Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
What's the quality on the Tao Hao PBT caps like? Compared to Vortex, for example. Also, what is the "Nano anti-biosis Anti-Bacterial coating" (http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_30560.html)? Does it affect the feel of them, or start wearing off after or a while, or anything like that?

Basically putting decent caps on my CODE has made me realise that my old Filco needs a facelift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

redeyes posted:

I got this "iKBC C104 PBT Full Size Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown Switch, Black"

Has browns and really nice fonts. Probably the nicest keyboard i've used yet. 90 bux

Browns have no high pitched click.. more a thunk. Very satisfying. Reminds me of the old Commodore keyboards.

If you ever get a chance to try Clears, try them out and see what you think. Combined with PBT keycaps, they give the most satisfying 'thunk*' I've come across so far.

*can we try and popularise the term 'handfeel' and see how far we get with it!?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

nice

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

What is the "Nano anti-biosis Anti-Bacterial coating" (http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_30560.html)? Does it affect the feel of them, or start wearing off after or a while, or anything like that?

OK, so a bit of research seems to indicate that everyone hates this coating and it makes the caps feel horrible. Yet Tao Hao caps are pretty popular in this thread and I don't remember seeing anyone complaining about the coating. What's the deal here? Is it not as bad as everyone makes out?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

betterinsodapop posted:

Yup, typing on a TKL Code w/Clears with backlit PBT caps from Vortex and it is fantastic.

Same, they look and feel so much better than the stock caps.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yep. If anything I think the backlighting works better than it does on the stock caps. The legends seem to diffuse the light a bit better, so that it comes through a bit softer and more even, a bit less 'shiny', but still more than bright enough.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Oh yeah, that's no good. The Vortex caps don't have that problem at all. Were those caps just a bit too thin, maybe?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

teethgrinder posted:

It's mostly the channels between the keys I'm talking about, the colour of it being a bit "off". Maybe its also reflecting a bit off the inside of the caps?

Ahh, I see. Yeah probably, it's got that white back plate to reflect off.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I do not understand it at all. I put off buying a Vortex set for nearly a year until the stock CODE caps were completely hosed, because spending ~£30 on some plastic caps seemed a bit extravagant for what they are. I don't regret buying them at all now, but I cannot imagine forking out as much as that or even far more on a single cap that doesn't event look comfortable to type on.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

axeil posted:

edit: Okay I think I may have figured it out. I always have typed on a keyboard that's on a slight incline and the keyboard lies really flat. Anyone have any good methods for elevating a keyboard?

I'd recommend you get used to typing on it flat - it's better for your wrists, however, if you do want to incline it, does it not have little legs you can extend?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

axeil posted:

It does not.

You could make some out of Sugru (https://sugru.com/)?

Seriously though, if typing with it flat means that your wrists are in a neutral position (i.e. straight line through your forearm, wrist, and hand, no bend at the wrist), then definitely consider getting used to that. Your future self will thank you for the lack of carpal tunnel syndrome.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
What switches do you have in it, and what keyboard are you coming from? In what way does it feel weird? I don't remember having to go through much of an adjustment, really.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

axeil posted:

Cherry Reds and a plain old Microsoft membrane keyboard. Part of me thinks that maybe I should've gotten blacks but I want to stick it out for a few weeks in case I need to adjust.

I honestly think its the flat/tilted thing but it just felt kind of weird to me at first.

I'm not personally a fan of linear switches - I prefer tactile or clicky. Whenever I've tried linear switches I miss the lack of feedback that the switch has actually actuated. Perhaps you're missing that - membrane boards do have a slight bump to them as you press the key and the rubber dome collapses.

That's the thing with mechanicals, the different switch types do have a distinctly different feel to one another.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

teethgrinder posted:

For me I'd say Clears are less "impact" ... I don't bottom them out easily like blues or browns.

Absolutely this. Browns I bottom out a lot more. If you look at the force curves for the two, the browns require about 55cN to actuate while the clears are at 65cN, so not massively more. There's a lot more difference after actuation, the browns only increase to 60cN through rest of the travel while the clears ramp up steeply to 100cN. For me that means I can type on them with just enough force to actuate but rarely bottom out. The extra resistance sort of cushions it. But I can't quite that get that right with browns and they bottom out a lot. It probably depends a lot in individual technique though.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Those caps though 😍

(and cattes)

chippy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 15, 2017

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

redeyes posted:

come on now, clears can't be THAT much better than browns

dammit, now I need to buy a board with clears because I love browns

I mean it's obviously a matter of personal preference but for me they really are so much better. My first keyboard had Browns and it was ok, but I couldn't really see why people made such a fuss about them. But as soon as I tried Clears I loved them. That little bit of extra resistance just makes the feel so much better. In particular I think it's the fact that they're only slightly heavier than browns until the actuation point, and then it increases steeply and becomes a lot heavier. That extra resistance after the actuation adds a bit of a cushion to me that helps me not to bottom out. It's like a bit of extra tactile feedback in addition to the little bump.

My CODE with Clears and Vortex PBT caps is like typing nirvana right now. Every morning when I start work I'm a little surprised by how good it feels.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah, the main difference between that and their CODE is design ... but the painted ABS caps on the CODE are really lovely. Seems really strange for something marketed as premium. They're thin & cheap feeling, lose their texture quickly, and eventually the black just rubs off and leaves lit up smudges.

I think something about the backplate or the way the switches are mounted is different between the standard WASD board and the CODE, as well. I don't know what, specifically thought.

Those stock CODE caps are lovely. They were ok at first but they shine so quickly. I don't know why they don't supply them with better caps. I get that PBT is niche and harder to make but they could at least have used some better ABS caps.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Lowness 72 posted:

So if the CODE caps are so bad, can you customize the same options on a regular WASD board and then add better caps?

No, you can't get the backlighting on a regular WASD.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

The Deadly Hume posted:

For people who want a nice PBT set for a standard layout board without spending heaps of money and then waiting 30 years for them, the Tai-Hao purple/grey sets might be worth a look. There's a few nice options, the black on black mods actually look pretty great.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tai-hao-purple-pbt-doubleshot-keycap-set

Bugger it, no ISO :smith:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Gave my old Filco Majestouch a bit of a facelift with a clean and some new caps over the weekend.

Album for anyone who's bothered: https://imgur.com/a/oKWwm5E

(Yeah, I know it was gross. It hasn't been cleaned since I got it about 9 years ago...)

chippy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 5, 2018

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Montalvo posted:

Those caps look great!

Bumpy Johnson is correct, they are Ducky Horizon PBT. I'm super pleased with them.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I bottom out constantly with MX Browns unless I really concentrate on not doing it, but not with Clears. I think it's the fact that the resistance ramps up quickly after the actuation point, it kind of provides a cushion to stop you doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

buglord posted:

Yeah I figured. I dunno. I’m kinda set on the blacks because with my old Das brown, the sound of bottoming out still made the keyboard loud. It was nearly impossible to train my fingers to only apply actuation force.

I bottom out with Browns but not with Clears, the extra actuation force on them makes a lot of difference because it ramps up steeply after the bump. My Filco Majestouch with Browns types significantly louder than my CODE with Clears (which I love).