Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Volguus posted:

Bought a Corsair K70 Lux RGB some time ago to replace my 5 year old Das keyboard.

Look at this guy who acts like a Das keyboard needs replacing after 5 years because he's not ready to come to grips with the fact that he just can't resist buying a new keyboard

it's okay man, you're surrounded by friends here, we understand :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I fully expect my Unicomp to outlast me

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

redeyes posted:

Minus coke, coffee, and margaritas. Ask me how I know.

If I remember right, if you spill a margarita all over your Unicomp and can't clean it out yourself, for like $40 you can ship it to them and they'll clean/fix it and ship it back. Cheaper than buying a new keyboard and I mean if you're posting on this thread then you have 8 other keyboards to pick from.

If you're an American then one of the best things about Unicomp is that their entire operation is located in Nowhere, Kentucky and staffed entirely by a handful of English speaking humans. If you have a problem they get poo poo done real fast.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

This thread has an unhealthy fascination with Cherry switches.

They're adequate if you're not man enough for buckling springs :clint:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Clear is the correct answer if you absolutely insist on using a keyboard that doesn't announce your presence with loving authority.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you absolutely must go ultra cheap then get a board with scissor keys, they're bad but not nearly as bad as rubber domes.

Those logitech keyboards with flat chiclet type rubber dome keys are the nut low and it makes my soul hurt to watch them proliferate through low end offices

e: For what that linked keyboard/mouse costs you can get a rock bottom mouse and one of those Qisan keyboards with the cheap Otemu browns, which are very bad compared to Cherry switches but still waaaaaaaaaaay better than that MK520

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 8, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Koskun posted:

So a few friends of mine are getting annoyed with the response they have on their wal-mart special keyboards and I made the suggestion they look into a mechanical. They don't mind the click sound, and one would use it predominately for WoW, her husband for WoW and regular typing. Having a numpad would be good for the husband, eh for the wife. Backlighting I don't think they care about one way or the other. They will need to have arrow keys however.

I'm thinking mechanicalkeyboards.com would be the best bet for them, as I don't want to recommend anything Razor, and Corsair might be a bit above what they would want to spend initially (if they get hooked, that is something else).

They won't care about replacing the keycaps either.

Price I was thinking would be 60-80 bucks US.

So keyboard thread, what would you recommend?

Friend, you must share the good news of Unicomp with them and bless their lives forever

e: This keyboard is listed on the reddit guide to cheap keyboards and it is what I am typing these words on right now. It's not a das or anything but it's impressively solid for the dirt cheap price of $40.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 11, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Chikimiki posted:

Hey keyboard thread! I'm looking for a good basic keyboard with function- and media keys, nothing too blingy or expensive. I'd also like it to be quiet. Main use surfing and some gaming. Any recommendations for those criteria? I'm currently using a cheap dell keyboard, but I really liked my old thinkpad's tiping experience. Apple's full keyboard seemed good enough , but function and media keys are not distinct, plus it's expensive. Logitech G213 was another candidate, but I hate the gamer bling, and I'm afraid of the noise of those mechanical keys :ohdear:

Thanks in advance for your help!

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Backlight-Magicforce-Qisan/dp/B01HHTFSIK

That's what I'd go with. I think Gateron switches are still well regarded as the best of the cheap Cherry knockoffs. Downside is it doesn't come in black, far as I know.

Personally I prefer clears over browns, but browns are still spectacular compared to rubber dome mush.

If $70 is still more than you want to spend you could try this one which I don't know anything about except it's well reviewed. There's also its somehow even cheaper (30 freakin' dollars!) tenkeyless cousin.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's a basic human need to be a snob about something

It should not come as a shock to find the SH/SC keyboard thread populated mostly with keyboard snobs

I'll hang up and listen

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

wolrah posted:

1. What's the cheapest keyboard worth buying (as in decent quality) offering backlit keys on tactile switches? This is for a KVM station so any advanced features that depend on drivers won't be usable. I just want something better than the Dell generic rubber dome that's there now. TKL is fine but it must have an actual F-row, no Fn+whatever crap. I like Cherry brown switches but I'm OK with blues as well, or any clones in that same general area. I've never tried clears.

The EagleTec boards on Amazon are the best you can get under $50. They're built surprisingly solid and the switches aren't Cherry but they're adequate.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Let's not get carried away surebet, anyone who buys anything except pens at Staples deserves to be pointed and laughed at

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Not that it's relevant but true story, I'm an inveterate pen nerd who probably owns or has owned 100 different pens from 10/$1 papermate sticks to a $120 fountain pen. The extreme high end pens are cool for the novelty and :smug: value, but the fact is that for everyday writing that feels good and looks good, the world's best pen is the relatively humble Uniball 207 gel pen, bold point, that Staples sells for usually 5 pens for 7 or 8 bucks.

OK I'll stop interrupting our regularly scheduled keyboardnerding with pen commercials.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My keycaps finally came :3:

So did I :swoon:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

and of course I had to decide my endgame would be an LZ-Ergo

Friend, there is not now, and there will never be, an endgame.

In fact that would be a good name for the 2018 keyboard thread: There Is No Endgame.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm looking for a keyboard with a num-pad with Cherry MX Blues that isn't super ricey (non-backlit preferred) for under $100. What should I get? I'm not looking for the most quality keyboard, just for something to bring to work that doesn't suck.

ColHannibal posted:

Unless you have a office with a door get clearsUnicomp.

Announce your presence with loving authority, my friend.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Holy poo poo. So I bought a crummy roll up keyboard. It feels awful but it's perfect for lightweight travel situations. I also bought an aukey mechanical keyboard because it was on sale. Typing feels great but I could not imagine how loud it is. It's as loud in real life as those fake typing sounds movies add so you know the hacking is getting serious.

So I have to know, is the clackening a byproduct of the keys feeling good, or is the volume purposefully increased?

Those are blue switches, you can get the same feel without the noise with clear switches, or a reasonable likeness of it with browns.

Some people LIKE our switches loud. (I am Eric the Mauve's Model M and I approve this message. :colbert:)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good time for a relevant quote from the OP:

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Buckling Spring

A beloved older design, the IBM Buckling Spring switch is a bit of an odd duck. Most mechanical keyboards use springs that compress under pressure. Instead, a buckling spring bends outwardly, striking the side of it’s housing when it reaches it’s required actuation force. The heaviest switch you’re likely to ever encounter, at a whooping 90 cN. And as a bonus, when someone tries to murder you for the racket these things make, you can use the keyboard as a bludgeon to murder them because they are built like loving Gameboys. Unicomp is the only company producing new buckling spring keyboards right now.

tl;dr the Unicomp is the loudest keyboard and also sturdy enough that if you play it right you can kill Drew in self defense and get away with it

Unfortunately the cost of shipping to Canada probably makes it a dealbreaker :sigh:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Romulux posted:

Yo, do you guys gently caress with any of the crazy inexpensive budget mechs that have been coming out lately? I just bought a fully mechanical backlit keyboard with Outemu brown switches and a metal back plate from Velocifire for $27 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS8YTYX (with code 43NROQKN)

My current keyboard is a WASD CODE 87 with Cherry MX Clears and white double shot PBT key caps. I bought it three years ago, when ~$100+ was the sweet spot for entry level mechs, so it's great to see the entry cost being lowered to the point where anyone can afford a decent quality keyboard.

LOL, everything in the product description is comedy gold, pretty sure they just used google to translate it all from the original Chinese :allears:

So yeah it's cheap, downside is if anything goes wrong with it there's no hope of any meaningful customer service from that company, you're just out the 30 bucks

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You can buy a standalone numpad for like :20bux:, that's how much I paid for one that even has knockoff blue switches

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

wolrah posted:

I'm in the middle of a project to resurrect my first computer, an IBM PS/1 from I think 1991. I recall it having a fairly clacky keyboard that my little brother and I unfortunately destroyed many years ago.

My memory of its appearance is most like the Model M2, and the fixed cable agrees with this, but when we destroyed it I recall it being really durable which it seems like the M2s were cheaped out so I'm not sure if this fits.

Anyone else have an idea what would have shipped with a US-market 25 MHz 486 PS/1 "Consultant" in the Windows 3.1 era?

Can't say for certain but it was probably a Model M2. Even that was super durable compared to modern keyboards. If it was some kind of cheap knockoff of the Model M2 then probably none of them exist anymore.

If you want an authentic one you'll probably pay out the nose for it, or you can just buy a Unicomp for $90 and it'll be very nearly the same thing. The Unicomp isn't merely reminiscent of the Model M. It IS the Model M, just with modern USB instead of PS/2 or pre-PS/2 connectors.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Clears are browns but better in every way why do people buy browns?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

pgroce posted:

I guess using Blues on a daily basis has warped my expectations?

Yes, this is what happened

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Keep working at it, my young friends, and one day you will graduate to God's Only Switch, the buckling spring :smuggo:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

What's the best easily available keyboard with clear switches under $200? Anything better than a good ol' CODE? Just sanity checking before I buy.

e: I should add that I don't give a drat about anything but how it feels to type on and how long it will last under heavy use, and that it will see office use so gaudy backlighting would be a bug not a feature.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 4, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I shipped a Model M back to Unicomp (from PA to KY so not far) via UPS and it cost about $15. A lighter keyboard cross country is probably going to be $20-ish.

You wouldn't believe how savagely UPS handles packages (and FedEx is even worse) so if you're going to ship an expensive keyboard make sure it's packaged very VERY securely.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Last week I had a $40 budget to buy a basic, non-clicky keyboard for office use and took a chance on this one from Tecware despite it having no reviews at the time (hey, it wasn't my money and even a bad mechanical is way better than rubber dome mush). Unfortunately it's up to $50 now, but I must say, I am very pleasantly surprised by it. It's Oetemu browns, which are what they are, but this thing is heavy and very solidly built. It also comes with a keycap puller and several extra switches (which makes me wonder how long they expect the switches to last, but we'll see). Not a common thing with cheap keyboards so a nice little bonus, especially for a Babby's First Mechanical. It also has a couple dozen different backlight patterns and like 7 colors to pick from, which I don't give a drat about but if you like fancy backlights, it's there.

The only downside, totally expected from a cheap keyboard, is the keycaps suck and are ugly. They're standard size though so once they've started to wear down (figure about 6 weeks) I'll switch 'em out for good ones. All in all it's a surprisingly good board for the price.

(I went with this one over the Velocifire because I like free floating keys.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Topre are just glorified rubber domes :colbert:

I'll be your tag team partner on this one, let's throw down.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Back on rubber dome chat, boards with oetemu browns or blues have gotten reliably down into the not much more money than a decent rubber dome range ($~40) and are way better than rubber domes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Clears are definitely the switch you want to use at work.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone make wingding keycaps?

Wow, I never knew how badly I wanted this until just now

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't think anyone has ever purchased a Model M for gaming

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The first time I spilled wine all over my keyboard was the last time I had any liquid at my desk ever.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

G-Prime posted:

I remind them that they feel virtually identical to a tactile of the same type, but they're abusive to their neighbors.

You say that as if it’s a bug rather than a feature

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hot take, if you habitually bottom out even on heavy switches then you should just use a $20 rubber dome keyboard and pour your money into a different hobby.

(Actually I find scissor keys are pretty nice for bottom-outers, but it seems like they’re getting rare except on laptops)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You sure the K740 is scissor keys? I've never used one, but can't find any reference to it in product descriptions and it looks like a thin-profile rubber dome (which is precisely what's become more popular the last few years in place of scissor keys, but scissor keys are way more tolerable to type on if you bottom out a lot, IMO).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think I might have posted about this six months ago or something, but it being Christmas season in the US, if you know anyone who's mech keyboard curious, the Tecware Phantom is a very, very respectable babby's first mechanical keyboard for $45. Very solid construction for the price, oetemu switches that feel better to type on than other oetemus I've tried (presumably because of the aforementioned better construction), there are a bazillion backlight pattern/color combos if you care about that (I don't and just leave it on solid white, but it's there), and they even throw in a cap puller and a couple extra switches (a rarity for cheap keebs).

The keycaps are ugly as hell, but pretty durable if you don't mind the look. They don't go slippery and shiny after 4 days of heavy use like a lot of cheap keyboards' caps do. All in all it's the best keyboard I've ever seen under $50 by far.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

sethsez posted:

He is, but the Tecware is still really solid for the price.

I've used both the brown and blue versions of the Tecware and it is far and away the best under-$50 keyboard I've ever seen. Not even close. No reason to think the red switches won't be just as good for the price.

The keycaps are low quality of course, but they're easily replaceable if you're so inclined, the build of the board itself is shockingly solid, the switches are bog standard oetemus (which seem to have improved in the last ~2 years) and it has all the backlighting options you could ever dream of.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Constellation I posted:

K70 will still be a bit louder since it's a floating keycap design, which means keyboard clacks are out in the open and not enclosed slightly in a case.

You can do a whole lot of crazy things to silent mech keyboards (o-rings, silent switches, silencing clips, etc). But if you really want someone to sleep through you typing on anything, then it's best to just get those rubber dome chiclet keyboards from Logitech. Probably best to use a wireless one as a dedicated night keyboard and stow it away during the day.

I agree with the major exception that if you’re going to use a chiclet keyboard, you want scissor switches, not rubber domes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Anything with red switches. As previously discussed the Tecware is unbeatable as a cheap Babby's First Mechanical Keyboard, or else if they're willing to spend some money just get a WASD or a Ducky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

A lot of bad advice in this thread, you should definitely use blues at work. Or better yet, a Model M. Announce your presence with loving authority.

spasticColon posted:

Well I guess I'm some kind of mutant because I had a Velocifire with outemu browns last year and I didn't like them for gaming or typing. They felt mushy/scratchy to me.

Scratchy? I've tried Browns a time or two that just felt not much different from rubber domes, but I don't think "scratchy" is a word I'd ever use to describe them. That might've been some kind of defect, maybe?