Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
There were a surprising number of people in the discussion section of that Massdrop stating that the last batch had very poor QC and many had returns and refunds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

clamiam45 posted:

You and me buddy.

I know what the words mean but which cherry models do the terrible tactile, clicky, and linear correspond to? I've used brown, clear, and green for reference.

Brown and clear are both tactile with no click, while green is a clicky tactile switch. Both green and clear are stiffer switches.

Edit: I think red and black are the linear models.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Anyone know what sites will ship to Canada with minimal hassle? I have too much money apparently and so am thinking about purchasing some keycaps to replace my ugly CM Storm Rapid ones.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
That's all great to know. Thanks guys. Especially the thing about Massdrop.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I just bought a poker 3 with clears, and I hope I like them more than the browns I have in my CM Storm Rapid. Also gently caress I cannot believe I just spent that much on a keyboard.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
drat, I'm stupid. I accidentally ordered (and just received) a key cap set that is for a different layout than mine from AliExpress/KBFans, has anyone had any luck purchasing replacement keys?

Basically I ordered this: https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/327...rry-MX-Switches

But I have a CM Storm which is a standard ten keyless. So i got 1u modifier keys (when mine are actually 1.25u) and a 1.5u shift when mine is like 2.75u, so I need to get replacements.

I'll contact the seller but if they can't help I guess I'm screwed!

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I don't think that keyset would have the right-sized keycaps you're looking for. If you can't return it and get a refund, your best bet to recoup would be to sell the set.

Alternatively, it's time for a 70% keyboard in your life :v:

I have a Poker 3 coming in the new year but it also don't have the right layout :(

I'll try a return :(

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I finally got my Vortex Poker 3 with clears and I really like it! The clears are significantly more satisfying than the browns I've used, even if I'm about 15% slower. The smaller layout (60%) is taking me a while to get used to but I really like it.

I'm using it at work and am finding the stabilizers a bit noisy, a bit scratchy, so I'm gonna lube em up.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Pumprag posted:

Weird idea, but don't buy a luxury object if you can't afford it?

Having a limited budget for a keyboard doesn't mean he can't afford it. Some people just don't want to spend a lot of money on something like this. I don't know if that's the situation for the quoted user, but personally I hate spending money.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I love my poker 3 but man it's hard switching back to typing on my TKL keyboards. I love using i-j-k-l as arrow keys sooo much. I love not having to move my right hand to start highlighting and moving lines and stuff, even if it feels a bit ridiculous to have to hold down three modifier keys at a time to get this all done in sublime. It makes me want to move my Poker between work and home but that seems egregious.

Additionally the actuation force feels fine to me now but I still notice how much faster I can type on my TKL with Browns.

I tried using and AutoHotKey script to simulate the 60% experience at home on my TKL, but it doesn't work great with modifier keys, so I can't highlight eg whole words or lines at a time like I can with my poker 3.

Maybe I need to buy another 60%...

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

teethgrinder posted:

I love my Pok3r, but coming from a Poker 2 I've just had a hell of a time getting used to the new cursor locations. Having them over WASD was simpler for me.

You could always program it to match. Won't line up with your key cap legends though. This reddit guide might be useful: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/35uy60/guide_howto_program_your_pok3r_programming_layers/

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Okay I've made my mind up, I need a new programmable keyboard for home. I keep trying to use the Pok3r capslock layout on my TKL at home while programming and it's messing me up!

I am okay with going down to a 68-key, but anything without arrow keys is going to be a struggle for my partner so nothing smaller (so getting a second pok3r is out). Also I accidentally bought a PBT dolch* set for 65%-75% keyboards for my TKL so it'd be great to not have to live with that mistake any longer.

So basically I need a 65-75%, programmable keyboard. I need to be able to user the Pok3r capslock layout. Do people here have any suggestions? Know any keebs that meet these needs?

* : https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/keycaps/products/94key-dolch-pbt-oem-profile so

Edit: I should add that I live in Canada, so anything available here is a huge plus since customs will increase costs by like 20%

Brownie fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 8, 2018

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Thanks for the suggestions people, I think I'm going to go for the Tade68, and maybe put zealios in them?

I love my cherry mx clears but they do slow me down a bit in comparison to my cherry mx browns, but the bump in browns is too subtle. I am hoping zealios will be a better option then either. Do people here have experience with them?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Constellation I posted:

Yeah, they're awesome, super smooth and has a nice sharp bump for the 67g's. I'd recommend the 67g variant and the most recent iteration of it (round 8 I believe) A huge gripe I have with them is the absurd price though. But if you have money to burn, then go for it.

If you're looking for something somewhat like the Cherry MX Brown but with better everything and a more distinct bump, the retooled Kailh Browns (not box) are also pretty good. I now prefer it over Kailh Pro Purple. Those are like a quarter of the price of Zealios last I checked.

Hmmmm yeah i might get the Kailh Browns from NovelKeys instead. I didn't realize that the zealios were sold at $4.25 / 5 on KBDFans, though it was / 10!

Thanks guys!

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Boz0r posted:

That actually looks pretty good, if a little expensive.

EDIT: How about Cooler Master MasterKeys S. Are they good?

I have a Cooler Maser Storm Rapid TKL, which I bought in 2015 or something. It's okay, it was very good value and has a nice soft plastic frame. The ABS keycaps it came with were pretty crappy, with distinctly raise legends that I found maddening. Also the space bar is sort of loud.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Eric the Mauve posted:

Clears are browns but better in every way why do people buy browns?

I have both and like that other user said, clears are noticeably more fatiguing to type on. Also I am about 15% slower on clears.

That said, the bump on browns is just too soft, which is why I'm trying out the Kailh browns that someone suggested earlier.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
What exactly are the differences between Box and not Box Kailh switches? Is it just keycap compatibility or is something else?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

f#a# posted:

It's that time again, when I have an aging rubber dome keyboard I bought for $10 and briefly consider, then turn away from, mechanical keyboards.

I am hoping for a recommendation, let me know if I can provide anything else. Requirements:
  • Full 104-key layout. Media/volume keys are a plus, I wouldn't mind losing the nav cluster for this need.
  • Quiet as heck. I often play games while the wife is asleep in the same room.
  • I like the tactile bump of rubber domes. I could see going MX Clears, but need help figuring out how bad o-rings would be on them (see above point). Are topres quiet?
  • No fancy gamer fonts. The more refined the keycap design, the better (the G413 Carbon is the holy grail for me here)
  • I don't particularly care about backlighting, but it would be a plus.
  • USB.

Mostly, I am surprised that I cannot find a reliable study of how loud an average rubber dome is compared to different types of switches.

I can't speak to how loud it is but I feel like the Code keyboard fulfills the rest of your requirements. https://codekeyboards.com/

Also I put o-rings on my clears and they don't do anything because I'm never bottoming out, and almost all the noise comes from stabilizers and the upstroke of the keys. On browns it had a more substantial effect because I bottom those out more frequently.

Brownie fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 7, 2018

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I just built a tada68 (with Kailh browns, very nice) over the weekend and hosed up by soldering before I had clipped in the switches and desoldering as a huge pain. But I sort of realized it's easier if you have a huge glob of liquid solder, so it is doable.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Just got an email from WASD that says they’re gonna start selling CODEs with zealios.

Whoa how much is that going to cost?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Ynglaur posted:

Why are the other tactile non-clicky switches considered better than MX Browns?

I own Cherry MX Browns, Clears and Kailh non-box Browns.

The cherry browns are my least favorite for the same reasons others have noted. There's a lot of travel before you hit the pretty subtle bump.

The kailhs have a stronger bump that's higher up in the travel, you hit it almost immediately. I haven't had a chance to really program on them for hours yet though.

The clears I use at work and really like, but it's taken me months to not notice how stiff they are. Additionally they still feel a bit scratchy compared the kailhs.

For me the cherry browns are probably at the bottom of my list.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Does anyone have any experience with the MAXKEY SA key cap sets?

They are all double shot ABS plastic, which I'm afraid will feel cheap and get shiny in no time. I've got two PBT keycap sets: really cheap ones from KBDFans, that I like a lot, and the ones that came on my Pok3r which are good. Both are way way better than any of the ABS key caps I've used, but I don't know if that's just because those sets were cheap and lovely ABS*.

*: The two sets are 1) caps that came on my CM Storm Rapid and 2) WASD key caps that a friend has

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll buy em then :getin:

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
So my MAX KEYS Miami SA doubleshot ABS set came in today and it feels great! Really happy with it on my poker 3 with clears. So thanks for the help guys, you were right and these key caps don't feel cheap at all.

I also bought KBDFans 63 switch tester and it's loving awesome. The Kailh BOX clicky switches all feel pretty amazing, especially the novel key ones.

ugh i'm going to be so poor because of this loving hobby weird obsession

Edit: here's a picture

Brownie fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 18, 2018

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

drat those are some handsome keycaps.

Would you like your keyboard in the OP?

Sure! That'd be great.

mewse posted:

Aw man that's the new miami nights isn't it. I'm trying not to spend more money :sigh:

It is! They feel and sound great.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

mewse posted:

You've got the new legends from the new maxkey molds. You have BACKSPACE instead of BACK SPACE and a bunch of other tweaks like ESC instead of ESCAPE (I think).

I know that the original run also had problems with certain legends having the wrong weight as well, like "O" was way thinner. This set doesn't have this problem!

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

mewse posted:

Will kbdfans have slightly cheaper box royals or are they novelkeys exclusive?

This doesn't answer your question, but weren't the box navies supposed to be NovelKeys exclusive too? I was surprised to see them on kbdfans as well.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

internet celebrity posted:

Just got my first sculpted SA set and they look great but they kind of suck to type on. The extreme angle of the row 1 keys makes me press them off axis and they feel like they snag a bit, especially backspace. Row 1 also wobbles a lot from the height. I spent a good bit of cash on them so I'll probably try to convince myself that I like them but man am I disappointed right now.

You might be able to resell them and make most of your money back, but yeah that sucks. You can try /r/mechmarket on Reddit and see if anyone bites

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Does the gmmk have any programmable layers? I checked their website and didn't see anything regarding it. I don't think I could go back to using a keyboard that didn't let me use the poker 3 layout, but hot swappable switches sounds wonderful.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Wow that looks really great.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I’m in the market for stabilizers, do people have any strong opinions on which ones are best? I’m replacing the ones currently on my keyboard, and it looks like they are PCB mounted and screwed in.

I’ve used the stabs that KBDfans sells and I’ve found that they constantly slip out of my spacebar, causing it to get tilted when I hit a specific side of it. It’s actually very frustrating!

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

G-Prime posted:

What everybody else said. I use a Pok3r at work, and the default layout on the function layer is so nice that I aped it on my CTRL and K-Type.

Yeah the pok3r layout ruined me and I now only use/buy programable keyboards that let me use the same layout. It really is awesome for coding to not have to take your hand off the home row to move around the code.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Yeah I post here whenever it comes up: after getting a pok3r (and using caps as fn) I have a really hard time programming on standard keyboard layouts. I’ve made sure that every keyboard I’ve bought since then was programmable and I configured the keys accordingly. It’s such a great layout. You’ll get used to it really quickly, and if you’re a touch typer you’ll find it’s much faster than having to take your fingers off the home row.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I have a board with Box Royals on it and they stretched the stems out on my Maxkeys Miami SA set. I'm going to get a new set of (cheaper) keycaps to put on that I'm less attached to, but I feel like no matter what these switches will probably break the stems. It's a long shot, but anyone here know of which key caps might be safe with Box Royals?

As an aside, I find these switches to be pretty bad. They all feel like totally different switches, and some have a pretty audible click. Definitely the only keeb I regret buying.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think the question you should be asking yourself is not "what keycaps" but rather, which switches should I get next.
Aside from hating the inconsistency and sound, oh and them stretching your caps, do you like anything about them? How's the weight? Do you like the tactility?

Honestly I need to use it more. I've only used it a handful of times before finding out the issue with the keycaps, and haven't used it since, which is part of why I want to buy new caps. I _want_ to like this thing. Not sure what to do with this thing if I end up hating everything about it. Maybe throw out the pcb + switchs and replace it with box jades.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

qnqnx posted:

Wasn't that an issue with earlier production BOX switches? Asking in case I may put on pricier keycaps on mine, I'm some GMK Metro clones that also felt particularly snug sometimes and chalked it up to a production issue and PBT, on a keyboard with BOX Royals and some Navies
How much did it take your Royals to get clicky, may I ask as well?

A handful of them had a soft audible click immediately after purchasing. I noticed it day 1.

The keyboard is a custom one I bought from KBDFans. The case is like solid aluminum, and the pcb is the dz60 or something.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

qnqnx posted:

I've noticed the inconsistent noises but just one or two resembling a click, been using this keyboard since November.
Maybe they will even out over time.

I'm good then, ordered the switches last year, no nubs or anything. I'm really liking the Navies and it would have been a shame to replace them.

Yeah this is from the first run of Royals, unfortunately. I'm less bothered by the inconsistency in sound (which is annoying) as I am with the inconsistency in feel. Some of the keys have a much "larger" tactile bump, and I'm not sure if it's the angle or what.

The more I think about it the more I'd rather just ditch the whole thing and not be bothered. Now to obsess over which switches to use instead...

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Paul MaudDib posted:

going from 104 key to TKL, I keep faking myself out by jabbing the bottom right corner of the keyboard and thinking that it's a return key when now it's an arrow key. how do you people live like this

I have the reverse problem and try to use caps lock + IJKL on every keyboard only to trigger some insane hot key I've never seen before instead of the typical arrow key function that's second nature by now.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I recently assembled a board using a up the DZ60 RGB v2 v2 which has those hotswappable kailh sockets, and I'm encountering lots of weirdness with it. Sometimes keys just won't respond until I switch the RGB mode, and at least one of my keys stopped working because the tension in the socket copper leaves wasn't strong enough to push the leaves against the switch leads (I was able to kind of bend them back in the place, and bent the lead a tiny bit, which seemed to fix it). Has anyone else encountered similar issues with their hot swap boards?

Other than these issues, I'm really happy I got a hot swappable PCB. I initially fitted it with some Gateron yellows and while they were nice and smooth, when I briefly switched back to cherry browns, if felt like a bit of revelation. So I think linear switches just aren't really for me, at least not combined with the texture of ABS. I'm trying the Box Jades out now, and enjoying it, although I feel like I need to build up callouses on my fingers or something! They are surprisingly stiff, I can't imagine trying to type on Navies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's a weird pcb. I have problems with the eeprom getting wiped or reset and sometimes the LEDs just randomly change.
I've rebuilt it several times and tested the switches beforehand so I know that's not it. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers and using different usb cables but the problem still randomly occurs. It's not frequent but once every few months it still happens.
Also it has a real bad day if it gets shocked, so I've just stopped using that board in the winter when it's dry and I wear puffy jackets or things that cause static.

Yeah the RGB mode seems to change randomly on me as well! Good to know it's not just me, thanks. Kind of annoying that these issues exist though.