Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Yup, typing on a TKL Code w/Clears with backlit PBT caps from Vortex and it is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

Clears feel great and are socially acceptable.
Yup!
My first keyboard w/Clears was a CODE TKL that I used at home. I liked it so much that I bought a das keyboard w/Clears to use at work, replacing an older das with Browns. I recently set up a 2nd workstation in my office, and decided to use the das with Browns for it...man, it is TOUGH to go back to that. Clears feel so much better to me.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

chippy posted:

My CODE with Clears and Vortex PBT caps is like typing nirvana right now.
:same: That's my setup at home. It's the best.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Blues are for dickheads and shut-ins. Hope this helps.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

LionArcher posted:

Or people who have a private office :smuggo:
I guess now that I do have a private office, I need to pick up something with GREENS! :getin:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

I think Das w/clears can be hard to find, as it was Massdrop exclusive. I've seen it drop twice now, and snagged one last time. It is a great keyboard and reasonably priced.

Otherwise, a lot of us swear by the WASD CODE and replace the keycaps w/Vortex backlit PBT caps.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

if you're not prepared to pay frankly insane amounts of money for poo poo that's going to arrive months late then massdrop is not the place for you
They occasionally get exclusives that are pretty great, but in general I agree. (But you will pry my DasKeyboard w/MX clears from my cold dead hands.)

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Not all ABS keycaps are garbage (thinking Das,) but those that come as stock on the CODE sure are. Thin, clacky, they ping and feel cheap/light. Vortex caps are cheap and feel great, and I wouldn't get a CODE w/o getting them too.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Brightman posted:

Might be that guy got his CODE later than you after WASD changed their printing process. I forget when it was but they supposedly improved that so the paint doesn't chip off as easily. Still, thin abs is thin abs.
Stock CODE caps don't really fade anymore, but they are thin, clacky pieces of poo poo. It's kind of awful they are shipping a $150 keyboard with caps that are worse than your average $10 Dell keyboard.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Here they are in black. White is currently out of stock.
If you buy Vortex caps for a Code, buy them from that link.

Stupidly, the ones I bought from WASD had the number row with top/bottom legends that don't match up w/the backlighting of the CODE.

The Vortex caps from Mechanical Keyboards have the correct left/right legends that DO match the backlighting of the CODE.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

surebet posted:

tl;dr: get a code, they're great
This, but make room in the budget for replacement caps.

teraflame posted:

what in the world, recommending das keyboard in 2017...
The das4 pro is sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

The backlighting on the bottom of my WASD code occasionally turns off or flashes. Has anybody experienced this?