Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Any of you guys got an HHKB (or any Topre I guess)? If so have you done any of the "make it a bit quieter" fuckery shown here -
unrealkeyboards.com/pages/topre-modification-guide

I realise that both are unlikely, but it's worth a try eh.
Just wondering if it's worth the effort, and cost, before I do it

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

handoferis posted:

Most of the stuff on that page is okay but whatever you do, do not lube the PCB - the guy who posted that invented this nonsense and it just causes the springs to get caught in the lube and twang a bunch in a way that you can 100% feel. I wasn't able to fix this without cleaning all the lube off the PCB and every spring individually. It's not worth it.

Also, general warning that the guy behind that site, BuddyOG is a raging anti-LGBT nutter, so, might be worth looking at somewhere like Deskeys if you don't want to support that.

Yeah, I took one look at the PCB basting and thought "lmao, nope"

Thanks for the info on the guy being a piece of poo poo, I'll get the stuff elsewhere.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

VelociBacon posted:

Del the QWERTY homosapien

lmao

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTz7RsPLkE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMKbFbQWqFo

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Phosphine posted:

This is like the creator of gif saying it's djif. Just because you chose the name doesn't mean you get to decide it's pronounced incorrectly. It's artings.

I pronounce it "jizz". Stops any arguments or disagreements

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The personal touch

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I've seen covers for keyboards on etsy in the past. Just basic clear acrylic, but they came in all sorts of sizes/percentages.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I'm not a programmer or anything close, but I've not managed to gel with my HHKB, and it has been more that 6 months now.
People may think I got it just because it looked cool, and had a funny name. They'd be right.

Haha, I almost forgot that I bought it with blank keys (looks the coolest) with visions of "just" learning to touch type. While on a weird layout. Aged 55. And not really doing all that much actual typing day to day. lmao.
I did eventually get some printed keys (some black, some white, orange space bar, it looks rad actually) but I think I'm going to sell it all and get a 75% something or other.
Oh, it has the worst bluetooth sync "system" I have ever encountered. It's just plugged in by usb now as it is such an arcane mystery made only worse by the vague and baffling manual.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

mariooncrack posted:

They sell lube in syringes. You should be able to take the keycap off and use the syringe to lube up the stabilizer in the future.

https://upgradekeyboards.com/collections/lubes/products/syringe-of-krytox%E2%84%A2-205g0-stabilizer-lube?variant=40886440558724

If you happen to have a syringe like this sitting around and anyone asks what on earth it is for, just saying "lube" does nothing to straighten their frown.
TBH, trying to explain that it is for your keyboard will only help a little

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

They look like my perfect keyboard, so nice, but on top of the already high price I'd get hosed by 20% import duty too.
Maybe for Christmas

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

First time I've seen the C64 "inspired" one. Pretty cool really, just s bit big for me sadly.

If it's from Amazon, just buy it and see if you like it, they're easy as gently caress to return

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I ended up just using a piece of wood.
Luckily I noticed that the piece from a broken cupboard door was about the right size, but I guess you could get someone cut to size if you wanted.
Blu-tac under the keyboard, and a bit of "custom cut" mouse mat, so it looks pretty janky, but it works perfectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Here's a pic of my previously mentioned "lap plank".
As promised, it looks like poo poo, but it works perfectly, and is a lot cheaper than anything I saw on the market.

I like the looks of my HHKB, especially as I have 2 sets of caps so I can mix n match, but I've not really warmed to it otherwise. Gonna sell it soon and get, idk, something else.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 25, 2024