Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I got me the unicomp model m so I can go SMACK SMACK SMACK as I'm typing, but as I left for work this morning I lamented two things:

1) I would not be able to use it at work, because I don't work from home (wtf??)
2) Oh god what happens if a cat throws up on it.

They've thrown up on keyboards before, but those have been cheap rear end logitechs I don't care about. This thing is a beaut and I extremely don't want cat puke on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Oh I mean I don't really have a problem using it at work on principle, but transporting it between the two locations would be rear end. I should hopefully be out of this job very soon though!

Keyboard covers sound like a good idea I wish I was smart enough to have thought of already. I'll see what I can find! Something cloth / washable would be neat.

I extremely do not enjoy cleaning cat puke off of electronics / the floor / anything. Prevention's better than the cure.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you don't want to disassemble/reassemble it yourself, you pay Unicomp about $50+shipping to ship it to them, they do it, and send it back to you.

And yes a keyboard cover is a good idea anyway, just to help keep dust out of it when it's not in use.

The cross border shipping every time a cat pukes on the keyboard will bankrupt me lmao.

Their purpose made cover doesn't seem too bad, at least if I have to go for long periods of not using it. I wanted an excuse to pad out a cart and get the tux keys anyway.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Gearman posted:

Might also want to consider swapping to sensitive stomach food for your cat. Had to do that for the dry food for my cat and it's helped quite a bit.

For cloths, Cannonkeys sells a nice microfiber that is designed to wrap around most keyboards, so it should be big enough for your needs: https://cannonkeys.com/products/white-microfiber-cloth?_pos=1&_psq=Cloth&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Doesn't ship to me but it's not like they're the only people with a 400x600 microfibre mat, surely, so gives me some extra keywords. Thanks!

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Exactly how tiny a keyboard are you maniacs using that a 6x4 centimeter cloth covers it

Extremely glad I am not the only one who just cannot visualise written measurements.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Let me tell you how good I am at math

You gave what SEEMED to be some pretty good advice in the negotiation thread but now I am beginning to doubt it

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

lmao the model M really is comically loud. My partner and I are usually in the same room at all times and as I was typing a post she asked if I was really typing or doing a bit.

I felt a little guilty and offered to explore options of reselling it or just sending it back to Unicomp - she implored me not to and also said "I also happen to have brand new noise-cancelling headphones so I can always just put those on if I don't get used to it"

Jeez hon, I am not going to expect you to wear noise-cancelling headphones every time I want to go on a rampant posting spree.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Rexxed posted:

I don't remember the source of this quote but regarding the Model M sound:
"That's the sound of getting poo poo done."

hell yea

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

I'd buy one from you

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Lol, I knew something like this would happen. I got the Tux keys from Unicomp, mostly because shipping costs didn't change and I was getting the keyboard cover anyway. I selected "Pebble", thinking that was a pretty good match for the keys I already had. There are no pictures on the website, so guesswork was all I could do.

Oh well, it's not a POOR match. And Linux is all different and poo poo I guess? Or something? Right? Justify this please?????

Nobody Interesting fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 13, 2024

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Wouldn't be Linux if something weren't a little wonky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Jesus christ this isn't going well at all. One of the cats is obsessed with the cover. She just bit it and pulled it off to play with it.