Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

LochNessMonster posted:

Never had that happen so never would've guessed. I think I saw a stepped shift key too.

My previous keyboard had stepped Caps Lock. I didn't guess how much of an advantage that is until I switched to my current stepless keyboard. I had to stop using the "a" character in my login password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

mewse posted:

Have any of you done retrobrighting? I tried it on my AEK2 recently and it came out splotchy, showing the ridges on the cling wrap I covered it with

I wouldn't be surprised for the wrap to cause that. I think The 8-Bit Guy method of covered tub of water+peroxide works better.

Adventures in Retrobrite - New techniques for restoring yellowed plastic!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Who of you keyboard hipsters will be the first to build a proper traditional keyboard.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

Unfortunately by the time I get soldering supplies and make it safe to work in my apartment I'd already be over the prebuilds at that point. Definitely on the radar, but not gonna save me much. Programmable layers sound nice right about now though.
Also-unfortunately our other software is almost mouse-only (text input for search and nothing else) so I'm not gonna be able to pull away from that one much. Vertical mouse I have is kind of helpful but I can't tell if it's more of an issue to be switching from vertical mouse to horizontal keyboard than it is to just stay flat in the first place.
Ergonomics are hell. Especially considering that as soon as I break away from heavy typing and go home, I have next to no pain (only issues there are chair-wise, and that's another case of "I can't afford the really good stuff right now"), and that's with no ergonomic accommodation at all besides a palm rest on my CK550.

It's sounds like the mouse may be a bigger problem for you, so you might want to ask The Mouse Thread for any advice or alternatives.

The easiest and cheapest solution is to get a second mouse for the left side with the buttons reversed. This is my solution and since I've been right-mouser for two decades I nowadays try to use my left hand mostly. You may need a a mouse like Logitech that comes with a management software so you can have two mice with different button settings.

At work there was one office full of ladies that all seemed to use some kind of alternative mouse under the space bar. My favourite was Contour RollerMouse which is a rubber coated metal bar you can roll or swing left and right, But drat they cost. Another option I've considered is Apple Trackpad, but they also cost and I'm concerned how well they work with Windows. That could be extra convenient with split keyboard where you could but it between the keyboards.

I feel that with mice the biggest problem is clicking, this was especially noticeably while I've played World of Tanks where I had to continuously keep the right button pressed. Easy solution for this could be a mouse with couple thumb buttons to use instead of the normal buttons and disable the standard buttons, that would at least force you to use different muscles. I know a guy that used to have foot pedals as mouse buttons, which is a more extreme alternative.

Sounds like large part of your problem is mouse-centric software. Consider if software robotics could help with AutoHotkey or something. Press Ctrl-D and have the software click the mouse at specific coordinates.

A while ago I tested strapping keyboards on the side of my chair. Worked pretty nice but requires quite a bit of training with blind typing and would really need a wireless split keyboard. I also noticed that I don't do that much typing at home, pretty much just PgDn and F5, so didn't benefit enough.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

AHK is definitely something I've considered, but between interface lag (the terminal has to run on a VM that may not even be locally hosted - I'm not totally sure) and the unpredictable location of elements in the web interface's searches where most of my work gets done, I'm not sure how I'd get it to be reliable enough. Along with needing to figure out trigger mechanisms when shortcuts are already reserved & layers aren't yet in the picture.

You might also try F7 caret mode in Firefox. Depending on how the web interface works it just might be more helpful than an annoyance.

This post written completely mouse free.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

The whole thing is modular, the maintenance guy and I took it down two notches (27" height instead of 29") so I could manage roughly a 90° arm angle (in practice closer to 110 or so since my chair is limited in how far it can come in) without my forearms angling way up and hopefully without my wrists bending back a ton (the latter didn't work out, if a new keyboard doesn't hapoen then a palm rest like my home desk is 100% happening for that part's sake). There are alternate desk tops that round off the cutout instead (so it's just a corner curve), but that pushes me even further from my computer even if it maybe allows more actual positioning, not sure if that'll just do the same "move the problem around" thing. Not sure what else if anything is even compatible.
Also not incredibly sure that lowering the desk top was the best idea, it happened at the same time as my heavy-lifting move and after I had started running into problems, but it didn't reduce them much at all and I can't find jack poo poo on actual suitable desk height (and consequences of a too-low desk since so few people have those). Might have to walk it back but that's probably judt going to move problems back to even worse kn my elbows & worsening ulnar issues instead of the current spreading-out...

Well all the ergo advice I have ever seen or heard has started with the elbows at 90 degree angle. You can always remove the handrests from the chair to be able to move closer to the desk.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Ergonomics really is such a problematic issue. Ergo-oriented products usually have a considerable expense and it's hard to know which are actually good and especially would work for a specific individual. Any larger organization should probably purchase a collection of ergo products that can be loaned out to their personnel for testing. I too am after more ergonomic products, but I'm loathe to pay the prices and I'm even less eager to go through the procurement process and then to ask for a different product next month. I work for the IT department of a large university and I have long thought we should do this, but an obstacle would be that we aren't a loaning department. But the university library is, maybe they could handle that.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Rexxed posted:

Huh, I hadn't really watched much of his stuff but yeah, that seems kind of dumb. I guess if you just want sound deadening on the cheap with no care as to the longevity? Seems like the kind of thing you'd do for youtube but not real life. I guess that mechanical keyboards with decades of longevity don't necessarily fit into the new video every week youtube algorithm where you always have to have or do something new so you do some oddball stuff.

Well won't there be another group buy you have to get in six months, so longevity seems irrelevant.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Reading the posts on this page I started wondering if the Ergodox EZ be the Final Solution for me? Split keyboard, supports tenting, thumb keys are closer than the Moonlander and has several keys. Supports QMK firmware so should work with Miryoku, but apparently also has the Home Row Mod builtin.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Got the ErgoDox EZ on Monday and may now have reached a state where I won't be moving keys around constantly. My 3rd stage of keyboard nerdery.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Pvt. Parts posted:

Nice caps. What switches did you get on that? My buddy got one with something pretty heavy like Cherry Clears and gave up on the board after like a year. I was like yea, duh, if you get a chording-heavy board with 65g switches of course you are gonna hate it.

I chose Cherry MX Reds, they are what I've been using since I was a kid and I didn't dare to also change that over everything else. But the keyboard is hot-swap, so maybe some day.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

Almost entirely Python on VSCode. I do navigate with the F keys a lot, so that's a good idea to keep an eye out for a keyboard that has them.

This looks really rad. Re the above point it looks like the function keys are a modifier key + number key, which is good enough. It does look more than a little complicated though, lol.

This is something worth consideration. If you are using a lot of function keys would you want dedicated keys that you can find easily and activate with single press, or would it be better if they are behind a fn/layer button, but are physically closer to your fingers.

I have the ErgoDex EZ and I have configured layer switch on the J and Ö keys that I can activate with my thumbs. Combined with the home-row mod I'm quite pleased how little I normally need to move my fingers. In fact I'm slightly annoyed by how far the number keys are and have started considering creating a 40% configuration and dropping the numbers down a row. But that would increase the mental load and require quite a bit of relearning. On traditional keyboards I could press Alt+F4 by instinct, on this one I still need to think about pressing S+J+4 or E+Ö+4.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unsinkabear posted:

Why does the missing Insert matter? I didn't even notice, because I think I have literally only ever pressed that key to turn overwrite mode back off after hitting it on accident.

Shift+Insert is really great for pasting, especially in terminals where Ctrl+V doesn't work.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Taffer posted:

Are you using terminals from 1995? What kind of terminal still doesn't support normal pasting

PuTTY, Gnome Terminal, MATE Terminal, Konsole, Terminology, can't remember if I've tried it on LXTerminal but I doubt it would work. ^V already has a different purpose. The only one where I've seen it work is modern Command Prompt.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

For anyone using Home Row Modifiers, how have you configured or adjusted them? I like them quite a bit on my ErgoDox EZ, but my style of "rolling typing" still causes quite a bit of mistakes with them, in both directions. Inadvertent capital letters instead of letter pairs or vice versa. I even removed Win-key from home row as too dangerous. It is starting to feel like I won't be able to learn new type of typing.

I'm not sure if I should try to find a hardware of software solution. One option I'm considering is replacing the Cherry MX Red switches on the home row with tactiles. There are some options on the Oryx software which might help, but it's hard to estimate what effect they would have. At one point I modified some of them, but it seemed to make things slightly worse.

This week I also started another round of tinkering with my layout, giving it some 45% functionality to bring the number keys to easier reach. Although my character keys are cryptographically randomized I do pretty much remember them, so I switched the keycaps to show the second layer, as best as I could.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

repiv posted:

if your current keyboard is configurable you could unbind all the keys that don't exist on a 60% and set the remainder up like one

With a configurable keyboard you can tighten up the layout as much as you want. It's not even necessary to unbind the "extra" keys. I still have my number row intact, but I also have another number row on the QWERTY row behind modifier.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I switched to 65% and never looked back. Function keys are easy enough with your number down and modifier key. I reprogrammed my left alt to act as mod + alt so I can easily do alt + F4 without trouble.

60 was too much because of the lack of arrow keys and I dont like to remap them to mod + wasd

What do you use the arrows for and do they need to be in the standard cluster?

My ErgoDox EZ has an unusual key layout, so I'm able to put keys in unorthodox locations.

On the first layer I have the arrows on the bottom row of left keyboard. I use Down key the most, for example scrolling in the forums, so I can easily reach it with my left thumb. Up key I use second most often, so it's left of the Down and not quite as easy reach. But I also have it on the second layer for right thumb. Left and Right are on the bottom left for immediate use. Also on top of left thumb cluster, but I never remember to use them. On the second layer they are on the G and H spots, very easy to reach with index fingers.

The modifier keys for the second layer are at the B and N spots, very easy to actuate with thumbs through the gap between main keys and thumb cluster.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Objectively, it's never worth the trouble to shave off any keys from a full-size keyboard. :can:

It is so much a situation dependent. When I'm actively typing I want to be able to do everything while barely moving my fingers, all those keys way over there are useless. But when I just want to lay half dead on my chair and browse the forums I need the PgDn within easy reach.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

I'd have probably bought it immediately if it fit my Race3. On hindsight, in years of doing this, I never did find a good set that fits the Race3. I saw one or two on Massdrop that I could have made fit (one even had specific modifiers for it), but they'd have been well north of $300 USD lol. Also I don't remember them being particularly attractive.

Do the keys have to have the right text? My Esc key says "Alt".

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

If it was also orthogonal it could be about as good as a real numpad, but that would limit the selection considerably.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Wrist rests are bad for wrists. Resting your palms on them between typing is fine. When typing, proper position is to have the palms floating. But typing with a wrist rest pressing against your wrists is indeed not good for long term RSI issues.

I keep my wrist rests at the edge of the table and rest the middle of forearm on them.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Is it possible to use Home Row Mod with the VIA firmware? I haven't figured out how to do that on the usevia.app.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

CRAYON posted:

Disclaimer, I only messed with this a bit and had never heard of home row mods before reading your post. But when setting the keymap, under the 'SPECIAL' tab there is an option called 'ANY' which lets you put whatever code you want on that key.

Using that I put MT(MOD_LGUI, KC_A) on a the 'A' key and it seems to work but was causing some weirdness while just trying to type normally. I'm guessing this is because of how the tapping_term is set by default so you'll probably need to write the code anyway.

Thanks, that did it, got it to work the way I'm used to.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

death cob for cutie posted:

what is that layout

Finnish DAS with minor modifications. This gives a better view on it.

No, the crime is all these obsolete layouts people are forced to learn when they don't know any better.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 21, 2023

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I've been trying out Keychron V8 for the past week and my main impression is that the Alice/Arisu layout is a flawed idea. If you are willing to deviate that far from a standard layout, then you should have gone all the way to orthogonal/linear. Although my judgement may be affected because I have gotten used to my orthogonal ErgoDox EZ.

I feel that the bottom row is too far inboard and the keys are hard to reach, the SZX triad being the worst example. By using my custom layout with the right B as an Ins key the right side works pretty well
as a slanted orthogonal, but there is saving the left side. A smaller issue I noticed immeaditely was that the "bend" is too shallow for my taste, I would need to bring my elbows too close to my body.

I was surprised how difficult the initial adjustment to the Alice was. Most of the time I use the ErgoDox with a custom layout with no resemblance to QWERTY, Dvorak or Colemak, but once a week I goto the office and use a mechanical keyboard with standard QWERTY and I can switch to it without much issue. But when I initially used the Keychron with the QWERTY I was completely lost where the keys were supposed to be. It's like my brain assumed it should have my custom layout because of the wrist angle. After I customized the layout on the Keychron it became much easier.

My original idea was that the Keychron could work as cheaper ergonomic compromise I could use at work, and at least I wouldn't have to carry two halves to my hot desk. But maybe I am too spoilt by orthogonal at this point. Unfortunately the selection is a bit limited and all of them have some features I wish were slightly different. Do I see designing a custom PCBs in my future :emo:

While thinking about this post I came up with a possible way to measure a personalized key arrangement. A cell phone under both hands with an app that records what spot you tap, and telling you to tap different keys at increasing speed. The recorded tapping spots averaged out could tell what would be the most natural arrangement for you.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Lifroc posted:

Long story short, I'm considering dropping Colemak and just using QWERTY on the Moonlander. Has anyone ever done the same thing? Is QWERTY that awful to use on a split keyboard? The friction I'm experiencing now in games is making me consider to move back a regular keyboard, and I love my Moonlander.

Now that I think about it, your issue seems to resemble mine with the Keychron and QWERTY. You probably don't need to give up on Colemak, but you could temporarily switch to QWERTY while avoid using a standard layout keyboards. With the increased use while typing your brain will hopefully recalibrate to the new position of the QWERTY keys. If your gaming performance improves you can try switching back to Colemak.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Taffer posted:

I use qwerty on a moonlander, works fine. I've considered switching to colmak lots of times to have a more comfortable typing experience, but I always end up stopping myself because relearning or rebinding every hotkey for every game, OS, and operating system just sounds like the worst headache in the world.

I have a separate QWERTY layer on my ErgoDox for gaming.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Has anyone come across a lever or wedge to actuate a key switch horizontally?

I'd like to try how it feels like to use the space by pressing down pressing left bending my thumb from the bendy point. My Space is currently the "green shift" but I feel it might be more ergonomic if I could use "up arrow" to the left.

The Moonlander may have the right idea, but I suspect the thumb cluster is too far away.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Artelier posted:

Every time I'm tempted to get a split ergo, I look at the B placement, which I normally hit with my right hand...

ErgoDox EZ has extra buttons next to the split, you could configure one of them as extra B. But with orthogonal layout you would probably adjust to using it with your left since it's so much closer.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Koskun posted:

What is a good, won't break the bank, split keyboard (like the ergodox), but not ortholinear?

For clarification, is orthogonal acceptable, you draw the line at ortholinear?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

It's understandable to stick to the familiar, but also are you planning to end it here or take further steps later. The question is whether it would be better to take small steps or do a one big adjustment.

I've been using Ergodox EZ for a year and a half. I started with QWERTY but in less than a week a switched to a heavily customized layout with no resemblance to QWERTY. And then I continued modifying it, swapping letters and doing other changes, whatever felt more convenient. I am at over 20th revision at this point and I wish I could have jumped here immediately without having to do the constant readjustment.

But the one conclusion I have reached is that the standard layout is loving stupid. This was highlighted when I recently tried Keychron V8 with Alice layout that tries to be a compromise between standard keyboard and split. For me it somehow felt worse than standard. Also my laptop keyboard feels especially hateful and there's not much better solution than minimize typing on it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Hi Friends is there goon consensus recommended ergonomic keyboard?
  • I was looking at Ergodox EZ
  • Was hoping for something wireless (keyboard to computer) because I swap a lot between my home PC and my WFH laptop. Maybe I could just get a better docking setup.

I think an USB switch would be a more convenient solution. Either a separate device, through your monitor or some other method.

I see two problems with the wireless keyboard. There are wireless keyboards, but you also need a keyboard that supports several computers wirelessly and method to switch between them, that would probably limit your selection quite a bit. Or a keyboard that support both wireless and USB cable. Like the Blackstorm RGB Mech 2021 I bought for my niece, works with BT and USB and has a switch under the keyboard, but that is not the most convenient location.

Wireless keyboard would also solve the problem for the keyb, how about your mouse and other devices you might want to switch, like printer?

I use an Aten US424 4-device switch for swapping my keyboard and mice between home computer and two work laptops. I also have an USB microphone for online meetings I could route through the switch. The Aten has a separate switch button behind a long cable I have put next to my keyboard and I can put the actual switch where it's convenient for the cables. Two minor annoyances. I need to press the button 3 times to switch from my main work laptop to my home computer while looking at the indicator LEDs on the switch. And I'm unable to wake my computer through the switch if I have swapped between computers. So I suspend my computers for the night. In the morning I switch to my work laptop. After work I switch back to home computer but I can't wake it with the keyboard, I need to use the power button or a mouse attached directly to the home computer.

You also have software solutions like Synergy for sharing keyboard and mouse, but you may not be able to install it on the WFH laptop or your work wouldn't allow it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Is there a database of different switches, hopefully with links to knowledgeable reviews? I would like to avoid dealing with customs and buy them locally or on the EU side, but I can't remember what kind Glorious Panda or Akko CS Matcha Green are or if they are any good.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

I backed the keyboardio model 100 but I've basically never used it because while still qwerty it's weird enough that I can't (or won't) spare the time to adjust to it. Whatever I get I'll be typing on it 8 hours a day every day until it breaks. It'll sit on a desk and never move.

I think this is a perfect opportunity to be forced to use the Keyboardio and get used to it, that could be the best and cheapest option. If RSI and ergonomics are a big concern for you maybe it's time to get rid of staggered layout. I use Ergodox EZ at home and like if very much and adjusted to it quite quickly. Once a week I go to the office and use a standard layout mechanical. It's not good, but at least it has high quality Cherry Red switches. But occasionally I'm at office for a shorter time and don't bother to fetch my keyboard from the locker and use the cheap membranes instead and that gets painful just in few hours.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Despite the protestations the Keychron Q10 seems to be a good compromise of layout and availability so I'll probably order one of those (or similar) for medium-term use. If I really hate it, well, I'll throw it at a local child or something.

I tried Keychron V8 for about a month recently and for me the Alice layout felt almost worse than a standard layout. The biggest culprit were the gap between SZX and how the left edge staggers in the wrong direction in relation to my hand position. If it was available with ISO layout with small Shift-key and an extra key between Shift and Z I might have been able to make it work. Shame, I thought it could have been a nice option as an office keyboard.

There are some split staggered mechanicals which could be a closer replacement to the MS keyboard, like Quefrency. And it's even pretty affordable, but I don't anything more about than what it says on the product page. Amazon UK also has EPOMAKER Feker, which looks like a better implementation of the Alice layout but lacks function keys and Perixx PERIBOARD-335BR.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Or this may be a useful case of using different type of switches for some keys.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

What is the experience and reputation with Ergomech.store? I'm finally ready to buy a Neodox, but I'm unable to change the shipping option to something cheaper, or the payment option from Paypal to Visa, and that gives me a bad feeling.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Do you really need CapsLock? I've always considered dual-Ctrl more useful feature.

You can also do this with registry edit. This converts CapsLock to Ctrl, but it can probably work in the other direction too.

code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,1d,00,3a,00,00,00,00,00
https://superuser.com/questions/550679/where-can-i-find-windows-keyboard-scancode-registry-information

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I think the only practical option is to buy from a store with good return policy. Split keyboards aren't cheap enough either in money or soldering effort to be something you would throw away if it wasn't to your liking. A keyboards are quite a personal choice and split even more so. Especially for the thumb cluster it is hard to know in advance what kind of arrangement would be optimal for you. Columnar layout is much easier choice if you can get used to it and there aren't that much difference between models so you probably can't go badly wrong with any. I got used to columnar quite fast.

But the thumn clusters vary quite a bit and you probably don't have previous experience with them. Printing few layouts and testing if you can notice something you dislike is the best you can do.

Any split keyboard you would want to buy is most likely programmable, so that opens completely new avenue for customization. For example on my Ergodox EZ I have configured the Alt and AltGr keys below blue arrow keys to work as layer switch. They are easy to reach with thumb and the gap between keys provides a wonderful targeting guide. I would not have thought of this option before using the keyboard for quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Artelier posted:

What...what keycaps are those......the body is weak..........

(It's really a gorgeous design!! Well done on that combination)

I think it was KBDFans NP profile set called "1950s". But it doesn't seem to be available anymore, so as always, lusting after another man's keyboard will only leave you sad and wanting.