Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

MrMoo posted:

So if Kalih is worse than meh, that doesn't suggest WhiteFox is going to be stellar if they rate it as a good alternative to their own new switches:

I now feel better about getting on this the first time, although i still feel guilty about paying so loving much for a keyboard

i got it with blues though and can't help but wonder what the clears feel like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Has anyone got any experience with flashing the firmware for keyboards that use firmware from input club? I have a whitefox and am pretty content with it, except whenever it's power cycled the LEDs default to 100% brightness. Why anyone would put LEDs on a keyboard with completely opaque keycaps (with non-standard sizing, so it's not as if you can easily swap them out) is beyond me and I think it looks gently caress-ugly, hence I've bound a key combo to turn the lights off, but I have to do this every time they come on. The only information I have on defaulting them to off comes from this post, which points to a file to edit and mentions 'compiling your own firmware'. I can't find any mention of how to do this on google - does anyone know how I'd go about doing this?

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 12, 2017

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Nondescript Van posted:

https://github.com/kiibohd/controller/

github should have everything you need.

thank you!!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

teraflame posted:

What are you talking about? Matias has literally been working on manufacturing pbt keycaps alongside the release of their 60%.

oh poo poo this looks awesome. i'd totally pick one up if it wasn't 300 dollarydoos. that and i already have a whitefox and an apple adjustable keyboard that i need to get an adapter for.

incidentally i was surprised to learn that the adjustable keyboard has pbt keycaps, totally bums me out that i still can't use it

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

My old cheap keyboard died recently so I went and bought an MK Disco Brown PBT. I would be happy with it except I ran into three issues. The biggest is that the left alt key does not seem to function at all, no keypress is detected by windows. Also the space bar appears to be attached at three points, the switch in the middle, and two smaller switch-like things on each side, but it doesn't actually stick to the one on the left, so it levers itself up anytime you hit it on the right side, which is unfortunately where I always hit space, so it slams into the base of the keyboard louder than all the other keys. Also I found random stickers with arrows on them inside the left control key because it felt kind sticky, I guess hidden stickers are a good reason for that to be the case...

Hopefully the mechanicalkeyboards.com people can get me a fully functional keyboard, because the combination of tenkeyless, brown switches, and the PBT caps for a reasonable price is great, and I love how if I leave all of the lights off it is very plain and subtle.

keyboard megathread: i like how if i leave all the lights off it is very plain and subtle

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That has always seemed pretty expensive to me. I mean, sure, he had to make a mold, but come on, $50 for a manual waffle iron? It's $70 at regular price, and that's just ridiculous.

fwiw i think his market research of 'nerds who have too much money' seems pretty sound

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 22, 2017

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

everyone in my office uses blues but we also all have headphones in to listen to twitch

what on twitch could possibly be worth listening to

listen to podcasts or bbc radio 4

Megalixir posted:

Estimated ship date is Oct 2, 2017 PT.

no thanks

The Pok3r RGB drop was meant to be SHIPPED on the 25th of July. No idea what is going on with Massdrop these days.

if you're not prepared to pay frankly insane amounts of money for poo poo that's going to arrive months late then massdrop is not the place for you

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 30, 2017

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Megalixir posted:

Wow hey yeah cool thanks for the pro tip. If you had actually read what I wrote you would not be replying with this. This is not my first time using Massdrop. This item was supposed to be shipped on the 25th of July.

i read what you wrote, my point still stands

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

LionArcher posted:

People who will have RSI issues in about 5 years.

Thread, I watched mike hurelys twitch stream this morning and saw the jo1 keyboard and now I must have one. Any word on another run? (Exploded arrow keys, and function keys on the left plus pen rail is so, so good).

jerk off instruction keyboard

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

If that's not enough, Boba U4s are the closest I've gotten to "Thinkpad, but with more travel distance." You won't find them in many premade keyboards, though. =(

like on the x220? that was the best keyboard I’ve ever used, desktop or otherwise. how do they manage that? completely different mechanism, no?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

bolind posted:

i'm looking for simple wired keyboards that resemble the Apple A1243 but doesn't cost €350. Any candidates.

https://matias.store/products/fk418btlb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Has anyone used this?

https://www.8bitdo.com/retro-mechanical-keyboard/

It’s ridiculously cheap on amazon, like £85. Cheaper and more featureful and looks nicer than the equivalent keychrons; dye sub pbt and everything. I have one of their controllers, it’s built super well. Looks like it would be great to throw in my bag for when I go in the office.