Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

9:52 am i'm having a coffee at work

i set the motion and went to bed while it rendered 360 aweet as gently caress frames that looked horrendous once photoshop turned them into a gif

need to turn into whatever format giphy makes directly coz they don't have the colour limit

imgur has the video to gif thing, and i thin k the resulting gifv mp4 is usually high quality. looks like you cant uplaod video files directly, tho, has to be linked from a hosting site?

idk man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks man that's a good start ☺️

i mean it's not like it's super worthwhile of a animation but I did what i could

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

echinopsis posted:

lately ive been fuckering around with world machine and it totally owns

for example today I learned you can take the a direction function and plug that into the evaporation channel on the snow device so have one side of thre amount have the snow evaporate faster than the other, which would happen irl because of idk sun and heat or some bullshit?

yea man. when i got into the backend of how renderers worked i found out that ray tracers exist, but they are expensive because you gotta calc each path of each photon. it'd be like simulating graivity with 100 of thousands of objects, each object has an impact on each other.

anyway, all this other stuff has a computational model that works good enough for visual representation so use it. it's neat to think about, and then actually see the outcome!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

echinopsis posted:

9:52 am i'm having a coffee at work

i set the motion and went to bed while it rendered 360 aweet as gently caress frames that looked horrendous once photoshop turned them into a gif

need to turn into whatever format giphy makes directly coz they don't have the colour limit

thats video format. mpeg or whatever. mp4, but thats a container, so the video format will be mepeg2 or something i bet

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
hi echi my dude I guess I'll crosspost this here

https://s1.webmshare.com/zNKmg.webm

I wanna get back into 3DS Max and/or Blender because 3D poo poo rules but I haven't touched Blender in like.... almost 10 years

here's some garbage I did way back in the day when I was a total brown noser in school and spent 20 hours on one week projects worth 2% of my mark because ?!?!

blender fluid sims were cool

fur + hair was cool too

here's some gradient mesh poo poo I made in illustrator as well

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my man good to have you in here

that gradient poo poo totally owns. did you do today watch? god that must have taken some time

i'm ok at fiddling with tools but have no artistic talent as such: or little. it's growing slowly lol

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

horizon dlc lookin good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

mate

i remember now

what does your thing export? i remember the toolchain trying to get your models out into something i could use missed some pieces :/

also came into blender as unconnected shapes which meant applying different materials was slow. lol

m8 the tools have been updated, now I use stud.io to build which packages povray and the translation layer

It doesn't allow for as fine control of the render but it's gobs easier to set up

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what welsh can it export? interesting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

what welsh can it export? interesting

I'll have 2 check

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I'm making a literal poo poo rn

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do you still use luxRender or have you switched to cycles?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do you do anything other than mountain scenes with glowing text?

e: i don't mean for that to sound snarky, just wondering if you do other kinds of 3d work as well that you don't post here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Themage posted:

Do you still use luxRender or have you switched to cycles?

switched to cycles

the integration with blender makes a huge difference and cycles has far less random fireflies which i found hard to control

the biggest thing missing from luxrender is a true bidirectional sampler and less control over the sampler, and dispersion in glass material (although you can fake it)

Sagebrush posted:

do you do anything other than mountain scenes with glowing text?

e: i don't mean for that to sound snarky, just wondering if you do other kinds of 3d work as well that you don't post here

nope. amateur mountains and glowing text is the ONLY stuff i make :smugmrgw:

i'm hopeless at modelling but not bad at using tools so all my stuff comes out of that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for awhile i had this idiot purist attitude but i wanna ditch it so that the end product is what matters not the process

I have an idea, but is going to require exporting a height map out of blender, which i know you can do i just got to work out how

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

owns

this one is sick as hell

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Satellit3 posted:

this one is sick as hell

thank u, it's one of my personal faves

also i just fired up stud.io; it can export to Mosaic, LDraw, POV-Ray, Collada, and Sketchfab

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmmmmm

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

here is probably my single favorite mek i've ever built

Blue River Crows - Model R1 (POV) by Captain Foo, on Flickr

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wanna put that in a weird mountain scene

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

so world machine can also generate snow but I never really liked it but its ok. whats "cool" is that its not just a snow texture but a thick cover so I exported both meshes and use both here and animate the transparancy of one. end result is noisy and not really that cool because this isnt like a time lapse of snow falling really and you cant quite tell but the snow is thicker

Captain Foo posted:

here is probably my single favorite mek i've ever built

Blue River Crows - Model R1 (POV) by Captain Foo, on Flickr

had a quick look and not sure if any of those export options you posted work.. but I think thats because youre listing scene exports (like export to a renderer) and not into a 3d modelling program? idk? who knows anything

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

so world machine can also generate snow but I never really liked it but its ok. whats "cool" is that its not just a snow texture but a thick cover so I exported both meshes and use both here and animate the transparancy of one. end result is noisy and not really that cool because this isnt like a time lapse of snow falling really and you cant quite tell but the snow is thicker

had a quick look and not sure if any of those export options you posted work.. but I think thats because youre listing scene exports (like export to a renderer) and not into a 3d modelling program? idk? who knows anything

Yeah probably m8

pram
Jun 10, 2001

this is fuckin sick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for purposely misspelling poo poo just to make me feel good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

moving the focus point

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 8, 2017

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

moving the focus point

ugh family vacations

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

your stuff makes me want to bust out some 3D tools and make things, even though i havent touched a 3D toolset since bryce and infini d were still common tools. it just looks super cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate if i can do it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had this idea
this is the result of that idea
it kinda sucks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

I had this idea
it kinda sucks

no this is good

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I had this idea
it kinda sucks

i'm watching this while listening to this and it works v well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juMRdaHDxKw

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

no this is good

thanks

I think the idea could be done a lot better, as
it stands i just rendered the same scene with lots of variations and then mashed them, I think the idea done but with planning and thought could look interesting

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

when the conspiracy is too loud :cheers:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is the same image rendered but lol at 2k vs 4k export from world machine. also used coastal erosion this time and a beach map

and lol a logo. this would be epic animated but not sure how to do so without learning scripting

need to make that glare look more.. smoother and glorious

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

looks like anime to me

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

and lol a logo. this would be epic animated but not sure how to do so without learning scripting

need to make that glare look more.. smoother and glorious

gently caress yeah make that 1970s public broadcasting logo

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Agile Vector posted:

gently caress yeah make that 1970s public broadcasting logo

ya i was thinking something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCuqlLq1k7o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

idk why but the last few posts had me think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSzAR6ZrKRQ

• Locked thread