Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

chippy posted:

OK, so a bit of research seems to indicate that everyone hates this coating and it makes the caps feel horrible. Yet Tao Hao caps are pretty popular in this thread and I don't remember seeing anyone complaining about the coating. What's the deal here? Is it not as bad as everyone makes out?

I bought this set:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tai-hao-purple-pbt-doubleshot-keycap-set

I seem to recall asking in the last thread about them before buying and someone mentioned that they've improved the coating process. Someone said that the prior process felt gross/sticky and would attract dirt. I haven't felt that on mine. They feel quite nice. If I had been smart, I would have gotten both of my codes together and tried the Vortex & the Tao Hao side by side, but was lazy about taking my work keyboard home. At any rate, I've swapped both keysets with the Tao Hao sets and they've been great for me.

***edit***
Oh, duh. It says it right there on the page:

quote:

We heard your complaints about the stickiness of Tai-Hao’s doubleshot PBT keycaps, so we took your feedback and acted on it. Now, we’re happy to introduce the same doubleshot PBT keycaps, this time in new colors with a considerably thinner layer of scratch-resistant coating. It still kills 99.9 percent of germs, and the keys still don the two-tone design you love—but this version retains the slightly gritty feel of the original PBT plastic. Compatible with Cherry MX switches, they're sculpted in OEM profile just like before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

The Deadly Hume posted:

For people who want a nice PBT set for a standard layout board without spending heaps of money and then waiting 30 years for them, the Tai-Hao purple/grey sets might be worth a look. There's a few nice options, the black on black mods actually look pretty great.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tai-hao-purple-pbt-doubleshot-keycap-set

These are the caps I'm currently using and they've been quite nice.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

blugu64 posted:

Might put that kit up one eBay actually as I bought a Kinesis Advantage when I didn't hear anything for several weeks.
That reminds me, I need to get off of my rear end and list my old Kinesis on SA-Mart. It has just been sitting in a box for the past year or so since I switched to my Code keyboards.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

...I might be interested. Does it work well still? Has anyone tried to play games on one of these things? I use one at work and my wrists love it, how quickly am I gonna get sick of custom controls on every game?

*breaks decade-old forums rule as moderator over nerdy keyboard poo poo*

I'll try connecting it tonight. It worked well last time I used it. I've never done any gaming with it, as I was using it at work. Only reason I stopped was because I use 10 key fairly often.

***edit***
Not sure if it matters or not, but mine has Cherry Browns. I think, back when I ordered it, that it was only offered in Reds or Browns.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

teethgrinder posted:

I love Clears/Greens, etc ... and frankly I type faster with them than Browns ... don't bottom out constantly.

But I hated the mushy feel that Blacks gave me. I really need that activation point. Gaming with Greens was fine too.

I really want to try greens. I have 2 codes w/ clears and I bottom out all the time. I've always been a heavy typist. Probably due to the fact that I was taught how to type on a typewriter and the first 10 years of using computers, I used Model M's.

I did buy some stiffer springs, but I had read that when Cherry switches are plate mounted, you have to de-solder them in order to change the springs. That sounds tedious, plus I'm not very confident in my soldering skills. Don't want to kill an otherwise great keyboard trying to improve it a bit.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

mewse posted:

POM caps are the best but you guys probably haven't heard of them, they're pretty obscure

I thought that this was what was used to get around the difficulty of doublshot PBT. The cap itself being PBT and the translucent legend being POM. Or, maybe that's just how Vortex does it?

http://www.vortexgear.tw/vortex2_2.asp?kind=45&kind2=221&kind3=&kind4=1013

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Rexxed posted:

It's also used to make whole keycaps, I have a Noppoo choc mini which has POM keycaps by default. They feel pretty good, maybe a little low friction, but they're fine to type on. Not really sure how they'll do over time but I don't use that keyboard heavily.

Neat. I'll have to see about getting a set to try.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Mofabio posted:

My wife and I keep our bedroom very wet ;) Does anyone have recommendations for waterproof keyboards, with well-EMI-shielded cords?

I can't speak for EMI shielding for the cable, but we use some Seal Shield keyboards at work (hospital) that are waterproof and antimicrobial. We have a lot less calls for failed keyboards due to Nurses spilling coffee/liquid meds in them.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Mofabio posted:

Do you have any recorded incidents of fluids like urine (human), sweat, or semen, edit: or machine tool cutting fluid, or hydraulic fluid, on the keyboards? Were they simple to wetten and scrub with disinfectant?

Nah, even though they're washable, we just toss 'em if they get grungy. I know they stand up to coffee with creamer (and likely sugar, since most people are wimps when it comes to coffee) as we've had a few of those show up long after they've dried. The company says they're dishwasher safe, so I would assume that most of those (don't know about cutting fluid/hydraulic fluid) would wash off okay.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Lazy Fair posted:

I need a new keyboard, again, tend to prefer mx brown switches and want a numpad, available in white would be nice to match my pc case. Was looking through amazon and found this but it seems kinda expensive?

https://www.amazon.com/Durgod-Taurus-K310-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B07N19RCKQ/

I bought the 75% version of that keyboard (with clears) and it's quite nice. Lately, I've bought a few Keychron keyboards since I wanted some that could support wireless if needed (that being said, I've yet to try wireless). I noticed that they have the C2, which is a 100%. They do offer it in white and with brown switches, but it's non-backlit (You didn't mention if you wanted this or not). They're out of the brown switch variant on the Keychron website, but it looks like Amazon has it in stock. Looks like it's also hot swappable switches, so you can try out different types if you wish.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I'm not familiar with that board or low-profile for that matter (I was actually considering getting one to try), but if you want to stay with low-profile switches, I know that there are a few options:
Here is a tester, with a few low-profile options:
https://www.keychron.com/collections/low-profile-switches/products/low-profile-keychron-optical-switch-set-87-pcs?variant=32264204615769
Optical
Mechanical

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Action-Bastard posted:

Well I had to ask somebody! :v:

Anyways. The more I type on that cheap 60% the more I like it.

So I decided I will take the next step and try out a Keychron w/ Browns
https://a.co/4wCdrvV

I'm going to order from Amazon so if I change my mind I can return it. Then I'm going to put on some pudding key caps because they look cool.

I'm currently using that same keyboard as my work/travel keyboard. It's been a great keyboard. My only complaint is, since they relocated some of the keys, they're in non-standard rows which can make buying keycaps a bit difficult. Took me a while to find a set I like that matches (mostly) correctly. The only key that looks a bit odd is 'End' as it's shorter than the others and a different color (They're gradient color caps).
The other possibly problematic keys are:
1.00 instead of 1.25: right Alt, right Ctrl, right function, 0/insert on the 10 key cluster
different height: delete, home, pg up, pg dwn.

The other (much smaller) complaint, is some of the extra functions (that make use of the function key + [key]) are printed on the stock caps, but many aftermarket caps may not. I don't blame them, as those functions can vary from keyboard to keyboard. So, if you replace the caps, you'll have to remember what the combos are to use those functions. I rarely do, so it doesn't really bother me much.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Withnail posted:

I just got a wireless keychron k8 and it's nice to not have the wire, but it goes to sleep and the first keystroke wakes it up, but doesn't register as a keystroke. So I've typed my password missing the first character a lot in the last 2 days.

Posting because someone will tell me how to fix this

Probably beaten already but:
https://keychronsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044087054-How-to-disable-Auto-Sleep-Mode-

I've found a few things by googling Keychron + insertissuehere

For example, when I wanted to add sound dampening inside my keyboard I just searched
Keychron K4 disassembly

and it comes up with:
https://www.keychron.com/pages/disassemble-process-for-k4

Gonna have to do that with My K10 as the Left shift key's hotswap socket is flaky.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

God that sounds like a nightmare. I type like a jackhammer so I need keys to resist until they submit from the overwhelming downward force of my fingers. I also want them to be as quiet as possible, which is funny.

Currently, in the MX style of switches, I'm a big fan of the Gateron Aliaz. Quiet, tactile and come in varying spring weights (60, 70, 80 & 100g).

Splash Attack posted:

which switches are the best if you just like to make noise
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com
Buckling spring. You can also add a solenoid if you really want to make noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5QyJOwJusQ

Splash Attack posted:

also for the new model m, are the keycaps swappable or will i have to stick with what they give me?
Technically, they can be swapped as they do sell replacements. The problem is, there's not much of a selection. I think Unicomp and ModelFKeyboards and maybe Ebay would be your best bet. Even then, They'll most likely be limited to the standard colors that IBM/Lexmark/Unicomp have all used over the decades.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Hell yes, I'm going back in time

thanks!

I've tried this in the past (late 90's early 00's) and it didn't work well, but YMMV. You might try messaging Chyrosran22 on Youtube as he's got a TON of those older style of keyboards. I don't know how responsive he is to viewers though.

Here's his review of the NMB RT8255C+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJR64zE4vL0

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Horn posted:

[*] This is nit picky but the spacebar doesn't fill me with joy as the sound is kind of hollow. I tend to hit it on the extreme right side of the key so I'm wondering if this is something better stabilizers would help with? If so is there a recommendation?
I tend to be a bit of a heavy typist and wanted to make mine quiet as I was taking it to work and didn't want my co-workers pissed. So, I bought some of that car audio sound dampening material and put some along the inside bottom of the case. That made a huge difference, but the bigger keys (Shift, Enter, Space, Backspace etc.) were still a bit noisy, so I cut a few small squares of the sound dampening material and stuck it to the underside of those keys. Now it's super quiet. I've done 3 keyboards and still have quite a bit left. I could probably send you a bit to try.

quote:

[*] I'm using the default keychron caps and I really like them aside from one thing : its nearly impossible to tell if caps lock is on or not without getting up close and personal with the keyboard. Is there a recommended place to buy individual caps?
I've never bought from them directly (I bought a few kits that were offered on Massdrop), but Tai-Hao sells some individual keys. I'm planning on ordering a kit from them soon, so I'll let you know how that goes.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

ZombieCrew posted:

Well my dumbass spilled a sugary drink on part of my mountain everest keyboard. Works fine except the spacebar stabalizers are so sticky that i cant use my spacebar. Anyone have experience pulling on of these apart to clean it? Something beyond pulling keycaps? Or should i just flush with distilled water and let dry for an extended amount of time? Id appreciate any wisdom. Tia

I'm not familiar with that keyboard, so a bit of Googling shows there are multiple sub-models under that make/model name.

I found these disassembly guides:
Everest 60.
Everest Max

I couldn't find one specific to the Core, but from what I can tell, the Max is basically the Core + modular 10key + mini display, so the Max guide should work for that.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Goons, how much am I asking for when I am looking for a bulletproof mechanical keyboard?

edit: not like, will stop 9mm bulletproof, I mean like, guaranteed to not stop working bulletproof.

What are your wants/needs (besides being reliable) and what caused your previous keyboards to fail?

Going by the sheer amount of times I've seen people asking how to rescue their keyboard after they accidentally spilled their beverage on it, I'm going to suggest picking up a plastic membrane to cover it (either that, or keep your beverages away from the keyboard). In fact, they make one for the Model M.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

ziasquinn posted:

Need goons to vicariously live through

https://mechboards.co.uk/products/hyper-7-v4?variant=41877334720717

173% Keyboard.

Chyrosran22 did a review on that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQo1es1Ihbs

Have another ridiculous keyboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDzCwbLuTO4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

kung fu jive posted:

everyone out on a saturday night, living it up

me, sat at home: GIVE ME SOMETHING TO TYPE

I’m seriously in love with how this keyboard sounds. Glad I found this hobby and this thread.

A game of Typing of the Dead can be quite fun (or frustrating, if you make a lot of mistakes. Like me).