Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I picked up a Keychron Q1 on sale and threw on some Akko switches and keycaps. I've only had prebuilts and had barely used a keycap puller before so I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Keychron Q1 (original version?) with prelubed Akko Lavender Purple switches and Akko Dracula Castle keycaps. The keycap colours are actually shades of light and dark grey, sort of faded white and black. I was going for an old terminal vibe.

I am happy with how it looks, am still trying out how it feels. I like typing on this thing more than Cherry Reds or Browns but I'm still getting used to it. It's partly because I've gone to a 75% tactile from a fullsize Cherry Red Ducky, but it's also because this keyboard is a fair bit taller than I'm used to and I may have thrown my desk ergonomics out of whack.

I'm not sure I'm sold on modding keyboards yet but I am really impressed with QMK. I'm still playing around with Vial but the ability to map any key to any code, no exceptions, with multiple layers and options to access them - it opens up so much.

Lemony posted:

First is regarding keycaps. I've been trying to find caps in a blue/white/orange colour scheme. Kind of like Bento, but with sharper colours. Almost everything out there seems to be creams and pastels, which I'm not really into for this application. Any suggestions?

Secondly, every so often my spacebar sticks slightly. It only seems to happen if I'm rapidly tapping or feathering the key, like while playing certain first person games. When it happens, lifting my finger and tapping again seems to unstick it. Any suggested fixes I can attempt? It's in the realm of mildly annoying, but I can live with it for now.
It's a different combo of blue/white/red and symbols but colourwise that looks a bit like Ducky's Bon Voyage which should work on an a tenkeyless format and may be easier to find at stores. I don't have those but my Ducky's PBT OEM keycaps have weathered extremely well for eight years.

I also had a sticky enter key when putting the caps on my Q1 and it turned out the problem was just it wasn't properly on one of the stabilisers - I could see when looking closely the key was slightly uneven. All I had to do to fix it was push it down a little harder over the offending stabiliser and now it's golden.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Is the GMMK 2 96 a decent choice (either barebones or prebuilt) if I want to try out a 96%/1800 layout keyboard? I don't care about RGB lighting and will be typing more than gaming.

The alternative would be something like an Akko which has a basic model that is cheaper but isn't hotswappable. I've ruled out keyboards like the Keychron K4 because I'd like some separation with the numpad rather than all the keys smooshed together in a big long block.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Thanks everyone!

repiv posted:

The GMMK 2 has the caveat of having north facing switches, which is an accommodation for :pcgaming: RGB :pcgaming: but can cause interference with Cherry profile keycaps
Just to check, the north facing switch issue is specifically with Cherry keycaps right? i.e. if I wanted to go nuts with trying XDA, DSA, SA, etc it won't be an issue?

Llamadeus posted:

There's also the Keychron Q5 if you want to go up rather than down a price tier.
I've got a Keychron Q1 and while it's nice I find it feels weird in ways I'm unsure about. I don't know about gasket mount but the all metal body just isn't for me. I guess I'm used to the plastic keyboards.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I've been won over by the 1800 compact format but with the separation gap with the arrows and numpad block - I think I would have the same key press problems with the 96% keyboards that are a single big ol' slab of keys.

I got an Akko 3098 in the sales and while the GMMK 2 96 is arguably better I think I like using the Akko more purely because it's bit shorter and that makes more difference than I thought.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

My current keyboard is a hybrid tactile/linear using Akko Fairy and Penguin silent switches and it's amazing how much quieter this is compared to standard switches. Just a gentle rustle and the clunk of the stabilisers.