Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

sarcastx posted:

Thanks for the suggestions all; will have a play around with VIA to see what all I can do with it.

The spring replacement is a solid idea, heh I even have some springs from my espresso machine to adjust the group head pressure that might fit
I don't have a fixie but having a customized mechanical keyboard and modified espresso machine must make me some type of identifiable fuckwit for sure

Doing some reading around, I've seen the suggestion of throwing the spring from a ballpoint pen into a switch. Most of the heavier replacement springs you can find for keyswitches are in the 100-150g range. A ballpoint pen spring is 1kg equivalent. That would ensure you never press that key unless you absolutely loving meant to.

Hell, I might do this for my capslock since stepped capslock keycaps are an endangered species these days and accidentally pressing that key is annoying as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The issue isn't the function of the key, it's that every single keyboard I've used prior to getting my Ducky has had a little nub missing from that key to create extra space between it and A, and most mechanicals have decided that's not a cool thing to have.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Gearman posted:

Stepped Caps are alive and well in the custom keycap space, but unfortunately they're almost always part of a large base kit that runs $80+. I hear you, though. I use stepped caps on all my boards, though on most of them I've got it set to Winkey instead.

I got a replacement keycap set, and guess what? The stepped keycap requires the Capslock switch to be mounted in an offset position to be used, so that "option" doesn't exist for most keyboards I see for sale. I possess a stepped keycap and I cannot use it.

There is exactly one place on the internet that sells center-stem stepped capslock keycaps, and they only come in non-translucent white letters on black plastic. so I either have to specifically get a keycap set that matches it, deal with my capslock key being a different color from every single other key, or just deal with my non-stepped key.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Llamadeus posted:

It does need a board that supports stepped caps lock, some custom boards have the option of both stepped and standard on the same PCB

Every hot-swappable board I've ever seen has the switch in the standard position, so if you want that feature and stepped capslock you're out of luck.

That's why putting an incredibly stiff spring into the switch sounds reasonable to me. It's one of the few solutions available that is universal and doesn't ruin the aesthetics of the board.