Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

mewse posted:

Do you just shotgun beers on the porch when the raid takes a pee break

I strictly shotgun beers on the deck.

I've never had a problem with spilling drinks on my desk tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I plunked down $110 for a walnut then a few weeks later they announced that for JUST AND ADDITIONAL $30 they'd add a battery.
tha gently caress? how was it supposed to work wireless otherwise? Apparently they expected you to connect it to a battery pack.

Hahaha, they couldn't have wedged a laptop battery in the bottom?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Just buy a new one then.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean I have tossed Dell rubber domr keyboards in the dishwasher at work and they were just fine.
...just don't leave it on the heated dry cycle. That does bad things.

Yeah, rubber domes survive a dishwasher (no heat dry).

On that note, after 10 years or so the caps on my Leopold TLK are all shiny and smooth. I guess its time to find some new ones.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

RichterIX posted:

If I'm not a big keyboard guy and just want to try something marginally better than the OEM Dell keyboard I have at work, is something like the cheapie Redragon full-size with the clone reds on Amazon good enough for something like that?

I grabbed a monoprice tkl for like $30 on sale. Wanted to see what brown switches felt like.

Honestly, it's not terrible, especially for the price.

Myself, I still prefer blue switches. Next up is to try green.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
This should clear it up for you. Shows actuation force, travel and clicky/tactile.

https://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

hbag posted:

my GMMK pro should be shipping soon i think
now i just need to worry about how im going to keep that poo poo clean because it's not a floating-key board and i cba to pull all the keycaps off every week

Sup keyboard buddy.

Just got mine slapped together today. I have been using two old Leopold FC200RT as my daily drivers (one at home, one at office) for over a decade now. The Leopold's both have Cherry MX Blue switches.

I got the GMMK with Gateron Blue (also ordered a set of green). I am loving this so far. Much quieter than the old board, higher pitched sound while typing, but zero complaints. This thing feels sturdy enough to bludgeon someone with.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So my GMMK Pro died little while back. Wouldn't boot into the firmware recovery mode (even using the button on the back).

Glorious support was actually pretty good to work with, sent a prepaid shipping label, replacement just shipped out today.

While tearing down the keyboard to send back, I was breaking all little tabs trying to remove the switches, any idea why?

There are all Glorious branded Gateron Green switches. The majority of them broke like this when coming out.

I was using a switch puller like this. No amount of wiggling would get almost any of them to pop (maybe 4 removed smoothly).

None the less, I ordered some new switches to try (Kailh Box Navy) as well as a different switch puller (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006C4BCAK/)

Unsure if that puller I was using is just dog crap, or the switches were crap, or the mounting on the board itself?

Thoughts?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I did try gently squeezing, these things wouldn't budge.

I'm honestly thinking the board mounting was just too tight.

Once I get my RMA back (already shipped), I'll do some testing. New puller also got delivered.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Well, the Kailh Box Navy switches feel like they are alot stiffer than Gateron green switches I had in before them. Unsure if I'll get used to them or I'll be throwing something else in.

The quality/actuation/smoothness of them is great tho.

Since I got a hotswap board, I've already purchased 3 sets of switches. What is wrong with me.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Unsinkabear posted:

:hfive: I just bought two complete keycap sets so I do a proper test of DSA vs Cherry to find out which I like more... even though I won't even have a keyboard to put them on until probably May.

See, I have not even started messing around with keycap profiles yet.

Thanks for giving me another rabbit hole to dive into.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Unsinkabear posted:

I need something cheap, hotswap, and non-garbage to drop switches and keycaps into while I wait for Keebio to roll out their next Sinc revision. Did Keychron pull their head out of their collective rear end yet?

I was eyeballing this thing to throw some of these extra switches I have in.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09J7RLM2C/

No idea on the quality, review seem alright (if you know what you are doing).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

NocnaShada posted:

Can anyone suggest switches based on me REALLY liking Kailh box navies and jades, but want them to be as silent as possible?

I was primarily using a board with box navy. Grabbed a new prebuilt with epomaker budgerigar switches.

Similar feeling, lighter, super quiet.

Have not tried them side by side in the same board with anything else yet, but I doubt this cheap board is this much quieter than my gmmk pro.

Here's the setup I randomly grabbed.

https://a.co/d/bzwF2D4

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Gearman posted:

Closest you'll probably find it's something like the Boba U4. Unfortunately, in order to get strong tactility, like Box Navies and Jades, you get a lot of noise from the bar click. A switch like the Boba U4 won't feel as tactile, but it will be incredibly quiet.

Those are on my list to test out. I've been "pro clicky" forever, tried MX browns years ago and hated em.

I guess I start dabbling more into tactile.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

NocnaShada posted:

I've never heard of the budgerigar.

Yeah, me neither, just randomly rolled the dice.

I'm not upset with the outcome.

LionArcher posted:

They are the best key switch in existence. I have them on three boards, and by summers end it will be 5

U4T is also on my list. Is 65-68 cents a switch the standard going rate?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The term you are probably looking for is macropad.

I don't have any recommendations tho.

Edit: ooo, you were looking for a full keyboard with like a macro pad on the side.

Logitech has the G915, which is the only one I recall seeing recently.

Moey fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 19, 2023

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ihmemies posted:

A separate small macro button keyboard would be ok too. Maybe even one with custom programmable leds. I’m sure no one makes those though.

If detached and (mostly software) customizable is what you want, embrace a product driven from streamers need for showmanship.

https://www.elgato.com/us/en

One of the stream deck models may make ya happy.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I was just looking at these a week or so ago. Been using a 65% as my daily for a few months and was curious about adding a macro pad.

Ended up just grabbing an Epomaker EK21 to play around with and see if will get any actual use out of it.

So far no, because I always forget it exists. But I'm down with the idea and am going to keep chasing it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
68 key is where I currently enjoy life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

kung fu jive posted:

everyone out on a saturday night, living it up

me, sat at home: GIVE ME SOMETHING TO TYPE

I’m seriously in love with how this keyboard sounds. Glad I found this hobby and this thread.

Pretty sure drug addictions are the cheaper route.