Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The cheapo Velocifire TKL is only $24 via an Amazon lightning deal. It's 94% claimed so spitting this post out as fast as possible, in case anyone wants to try out TKL mechanical on the cheap before shelling out real money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I took a quick dip into the mechanical keyboard world and bought a Velocifire with Otemu Brown switches. I realize it's a cheap lovely keyboard with cheap lovely switches but it was $25 and was good enough to see if I liked using a TKL mechanical keyboard (I do).

The noise level is an issue though, especially now that I'm working longish hours and sometimes into the night. My wife is a light sleeper and my workspace is near our bedroom door. Are Cherry MX Browns or Silent Reds (thinking of a Ducky One 2, if it matters) quiet enough to use in a shared space, or does that more or less rule out mechanical keyboards in general? I found some videos on YouTube but that doesn't really show how the sound carries when one is typing at full tilt (nor, I imagine, would a key tester).

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Are there any "nice" (non-mechanical) multi-device wireless keyboards other than the Logitech MX Keys? I'll spend $100 if I have to but would strongly prefer replaceable batteries. I have a K380 but hate the circular keys, so that rules out the K780.

E: I ask this then immediately find more. Dell KM717 or KM7120W may be what I'm looking for.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 29, 2021

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm looking for a TKL. Quiet*, nice for typing/office work, no gamer aesthetic, willing to live with corded because I definitely don't want a built-in lithium battery that will wear out and render the thing disposable. I'm not really looking to be in the Keyboard Hobby, I just want something nicer and more durable (ideally repairable?) than my standard $40 Logitechs.

Looking at the Matias Mini Quiet Pro or the WASD V3 with MX Browns and o-rings. Anything else I should consider for $150ish? I'm not totally opposed to a one-time DIY project but based on a quick survey that appears to be more expensive. I did read the OP picks but it's also 5 years old.

* obviously subjective, my wife and I WFH from separate but nearby rooms and I'm trying to avoid this scenario:

Nobody Interesting posted:

Jeez hon, I am not going to expect you to wear noise-cancelling headphones every time I want to go on a rampant posting spree.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Yeah o-rings on switches feel like absolute mushy poo poo and don't even quiet things much, and people stopped doing that on the large when silent switches became readily available.

Ah. The O-rings can go then. This is where my knowledge is out of date. I knew things had changed a lot. My only mechanical keyboard to date was (briefly) a cheap Velocifire with Outemu Browns that was definitely a noise issue - granted I know they're low end switches and my workspace at the time was in a corner of our living room, so it was pretty intrusive.

Llamadeus posted:

In these circumstances ordinary non-silent (and non-clicky) switches might be perfectly fine as well, depending on the board.

Maybe so? Hard to say without testing it in my space. Guess that's a point in Amazon's favor for easy returns.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Since I like to follow up after I ask for recommendations, I ended up getting a Keychron Q12. It was on sale for $165 at Microcenter so not too badly over my max budget. I also looked at the Q11 (the split version) but saw some concerns over the keycap durability and it seems like getting new ones will be a hassle due to the odd sizes. Again, I'm not looking to dive into the modding abyss but I do like the idea of something repairable/adjustable in a semi-BIFL sense.

I also decided not to go with TKL or 75% because I do use a numpad often for work, and didn't want to deal with an extra thing on my desk in the form of a standalone numpad (or the extra cost to get a nice one). I'll see how the southpaw numpad agrees with me, but I like the idea of extra space on my right (dominant) side.

I also got a Glorious sample pack of switches but I am intrigued by these and may give them a shot:

Trapezium Dave posted:

My current keyboard is a hybrid tactile/linear using Akko Fairy and Penguin silent switches and it's amazing how much quieter this is compared to standard switches. Just a gentle rustle and the clunk of the stabilisers.

My wife heard me say "mechanical keyboard" and was like "oh god please no" so I will definitely have to see how quiet I can get it before the return window runs out. I think she remembers the cheap loud clacky one that I had and assumes they're all like that.

I went a bit further back in this thread and found a few posts that I thought were really helpful and should basically be the new OP:

Eric the Mauve posted:

[updates to OP]

LionArcher posted:

Overall great updates, but [more updates]

Also this struck a chord:

Taima posted:

I am honestly glad to get this done with, the keyboard space is incredibly confusing and I get the impression that it is more of a hobby than an actual product to perform tasks, for many people, which made the whole thing difficult to gauge because people are seemingly willing to spend almost infinite money on what are ultimately... more like bespoke hobby interests than "I need a keyboard for typing things good" if that makes any sense. From what I can gather, you are beginning to seriously grasp at straws past say, $250-300. Definitely curious if anyone disagrees on that though!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I almost went with a Ducky One 3 but saw some talk of dodgy QC on those as well. Between the two, a local return/exchange option carried the day, and I don't think that's unreasonable for recommending something.

gnatalie posted:

the glorious sampler is fine, but fairly limited. the gateron switch tester v2 is awesome and gives you a really good variety of tactile and linear switches. for silent tactiles in particular, take a look at gazzew u4 and mode anthracite- they both have tactile bumps without any pre-travel

Where is this Gateron sampler available? I found a v2 on the Gateron site but it didn't have either of those switches. They're both kinda pricey though. Amazon has a few silent options that are price competitive (Akko Penguin, Durock Silent Shrimp) so those will probably get first look if needed.

100+ silent keys is getting up into :shepspends: territory considering I'm already over budget, though, so I'll give it a try stock first.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

gnatalie posted:

looks like... ebay may be an option, although lemokey.com (where i got mine) says available soon. the mode sample pack is only $2; gazzew u4 are $0.65 each

Oh hey that's a much better price than I had seen elsewhere

Really hard to get a lay of the land when it's a million different switches split between dozens of retailers, all named like fruit candy or something you'd get at Starbucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Oh my God. VIA is a web app? :cripes: