Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
It does work for some people :shrug:

I've been using my AT101W (with swapped switches when they wear out, because vintage switches aren't usually in mint condition) for 8 years now. It's all I use. I've spent a grand total of $40 on keyboard stuff in those 8 years, between the original purchase ($20) and two additional ALPS boards that I was able to scavenge a total of ~150 switches from ($20).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

NTRabbit posted:

Now this is a mechanical keyboard I can get behind, preferably with Cherry Syrup switches

That has always seemed pretty expensive to me. I mean, sure, he had to make a mold, but come on, $50 for a manual waffle iron? It's $70 at regular price, and that's just ridiculous.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Nondescript Van posted:

This was my first keyboard build. I knew the basics of wiring it up but I did some trial and error along the way as I noted in the log. There are other guides to building keyboards that do a good job and normally its pretty straight forward. All diodes in a row are soldered together in a single line, then the columns are put in and everything goes back to a pin.

The biggest pain is the firmware, since I have no idea how to parse the keymap that is made for this matrix so I can't easily identify how to change it. I'm working on though.

I think you can just use this tool to automatically make a firmware file for you.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I've been using the same 20-year-old keyboard for 7 years, and it's still working perfectly.

:shrug:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

Your next purchase should be Topres :)

The Keyboard Your Coworkers Won't Bash Your Head In With™

This thread has an unhealthy fascination with Cherry switches.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

ColHannibal posted:

I'm just here preaching the Topre gospel.

I'm an Alps devotee. Underused switch buddies!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

They're tactile, and I'm not a huge fan of the "smoothness" the creator seems to claim. They feel wobbly to me. I want a brick poo poo house of a switch that feels and sounds like it's built like a brick poo poo house on actuation. My needs are unique. :/

Buckling springs or even better, beam springs are the answer. Matias clicky are definitely more robust than any Cherry switch - that might be worth your attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Pumprag posted:

Weird idea, but don't buy a luxury object if you can't afford it?

I don't understand.