell them I need a Protocol Nine. Again.

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 31, 2017

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Race 29: Best intro ever!

Y'know what the most annoying thing about the cop cars is? I mean, aside from the siren, and their targeting you, not giving a lot of time or money, and being very, very tough? It seems as though they don't have damage maps or crumple zones, or whatever you'd call them. Basically, their bodywork doesn't deform very much (or at all), so you can never tell if they've been damaged or not.

Oh good grief, the outside camera is so terrible when you go upside-down! I think at the time, I used to play racing games mostly from the inside camera, so I didn't notice it. But wow.

So, y'know why no-one needs to breathe, and pedestrians can respawn, and everything is terrible (in the context of the world)? You're basically in hell. The pedestrians are sinners. You and other racers are demons set there to punish them.

There. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

painedforever posted:

And then there's the "boss" fight against the bigger brother of the bulldozer, and I do mean the BIG brother. It's huge! It's wheels are the size of your car. You have to keep out of its way until you can find a damage magnifier or solid granite car, wait for it to crash into something, then keep mashing its tires until it gets wasted.
There is a solid granite car powerup pretty close to the starting point, so you can just pick that up and ram the Big Dump head-on when it's coming up the hill. That kills it in one hit.

The airport mission also has an electro-bastard ray you can use to kill the air traffic controller, although it's a bit farther from the starting point and the only reason you'd go for it would be if you knew it was there (whether by looking it up or finding it in a regular race on the airport map)

I may have played entirely too much of Carmageddon II over the years. Even finished all the missions without cheating! :shepicide:

• Locked thread