Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

Current best friend board. Traded my last Model F away for this, pretty cool Alps SKCC board where the ancient layout isn't super far from usability (with a bunch of remapping ofc).

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm looking for a keyboard switch that, when pressed, immediately releases, as in you can not hold them down. It's ok if it has almost no travel. I'd like for the time for it to release to be around 4 frames, or 250ms.

Micro Switch SW/SD with pulse hall sensors do this, it's usually seen as undesirable so you might be able to find someone that has a board with them that they don't want. These are pretty much the only switches I'm aware of that do stuff like that out of the box - that box is admittedly something like 40 years old, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

Lazy Fair posted:

I opened up the casing to one of my broken Rosewill mechanical keyboard (drink spill on it) to see if I could clean it up and maybe replace the switches but I'm a little unsure as to how the circuit board is attached to the metal plate, anyone know? are they just held together by the soldered switches or something?

Depending on the way the plate cutouts are done on your board, you may be able to remove single switches by just desoldering that switch and popping the tabs in to release it from the plate.

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

nielsm posted:

Is there anything like a super detailed keyboard database to help find ones you may like?

I have some pretty specific requirements, and it seems pretty hard to fulfill them.
- Full size keyboard, numpad and dedicated F-key row are a must. No weird layouts for the navigation or arrow keys.
- The distance between the number row and the F-key row must be large enough to not accidentally hit the wrong row, probably about an index finger spacing at least.
- Tactile (or at least not mushy) switches, and quiet.
- Dedicated macro keys are a plus, but if they are there the software has to be really good.
- All else equal, I'd rather have something without RGB nonsense.

I managed to try the Logitech G915 in a store today, and it just barely fails. The key feel is a slight bit too mushy, and the spacing under the F-key row seems a little too narrow.
I already do have a 10+ year old Unicomp buckling spring in storage, I overall like the key feel and layout, but the keys are still a bit heavy and definitely too noisy. The bezel also makes it a bit large.

Sounds to me like you want a RealForce.

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

Rexxed posted:

I had some keycaps that were a bit loose on the stabilizers but I just used some thin paper strips to shim them a bit. Seemed okay without glue but that works too, it's just a bit more permanent.

My go-to for loose anything with keyboards (caps, stabilizer keycap inserts, you name it) is little torn off squares of cig rolling papers. They really improve the seal between parts that've lost tolerance.

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

YerDa Zabam posted:

Any of you guys got an HHKB (or any Topre I guess)? If so have you done any of the "make it a bit quieter" fuckery shown here -
unrealkeyboards.com/pages/topre-modification-guide

I realise that both are unlikely, but it's worth a try eh.
Just wondering if it's worth the effort, and cost, before I do it

Most of the stuff on that page is okay but whatever you do, do not lube the PCB - the guy who posted that invented this nonsense and it just causes the springs to get caught in the lube and twang a bunch in a way that you can 100% feel. I wasn't able to fix this without cleaning all the lube off the PCB and every spring individually. It's not worth it.

Also, general warning that the guy behind that site, BuddyOG is a raging anti-LGBT nutter, so, might be worth looking at somewhere like Deskeys if you don't want to support that.

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

Said gently caress it and decided to import a Realforce R3 from Japan cause I wanted bluetooth Topre and can't stand HHKB layout.

What I wasn't expecting was the worst Topre experience I've ever had. Fresh out of the (sealed) box, every single key had this horrible sound on bottom out, like pulling tape off skin. I used it for a couple of days hoping it would go away, but there didn't even seem to be any real improvement. So, I decided to just open it up cause trying to return it via some Japanese eBay proxy would probably be a total nightmare.

What I discovered was even weirder tbf, which is that the cause of the weird sticky sound was that the domes and springs were too dry (???) - they were so dry I could feel them wicking moisture from my skin and drying out my fingers. After rubbing them all in my fingers and smearing my personal oils all over them, everything seems to be fine now. Kinda wild to me that Topre charge over $200 for these and would ship out something so awful from the factory.

That said, works well now and bluetooth and remapping on a Realforce feels extremely luxury. I do appreciate the new design as well, cause the R2 looked a bit sad to me.

Overall, worryingly bad keyboard from factory. Excellent keyboard with added me-grease.

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

buglord posted:

My weeb coworker is going to Japan soon and is gonna take advantage of the weak yen to get a fancy made in Japan mechanical keyboard. He has several requests:

1)made in Japan
2)high quality, no flex, wobble. Incredible manufacturing processes.
3)ten key
4)hot swappable ideal because he doesn’t know what switch type he’s gonna be into.
5) preferably wireless.

I’d say the first 3 asks are the most important, with 2 being a dealbreaker if not sufficiently met.

I could have sworn ducky was Japanese but it’s Taiwanese but they’re apparently high quality right? High quality enough to hit #2?

Pretty much the main JP keyboard player left is Topre. A lot of old Alps keyboards have the ‘made in Japan’ experience but they’ve been out of production for basically ever at this point.

For modern stuff you’re basically looking at the high end coming out of China right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

Finally got my Cycle7 less than 10 days before I move abroad. Most nailbiting group buy experience so far, though now I'm touching it I really can't believe that this thing was only $139. How does China do it???