Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Interesting way to create a new layouts.

Using AI to Create the Perfect Keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

Finally got my Cycle7 less than 10 days before I move abroad. Most nailbiting group buy experience so far, though now I'm touching it I really can't believe that this thing was only $139. How does China do it???

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the Mode 65 not actually live today? The site lets me display the order page but not place an order.

EDIT: never mind—orders open at 1:00 edt today.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 17, 2024

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is the Mode 65 not actually live today? The site lets me display the order page but not place an order.

EDIT: never mind—orders open at 1:00 edt today.

And it’s $25 off if you order today too with a code.

I went silver top, copper bottom and accent. Going to be expensive but look and feel great amazing with GMK Cubed and boba U4T’s.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

They look like my perfect keyboard, so nice, but on top of the already high price I'd get hosed by 20% import duty too.
Maybe for Christmas

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We need a keyboard that looks cool and mimics your presses like a player piano but your actually using a way uglier keyboard

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Saukkis posted:

Interesting way to create a new layouts.

Using AI to Create the Perfect Keyboard

That ai created keyboard is no good. O and U on the left pinky? Pinky pain..

T and H on the same finger? No way. The inward roll for th on Dvorak is perfect

This is the sort of thing that interests me, I've played with alternative keyboard layouts since I was about 13 or so. I use a slightly modified wide Dvorak.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 18, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

going to those lengths to optimize the key mapping but still using "basically a typewriter" for the physical layout is funny

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

HalloKitty posted:

That ai created keyboard is no good. O and U on the left pinky? Pinky pain..

T and H on the same finger? No way. The inward roll for th on Dvorak is perfect

This is the sort of thing that interests me, I've played with alternative keyboard layouts since I was about 13 or so. I use a slightly modified wide Dvorak.

Yes, that prototype layout is probably plenty lacking, but the idea behind this method is intriguing, just needs more, and better and more stringent rules for evolutionary "goodness". Make pinky more expensive, give the roll better score, better score for "alternating hand typing". Or whatever features makes a layout good.

Instead of manually creating a layout for every use case, because Dvorak is no good, all languages require their own version. When I started researching a layout to use with my Ergodox EZ I found at least two different Dvorak modifications created for Finnish but neither has an established position. I also found a layout called DAS created by one guy that looked best to my eye and had the best sounding theory, but there is no real testing done between these.

But typing Finnish isn't the only thing I need, I'm divided pretty evenly between typing Finnish and English, with a hefty dose of Bash command shell sprinkled on top, and that's why I customized the DAS layout quite a bit for my needs. For example I have "$" at the CapsLock location, and they keys closest to my right thumb are Enter and "|". Finnish standard layout doesn't have a key for "|", you need to stretch to press AltGr+"+" and this also introduces a regular problem where you type "|<non-breakable space>less" and then Bash give you a weird error complaining that it can't find the command "less" and it will take quite a while before you understand what the problem is.

When I was switching layouts I took a sampling of my email and Bash histories and calculated what characters I use the most to at least check that they are at the home row. It would have been better if I could have given my typing history for an AI like this. And what if your Yakuza boss took your left pinky? That would significantly alter what kind of layout you need.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Saukkis posted:

But typing Finnish isn't the only thing I need, I'm divided pretty evenly between typing Finnish and English, with a hefty dose of Bash command shell sprinkled on top, and that's why I customized the DAS layout quite a bit for my needs. For example I have "$" at the CapsLock location, and they keys closest to my right thumb are Enter and "|". Finnish standard layout doesn't have a key for "|", you need to stretch to press AltGr+"+" and this also introduces a regular problem where you type "|<non-breakable space>less" and then Bash give you a weird error complaining that it can't find the command "less" and it will take quite a while before you understand what the problem is.

I would love to try a keyboard that had dedicated keys for every common programming character.
(probably couldn't do it because the common characters are different between javascript, c, python, perl...)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

~Coxy posted:

I would love to try a keyboard that had dedicated keys for every common programming character.
(probably couldn't do it because the common characters are different between javascript, c, python, perl...)

I have some of the most common characters on dedicated keys, but lot of others I have on the second layer and momentary layer switch key right under thumbs, so they are quite convenient to use. No more stretching across the keyboard constantly. For similar reason I have Up and Down arrow keys next to left thumb for Bash history browsing.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

~Coxy posted:

Sounds like a job for the Hyper 7 keyboard or something to just have all the keys always...

https://mechboards.co.uk/products/hyper-7-v4

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Saukkis posted:

Yes, that prototype layout is probably plenty lacking, but the idea behind this method is intriguing, just needs more, and better and more stringent rules for evolutionary "goodness". Make pinky more expensive, give the roll better score, better score for "alternating hand typing". Or whatever features makes a layout good.

Instead of manually creating a layout for every use case, because Dvorak is no good, all languages require their own version. When I started researching a layout to use with my Ergodox EZ I found at least two different Dvorak modifications created for Finnish but neither has an established position. I also found a layout called DAS created by one guy that looked best to my eye and had the best sounding theory, but there is no real testing done between these.

When I was switching layouts I took a sampling of my email and Bash histories and calculated what characters I use the most to at least check that they are at the home row. It would have been better if I could have given my typing history for an AI like this. And what if your Yakuza boss took your left pinky? That would significantly alter what kind of layout you need.

That's great, I'm glad to see others actually change the layout as well, to their needs. I've been using my mod for 12 years

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 19, 2024

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

~Coxy posted:

future APL fan spotted

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Has anyone used this?

https://www.8bitdo.com/retro-mechanical-keyboard/

It’s ridiculously cheap on amazon, like £85. Cheaper and more featureful and looks nicer than the equivalent keychrons; dye sub pbt and everything. I have one of their controllers, it’s built super well. Looks like it would be great to throw in my bag for when I go in the office.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

First time I've seen the C64 "inspired" one. Pretty cool really, just s bit big for me sadly.

If it's from Amazon, just buy it and see if you like it, they're easy as gently caress to return

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Generic Monk posted:

Has anyone used this?

It’s ridiculously cheap on amazon, like £85. Cheaper and more featureful and looks nicer than the equivalent keychrons; dye sub pbt and everything. I have one of their controllers, it’s built super well. Looks like it would be great to throw in my bag for when I go in the office.

I think a goon bought one. I've been tempted but don't need another keyboard right now. Chyrosran22 gave it a review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM0IJK1u5BA

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Chyrosran22 gave it a review:

Yeah from that review it seems like a nice board. He used it recently for his ceramic keycaps review as well, he says it has good acoustics because of the hollow body. The styling isn't for me but it seems well constructed from everything I've seen.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I own one and use it every day, it rocks

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Sounds like a job for the Hyper 7 keyboard or something to just have all the keys always...

https://mechboards.co.uk/products/hyper-7-v4

All those keys are way too far away, my old joints can't handle that much waving around.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Generic Monk posted:

Has anyone used this?

it's great for the price! once i switched out the box whites for glorious pandas i was quite happy with it.

edit: they just came out with a c64 edition which looks super cool

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Are there any good keyboard/lapboard combos still available for sale?

I know they're expensive for what they are but I'd really like something convenient for Mouse and Keyboard gaming on the couch. The Razer Turret looks like it's out of production. Amazon Canada has the Corsair K63 combo but only used ones are available and I'm a bit wary of the idea of buying something that's been returned to Amazon.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Are there any good keyboard/lapboard combos still available for sale?

I know they're expensive for what they are but I'd really like something convenient for Mouse and Keyboard gaming on the couch. The Razer Turret looks like it's out of production. Amazon Canada has the Corsair K63 combo but only used ones are available and I'm a bit wary of the idea of buying something that's been returned to Amazon.

This came up last year I want to say, and when I looked around, I think Razer was the only one at that time still making them, and that thing looks real flimsy.

A quick look, and it doesn't look like anyone is making one like the Corsair K63 anymore, so the question has become "what lapboard will fit xx keyboard and mouse?".

Something called the "Couchmaster" exists for $140-180.. 3M has one for 50 bucks. Lapgear makes something for a laptop (so deeper, but might be limited to a TKL or smaller) for $40. Searching for Gaming+lapboard got me the list of stuff on Amazon pretty easy. So it looks like just getting a plain lapboard and adding your own k&m is about the only option now a days.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I ended up just using a piece of wood.
Luckily I noticed that the piece from a broken cupboard door was about the right size, but I guess you could get someone cut to size if you wanted.
Blu-tac under the keyboard, and a bit of "custom cut" mouse mat, so it looks pretty janky, but it works perfectly

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
If you're thinking about longer stretches of using a keyboard on a couch, you could get a lap desk, which has a cushion that will fit whatever shape is underneath it, and a solid surface for a small keyboard and mouse. I've got one specifically for when I'm using my laptop in bed, and it's good/functional.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm looking for a TKL. Quiet*, nice for typing/office work, no gamer aesthetic, willing to live with corded because I definitely don't want a built-in lithium battery that will wear out and render the thing disposable. I'm not really looking to be in the Keyboard Hobby, I just want something nicer and more durable (ideally repairable?) than my standard $40 Logitechs.

Looking at the Matias Mini Quiet Pro or the WASD V3 with MX Browns and o-rings. Anything else I should consider for $150ish? I'm not totally opposed to a one-time DIY project but based on a quick survey that appears to be more expensive. I did read the OP picks but it's also 5 years old.

* obviously subjective, my wife and I WFH from separate but nearby rooms and I'm trying to avoid this scenario:

Nobody Interesting posted:

Jeez hon, I am not going to expect you to wear noise-cancelling headphones every time I want to go on a rampant posting spree.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you're going to get o-rings you may as well just stick with rubber domes or scissors, in my spectacularly humble opinion.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're going to get o-rings you may as well just stick with rubber domes or scissors, in my spectacularly humble opinion.

Yeah o-rings on switches feel like absolute mushy poo poo and don't even quiet things much, and people stopped doing that on the large when silent switches became readily available.

Personally I'd just get whatever hotswap keyboard fit the budget and/or tastes and has decent reviews and then get some silent switches off Amazon or milktooth or wherever to put in and call it a day.

My trial run of Durock Dolphin silent switches is going ok so far. They're still really quiet, although I may try out some silent tactile switches (maybe in one of my other boards) because I'm still not sure how I feel about linear switches.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 24, 2024

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Discussion Quorum posted:

* obviously subjective, my wife and I WFH from separate but nearby rooms and I'm trying to avoid this scenario:
In these circumstances ordinary non-silent (and non-clicky) switches might be perfectly fine as well, depending on the board.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Yeah o-rings on switches feel like absolute mushy poo poo and don't even quiet things much, and people stopped doing that on the large when silent switches became readily available.

Ah. The O-rings can go then. This is where my knowledge is out of date. I knew things had changed a lot. My only mechanical keyboard to date was (briefly) a cheap Velocifire with Outemu Browns that was definitely a noise issue - granted I know they're low end switches and my workspace at the time was in a corner of our living room, so it was pretty intrusive.

Llamadeus posted:

In these circumstances ordinary non-silent (and non-clicky) switches might be perfectly fine as well, depending on the board.

Maybe so? Hard to say without testing it in my space. Guess that's a point in Amazon's favor for easy returns.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

My current keyboard is a hybrid tactile/linear using Akko Fairy and Penguin silent switches and it's amazing how much quieter this is compared to standard switches. Just a gentle rustle and the clunk of the stabilisers.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Getting my first mech keyboard today - a Keychron v5 Max on Gateron Jupiter Reds. Pretty stoked to give it a crack and am already planning a modification that I thought I'd ask y'all about :

I have this bad habit with my current keyboard where I accidentally press the F1 key when I'm working up by the top row... maybe I'm a poo poo typist, I'll grant that and I know it's an unusual issue, but it happens to me frequently enough to bother me. It's only an issue if I'm using an Office app - because it does the creaking groaning slow-as-gently caress, bring Office to a crawl poo poo where it tries to dynamically connect to some garbage service and effectively stops me in my tracks while it tries to connect to 2,000 different tracking and logging services to render a lovely help page in the right pane which I'll immediately dismiss the moment the " x " renders. This issue should be lessened because my current lovely keyboard has the F1 key immediately above the number row and there's a bit more of a gap on the Keychron.

So I want to swap out the switch for the F1 key, with the heaviest loving switch known to man. I mean I want it to be like trying to crush a rock underneath a railroad tie by pressing on the rail. I figured I'd order a Gateron switch tester, find which of the switches is the most miserable to press, and then do the ol' pop & swap.

What do you think; sound like a feasible plan... or are the keys in switch testers fixed in place and irremovable?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Switch testers probably aren't hotswappable, no.

Why not set F1 to do something innocuous in the firmware? Not sure if Office would override that or not.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

sarcastx posted:

Getting my first mech keyboard today - a Keychron v5 Max on Gateron Jupiter Reds. Pretty stoked to give it a crack and am already planning a modification that I thought I'd ask y'all about :

I have this bad habit with my current keyboard where I accidentally press the F1 key when I'm working up by the top row... maybe I'm a poo poo typist, I'll grant that and I know it's an unusual issue, but it happens to me frequently enough to bother me. It's only an issue if I'm using an Office app - because it does the creaking groaning slow-as-gently caress, bring Office to a crawl poo poo where it tries to dynamically connect to some garbage service and effectively stops me in my tracks while it tries to connect to 2,000 different tracking and logging services to render a lovely help page in the right pane which I'll immediately dismiss the moment the " x " renders. This issue should be lessened because my current lovely keyboard has the F1 key immediately above the number row and there's a bit more of a gap on the Keychron.

So I want to swap out the switch for the F1 key, with the heaviest loving switch known to man. I mean I want it to be like trying to crush a rock underneath a railroad tie by pressing on the rail. I figured I'd order a Gateron switch tester, find which of the switches is the most miserable to press, and then do the ol' pop & swap.

What do you think; sound like a feasible plan... or are the keys in switch testers fixed in place and irremovable?

I don't know about the heaviest loving switch known to man but I do quite enthusiastically pop a Kailh Box Jade on my Caps Lock on pretty much every build I've done so far. Even if the switches I'm using are buttery smooth linears? Gimme that satisfying crunch on a key I never want to use unless I absolutely intend to. You need to be pretty deliberate in hitting it, a brush of the finger won't do much.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah you're probably not going to get a buckling spring switch into your board.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I’m putting together a sort of Frankenstein macro pad that aims for a similar effect, smooth easy press linears on the keys I want easy and stiff tactiles on the keys I don’t like accidentally pressing. I found myself looking at a lot of switches and the impression I get is you want something with a high force spring like 60-70 grams and if you dig deeper into the specs of the switch maybe one that hits its activation point a little bit lower. But as an example of a stiffer switch, kailh burnt orange tactiles were one of the higher force springs I found in a switch I liked and out of the box they’re pretty stiff. Go for a stiffer clicky if you really want to avoid presses.

But yeah just start scrutinizing the specs, look for stiffer springs (higher number, 40s mean squishy, 70 is closer to popping bubble wrap).

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

sarcastx posted:

I have 3 switch testers and all of them are removable. They're basically just pieces of plastic, in some cases 3d printed, that hold the switch in place and let you press it.

Your new keyboard comes with VIA/Qmk so you could just put the function row (or just f1) on a layer that requires you to press another key. You could keep it default and then switch to the layer with F1 disabled when you startup an Office suite application. VIA gives you tons of flexibility so I would probably start there instead of buying extra stuff.

Link to VIA: https://www.caniusevia.com/

If you already have the keyboard you can try the configuration tool in browser.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 25, 2024

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Yiggy posted:

I’m putting together a sort of Frankenstein macro pad that aims for a similar effect, smooth easy press linears on the keys I want easy and stiff tactiles on the keys I don’t like accidentally pressing. I found myself looking at a lot of switches and the impression I get is you want something with a high force spring like 60-70 grams and if you dig deeper into the specs of the switch maybe one that hits its activation point a little bit lower. But as an example of a stiffer switch, kailh burnt orange tactiles were one of the higher force springs I found in a switch I liked and out of the box they’re pretty stiff. Go for a stiffer clicky if you really want to avoid presses.

But yeah just start scrutinizing the specs, look for stiffer springs (higher number, 40s mean squishy, 70 is closer to popping bubble wrap).

Best tactiles I ever laid my fingers on were Boba U4Ts. Think they clock in at around 62g iirc? Guess they're called Gazzew U4Ts now or whatever, but those are a joy to type with.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

You can also just open the switch with a screwdriver and swap the spring for something really heavy that requires a lot of initial force like a double-stage spring here: https://cannonkeys.com/products/ck-springs?variant=41101505069167

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions all; will have a play around with VIA to see what all I can do with it.

The spring replacement is a solid idea, heh I even have some springs from my espresso machine to adjust the group head pressure that might fit
I don't have a fixie but having a customized mechanical keyboard and modified espresso machine must make me some type of identifiable fuckwit for sure