Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Framboise posted:

Took me almost 6 hours total to build this stupid loving Zoom98, dear god. So many fiddly bits and pieces, and I'm still not done. I can't get VIA or QMK to recognize the JSON file so I can actually modify keys, and the supposed hotkey for NKRO/6KRO isn't working either so I can't toggle NKRO on either.

Also also, since my computer doesn't recognize it, the whole drat board just doesn't seem to work without the USB dongle that also comes with the board, even though I'll be using it wired pretty much all the time since this board is heavy.

Also also also, guess who waited almost 2 years for GMK Daifuku and forgot to buy numpad keys. Thankfully they were still in stock so I should have them in a week.

This is a dumb hobby lmao :smith:

I got zoompad kit since I wanted a macropad to replace my keyboard for art workflow.
Took me a while and I assembled it wrong the first time but man, for almost 300 eur device it's wasted money. Sure it has huge milled pieces (which isn't this expensive) but it's battery is absolutely tiny, chips are cheap so it eats through the battery even on standby. Might as well be a wired device at this point.

It does feel very good to use tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

I have been meaning to make a faux leather cloth for wrapping around the keyboard, that you lay your keyboard on and when you are done for the day you just pull the extra length and drape it over your keyboard.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

gnatalie posted:

fwiw i have a keychron q0 plus and it's awesome, haven't had any issues with it. definitely looks higher quality than anything other than the zoompad. i use it left handed with a 2nd layer for visual studio shortcuts.

a few weeks ago they released a wireless version too!

There's a bunch of great macropads. Im just considering milling the battery slot bigger and not puting a stupidly small size battery in it.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

runchild posted:

If I were looking for a new daily driver I wouldn’t bother with anything less than a full layout, I use the arrows and numpad way too much at work. But this will see much lighter use, so I can afford to lose some keys in pursuit of smallness. Sounds like arrows would be a step too far though (for me, good on ya to everyone who rolls without ‘em). So minimum 65% would probably be best.

I was like you not wanting to compromise numpad so I got a separate macropad with a rotary encoder that has everything mappable. Fullsize keebs suck rear end, the numpad is on the wrong side and being able to separate and remap the numpad is an absolute bliss.

I went with nuphy air 75 and a zoompad special edition. I do not recommend the macropad tho.