Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I find myself wanting to pull up Notepad and MSPaint on short order all the time to where Win > N > Enter and Win > P > Enter isn't quick enough.

And then I remembered my amazing awesome Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard has 5 programmable shortcut keys which can, among other things, launch applications.

Sooo good now! If only this keyboard were available with mechanical switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A tiny bit of liquid sprayed onto my Microsoft Natural 4000 and now multiple keys don't work, so I guess it's dead.

Any suggestions for replacements? I really like the ergonomic split keyboard design, I absolutely need the dedicated volume/mute keys, the dedicated calculator key is just as useful, and the programmable top row of keys means I can launch Notepad and Paint with 1 button which is extremely useful.

With all that in mind, should I just get another Natural 4000?

edit: Best Buy has them for $25 so I'll probably just get another. Part of me wants to buy a backup but that's kinda insane at this time. On the one hand, keyboards do wear out and this one is especially susceptible to liquids, but if it lasts me 4 years like my current one has, it's also reasonable to expect that my preferences might change or Microsoft might come out with an updated version, and even if I don't like the new version, I could buy another 4000 at that time.

$25 though...

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 16, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rexxed posted:

If it's got a lot of features you can't live without you should buy four at that price. You'll be hard pressed finding your list of stuff on another keyboard in the future that's not some kind of specialty ergonomic model with programmable keys. It will not cost $25.
I ended up getting 2 because 4 just seemed hoarderish. The Natural 4000 is already 12.5 years old so they should easily last me until the next product update. Just for comparison, I broke out my old Microsoft Curve 2000 this morning and while it has an ergonomic curve, dedicated volume/calculator keys, and 3 quicklaunch keys that can be reassigned to notepad/paint, the non-split design feels cramped and the "normal" keyboard tilt is noticeably worse than the negative tilt of the Natural 4000. I used to be a fan of short key travel, exclusively being a laptop user, but I guess scissor-switch is different enough from standard membrane because the Curve 2000 bottoms out much more and it's horrible.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've had a Microsoft Natural 4000 for 6+ years now (I'm on my 2nd one after my first one died to a spill). I love it for typing and it's good enough for my light gaming needs. Especially nice are the calculator button, the volume/mute controls, and I have 2 shortcut keys set to launch Paint (for cropping/saving screenshots) and Notepad. Is there a "nicer" version? I'm mainly looking for better tactile feedback.