Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Hi thread! I've been sick of my OG GMMK for a while now and decided it was time to grow up a bit. I always knew about the hobbyist side of keyboards from an outside looking in perspective. I decided rather than buy another pre-built I would look at some of the build your own kits out there. As is my nature, I got sucked in by how cool and nuanced all of this is. I found the CannonKeys website and before I knew entirely what was happening I ordered a zoom98 and gateron oil kings. I found this thread and a build guide on reddit and now it seems I maybe jumped into the deep end because what I'm reading is that this is not a beginner friendly build. I'm now preparing myself for a challenge beyond what I had originally anticipated.

I found the VIA website and read a bit there, and watched some videos which were helpful. I have a deep technical background so I'm excited to stumble through this portion of the process.

I believe I found the json files on a Wuque Studios/Meletrix resource library page. The site looks a little suspicious? The url ends in .notion.site. I believe I'm correct in that this is a Chinese company so I'm giving a little bit of grace here, but not posting the link until I can confirm it's good so I don't break any rules or cause any problems for you fine folks.

I watched a YouTube video on lubing stabilizers since the Reddit post I found said the stabs included 100% need to be lubed. (Reddit post).

I have the non-flex cut PCB. I have no idea what foam to put in the build yet. All of it? I understand this comes down to preference to some degree. Still digging on that front.

The Oil Kings are supposed to be pretty good out of the box from what I read, but another item on my to-do list is to read about lubing switches. I have a friend in my local MtG group (these two hobbies combined will ruin me financially) who I just learned builds keyboards and their advice was not to go all out with applying film and lubing the switches. They said to test the board, get everything installed (the Reddit guide has a sensible method for testing for DOA and then installing it), and then install the switches and roll with it for a while. If I'm not liking it I can then look into film/lube/different switches.

Anyway, that's where I'm at currently. Any thoughts or advice are appreciated. I think I'm taking a reasonable approach to learning what I need to learn but I would be surprised if I was doing everything right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Thanks for the encouragement folks.

Framboise posted:

As someone who struggled through the build and setup of a Zoom98, the notion site is fine and I got my JSON from there as well. I had the hardest time getting VIA to work-- it simply just did not until it suddenly did a couple days later.

This is good to be aware of. I will try to be patient at this part. Thank you for validating that site also! Sorry the process was a struggle for you.

I am super stoked to get into the build process once everything arrives! Also, the wealth of knowledge in this thread is impressive. SH/SC strikes again!

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Framboise posted:

It's a challenging build, especially if you got the one with the LCD screen and/or the tri-mode PCB. Lots of teeny screws and the way it's all assembled is kind of a pain in the rear end, and the setup was not intuitive at all. It took me about 6 hours from box to caps (including time to lube all the stabilizers).

It's worth the patience though, it really feels like a big, sturdy, premium board.

Oy vey… I got the tri-mode with the LCD. Well, at least I know what’s up in advance, and that the payoff is there.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Framboise posted:

Lemme drop you some tips then. The instructions are pretty godawful.

1. Yeah, there are more holes on the back than there are screws. Just put 'em wherever they make most sense to you.

2. For some reason the instructions don't tell you to install the weight on the back until about halfway in. You can do this pretty much immediately.

3. Really consider whether or not you want the wireless capabilities. (Are you really gonna be lugging this behemoth around?) The batteries are a pain in the rear end to install and basically means the board is on 24/7 unless you actively put it to sleep. It says that it goes to sleep on its own, but I've yet to actually see it do that. You also are instructed to tape your batteries down with double sided tape that's provided in the box. This stuff is insanely sticky, so be absolutely sure you've got the wires facing upward or they'll be stuck under the foam and you'll be having to use a knife to pry them off and praying you don't break anything. Ask me how I know! :smith:

4. The instructions say to test the PCB using tweezers before installing anything. I never got that to work. I just lightly pressed a switch to each socket and tested each in VIA. Pay attention to how each socket is oriented. You'll need to install some upside down or sideways.

5. Make sure your stabs are lubed real good. You will NOT want to take this thing apart to fix them. Just follow that video to the letter and you should be okay. Also, pay close attention to how your spacebar will be installed based on where your keycap's connectors are. I had to install the stab upside down and the switch upside down. I didn't see how it could work any other way. The stab tabs go in the larger hole, the place where you screw them down lines up with the smaller one.

6. That really paper thin piece of foam goes on top of the PCB, then the stabs, then the plate foam. Be careful you're not creasing or wrinkling the thin one when installing the stabs. It helps to use some switches to hold that material down. Once you've got the stabs all on, then you put the plate foam over all that. Then the plate gets fastened on top of that. Install the standoffs on the plate first and the screws go in from the back of the PCB. Yeah, it's weird and probably unnecessary but it's nice to have everything held together.

7. The ribbon cable that connects the LCD screen to the PCB is ridiculously finicky. Pay very close attention to how pictures show how to install it in the instructions. Blue side goes up, and the sockets do not act the same. You kinda just cram it in on the LCD screen socket but you'll need to lift and latch the fastener on the PCB.

8. You'll need the Wuque Studio app on your phone to do anything with the LCD screen. You'll also need some firmware for some other Meletrix board to implement some of the LCD screen settings. You can find more info on the Meletrix Discord. I haven't figured that poo poo out yet. I just uploaded a goofy picture to my screen and left it at that.

9. The board comes with a cheatsheet with a bunch of pre-installed hotkeys. The NKRO enabling one did not work for me. Just make your own keybind for it in VIA. Also, if you want to turn the telescope LEDs off, those are connected to the under-board LEDs. Use Fn+Shift+| to turn those off if you don't like them. The board also comes with some very thin pieces of foam strips. Those apparently are used to block the under-board LEDs from shining up through the inside of the board. I did not know this and the instructions never mention them. I'll need to tear the whole drat thing apart just to put them on, but since I turned the under lighting off to turn the telescope light off, I don't really care.

10. Getting the board set up in VIA didn't work until it did. I don't know how or why.

Good luck.

Thank you so much. Truly, this is so helpful.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Here we go.... Well, I can't get VIA to connect to the zoom 98 for now so I'm in the same boat. Higher priority item: I might have a dead socket? The Fn socket won't register on the VIA key tester. Everything else on the board tested fine. I used a switch and lightly pressed it into each socket. For this one I fully seated the switch and it still won't register. I also noticed the LED is glowing green weakly and 'off' from the rest of the LEDs which are in sync. It pulses between green and then dims completely off and then back to green again. The rest of the LEDs do the rainbow. Terrible pic incoming:

If it doesn't register anything in VIA key tester that means it's dead right? That would be a tragedy but if I need to get a replacement I'd like to start on that right away. Please tell me there is something special about that socket and I'm okay. :ohdear:

kung fu jive fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 12, 2024

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Thanks! Fn + }] worked. That also conveniently taught me how to turn off the LEDs which was one of my objectives here. This was a ride. I am so tired (I did get some sleep) and this thing still won't connect in VIA but here we go:

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Framboise posted:

Fn is special and won't show up when pressed in VIA, correct.

To test if it works, put a switch in the Fn socket and another in the }] socket and press them together. If your LEDs change, it's fine.

Also be SO CAREFUL with the ribbon cable. I reopened my board to adjust the plate and...

Snapped the socket right off.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! The actual socket? That part took forever and was a huge pain in the rear end. Is there any way to fix that?

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Framboise posted:

Nah, looks like the plastic busted. And while I have a cheap soldering iron I've never used it and don't know how, much less for something so tiny. So even if I could fix it, I don't trust myself to.

Meletrix doesn't have any more LCD screens in stock, and I wasn't in love with it anyway, so I'm gonna replace it with the knob module instead. That way I get a way to control volume in a convenient way and have an extra key to set up something fun to.

That sounds like a good move. I'm not in love with the LCD either, and yes it is always on for me too. It really detracts from the classic look I was going for. I'm kinda stuck with it since there are no knob or 2-key modules in SE black. Is that how these things normally go for a keyboard release? Since I missed the window of the group buy I'm going to be hard pressed to find the addons?

VIA connected and I was able to load the json file! Thank you Framboise, for all the advice. Everything you wrote out ended up being helpful and saved me headaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
everyone out on a saturday night, living it up

me, sat at home: GIVE ME SOMETHING TO TYPE

I’m seriously in love with how this keyboard sounds. Glad I found this hobby and this thread.