Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

adary posted:

Last but not the least is this little thing

When I got it it seemed like a great idea, but i guess it's hard to teach old dog new tricks, and i find it extremely hard to use it (for now)

I picked up a split ergo recently (rgbkb sol 1, secondhand) recently for very cheap, and it changed my life. Genuinely hard for me to use anything else now, combined with a trackball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

The problems I ran into with split ergo is that there's a decent amount of options out there, but :

a) a bunch you need practical skills (mostly soldering) to finish the build
b) a lot a terribly expensive

I understand the price tag on them, but compared to say a 60% or TKL layout with a lot of now cheap options to at least try the layout, it feels kinda poo poo to throw someone at a wall and tell them to spend 200+ dollars every time they want to try a new one, usually before keycaps or switches.

Realistically point a) isn't too big of a hurdle to get over, it's mostly point b) that makes it a bit harder.

That said, like I said earlier, poo poo changed my life. Not having to move your hands as much feels great to me. Hell, the Alice layout keyboard also does wonder for me. YMMV

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

It's all personal but honestly even for me an Alice layout still does me wonders. I still think that split is probably better, though it depends on preference, etc etc, but not having to get my drat hands essentially on top of each other makes a noticeable difference.

Really noticed it when I tried to mix and match usage of my Planck with my split / Alice. Like I can feel the strain. Though I'll say that getting used to columnar was very easy for me to adjust to.

(Personally getting a trackball is what helped me the most with my back pains, but using something that is more "ergo" in design in terms of keyboard certainly did not hurt)

Small (semi related) rant, but I feel like WPM is greatly overblown as a measure of how good of a fit a keyboard is for someone. It just seems to be the end all be all (together with sound) for a keyboard and I gotta ask, why??? Most people that talk about this seem to be people who press wasd because they play video games almost exclusively with their keyboard. Like yeah if you're a programmer or a professional typist but like I don't understand why your WPM matters so much if all you play is League of Legends and the 10 2 sentences emails you write per day????

Taffer posted:

As a professional computer toucher,

this made me laugh a lot thank you

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

That's good to hear, I've had some issues with their controllers (very minor and not even worth ranting about) but if their keyboards are good, then that's nice, especially at that price point and with those aesthetics.

What profile are the keycaps it comes with? It seems to be a high profile like SA but I can't find that info anywhere on the specs

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm relatively new to mechanical keyboards so I don't know what profile is what, so here's a photograph I took:

I'll have to agree with mewse and say that just straight up looks like SA. If so, kind of a very good deal at the price point that keyboard is at, because a a good set of keycaps in SA profile can run higher than the whole rear end keyboard they're selling :v:

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 22, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I don't know but I want it.

e: just looked at the price. I was honestly expecting like a thousand bucks, but this seems to be within range of expensive-ish custom keyboards? drat. Might gently caress around

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 25, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I feel the need to ask what you need a keyboard that strong for... as said by other people, a wired keyboard will last you a long time, unless you like hit it with a hammer or something. What is the use case you're looking at?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

The hardest part for hotswap kits might be having the correct screwdrivers on hand, if you don't usually do DIY stuff - the rest is fairly easy, usually.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

If I wasn't a baby bitch I would learn colemak

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Before people can make recommendations, are you ok with DIY solder kits or do you want prebuilt? That factors heavily into the price.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

If you don't mind soldering, then maybe a lily58 or a solfie58, depending how many keys you need on the thumb cluster.

Other than that I think the Iris could also be a good rec - if you can't be hosed to solder, there is a pre-build builder that will let you pick option but will still run you half the price of the Ergodox. Maybe other people would have better / more suggestions than I do, most split keyboards I can think of are ortholinear, personally...

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

People posted good options above but yeah if staggered is your pick of choice then that does severely limit your options of split keyboards. I gave mostly recs that were orthogonal because they simply weren't orthoLINEAR (because my mind equates split orthogonal as staggered please do not ask me how that works)

I will say that you lose a big chunk of the customization aspect if using a basic split staggered though, such as tenting, or having a more custom key layout that you make yourself (which I mean you can but you're using a staggered 60+ key split keyboard, what key customization would one even need from that?)

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 10, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Alice layout slander is not tolerated in my household (but the dislike for it is respected)

Death to laptop keyboards however

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

No pricepoint that I can see so we have to wait for the kickstarter I guess?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Ah cool so you need to go out of your way to buy extra keycaps for your keyboard. Nice.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah it looks funny but I'm not committing to the bit at that price tag, unfortunately

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Anyone use a mixture of switches on the same keyboard?

Frequently yeah, might use switches I like but not as much on keys I don't use frequently so I can save the ones I like for say, alphas. Or as other people said, to know if I accidentally pressed a different key (like caps lock, etc)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

god please help me posted:

Got a question: do you fellows think it'd be worth spending $12 on those little rubber silicone feet that come on the bottom of a keyboard to replace one of the ones that fell off and is making my keyboard wobbly? Customer support is offering to sell me the exact same type of rubber foot as came with my keyboard originally, but $12 seems kinda like a ripoff for only two pieces of silicone (that are taller than normal rubber bumpers, admittedly, but still).

You could always try regular taller bumpers and if you dislike it go for the 12$ replacement, no? I mean it's more money ultimately but shrug.

Also of the opinion that if you like that keyboard you should go for it tbh

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

So I had a bit of a uh mishap, wherein I dropped a keyboard, and it smashed a key on the bottom row - right control. Unfortunately, it's a prebuilt from ducky (mini 3) with no spares for the bottom row. Thankfully, I ordered some keys for a different keyboard not long ago that kinda fit it?

I kinda like how it turned out, it's not the exact same profile of keys, but I made the best situation out of me essentially spaghetti handing my keyboard straight to the ground... I kinda like it a bit more than the original, because it feels a bit more customized...

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Also vouching for the Ducky One 3, one of my favorite keyboards that I own. Just a fun little thing. Only downside I found is that if you want to remap keys you kinda can't and that stinks!! (mostly an issue for layers which honestly I figure if people buy a 60% in the first place they aren't using the keys but still worth mentioning I think)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

You can find a prebuilt of your choice (some will have default keycaps, some won't have any, some will just be the plate and you'll need to add both switches and keycaps) and just replace what's on it. Then it would just come down to your choice of keycaps that you can source from anywhere when you find a fun set you want

For example Keychron has the Q6 for 100%, then you can just replace keycaps. People in the hobby don't really like 100%s though so they're a bit harder to find, although not impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Other than big companies like Razer they are usually made to order or have limited stock as to not sleep on them forever in most instances. That might've changed in more recent years as more and more companies are entering the market as mechanical keyboard retailers vs hobbyists making more custom keyboards