Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
"no you should definitely gently caress with the company that is notoriously absent in QC and customer service" ??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

vaginite posted:

What if I was willing to spend a little more? I don't mind if it's gonna be good for like 10 years. The gaming company boards I get basically only last 2-3 years with heavy use. Once a switch dies I just replace the whole keyboard because I don't want to mess with soldering, proprietary caps, etc.

Mode. I swear, posters here are so hooked on Keychron when they sound not great at best, are a poo poo company and all
That. It’s your keyboard. Have it be a good tool that will
Last you the next 10-20 years and are easy to fix if you need to. Mode is sitting right there. (They are more expensive but will last you ten years). Need an extra PCB? Mode. Need other parts to change it up? Mode. If they don’t have the size profile you want, I get it.
It’s both a great endgame and the only keyboard you’ll really need. The envoy is their cheapest and a great board. The sonnet is my daily driver. I can’t wait for the new 65 to arrive.

And thanks for the poster who said my post and the other one should be the new beginning of the thread.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 29, 2024

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

vaginite posted:

What if I was willing to spend a little more? I don't mind if it's gonna be good for like 10 years. The gaming company boards I get basically only last 2-3 years with heavy use. Once a switch dies I just replace the whole keyboard because I don't want to mess with soldering, proprietary caps, etc.

If you're going to spend that much you'll probably want a fancy aluminum keyboard with cherry style switches or just go back to the best one, the Model F with capacitive buckling springs:
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/store/

It may not be for everyone.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I almost went with a Ducky One 3 but saw some talk of dodgy QC on those as well. Between the two, a local return/exchange option carried the day, and I don't think that's unreasonable for recommending something.

gnatalie posted:

the glorious sampler is fine, but fairly limited. the gateron switch tester v2 is awesome and gives you a really good variety of tactile and linear switches. for silent tactiles in particular, take a look at gazzew u4 and mode anthracite- they both have tactile bumps without any pre-travel

Where is this Gateron sampler available? I found a v2 on the Gateron site but it didn't have either of those switches. They're both kinda pricey though. Amazon has a few silent options that are price competitive (Akko Penguin, Durock Silent Shrimp) so those will probably get first look if needed.

100+ silent keys is getting up into :shepspends: territory considering I'm already over budget, though, so I'll give it a try stock first.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Discussion Quorum posted:

I almost went with a Ducky One 3 but saw some talk of dodgy QC on those as well. Between the two, a local return/exchange option carried the day, and I don't think that's unreasonable for recommending something.

You know what, yes. As long as no one is getting Razer poo poo in here

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Where is this Gateron sampler available? I found a v2 on the Gateron site but it didn't have either of those switches. They're both kinda pricey though. Amazon has a few silent options that are price competitive (Akko Penguin, Durock Silent Shrimp) so those will probably get first look if needed.
looks like... ebay may be an option, although lemokey.com (where i got mine) says available soon. the mode sample pack is only $2; gazzew u4 are $0.65 each

quote:

100+ silent keys is getting up into :shepspends: territory considering I'm already over budget, though, so I'll give it a try stock first.

meh, when a switch really gels with you it makes every keypress amazing. conversely, switches you hate (cherry blue) will drive you absolutely bonkers.

vaginite posted:

Hotswappable, standard keycaps are the main thing I'm looking for. Backlit is nice too (RGB isn't necessary but I do consider it a perk).

Budget I'd say under $500.

I'm down for keychron but if there's something more expensive (that's worth it) I'd go higher. I've been lurking this thread awhile and every time I go to replace my keyboard I get overwhelmed with the options and give up.

by god, that's mode design's music :vince:

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Ducky used to be a top choice when the field was limited, but now there are tons of companies at a variety of price ranges with a variety of innovations and unique features, and Ducky didn't keep up. A lot of keyboard companies fell to this trap, especially during the pandemic lockdowns.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Oh, I was digging through some old pictures and found this cursed one:

Up top is my old daily driver: a Magicforce 68 (remember when these used to be super popular like 7 years ago?), with MX Clears and SPRiT 150g springs.

Below is just some dumb thing I had, which is a BigKeys LX with an aftermarket keyguard (these keyboards were intended to be used for industrial environments), but I replaced the stock switches with 280g Tai-Hao APC (Alps-compatible) clicky switches for reasons.

It is probably the worst keyboard I have to attempt to type on.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

vaginite posted:

Hotswappable, standard keycaps are the main thing I'm looking for. Backlit is nice too (RGB isn't necessary but I do consider it a perk).

Budget I'd say under $500.

I'm down for keychron but if there's something more expensive (that's worth it) I'd go higher. I've been lurking this thread awhile and every time I go to replace my keyboard I get overwhelmed with the options and give up.

With that kind of budget you don't need to settle for anything than the best. But that assumes you really know what you want. Alternatively buy three keyboards that sound promising and try out which is the best. After all, specs don't really tell much useful with keyboards and even reviews may not be much help.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
For the love of god, please use an epomaker keyboard rather than a keychron. Epomaker has a variety of keyboard formats, good construction, affordable prices, hotswappability and QMK/VIA compatibility. I've never had a problem with them.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Oh, I was digging through some old pictures and found this cursed one:

Up top is my old daily driver: a Magicforce 68 (remember when these used to be super popular like 7 years ago?), with MX Clears and SPRiT 150g springs.

Below is just some dumb thing I had, which is a BigKeys LX with an aftermarket keyguard (these keyboards were intended to be used for industrial environments), but I replaced the stock switches with 280g Tai-Hao APC (Alps-compatible) clicky switches for reasons.

It is probably the worst keyboard I have to attempt to type on.

280? I made a gimmick board with Kailh Box Ancient Greys (which are 100g) and it takes some serious effort to type on even though I have pretty strong hands. Do you have to lean into each keypress or something?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Nestharken posted:

280? I made a gimmick board with Kailh Box Ancient Greys (which are 100g) and it takes some serious effort to type on even though I have pretty strong hands. Do you have to lean into each keypress or something?

The BigKeys is awful to type on for reasons not necessarily related to switch weight. It's just a big dumb ortholinear keyboard with giant keys meant to be used with gloves and poo poo (it was also marketed towards people with vision impairment, and there was a more colorful version aimed at kids). The enter key has like 3 stabilizers on it because it's so big. With the keyguard on, you can't slide your fingers from key to key; every keystroke is a very deliberate press and finger lift. With the keyguard off though, typing wasn't really an issue keypress-wise, I would just get hung up on the ortho layout. It's just a dumb meme board I would bring to keyboard meetups for laughs.

TBH, after using that Magicforce with 150g springs as my daily for like a year and some change, 280g really doesn't feel that much different. That Magicforce did ruin my scale for how "light" or "heavy" a switch is... I have a tendency to just hulk smash any switch below like 100g because I got so used to pressing really hard constantly, even years later.

Also in case you were wondering how much weight it takes to activate one of those Tai-Hao switches, here's a coin test (and those are quarters):

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

LionArcher posted:

Mode. I swear, posters here are so hooked on Keychron when they sound not great at best, are a poo poo company and all
That. It’s your keyboard. Have it be a good tool that will
Last you the next 10-20 years and are easy to fix if you need to. Mode is sitting right there. (They are more expensive but will last you ten years). Need an extra PCB? Mode. Need other parts to change it up? Mode. If they don’t have the size profile you want, I get it.
It’s both a great endgame and the only keyboard you’ll really need. The envoy is their cheapest and a great board. The sonnet is my daily driver. I can’t wait for the new 65 to arrive.

And thanks for the poster who said my post and the other one should be the new beginning of the thread.

I actually think I really like the sonnet, was looking for a 75. Does it have any backlighting? I can’t tell from the website but it’s not a deal breaker. I type in the dark loneliness a lot and can’t find the “:” and “(“ key by touch. Otherwise looks like exactly what I was looking for.

gnatalie posted:

by god, that's mode design's music :vince:

I think I like the mode. Rexxed the model F looks quality too but I just can’t handle the size, it being compact is kind of important to me going from the Logitech one with a full 10-key and macros on the left. The things just too drat big. Those frames are giant.

Think I’m gonna go with the Mode unless anyone hard sells a ducky 75 with the lighting. Now to agonize over switches and caps :( seems like this thread likes gatereon switches?

vaginite fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 30, 2024

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Yiggy posted:

After having done some homeworking recently, I’d say 500 will probably cover most any keyboard you’d consider absent some really high end bespoke stuff.

Some manufacturer options you haven’t mentioned trying but that are considered “gaming” keyboards and that I keep running into generally positive reviews for are wooting and Asus. And while I’ve encountered positive reviews for asus boards the impression I get is that you can find comparable features and quality on a cheaper budget and that asus is extracting a gamer tax for the label. Their gaming boards both boast the use of special switches where you can set the action point and also the software will register partial presses/depresses as unique keystrokes which lets you really spam the key. Reviews gave me the impression that the large majority of gamers aren’t going to be getting too much out of this feature, but if you play a game that spams buttons or that would appreciate the sensitivity of registering only partial key presses, those boards have that.

Alternatively ducky seems to have an array of suitable options and are positively reviewed as well.

Also thanks for this - these keyboards look pretty good but I’m kind of jonesing on the mode ones now.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
I'm looking to replace my TKL Varmilo with cherry brown switches with a 75% keyboard. My limiting factors are I'm looking for a UK layout (mostly the bigger enter key), and needs to be available in the UK for under £200. Hotswap would be nice, and backlight as well. I've had a look at the Keychron q1 and Varmilo Minilo, which both look good.

Any other suggestions? I also wouldn't be against building something, but not sure what is good and what isn't that's available in the UK.

Also any suggestions for alternative tactile switches? I've ordered a gateron sampler so that might answer it for me though.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

hogofwar posted:

Any other suggestions? I also wouldn't be against building something, but not sure what is good and what isn't that's available in the UK.
These seem to fit the criteria:
https://prototypist.net/collections/in-stock-keyboards/products/in-stock-mkc75-keyboard-kits
https://prototypist.net/products/in-stock-zoom75-october-batch

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 3, 2024

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

gnatalie posted:

looks like... ebay may be an option, although lemokey.com (where i got mine) says available soon. the mode sample pack is only $2; gazzew u4 are $0.65 each

Oh hey that's a much better price than I had seen elsewhere

Really hard to get a lay of the land when it's a million different switches split between dozens of retailers, all named like fruit candy or something you'd get at Starbucks

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Oh hey that's a much better price than I had seen elsewhere

Really hard to get a lay of the land when it's a million different switches split between dozens of retailers, all named like fruit candy or something you'd get at Starbucks

https://cannonkeys.com/products/switch-sample-packs

Cannonkeys has a few samplers for a reasonable amount of money too.

Once you get an idea of what you like (linear, tactile clicky) and roughly the spring weight you like, you narrow in on that. Otherwise, yeah, there's a huge amount of boutique switches these days with not so great descriptions.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Oh my God. VIA is a web app? :cripes:

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
yeah, which is fine. the source code is on github, and if you want to be a nerd about it you can build and run locally :)

i'd rather have this than some lovely electron app

vaginite posted:

I actually think I really like the sonnet, was looking for a 75. Does it have any backlighting? I can’t tell from the website but it’s not a deal breaker. I type in the dark loneliness a lot and can’t find the “:” and “(“ key by touch. Otherwise looks like exactly what I was looking for.

I think I like the mode. Rexxed the model F looks quality too but I just can’t handle the size, it being compact is kind of important to me going from the Logitech one with a full 10-key and macros on the left. The things just too drat big. Those frames are giant.

Think I’m gonna go with the Mode unless anyone hard sells a ducky 75 with the lighting. Now to agonize over switches and caps :( seems like this thread likes gatereon switches?

sadly no backlighting at all. it would be fantastic if they released a new pcb with key and under leds; one can only dream. that being said they're the cream of the crop. imo there isn't any nicer keeb around, barring some stupid group buy thing you get to wait 18 months for

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

You can totally download it and run it on your own computer. The experience is exactly the same. Being able to do it on the web is just convenient if you don't want to install anything or you need to configure something when you're not on your system.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Got a sonnet on the way, thanks for the advice everyone :)

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Looks like the OP is outdated when it comes to recommendations. My wife just broke the USB receiver for her basic HP wireless keyboard and she likes the feel of my mechanical keyboard (hehe) or at least the way more fancier ones that I showed her in a shop in Tokyo.

What's one/a few to consider for an intro board used for work? She writes lots of research reports and works from home. Maybe a wireless option in addition to wired?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you want wireless, you'll end up buying Keychron so just skip to that. Buy it through Amazon.

If you can live with a wire then Tecware is the best babby's first mechanical keyboard for cheap. Surprisingly well made for a $50 board, the keycaps just suck but those are easy and cheap to upgrade.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Royal Kludge makes some acceptable entry level keyboards too. They're wired/wireless. They come with the usual blue/red/brown switches but you can swap them out.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you want wireless, you'll end up buying Keychron so just skip to that. Buy it through Amazon.

If you can live with a wire then Tecware is the best babby's first mechanical keyboard for cheap. Surprisingly well made for a $50 board, the keycaps just suck but those are easy and cheap to upgrade.

That's the Tecware Phantom and the Keychron K#?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Try an Epomaker! They have all sorts of hotswappable models under the sun!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

KingKapalone posted:

That's the Tecware Phantom and the Keychron K#?

Sure is.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Looking at the Keychron v6 max (I like the full-size) and thinking brown switches. Nicer sound it makes, I find.

I’m aware of the keychron service issues and buying thru Amazon. Had thought about the Q but will just go with the V this time.

Got a razer black widow v3 right now and it kinda sucks. Leds are failing on it, the software is utter trash..

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

god please help me posted:

Try an Epomaker! They have all sorts of hotswappable models under the sun!

Except when you need an ISO layout, then they only have hosed choices.

Couldn't someone have come up with a way to arrange the switches and stems so the left Shift key could either use a wide Shift cap that covers two switches, or a short Shift cap along with the normal key left of Z. I can live with horizontal Return, but I can't live without the missing key. Most standard European layouts will have characters that are impossible to type if you're missing the extra key, and that's the real issue with ANSI layout.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
If you do want an iso keyboard, then try an Adam or a Lilith from kbd craft. There are optional numpads that can be placed on either side of the keyboard. https://kbdcraft.store/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The first niche keyboard and/or keycap maker to figure out that ANSI keyboards are literally garbage to most people on the planet is going to make loads e-m-o-n-e.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

who uses ISO outside of europe?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I had a cheapo ABS keyboard in a US ISO format, and I remember liking it well enough. I think cheap membrane keyboards go for a US ISO format for some reason that I don't understand, but don't mind. The big enter key is nice, and the most pretty keycap in a custom set is the ISO enter keycap, which I can't use because mech keyboards are obsessed with ANSI.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

repiv posted:

who uses ISO outside of europe?

Most or all of South America (including Brazil), French Canada, some former French colonies in Africa, possibly some places in India, and kind-of Japan.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

My new Keychron V5 Max is going well - but I do have one question that I hope y'all can assist with;

As currently configured there seems to be no good way to tell if the capslock or numlock are on; if I have all of the backlighting switched off and then enable one/both of those modifiers then those keys are backlit (which is fine) but if I have the backlighting on (which I do most of the time) then there's no change.

Is there a way to use Via so that enabling either modifier maybe sets the backlight to red or pulse or something like that?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

god please help me posted:

If you do want an iso keyboard, then try an Adam or a Lilith from kbd craft. There are optional numpads that can be placed on either side of the keyboard. https://kbdcraft.store/

these are lego!! what the hell

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
You are building your keyboard, and it's nice. :3: Alternatively, you could buy the keyboard pcb separately and put it in a case of your own, if you want. It's a nice price for an ISO/ANSI hotswap QMK/VIA keyboard.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

3D Megadoodoo posted:

ANSI keyboards are literally garbage

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It was a very poo poo move I agree. Vial is better anyway: https://get.vial.today/