Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Chikimiki posted:

Hey keyboard thread! I'm looking for a good basic keyboard with function- and media keys, nothing too blingy or expensive. I'd also like it to be quiet. Main use surfing and some gaming. Any recommendations for those criteria? I'm currently using a cheap dell keyboard, but I really liked my old thinkpad's tiping experience. Apple's full keyboard seemed good enough , but function and media keys are not distinct, plus it's expensive. Logitech G213 was another candidate, but I hate the gamer bling, and I'm afraid of the noise of those mechanical keys :ohdear:

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm over a month late, but here's a very quiet and non-mechanical keyboard I like:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00426HI8U/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This Kensington Slim has scissor-switch keys (like your old ThinkPad!) and several media and function keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Not a mechanical keyboard, but this might fit the bill: http://matias.ca/aluminum/backlit/

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

oh heck yes, I've been pining for that Godspeed set ever since I got into this mechkeeb game (three weeks ago)

Too bad the SA Max Ashen set isn't part of this re-cap though

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Aww, but my parade was gonna have astronauts in it :(

This evening, at a friend's birthday dinner, there were some generic chocolate cupcakes. I had one with royal blue icing, and the first thought I had was how the color combination of near-black brown and Platonic-ideal blue could make an interesting keycap set.

what have i gotten myself into

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

The Deadly Hume posted:

You might get lucky with the Godspeed SA ones though. Because they took so long to get done they had people opt back in or withdraw from the drop, but if I recall they didn't change the production numbers so there are probably a few leftovers. So you'll need to be on the button (and definitely work out your preferred sets beforehand) but it's worth a loo

Hope I'll get lucky :pray:

Already set my sights on the cockpit + modifiers sets. If not that, then the more-expensive combo of solar alphas, modifiers, and novelty caps should satisfy me.

oh poo poo guess i should try to get the calculus set too for when i inevitably get a ducky pocket to go with my tkl

:shepspends::homebrew:

please help

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

mewse posted:

This is live. Just ordered Dasher SA for my upcoming tada68 build

That was a bit of a shitshow. Had my Godspeed Cockpit and Modifiers on order, chose PayPal, hit Join... then it never stopped loading.

Tried again after a minute this time with CC payment, and the Cockpit was sold out :( but I was able to get Solar Alphas and Novelties in a third attempt, which actually saves me some money. I wanted regular modifiers but the Godspeed key, but I guess I'll just have wacky modifiers instead! :v:

eta: Ooh, perhaps I can make use of the AYY LMAO key to commemorate this madness

eta²: Uh oh. I just got PayPal confirmation that the payment for the first order went through, but I do not have a Massdrop order confirmation for that. Time to email customer support to tell them to fulfill the first order if they have the Cockpit and cancel the second, or refund the PayPal and fulfill the second order if there are no Cockpits left and lol yeah right I'm hosed aren't I

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 27, 2017

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Be somewhat glad you didn't. I now realize the sets I was able to purchase don't include the F-keys :haw: so if my initial PayPal order doesn't go through I have a pile of keys I can't really finish a keyboard with

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

ugh ugh ugh

I thought this Massdrop annoyance would be it for me re mechanical keyboards, but now I am reading articles about DIY keebs

what did you do to me, thread

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I know, I should've listened; I should've believed that it could happen to me, but I was young and brash and now must pay the price for my hubris

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Got a Varmilo VA87M with Gateron Browns as baby's first mechanical keyboard. The actuation force is surprisingly light, so I am getting used to that. No accidental double-input or anything, and my fingers feel less tired typing now, so that's great.

Going from a Microsoft Sculpt, my typing experience feels a little cramped? I guess I can get used to typing on a regular-shaped keyboard, but now I'm also looking at ergonomic split mechkeebs. I hear a lot about the ErgoDox and Freestyle Edge, but I would really like one that would most likely have custom caps out there. Seems like many sets have (had) ErgoDox-compatible caps, and the Freestyle seems to be 95% regular keycaps, but do you guys have any other recommendations?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Ergodox advice

Thanks :) Looks like I'll be saving up for an ErgoDox EZ then :shepspends:

Unrelated, any other Varmilo VA87M owners able to swap the Caps Lock and Ctrl keys? According to the manual I just need to hold Fn+LCtrl for 3 seconds until the Caps Lock light blinks three times, but it never blinks and the function never swaps. Is this actually not a feature of this keyboard, despite the manual claiming thus?

http://www.varmilo.com/resources/upload/software__20170804151948.pdf

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Thanks! I live in Houston TX

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

forkbucket posted:

This is probably a super dumb suggestion, but did you try fn + caps (instead of control)?

Yup. It just turns on Caps Lock :v:

Thanks! I'll check them out

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Someone outbid me for Godspeed Modifiers. I hope they're okay with paying ~$130 for them :gonk:

Anyone in this thread have a set they're thinking of letting go by any chance? :v:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

A Star Trek keycap set designed with help from GeekHack.org keeb dweebs you say

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/tv/a28904/star-trek-keyset/

I like Star Trek and custom keycaps, but... I'm not sure I like this set that much. Artisan keycaps also fail to appeal to me, and the bronze Galaxy-class starship is still no exception.

maybe there is yet hope for me

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

My first keycap purchase: SA Godspeed Solar Alphas and Novelties arrived in my home mailbox from Massdrop without incident:

had a heckuva time figuring out which arrow keys went on which row

Should be getting the Modifiers set delivered straight to my office tomorrow.

unrelated: ugh this is so bad https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-combat/

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 9, 2017

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

foutre posted:

drat that makes me excited for mine to arrive, looks great! Post pics when you get it all put together please.

:getin:

I originally wanted Cockpit + Modifiers, but I later found out that the profile of the Cockpit set is much flatter and less SA-ish. Turns out it was a good thing that the Massdrop fiasco prevented me from getting that and instead forced me to the Solar Alphas, which have the traditional SA profile.

I also installed the WASD 40A-L O-rings on this. Typing now somehow feels more responsive, and the keyboard is significantly quieter to the benefit of my open-plan office mates!

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Phosphine posted:

Is this a problem with only this model or Leopold in general?

I'm thinking of getting a Leopold FC660M with MX Browns. Not sure I want to get into keycaps but it'd be nice to not lock myself out.

Looks like that model will also have issues with keycap sets. The main problem is the bottom row of keys, including the spacebar. Most keysets are compatible with this layout (courtesy WASD Keyboard keycap compatibility page):

See the bottom row. It has seven 1.25u modifier keys around a 6.25u spacebar (the image doesn't show this, but that is the "standard"). Your Leopold looks to have a 1.25u, 1u, 1.25u, spacebar of indeterminate length, and two 1.25u keys in the bottom row, so you might have trouble replacing that 1u Windows key.

Also, if you look at the WASD Keyboard keycap compatibility page linked above, it seems to indicate the Leopold spacebar, while apparently being the "correct" 6.25u length, is not compatible with the standard 6.25u spacebars that come in custom keycap sets. Maybe there's something else about the construction, like how it uses a stabilizer, that prevents it from working with custom keycaps.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Have you looked into the Varmilo VA69M with ISO layout? Not sure if you're located in Europe, but Candykeys.com sells them:
https://www.candykeys.com/product/va69m-custom/

eta: oops, that order page will group your order in with a bunch of other custom orders and send all orders at once to Varmilo on Dec 20, 2017. Then, Varmilo builds the boards and ships them to CandyKey (I think), then they ship it to you. Long lead time, but might be worth it if you don't need a 60% keyboard tomorrow

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 10, 2017

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Maybe you would be interested in a Pok3r ISO keyboard then? It seems like it has the layout you're looking for.

The secondhand market seems to be your best bet for getting one now... There seem to be a few EU folks selling theirs in r/mechmarket, like this guy in Germany (hopefully it has not already been sold)

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 10, 2017

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

You can add the following Varmilo ANSI keyboards:
VA68M
VB68M
VA87M
VB87M
VA104M

I hesitate to add the VA108M, as this is a standard 104-key ANSI layout but has an extra four 1x1u keys above the numpad functioning as media keys. Not all keysets will have four extra 1x1u keys, let alone ones that make sense to put there.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

What's the general opinion of Qisan Magicforce numpads? Now that I have my TKL the way I like it, I think it's time to get a separate numpad. Looking at this one now specifically to match the switch type and sorta the colors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MZ4Z2DK

and of course spend a pile of cash to replace the keycaps

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

teraflame posted:

I like this numpad and its fully programmable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NPKC-Progr...ZeuoubgrLomkP6Q

You'll need your own keycaps though.

Ooh, this could be made to do exactly what I need it to. No better time to learn QMK than the present, too.

From their description I'm not sure how I'm supposed to tell them which case color I want, but I guess it'll be an adventure finding out :)

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I'm liking how the Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro M looks, and the programming and LED features sound like a nice bonus. What's the consensus on the quality of Cooler Master keebs?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

was in off-site training all week, and i really missed my keyboard

this is what i am become now

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I couldn't bring myself to bring my thocky keyboard and subject virtual strangers to the noise :(

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

G-Prime posted:

Linears exist to solve that problem. Tactiles if you're really into that. But clicky switches are for heathen monsters who have no respect for others, or people who live alone.

My keeb is a Varmilo VA87M with Gateron Browns. I've added o-rings, but lol oops they don't really do anything for the SA-profile caps I use :v: It's still fairly thocky compared to my office's standard Logitech rubber-domers or especially the Microsoft Sculpt I used to run as my daily driver.

edit: following this advice on r/MechanicalKeyboards I've ordered some more, thicker o-rings from LWPL, so I guess I'll see how that goes

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 17, 2017

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I can and I refuse to feel shame

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Just finished a pretty great two-week support saga with Varmilo. My VA87M was not able to switch the Caps Lock and Ctrl keys for some reason, and I found a Skype link on their website. Not expecting much, I hit the button and sent a message on a Friday afternoon, US time. Surprisingly, a few days later I get an actual response from Cynthia Chiu, based in Shenzhen, China. Long story short, over the course of two weeks of IMs left for each other I get a new firmware to flash, and now my keyboard functions as expected.

A++ would keeb again

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

This hobby has definitely probably brained my damage. I've actually registered a Reddit account and actually joined a Massdrop drop despite the warnings above and on Massdrama

Oh well! v:v:v

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I thought $450 artisan caps were ridiculous, then I learned about LZ keyboards

and of course I had to decide my endgame would be an LZ-Ergo

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

eh, worked for me on the Microsoft Sculpt, and this is only mechkeeb I've seen that's remotely similar

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Maybe someday I will get into the ErgoDox mania...

lol someone in my town is trying to letgo of his https://us.letgo.com/en/i/ergodox-configurable-ergonomic-keyboard_d55cea90-cd5e-4427-b6a3-df5a518f540d

I currently have a Varmilo VA87M with Gateron Browns. I like the typing feel, and I like that I can swap Caps Lock and Ctrl. However the setting gets reset every time I undock my laptop, and sometimes it takes a couple times to swap the buttons again. A very minor inconvenience, but I'm looking at the MK Disco now, and it has the following tempting features:
  • DIP switch to swap CapsLock and Ctrl
  • RGB backlight with single-color mode and multi-color mode, plus more patterns like reactive (which tickles my fancy)
  • Other macro recording stuff that I probably won't ever use but is nice to have

I am concerned about this KBT switch though, having not heard much either way about them. Also, with the LEDs in the north position, my SA keycaps will probably negate any cool backlighting effect as opposed to the south-positioned LEDs on my VA87M. Finally, the Disco does not appear to have any media keys. All Fn combinations are to control the backlighting effects, but to be fair I hardly ever use the volume control on my current keyboard anyway.

Anyone have experience with the Disco and can provide their opinion on it?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

$150 for an ergodox EZ with the tenting kits is a really good deal so long as it works.

and so long as the face-to-face sale goes smoothly :v:

I'll have to pass though now that I've spent $ohmy on the following mess:

https://imgur.com/a/mf2gk

The reactive LEDs on the Ducky Pocket are making me think about swapping in the VA87M for a Ducky One RGB now...

There was a weird bug in the firmware for the Pocket where assigning the = key made it output a weird keycode, so it wouldn't output = in Windows but would in Linux. Luckily, flashing the latest firmware fixed it, and that was also really easy to do from their website.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I only succeeded in completing my set by haunting r/mechmarket, checking literally every waking hour or even more frequently.

edit: here's a link to search results for Godspeed sorted by newest that I :f5:ed a lot: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/search?q=godspeed&sort=new&restrict_sr=on

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 25, 2017

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Is there anything I should be aware of when ordering dampeners that will prevent me from annoying people when bottoming out?

Just look at the most sold 2 bucks per 110 from Ali Express?

If you have Cherry profile or OEM profile keycaps, then yeah any cheap-ol' 1.5mm thickness O-rings should do well for you. However, if you have a custom keycap set made by Signature Plastics in SA or DSA profile (like I do), you'll find out too late after buying a set of O-rings that a single 1.5mm ring under each keycap does bupkes for stopping bottoming-out.

I followed this advice for my SA keys and bought some thicker O-rings from LPWL. His help page also recommends using just one Thick O-ring or XXL O-ring per DSA key.

In fact, I just got the O-rings in the mail today but haven't installed them yet. I'll let you know how it goes after following the above redditor advice.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

I currently have the stock pok3r keycaps installed since I’m waiting on the Godspeed XDA drop. I guess that similar enough to DSA so I’m eager to hear how does thicker o rings work for you!

Looking at the photos and info in this reddit thread about XDA caps, it looks like you might just need a 3mm O-ring per keycap. The thread says they're 1mm taller than DSA caps, though this doesn't really say whether they are 1mm deeper on the inside where the O-rings go. The stems don't have the crossbars as seen in OEM/Cherry caps, though, so I'd guess going with LPWL's recommendation of 3mm O-rings would be a good start.

If that doesn't stop bottom-outs enough for you, I guess you could try a 2.5mm + a 1.5mm per cap.

edit: I've installed my variety of O-rings per the advice on reddit for rows 2 and 4 so far, and it's noticeably quieter on those rows than 1 and 3 with no rings. I don't really notice a difference in typing feel, either, so that's good.

The muted keys are about as quiet as a crummy HP/Dell rubber-dome keyboard, but the typing feel is the same as before. I think this is a win.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 27, 2017

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

How long did it take/how annoying was it to adjust to using other layers for the F-keys? I use them a lot in my daily work.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I know it's Massdrop and all, but the Kailh BIG Switch amuses me. Not sure I'd use it for much more than a desktop fidget toy, but the more creative engineers out there might be able to make something interesting out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Map your overwatch ult to it. It's the best possible application.

My brother mains Tracer, so I guess it would make sense to get him the yellow linear one. I don't play Overwatch at all, so I only barely understand what's being discussed here v:v:v

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm looking for a keyboard with a num-pad with Cherry MX Blues that isn't super ricey (non-backlit preferred) for under $100. What should I get? I'm not looking for the most quality keyboard, just for something to bring to work that doesn't suck.

Just noticed no one had answered this yet. Here are a couple I found on MechanicalKeyboards.com that might fit your needs.

Cherry MX 3.0, from the OG manufacturer of the switches everyone knows and loves

Leopold FC900R. I've never used a Leopold myself, but all the internet chatter I hear has been positive.

Finally, if you're willing to stretch your budget to $120, I can recommend this Varmilo Z104M based on my experience with the VA87M and their customer support.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 3, 2017